Silver Spring Networks Inc.

www.silverspringnet.com

Silver Spring Networks Inc. Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Silver Spring Networks Inc. CEO Scott Lang

Scott Lang

Pros
  • It was first in the smart grid space and booked a lot of good clients(in 7 reviews)

• Free lunch four days a week and baristas at headquarters once a week(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries below Director level are averagem not keeping up with Silicon Valley(in 3 reviews)

• Silos implicitly supported by senior managers(in 3 reviews)

Future-oriented green industry, but company is strategically and organizationally challenged

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsHighly competent and well-meaning people

ConsObscure & confusing organizational roles and responsibilites, muddy strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate strategy more clearly, and especially how the specific short-term goals align with strategy.

Among the worst contracts I've performed

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosfood served Monday through Thursday, Friday work from home, free beverages and snacks, convenient parking, free espresso on Thursdays

ConsThe Enterprise Software groups under DK are of poor quality. The quality of Enterprise Software (as opposed to the low level embedded development done within other groups) is very poor (ceiling high piles of steamy spaghetti code). There is no software architecture here. Poor communication in the group I was part of.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a simple problem of hiring great people. Although there are some very good people at SSN, there are also many bad people there. You need to remove bad people and hire great people.

Challenging future, terrible CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you worked at the company in 2005 - 2010, it was a wonderful, highly focused time of accelerated innovation, comparatively little politics, and a great mission statement of changing the world. It was a small company that was just starting to see some success.

The company has since deployed game changing technology at large scale and largely fulfilled its early promise.

On the other hand, selling to utilities is hard, the hardware business is tough, and margins are low. Most CEOs and founding teams want to run a stand alone company, but few can actually do it. A more lucrative sale to Siemens or Cisco could have been in the cards, but the investors and management team were enthralled by an IPO and misjudged the medium term value prospects of the company.

There is some really great technology that has been developed over time, but further developing it and extracting the most value from it will likely require a change in leadership.

ConsThere are many negative reviews because, I think, ultimately the company's share price was unable to meet the expectations and aspirations of the people it recruited and hired. And being in Silicon Valley, it's difficult to not compare.

During one year, revenue grew from $10 million to $100 million, and the natural expectations were that the hockey stick of growth would continue. Didn't happen.

The CEO has been and always will be a sales guy with very few leadership instincts that are appropriate for a Silicon Valley technology company.

From a "get it" point of view, you should know that when Scott, the CEO, first joined the company, someone needed to teach him how to use Google. We had a CFO that had his emails and calendar printed out for him, and the CEO put a contractor who happened to be his neighbor in charge of one of the few growth areas of the company. If I had to guess, I would guess that our CEO doesn't know the difference between a resistor and a capacitor, but he could spend an hour talking about his golf game and another hour about how he's a visionary.

If the stock price was way higher, I think people would complain less. But a slow moving industry, a CEO who expects others to lead without knowing how to lead himself, and ho-hum growth prospects contribute to significant employee dissatisfaction combined with a talent drain that has been well under way for the past year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hoping for the best, but not confident this company will be around in 5 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat staff, terrific opportunity to implement a greener solution. Work life balance good, as long as you get your work done, you are golden.

ConsZero communication to employees. Touchy feely "town halls" are a joke. There is a lot of "dead wood" employees here that need to leave or should be fired. HR is useless. Promises are not kept. Many managers should not be managing people! Salaries below Director level are averagem not keeping up with Silicon Valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for change. Need someone to LEAD this company, providing clear and consistent direction.

Great Place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood food, great team, low stress, good opportunity to work in great projects.

ConsLow pay, low stock grants, company is not doing too well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people better.

Avoid at all cost - unless you need the money till something else comes in.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe pay is good, and the working conditions are easy. Come in / leave when you want, and don't really get anything done ... its OK.

ConsThe technical bar is low, really low.
    The place is all about politics and spin.

The only useful things you will learn, is how *not* to do things.
    If you want a place where you can collect a paycheck while your technical skills rot, this is the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet bought out by a company that has a clue.

No vision beyond utilities. And little to no innovation of late in the utility sector.

(Current Employee)

ProsThere is no lunch served on Fridays. This is a good thing. And no one to interrupt you on Fridays as no one is in the office. Good place to charge personal electronics. Lots of parking. Get rich vicariously by auto-refreshing secform4.com

ConsLunch is served on Monday through Thursday. Finance team not large enough and not enough ownership of business. Human Resources looking at too many human backsides as they leave company. IT fails to block URLs such as secform4.com which on one hand is inspiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror. Buy not sell your stock if you think that there is up side. Ask why only one exec is not cashing in.

I Would Not Join This Company

Engineering (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThere really is no pro when you compare Silver Spring Network with other companies in the Bay Area.

ConsIf you're considering getting a job here then make sure to ask HR and other employees about the results of the latest culture survey. I think the 2 stars on glassdoor accurately reflects the results of the survey.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all members of leadership and rehire people with talent.

Needs leadership refresh

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsTechnology holds great promise!
    Lot of potential to continue to be the market leader
    Free food...

ConsLeadership is clueless on how to move the company forward
    Poor communication across the board
    Too political to get anything accomplished

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have been with the company for more than 7 years, please look for a change. It is good for the company, good for the employees and I am sure it will be good for you too. Most of the exec team has been around since the initial days and should be commended for the success story of SSN. However, it is unable to take it to the next level, please make way for the next set of leaders to take this forward.

No longer a place to work

sr Architect (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThey provide a lame lunch for free. Just get there early. No accountability, you can keep your primary job, and still get paid here.

ConsThis used to be a cool place to work, back in 2007. The I innovation stopped around 2009, and the cookie cutting began in hardware. Need a new design, let just move components around. Anyone with any ideas would quickly be shot down, if you don't belong to the very small in-group.
    At least, recently a ton of dead weight have left the company. One of the biggest problems is no longer with Ssn, so maybe there is still a chance. I've been with several companies, but never have I been so abused as at Ssn. It was a very hostile environment in the FW dev group. Anyone with their own mind, would be quickly reprimanded. If you like to be micro-managed, then this is your place.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are slowly getting rid of the problems. In fact some have left on their own. The problem is you are left with the ones that will never find jobs elsewhere, yet they are rewarded at SSN. High school diploma, you get promoted to director of new technology. Stop the nepotism.

Worked for Silver Spring Networks Inc.? Contribute to the Community!