Siltronic

Add Photos

Wilhelm Sittenthaler

Always crisis mode.

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood employees and co-workers. Good educational benefits.

ConsSeems like there is a constant state of crisis. The crisis is never resolved. It also feels like working in a bubble without knowledge of the common/best practices being employed outside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more employee movement between departments. Allow more travel to seminars and trade shows. Allow more international travel to sister factories in Singapore and Germany.

Great place to work. Teaches you how to work hard and it pays good.

Production Operator (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosgood pay, shift differential for graveyard, fun people to work with.

ConsGraveyard is hard. 12 hour shifts, and it is slow sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementi think they do a good job of managing each cell

Over the hill.

ProsThere are not stressful high expectations to deliver.

As an intern, I was given lots of opportunity to choose what sort of work to do.

ConsDoing any sort of work was very difficult due to lack of support from others, restricting computer setup, and old technology in general. Probably half the time was spent dealing with problems that shouldn't exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take on interns when the company is in the state it's in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people to work with

ProsGreat people to work with in all departments. Recent layoffs have affected moral significantly, but that is to be expected.

ConsLow pay, Portland site is not the favorite of headquarters in Germany. Many decisions are made in Germany and the disconnect can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak out of the mold and pursue success, even if it means separating from Wacker.

Sinking ship

Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat benefits. Starts off with 3 weeks vaction with max of 5 after 9 years of service

ConsPoor pay. A sinking ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better, then they will want to stay.

stable job with good work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros12 weeks paternity leave for each child

Consthe city of Portland is not business friendly which makes it difficult for siltronic to expand

Has declined over the years.

Operator II (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSplit 4/3 Work Week - Easy to plan longer vacations
    Benefits are pretty decent.

ConsLack of work life balance - Kid sick? Write up. Car Broke Down? Write Up. Death of your favorite aunt who raised you from birth? No FMLA for non-imm. family. Three write ups for any reason in 1 year - automatic termination.

Heavy swings in production - you could be laid off for 6 months, then be called back at a lower wage when it gets busy, only to get laid off again later.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that we are all human, life happens. We understand you need us to be reliable, but we have life to deal with too.

Respect those who were with you during the "hey day" of silicon manufacturing - 20 plus years and don't take away our pride by laying us off first before temp workers who make far less wages. It leaves a bad taste.

Fair compensation, Good Work-Life Balance

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsUnlike some of the other semiconductor companies, the company does not require workers to work beyond their stipulated working hours. Usually employees would knock off work promptly to get on to the company bus.

ConsThere is limited upside in career advancement as well as pay increment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize people who had made contributions to the company, especially in the middle and lower strata. The tip of the balance is geared towards the upper management. Promotion percentage is limited in the middle and lower strata.

Friendly culture

ProsPeople are friendly. Company is constantly looking at improvement.

ConsThe sustainability and the profitability of the industry in the long term is an area to be concerned with.

Pleasant Job Environment but downsizing

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsOverall, the company is well organized and the people are friendly.
    Cash incentive are given for creative ideas raised
    Basic compensation package includes medical, dental and eye care
    Encourages work-life balance

ConsManagement main focus are about the big apple and neglect several other small factors
    SRC events are regularly held but there are always low participation rate from the operational staff
    Task are always piling up due to lack of manpower
    Staff that quit are not replaced

Advice to Senior ManagementThere have been a increase in production volume and should look into increase the head count for most of the departmnets

Worked for Siltronic? Contribute to the Community!