Silver Spring Networks Inc.

www.silverspringnet.com

Silver Spring Networks Inc. Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Silver Spring Networks Inc. CEO Scott Lang

Scott Lang

Pros
  • It was first in the smart grid space and booked a lot of good clients(in 7 reviews)

• Free lunch four days a week and baristas at headquarters once a week(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries below Director level are averagem not keeping up with Silicon Valley(in 3 reviews)

• Silos implicitly supported by senior managers(in 3 reviews)

A lot of work but a lot of fun!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsBrilliant folks with a heavy focus on collaboration
    Great exposure to executives
    I could walk up to the CEO, CFO, VP etc and have a genuine conversation
    Free food Monday - Thursday
    Free snacks/coffee/soda
    They play baseball/football/basketball/olympic games on the HUGE projector screen for sports fans to watch while they work
    My manager allowed me to try projects that peaked my interest.
    Flexible hours coming in and leaving

ConsYou may work extra hours
    Friday they do not provide lunch
    Need more healthy snacks/drinks
    Better food trucks on Fridays

Large company with small team mentality. Everyone is important.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people and a great environment.

ConsFree food leads to weight gain

Advice to Senior ManagementHold on to employees that add value

Great Place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood food, great team, low stress, good opportunity to work in great projects.

ConsLow pay, low stock grants, company is not doing too well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to exercise your leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI have access to top executives and continually receive more projects when I ask for them. We have a sophisticated organization and seasoned execs from other companies, so I appreciate the maturity for a small company. Love the free food, flexibility, and the hours aren't bad either. Also, we are revolutionizing the energy market and the market opportunity is huge in the next 5 years, not just in the US, but more internationally.

ConsThe business is complex and it can take a while to understand all of the moving parts. Once we get more profitable, it seems we will add more benefits like 401k match.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more to employees, keep people accountable, and let's keep winning in the marketplace since we are small, nimble, and have a lot going for us!

Work with really smart people, always learning new things, lots of opportunities to make a difference

ProsExciting vision that makes a difference for our planet, talented colleagues, cool projects and technology, global expansion, free lunch, snack, drinks, and weekly barrista. Lots of customer interaction, employees care about the customer, and employees can see how the company helps utilities, munis, and their customers.

ConsDecisions sometimes take longer than they could, long and complex deals, versus widget sales. No 401K match, no food on Fridays. Our products are complex and it is hard to see how all the parts work together. Sometimes business groups do not collaborate as well as they could.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more to the workforce, provide 401K match, make decisions faster

Great opportunities ahead

Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros+ Significiant growth opportunity internationally and in adjacent technology markets
    + Market and technology leader
    + Proven in the market to deliver on existing commitments
    + Near-term direction is clearly defined
    + Down-to-earth culture
    + Senior leadership is willing to listen

Cons+ Business is currently focused on helping electric utilities in often highly regulated markets -- can be a challenge to motivate utilities to innovate
    + Path to achieve long-term strategy is still being defined
    + Motivation of some people is waning ..potentially as a result of the long road to IPO

Advice to Senior Management+ Balance focus / resources on existing business and new opportunities that we are well suited to serve
    + Continue to bring in motivated talent that wants to drive the business
    + IPO is just a starting point, continue to push and motivate teams to get to the next level

Still finding its way but with a lot of potential

Product Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsSSN is clearly the market leader in a growing industry. There is a lot of scope to progress if you are a high performer. The work environment is pretty good, good location, free lunch on site, good facilities etc.

ConsThere is a lack of focus. There are a so many projects going on that it can be difficult to deliver them to a high standard. The utility industry is not particularly glamorous.

Advice to Senior ManagementWin more big deals.

Tremendous opportunity to take part in changing the world

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsSilver Spring Networks is undertaking an ambitious effort to enable large-scale conversations about energy and consumption in a way that has never been attempted before. Working at this company is an opportunity to get in early with not only a disruptive technology, but also a technological approach to energy efficiency. If you want to help us reduce energy consumption, increase electric grid efficiency, and become more responsive when disaster strikes, while maintaining a high standard of living in our society, this is the right place for you!

ConsCustomers of Silver Spring Network are Utilities, and like any large company, Utilities have a great deal of internal political friction that makes things move slowly and sometimes unpredictably. They also are very conservative in how they roll out new technology. This culture leaks over to SSN's culture, and it cannot be avoided. However if one keeps in mind the big picture, that SSN is slowly but surely making major changes to the very fabric of our modern technological society, then the culture of the customers is simply an annoying but necessary fact of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management does have a tendency to be insular and somewhat silent. The workers of the company are kept abreast of possible deals, necessary direction, and general strategy, but more could and should be done to make everyone feel like they are part of the beating heart of the company.

A Fast Improving Company with Great Vision and Products

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsProud to be a part of company that truly cares about changing the energy use. Smart grid is not about getting rid of the meter man, but provides the ability to conserve energy by dynamic pricing, dynamic response and stabilize the grid via distribution automation. I also like where the company is going with smart city initiative and providing the network for street lights, traffic lights, etc. This will be a game changer. I agree that management had problems last couple years, but is recognizing the issues and working actively to address them by putting the right people in charge and implementing good processes.

ConsLots of exciting products with too little people. It could be a bit chaotic at times. Contract awards do take a long time due to the nature of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve and put right people in charge and listen to the employees. Prioritize on projects that give the biggest bang for the buck. Vision is great, but execution is everything.

Company operates at 150mph+. Works for me.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe people these days all care about the company. They're all trying to just get the job done. Whatever it takes attitude is consistent amongst most of the folks I deal with everyday.

ConsNeed to be better about setting priorities correctly. Not everything needs to be done yesterday and assigned a HIGH priority value.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a minute and listen to the ideas of the folks reporting into you. A lot of smart folks with great ideas that just need to be listened to.

Worked for Silver Spring Networks Inc.? Contribute to the Community!