Silliker

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Miller

Pros
  • You work with some really great people so the immediate environment is tolerable(in 6 reviews)

• Start accruing Paid Time Off from day one(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours when working in the lab, don't expect any balance at all between work and home life(in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is not balanced (your life would be your work only(in 6 reviews)

Laboratory Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSilliker is an excellent place to work - fantastic people and fast-paced environment. Highly respected organization in the food industry. Excellent leadership training. Ability to learn and grow within the organization. The culture is one where people work with the highest level of integrity.

ConsIt's a service provider, so hours can be long and the work can be demanding. The labs run everyday to meet customers needs, but vacation time supplements.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve the rewards and recognition programs as well as OMD activities.

Enjoyed getting some experience, but HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT.

Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) Crete, IL

ProsGot experience of working in a lab.
    Enjoyed meeting other chemists, some will be life long friendships.

ConsNot a family oriented business, they want to get as much done as possible and say they want it done ethically but some of management's philosophies are if you can "make" the numbers work it is okay.
    Management does not care about employees, just how much work can get done in the least amount of time.
    Do not even provide coffee, but expect extreme hours (we did not get coffee because they said employees were too messy) Really?!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to talk to your employees, they deserve your respect and to be spoken to as you would expect to be spoken to. Learn how to ask not just tell, it goes a long ways.
    If you say you are going to promote from within, do it.

fun experience - good for introduction into food safety industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat place to work, fun, and good advancement opportunities.

Conslong hours, below average pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't get trapped in this job. Absolutely horrible company!

Senior Microbiologist (Former Employee)

ProsHealth benefits and paid time off are adequate.

ConsWorked my butt off taking the time to do the work the way it was supposed to be done while I watched people get promoted over me who were faking results and cutting corners just because they were sucking up to the right people in management. The level of favoritism, junior high level cliquishness, and back-stabbing behavior amongst the supervisors and ops managers was something to behold. The hours were absolutely atrocious (10-12 hour days on average). The supervisors would leave at 5:00pm every day and not even offer to lend a hand, and then act like they were doing us a favor if on rare occasions they stayed an extra hour. The salaried lab staff got the worst of it because we were told that we would not be compensated for the extra 4-8 hours that we worked a day because our salary supposedly covered overtime (yeah right, not even close). Then they would then have the audacity to tell us that every job was like being employed at Silliker and we "chose" to be there so we were obligated to put up with the abuse. Most of the people who worked there were decent people; but there were some who would trash talk to management about somebody else with the ultimate goal of moving up the ladder. It always seemed like the most abusive and mouthy people were the ones who got the promotions. Note to current staff: don't let them tell you that there is nothing better out there, do yourself a favor and find another job! Learn from my mistake, I got complacent and stayed there too long when I could have easily found a better job with better hours and salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with the respect that they deserve for the time that they put in to complete the work. Make promotions based on experience, expertise and quality of job performance not because you "like" or "don't like" someone on a personal level. The unprofessional behavior is out of control in this company. I had a member of management tell me to my face that I would never get a promotion to supervisor no matter how much hard work I put in or dedication I had because "no one liked me" and "no one would listen to me". You need to identify this juvenile behavior in your supervisors and ops managers and correct it. Recognize the need for your employees to have a life outside of the lab. Executive level management: stop running your company like a sweat shop and you may actually stop the incredibly high turnover and gain the respect of your employees. The bottom line is not everything!

Client Service Technician

Client Services Technician (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe amount of paid time off is great. The people you work with are great and the benefits are comparable to other companies.

ConsYou never get to take time off. If you do you feel bad because you pushed all your work on your co-workers. There is no work life balance. If you last over a year you pretty much deserve a medal. The managers left to go to lunch everyday and were oblivious to the things going on around them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what people are telling you.

An Absolutely Miserable Job, Please Save Your Sanity and Work Elsewhere

Microbiologist (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsLOTS of Overtime (if you like that)
    Start accruing Paid Time Off from day one

ConsImmature management, Drama, Rumors, Back-stabbing behavior. You can not trust or depend on any of your supervisors or co-workers. Everything is all about being part of the management click, and if you don't make the cut, you will be miserable. They will either make you hate your job until you finally quit, or they will send you out the door after writing you up for "incidences" that include rumors and lies you never were a part of...PLEASE do not work here

Advice to Senior ManagementGROW UP!

Hope you like Overtime

Sample Receiving Technician (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsNever have to worry about getting hours cut
    Varied workday
    Never boring
    You learn a lot
    Lots of OT
    The pay was a big upgrade for me. I started at several dollars more per hour than what I was making previously.
    Benefits and PTO. I see someone else said they didn't get these for their first year, however I did.

ConsThe lab is caught in a hiring cycle. By the time they finally find someone to hire, another person has quit. Constantly being understaffed means the employees end up being worked to the bone, which in turn leads to more people quitting/looking for other jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some part-time positions to take the stress off of full timers and allow for us to have lives outside of the lab. We're exhausted.

Physically and Mentally Draining!!!

Microbiologist 14 (Former Employee)

ProsOK starting lab job if you need experience (like others have said, last resort!!!!!!), Great young group of people to work with (which you will get to know very well due to the extreme hours), not to strict on laboratory setting (get to listen to music and say whatever you want, although sometimes conversations can get very unprofessional and out of hand), sometimes there are company events that are fun (very few though), high chance of learning new laboratory techniques (which is great for resumes, if management is on top of things of course)

ConsWork-life balance is not balanced (your life would be your work only!), can work very long hours day after day (over time is nice for the pay but you are going to get SUPER over time, I'm sorry but a few extra lousy bucks don't make up for the amount of your LIFE you gave to this company), pay is not equal to work load being done (especially if you are trained in multiple areas), hard work is not always rewarded (except with more work), work load is not fairly divided (stronger workers always end up doing more work and cleaning up after others, but gets no compensation for it), advancement is not always fair (management doesn't really know who are good workers and bad workers, and makes judgement from their own bias opinions)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and work with employees to better understand who they are as a worker, treat your workers better because they are the ones making the money!, separate personal bias from professional settings (no more favoritism!!!), inform ALL employees of current events/situations that affects the company (not just managers and supervisors, and fyi it's understandable that you have meetings weekly but you don't need to be having hours upon hours of meetings each day that takes up most of your day especially if nothing good comes from them, get up and help your team!), be more organized with your own work, and stop being so complacent!, also be more professional and nice please!

Quite demanding, yet can get you the experience needed to advance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Crete, IL

ProsChallenging job, always changing dynamic, industry standard and good at developing the tools needed to succeed.

ConsClient demands can be unreasonable and we never say no, difficult to maintain employees and constantly working long hours to meet client demand, corporate changed market salaries and did not budget for all employees to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to learn multiple things and not keep them static.

The company was a great starter job but due to low salary and amount of work it is not the best.

Senior Microbiologist (Former Employee) Grand Prairie, TX

Pros- Management was easy to work with
    - Executives were accessible and easy to talk to
    - Work was interesting

Cons- One of the lowest paying jobs for a college graduate
    - Opportunities for advancement limited
    - Required to work until the job is finished everyday (ranges from 6 hours to 16)

Worked for Silliker? Contribute to the Community!