Silver Star Brands Reviews

Vicki Updike

1. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Silver Star Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The working environment is comfortable and easy people to work with.

Cons

I love working here! I work FT, at time I wish there could be more flexibility.

Advice to Management

none

2. A Great Company to work for

I have been working at Silver Star Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at Silver Star for 2 years and have enjoyed every moment of it. I have read the negative comments on this site and would like the chance to help clarify some things. Yes, the company is very health conscience. The healthier the Team Member the lower the health costs. It's just a fact. The Team Member who despises taking the Health Risk Assessment because they are healthy, only pays $24.00 every two weeks for full health coverage after a $30 good health deduction. Not too bad in these times of rising health costs. It is a fact that smokers cost more to cover with health care because of smoking related health issue, so there is a $25.00 smoking fee ( and they only fire you if you smoke on company time on company property your personal life is your own.). Their health insurance is still under $85 every two weeks for full coverage. As for the blood drives, Yes we are BIG and giving back to the community through over $75,000 in donations to local charities and events along with saving lives with 3 blood drives a year. Is the company perfect? No, imperfect people work here, just like any where else. Do we have expectations and codes of conduct, yes we do, just like any other company. Overall, I have passed up other job offers to stay here because I believe in Silver Star Brands and like the people who work here every day. PLEASE do not let a few unhappy people with unhappy reviews make your decision about us for you. If you are interested in working here give us a chance, you might be surprised on what you find. 5 bad reviews to do encompass the views of the over 550 team members who currently work here.

Cons

The inability of some Team Members to be able to go with the changes and direction of the company bringing others down with their negativity.

3. Stressful, very stressful!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Silver Star Brands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere at the work place as far as coworkers are concerned.

Cons

They take it upon themselves to take $25 out of your pay check if you are a smoker. I completed the quit smoking program and never received my money back. It doesn't matter why you are late or absent, even if a child is deathly ill, you will rack up points you are terminated. The points don't begin to fall off for at least 60 months. This alone made the workplace stressful, when you are there and worried about a sick child or elderly parent.

Steady decline into nothingness...

Current Employee - Buyer/Planner
    Current Employee - Buyer/Planner

I have been working at Silver Star Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The two tolerable things this place has to offer: a FEW decent team members on your team and decent PTO.

Cons

1.) I urge you to look elsewhere and really read all of the reviews on here - the only reason some good ones are on here is because HR asked all senior management to go out and leave positive reviews... truly comical! 2.) Turnover for salaried employees is at an all time high since I've been here... the door keeps revolving and spinning. 3.) Major departments including ecommerce, planning, merchandising and marketing are not aligned at all and will stab you in the back the first chance they get and twist that knife. 4.) Strategies are determined by what new book has been read and how senior management twists the theory to fit their particular needs. 5.) The level of drama is equal to an episode of Empire. 6.) Promised raises or bonuses don't happen like they say they will. 7.) The new Merchandising/Product Development Managers backtrack on their decisions based on their moods, making long-term planning impossible. 8.) Seriously - look elsewhere unless you want to derail your career...

Advice to Management

Give yourself the pink slip. Oh that's right, you'd have to open your eyes first...

6. marketing and merchandising

Pros

Great culture where you are empowered to make decisions, which provides opportunity for advancement. Company truly cares about its employees and the community.

Cons

The focus on bottom line results and short term profits makes focusing on positive long term decisions a challenge.

If you have a different offer or opportunity, don't start here.

Pros

I can't think of anything. I've heard the benefits compare okay to other employers. Other departments may fare better, too.

Cons

i have seldom met more miserable, cliquish, immature people. I've been surprised to hear of anyone rating their experience here in any kind of satisfactory manner. It's possible other departments are more pleasant to work in than mine. It really is. We don't mix much. I certainly wish I had said no when offered this position. My supervisor gossips about everyone else right behind me. The HR dept is borderline psychotic. The health initiatives would be fun for someone, but I am personally consistently resentful about being told how to live my life. You can even get fired here for smoking. I get it, I do, but my business is my business. I don't even smoke, but the idea that they could tell me what I can or can't do on my personal time is offensive. Work/life balance is a joke here. Your life is here. If i get harassed about one more fitness initiative or blood drive, I'm going to pop a vein. i am my perfect weight, and very healthy, I just have no time for these intrusions and their "motherly" advice on how to eat and move and live. For some reason, they care about blood pressure, just not any other part of anyone's lives. I'm sure this approach attracts some people, but instead of organizing blood drives and other crap, I'm sure we might have better stuff to worry about. Like hiring an HR person with an actual heartbeat. If you are offered a job here, and have any other options, any at all, please do not work here.

Advice to Management

Give up. You're not equipped to do this.

8. Small Company Feel

Pros

Colleagues were great and formed life long friendships.

Cons

The compensation given didn't reflect the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Compensation

Working for Silver Star Brands is like having the Titanic as your lifeboat.

I worked at Silver Star Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent vacation time, if you get the opportunity to use it. They also issue you a paycheck every other week... that's really about it.

Cons

I could write a novel of the ridiculousness that goes on in this company, but here are a few things: - Nonstop complaining from management and the Executive Leadership Team about sales and improving. - Meetings that are repetitive, meaningless and a true waste of time. - Micromanaging taken to an entirely new level (especially salaried employees). - Office politics and favoritism by management (the people they like have no idea what they're doing). - Overall lack of vision, clarity and communication. - Managers and directors are some of the most condescending and rude people you will ever work with. - Turnover is at an all time high in the company... 6 people from one department all left in about 5 months. Do yourself a favor and apply elsewhere - while this company may seem cheery, fun and nice during the interview process it is literally the joke of the Oshkosh community.

Advice to Management

No need for advice. I think management is getting exactly what they want. I would not be surprised if this company goes under in the next few years...

Teamwork, Integrity, Structure and Recognition

Current Employee - Product Planning in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Product Planning in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Silver Star Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Silver Star Brands Corporate offices for over half a year now and the differences between the Corporate culture here and past employers is leaps and bounds beyond what I ever imagined it could be. The environment I had been working in previously was incredibly toxic and though the business was doing OK, employee morale, empowerment, personal growth opportunities, promotions and teamwork were not on their radar. Although my position is not always easy and I have the same stresses, deadlines and measures similar to previous roles the quality of the environment here and the continual and successful execution of Silver Star Brands to engage employees to participate, recognize hard work, recruit excellent talent, appreciate their employees and support us in all aspects of our personal and professional development makes the entire experience of working here a joy and a pleasure to come into the office and be the best employee I can be and makes for a happy, healthy dedicated employee.

Cons

Having to park my car on the open roof of a parking garage in Wisconsin in the winter time is a pain but the only con I have come up with so far and one I can live with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open forums, employee programs, team building and committees. The ability for a company this size to have the services, culture, momentum, vision and environment is something to be proud of and always keep in the forefront.

Wish I could give 0 out of 5 stars!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Silver Star Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay you... that's seriously all I can think of - most people dread going in each day.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin with Silver Star Brands (formally known as the Miles Kimball Company). If you are a salaried employee, don't expect your pay to be good - we're far below where other companies are. The company will try and attract talent with their "vision and values" statements; however, all of these are a complete lie. The ELT (Executive Leadership Team) that is in charge of everyone is beyond out of touch with their teams. If someone on the ELT thinks of an idea, we won't think about how we'll get there or accomplish it, we'll just do it and fail 99% of the time. Of course, the ELT person that decided we should go this route won't take accountability - it will be everyone else who will get in trouble. Basically be prepared to hop on a pendulum and swing from one direction to the next daily. You're asked for your opinion all the time; however, if you are honest, you're then scolded and told you need to collaborate with other teams more. Every department is against one another and communication between teams is truly comical. I strongly urge you to look for employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They've heard it all before and nothing changes.

RSS Feed </> Embed