Silver Spring Networks Inc.

www.silverspringnet.com
  www.silverspringnet.com

Silver Spring Networks Inc. Reviews

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.3

Silver Spring Networks Inc. CEO Scott Lang
Scott Lang

Pros
  • Free lunch four days a week and baristas at headquarters once a week (in 8 reviews)

• It was first in the smart grid space and booked a lot of good clients (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries below Director level are averagem not keeping up with Silicon Valley (in 4 reviews)

• Silos implicitly supported by senior managers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A lot of work but a lot of fun!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brilliant folks with a heavy focus on collaboration
    Great exposure to executives
    I could walk up to the CEO, CFO, VP etc and have a genuine conversation
    Free food Monday - Thursday
    Free snacks/coffee/soda
    They play baseball/football/basketball/olympic games on the HUGE projector screen for sports fans to watch while they work
    My manager allowed me to try projects that peaked my interest.
    Flexible hours coming in and leaving

Cons

You may work extra hours
    Friday they do not provide lunch
    Need more healthy snacks/drinks
    Better food trucks on Fridays

Large company with small team mentality. Everyone is important.

I worked at Silver Spring Networks Inc.

Pros

Great people and a great environment.

Cons

Free food leads to weight gain

Hold on to employees that add value

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, great team, low stress, good opportunity to work in great projects.

Cons

Low pay, low stock grants, company is not doing too well.

Treat people better.

Great place to exercise your leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have access to top executives and continually receive more projects when I ask for them. We have a sophisticated organization and seasoned execs from other companies, so I appreciate the maturity for a small company. Love the free food, flexibility, and the hours aren't bad either. Also, we are revolutionizing the energy market and the market opportunity is huge in the next 5 years, not just in the US, but more internationally.

Cons

The business is complex and it can take a while to understand all of the moving parts. Once we get more profitable, it seems we will add more benefits like 401k match.

Communicate more to employees, keep people accountable, and let's keep winning in the marketplace since we are small, nimble, and have a lot going for us!

Work with really smart people, always learning new things, lots of opportunities to make a difference

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting vision that makes a difference for our planet, talented colleagues, cool projects and technology, global expansion, free lunch, snack, drinks, and weekly barrista. Lots of customer interaction, employees care about the customer, and employees can see how the company helps utilities, munis, and their customers.

Cons

Decisions sometimes take longer than they could, long and complex deals, versus widget sales. No 401K match, no food on Fridays. Our products are complex and it is hard to see how all the parts work together. Sometimes business groups do not collaborate as well as they could.

Communicate more to the workforce, provide 401K match, make decisions faster

Great technology but lots of competition

I worked at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has made it past the IPO, should have the resources to continue to expand R&D

Cons

still looking for its 2013 big customer win

Encourage SVPs to collaborate with their teams, try to rebuild a culture of shared mission

Great opportunities ahead

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

+ Significiant growth opportunity internationally and in adjacent technology markets
    + Market and technology leader
    + Proven in the market to deliver on existing commitments
    + Near-term direction is clearly defined
    + Down-to-earth culture
    + Senior leadership is willing to listen

Cons

+ Business is currently focused on helping electric utilities in often highly regulated markets -- can be a challenge to motivate utilities to innovate
    + Path to achieve long-term strategy is still being defined
    + Motivation of some people is waning ..potentially as a result of the long road to IPO

+ Balance focus / resources on existing business and new opportunities that we are well suited to serve
    + Continue to bring in motivated talent that wants to drive the business
    + IPO is just a starting point, continue to push and motivate teams to get to the next level

Still finding its way but with a lot of potential

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

SSN is clearly the market leader in a growing industry. There is a lot of scope to progress if you are a high performer. The work environment is pretty good, good location, free lunch on site, good facilities etc.

Cons

There is a lack of focus. There are a so many projects going on that it can be difficult to deliver them to a high standard. The utility industry is not particularly glamorous.

Win more big deals.

Tremendous opportunity to take part in changing the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Silver Spring Networks is undertaking an ambitious effort to enable large-scale conversations about energy and consumption in a way that has never been attempted before. Working at this company is an opportunity to get in early with not only a disruptive technology, but also a technological approach to energy efficiency. If you want to help us reduce energy consumption, increase electric grid efficiency, and become more responsive when disaster strikes, while maintaining a high standard of living in our society, this is the right place for you!

Cons

Customers of Silver Spring Network are Utilities, and like any large company, Utilities have a great deal of internal political friction that makes things move slowly and sometimes unpredictably. They also are very conservative in how they roll out new technology. This culture leaks over to SSN's culture, and it cannot be avoided. However if one keeps in mind the big picture, that SSN is slowly but surely making major changes to the very fabric of our modern technological society, then the culture of the customers is simply an annoying but necessary fact of life.

Upper management does have a tendency to be insular and somewhat silent. The workers of the company are kept abreast of possible deals, necessary direction, and general strategy, but more could and should be done to make everyone feel like they are part of the beating heart of the company.

A Fast Improving Company with Great Vision and Products

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Proud to be a part of company that truly cares about changing the energy use. Smart grid is not about getting rid of the meter man, but provides the ability to conserve energy by dynamic pricing, dynamic response and stabilize the grid via distribution automation. I also like where the company is going with smart city initiative and providing the network for street lights, traffic lights, etc. This will be a game changer. I agree that management had problems last couple years, but is recognizing the issues and working actively to address them by putting the right people in charge and implementing good processes.

Cons

Lots of exciting products with too little people. It could be a bit chaotic at times. Contract awards do take a long time due to the nature of the business.

Continue to improve and put right people in charge and listen to the employees. Prioritize on projects that give the biggest bang for the buck. Vision is great, but execution is everything.