Silver Spring Networks Inc.
www.silverspringnetworks.com Redwood City, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Silver Spring Networks Inc. Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Silver Spring Networks Inc. CEO Scott Lang

Scott Lang

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lost its way for while but hopefully is getting back on track

Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFinancially stable company with no debt and a lot of money in the bank. There is a big opportunity for whoever wins in the smart grid and internet of things markets. Some recent org changes look positive.

ConsThe IoT and smart grid markets are both slow moving today so the pay off for Silver Spring is probably several years away. That assumes they win a good a share of the market of course which will require more focus than the company currently displays.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a strategy.

A lot of work but a lot of fun!

Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsBrilliant folks with a heavy focus on collaboration
Great exposure to executives
I could walk up to the CEO, CFO, VP etc and have a genuine conversation
Free food Monday - Thursday
Free snacks/coffee/soda
They play baseball/football/basketball/olympic games on the HUGE projector screen for sports fans to watch while they work
My manager allowed me to try projects that peaked my interest.
Flexible hours coming in and leaving

ConsYou may work extra hours
Friday they do not provide lunch
Need more healthy snacks/drinks
Better food trucks on Fridays

Great place to exercise your leadership

Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time for less than a year

ProsI have access to top executives and continually receive more projects when I ask for them. We have a sophisticated organization and seasoned execs from other companies, so I appreciate the maturity for a small company. Love the free food, flexibility, and the hours aren't bad either. Also, we are revolutionizing the energy market and the market opportunity is huge in the next 5 years, not just in the US, but more internationally.

ConsThe business is complex and it can take a while to understand all of the moving parts. Once we get more profitable, it seems we will add more benefits like 401k match.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more to employees, keep people accountable, and let's keep winning in the marketplace since we are small, nimble, and have a lot going for us!

Don't work here!

ProsPaychecks don't bounce.

Free parking in Redwood City right beside the office.

Free access to a mediocre gym.

Your own desk, which comes with a light so you can see.

Quarterly all hands meetings when the CEO stands up and talks about his golf swing but ignores the company's real issues.

Free unhealthy lunch for the first 150 employees who show up. Scraps for everyone else.

ConsAlmost nobody at the company understands the customers (least of all most of the executives), so everyone ends up scrambling and responding to executive fire drills and customer escalations.

The executive team is not the A Team and not even a B or a C team. There is absolutely zero trust and teamwork among the executive staff. Execs blatantly bad mouth and undermine other execs in front of employees all the time.

Revolving door of employees who keep quitting

The more evil or incompetent you are, the greater the chance you'll have of being promoted

Unless you have a customer threatening to sue, you'll never get the company to do anything. But once that lawsuit comes in, you can do whatever you want.

Some execs bully their employees to compensate for their otherwise spineless behavior

Because everyone is so poorly managed, the company is horribly inefficient. Way too many employees with nothing productive to do.

There are about five or six good managers across the whole company. Everyone else is awful.

And don't believe any of the positive reviews! They were filled out by HR recruiters in an attempt to make the place seem less awful than it is. It's much easier to get new hires than improve the actual workplace. Of course HR recruiting is a revolving door too because nobody wants to have the stigma of bringing someone into this hellhole of a work environment.

In summary, if you're risking deportation or foreclosure, you may want to work here. Otherwise, go somewhere else. Seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company. It is beyond repair in its current form.

Complete lack of management and organization.

Redwood City, CA

ProsFree, although mediocre lunch, generous vacation policy, generous travel policies if you end up in a role where travel is part of your job. They pay for business class for all longer flights, although it appears this policy is under scrutiny. As someone else said, you also get a (used) chair, a desk and a light to help you read...

ConsThe company is mostly completely lacking management and their approach to organized work is that of 5-year olds in a sandbox. The software products are somewhere between bad and horrible shape and are mostly outdated. There is close to zero attention paid to maintainability and the approach is to throw enough engineers at tightening leaks left and right to keep the ship afloat instead of fixing fundamental issues.

Very little attention is paid to any real skills, and promotions are given randomly to whoever happens to be the best "street hustler", without any consideration for prior execution or knowledge. The general feel of the company is more of a blue collar environment than that of a high-tech business in the region.

There is also a tremendous amount of money spent on travel and outrageous "entertainment" - great if you are invited, but a moral sink if you're not part of the club.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more attention to internal problems. Invite and listen to advice from your employees or you won't survive in your current shape.

Don't waste your time, there are better companies in Silicone Valley

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice coworkers, free lunches, break rooms with free snacks. This is NOT enough to keep your employees happy

ConsUpper management does not care about the employees, over worked, over loaded, expect to work more than 50hrs/week.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees, listen to their concerns, act accordingly! you will lose good employees to better companies.

Really Rough Place to Work

Manager (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company provides free lunches
There are free snacks
Lots of parking space
Communication software used is up to date

ConsI'v been at several companies in my long work history. I've never been at a Company that has as much politics than at this Company. There is a lot of backstabbing and trash talking which really makes it a hostile environment to work in. The hours are extremely long and you do not get recognized for all of your hard work. Most departments are really unorganized so nothing is ever getting done.

Management's view on negative glassdoor reviews is "Only unhappy employees take their time to write bad reviews." They don't realize the problem. They just blame it on others.

Poorly managed company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and care more about your employees.

Not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat product placement in a growing market.
Cool technology.
A great opportunity to learn a variety of technologies.

Cons-Bizarre attempts at execution of their business plan over the 4 + years I was there
-The normal missteps and issues of any fast paced company but multiplied by 10
-Silos implicitly supported by senior managers
-I have never seen so many Product, Project, Program, New Product Introduction, etc Managers whose apparent existence is defined by moving work from one end of the building to another with little value add.

Advice to Senior ManagementProperly define ownership of projects. Give individuals the authority to execute while holding owners responsible for delivery. Convert to an organizational structure where quality processes and procedures are part of the culture. Have the guts to terminate habitual trouble makers.

Great opportunities ahead

Manager (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

Pros+ Significiant growth opportunity internationally and in adjacent technology markets
+ Market and technology leader
+ Proven in the market to deliver on existing commitments
+ Near-term direction is clearly defined
+ Down-to-earth culture
+ Senior leadership is willing to listen

Cons+ Business is currently focused on helping electric utilities in often highly regulated markets -- can be a challenge to motivate utilities to innovate
+ Path to achieve long-term strategy is still being defined
+ Motivation of some people is waning ..potentially as a result of the long road to IPO

Advice to Senior Management+ Balance focus / resources on existing business and new opportunities that we are well suited to serve
+ Continue to bring in motivated talent that wants to drive the business
+ IPO is just a starting point, continue to push and motivate teams to get to the next level

Understaffed where it counts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Silver Spring Networks Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsGood opportunity to move up if you have good ideas and the energy to push them through (a lot of that will be done on your own time, though). Great company mission. Few customers means you get to establish a good relationship with them, which makes the work more rewarding.

ConsUnderstaffed in the customer-facing roles. Management makes commitments that the staff doesn't have time to back up. Products are released on the fast and cheap while chasing immediate revenue to stay afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to change the revenue model. Take a hard look at the costs of supporting your products and price them accordingly. Don't reward people for saying they will get things done unless they actually get things done!

Worked for Silver Spring Networks Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Silver Spring Networks Inc. reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Silver Spring Networks Inc. CEO Scott Lang. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Silver Spring Networks Inc. employees.