SilverFern

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
4.3

James Brock & Derek Fisher

Learned a lot, Made good friends.

Former Employee - Lead Executicve in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Executicve in Chicago, IL

I worked at SilverFern full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a family atmosphere there that made it a very fun and energetic experience. I Loved that there was an emphasis on philanthropy and helping others. and the best perk of all is starting work in the afternoon, it gave me the whole morning to do anything I needed for the day!

Cons

Sometimes customers are rude and that can get frustrating.

One man's trash is another man's treasure

I have been working at SilverFern full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job is challenging. It tests our abilities to perform on a consistent basis and then pass on what we learned to others. I've made some of my best friendships with the people here and it's a kind of special bond that only people in our business can relate to. I've learned so much, ranging from having critical conversations, how to conduct meetings with fellow co-workers, the structure of advancement and why we do what we do, to the overall humility of doing an important job that most people can't or won't do. We try our best, there are days where we get on each other's nerves, but the team culture here is that I guess we're striving to be one big happy family that can succeed together and help each other reach our goals.

Cons

The biggest challenge here is overcoming our own doubts and fears. Sometimes people get frustrated and like most places of work, venting happens when really all we have to do is put it in perspective and realize our challenges just make us better. There really isn't a lot of sympathy for excuses, but then again, the leadership team doesn't offer excuses for their situations, either. So I guess it's kind of fair.

Stop trying to please all the people all the time. Focus on the committed people, and let the people who don't understand what you're trying to accomplish weed themselves out. Spend more time with the people with potential. Sometimes it seems like the squeakiest wheel gets the grease, I'd like to see more attention given to those who are really committed to the tasks at hand.

Not for the weak hearted

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SilverFern full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training program is focused on developing management skills and career advancement. Work ethic required to advance, there is no room for anything but 100% effort
    -Advancement
    -Transferable Skills
    -Budgeting
    -Administration
    -Training
    -Interviewing
    -Mentor-ship
    -Competitive
    - Work environment
    - Charity

Cons

Work ethic is noticed, no room to slack off

Keep doing what you're doing!

VERY high turnover, CEO Derek is a gossip.

Former Employee - Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at SilverFern full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met some great people there and absolutely NONE of them were assistant managers or above. Management is a joke.

Cons

Well over 40hrs that you are NOT properly compensated for and a 6 day week. You are expected to work from 11:30am to about 9pm during the week and from 10 to 3-6 on Saturdays. They lie and tell you that it is 40hrs a week but you are expected to be there MUCH more than than. Not including weekly team nights which are also, not optional no matter what you are being told.

The CEO Derek is a perv and if you are a woman, he will definitely make you uncomfortable. Derek will create personal vendettas against other employees and start gossip/rumors. I have NEVER worked for a company where the CEO finds this type of behavior acceptable.

The pay is very inconsistent, and while you are training you make a total of $0.

This is the reason the turnover rate is so unbelievably high.

Behave professionally and stop acting like a child with hurt feelings all the time DEREK. Also, be more honest about the time expectations of the job. It IS more that 40 hours a week and Saturdays are NOT a "half day".

I was sold a dream...don't fall for the swindle!

I worked at SilverFern full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met a couple...literally a couple of genuine people there that truly cared about my success and neither of them were my leaders. I also got to "explore" various areas of the city because I was given a map with four highlighted streets with little to no proper directions on how to get to my assigned area.

Cons

You will be required to work close to 12 hours a day in ALL of the elements because, as stated before, this is a door-to-door sales position! Not only are you required to work long days and NOT be properly compensated, you also HAVE to work on Saturdays! Therefore you have little to no time to truly recover from an intense work week.

You fly through a quick 4 day training process, that is NOT actually paid where you are suppose to learn a variety of sales techniques that can change depending on who is training you each day which can be confusing for someone that is just starting out.

I said I was sold a dream because they will constantly tell you how "fast" you can move up in the company which is not always the case depending on the neighborhood you are assigned, who trained you, how well they trained you, and a variety of other factors, Even though the managers and leaders know the realities of this job, they still find a way to say you did something wrong, even when you didn't, if you don't hit daily/weekly goals.

Invest more into training and actually care about your employees' overall well-being.

Customer acquisition specialist

Current Employee - Customer Acquisition Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Acquisition Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SilverFern full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-real life communications/sales/management experience
    -growth opportunities
    -good environment with helpful coworkers

Cons

Strong work ethic required, not for the type of people that just want a random job

When the calf becomes a bull

I have been working at SilverFern full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great work environment, peers, growth potential and Transferable skills

Cons

100% focus every minute of everyday

Showing the benefits of what we do early on in office.

Unlike any company I've ever worked for

I have been working at SilverFern full-time

Pros

Positive energy hydrates the air the minute you step into atmosphere

Cons

I m not there now its the weekend!!!

Keep dong what you are doing.

Amazing oppurtunity for a career!

I have been working at SilverFern full-time

Pros

The business culture provided is unlike any other job or career out there. The ability to advance is laid out in front of you and encouraged beacause growth for the client means more oppurtunity for the business and employees.

Cons

The hours required for the job go well beyond those of your average work week. As transparent as the business structure tries to be there are a lot of small details left out of the initial breakdown that could sway some people in the opposite direction.

More than meets the eye..

Current Employee - Acquisition & Training Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Acquisition & Training Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SilverFern full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team based environment with an awesome atmosphere, both directors and all employees are great to be around. It's more than just a job, you find yourself getting closer and closer with not only fellow colleagues but management as well.

Cons

The job is a lot of work and a lot of dedication, but very rewarding as well. If you have a strong work ethic it's easy to strive in this industry.

Keep up the good work and keep promoting quality leaders!