SilverSky

Tim Harvey

Very Good Company with a highly diversified support challenge

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training with very supportive management
    Good starting pay with opportunities to become very technically proficient
    A comfortable work environment
    Growing and staying current with lots of options for customers

Cons

Previous history of acquisitions has created a complex array of service environments to be supported
    Rigid structure for escalations and multiple tools depending on contracted service
    Challenge retaining staff once they become proficient in their roles

Complexity of environment requires innovative approaches to retain employees valuable to them and to others. Focus on retaining managers using effective communications that leverage the talent of their staffs.

The overall working environment is fine. Not very good benefits.

I worked at SilverSky

Pros

Standard job, no overtime. work 40 hours a week.

Cons

The benefit plan is OK, including insurance, 401K. No training program, they expect you to learn in work.

Develop training and coaching program for new hires.

they have treated me well

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

very flexible, people I work with are great. As long as you get you job done and do it well you will do fine.

Cons

Like any midsize company, times direction is not clear and at times communication is lacking.

communicate all your employees want to know what is going on , all the time.

Great people, need more access to decision makers

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is top notch. The industry is exciting and there is room to grow.

Cons

Sometimes, executive management doesn't understand day to day operations in a way that affects prioritization.

Spend some time with the folks doing the day to day.

Going no where...feels like the company is dying

Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paychecks don't bounce....yet! I have coveredparking.

Cons

In the last half of the year, there is this hushed sort of vibe that some thing is wrong. A lot of older employees have left and the newer employees don't seem to know what they are doing.

SilverSky has some terrific opportunities to provide great solutions but often misses the boat.

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility in work hours. Great opportunities for networking and capitalizing on building substantial partnerships with customers Terrific Channel Partners and reseller partners that have forged lasting relationships. Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Lack of direction from the executive team. Company Goals and Objectives are not consistently or clearly communicated. Getting everyone on the same page and striving to meet the same goals within the organization is not encouraged or well articulated. No matching 401k. Corporate Traditions and celebrating the employees need to be revamped or revitalized. Various departments are isolated and often siloed from each other. Cross communication and collaboration is not fostered or nurtured as much as it could be. Professional growth and development opportunities are not substantially supported - other than: you can get your own training.

Provide a matching 401k for employees. Clearly communicate goals and missions for the company, management team, and employees. Provide leadership styles and management styles and clearly communicate those to employees and direct reports. Encourage employees to think of their own management and leadership styles. Provide an org chart so employees know each other and what departments we work in and support. Focus more on what has made SilverSky successful in the past and revisit those successes. Maybe we need to evaluate what we've done well and what's brought the most success to the company and think about reincorporating those opportunities. Celebrate employee successes more effectively. A phone call or personal email from the CEO or CTO from time-to-time would probably go a long way for morale. "I heard you were instrumental in closing this deal....well done! Congratulations." Or, "I heard this customer was impressed by your above-and-beyond attitude. Thank you so much!"

Holding on by a thread - Kindve a messaging company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fair amount of lenience when it comes to time off or working from home, if your the type of person who likes doing the same repetitive thing all the time, are not interested in moving up the ladder or just find comfort by a lack of change this is the place for you.

Cons

Compensation is a joke compared to compared to what the same positions at other companies earn in a 10 mile radius, but here your expected to grin and bear, work yourself into psychosis so that you burn yourself out so badly you can't bear to look at a computer screen after a few days of work. On-call? you better expect it. Overtime? If you signed up as an hourly employee and got lucky with your manager, you might be able to milk it. Every year the employees are told "we have had the most profitable year and have made so and so more millions of dollars and sales" yet we are consistently losing our good employees to companies who don't churn and burn through their staff, our security and messaging support and devs are severely lacking and raises are few and far between not to mention their is always favoritism behind it.

As a former dev from the boston office I would'nt recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Decide whether you want to be a messaging company or a security company. Your attempts at trying to do both are not working and it will end badly once customers start smartening up and the competition pulls them in. Treat your people better, hire more qualified developers and provide just a little transparency to all employees and departments.

Lots of variety

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been here 8 years - my job and my supervisor has changed 5 times in that period. Since I like variety, this is a plus for me. Each of the people I have worked for has been a pleasant and easy boss. I do best when not micro-managed and I have not been in the entire time I've been here.

Cons

It can be tiring at times as you can get overloaded. Fortunately, there is an end to the overload - at least so far.

While there are possiblities for advancement, I hear from a variety of people, that there aren't nearly enough, so people get discouraged.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at SilverSky full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good product and really smart people with a lot of internal resources.

Cons

Lots of changes and boiler room mentality

Cold calling does not work when selling an expensive cloud solution.

Use them as your " Steping Stone"

Current Employee - Messaging Support in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Messaging Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dress code is casual, hours are flexible, If your looking to expand your networking, Exchange, Sec eng career this is a place where you can do it. Once you obtain the experience and certs needed, it's best you move on.

Cons

Thier expectations far exceeds their offering pay rate. Training= (DIY) the worst I've ever experienced. Although you are legally entitled to a lunch, & 2 breaks, dont expect to be able to take them and be able to leave on time that day.

VP and above, QUALITY over Quantity.

SilverSky Photos