SilverSky Reviews

3.4

SilverSky CEO Tim Harvey
Tim Harvey

Lots of variety

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been here 8 years - my job and my supervisor has changed 5 times in that period. Since I like variety, this is a plus for me. Each of the people I have worked for has been a pleasant and easy boss. I do best when not micro-managed and I have not been in the entire time I've been here.

Cons

It can be tiring at times as you can get overloaded. Fortunately, there is an end to the overload - at least so far.

While there are possiblities for advancement, I hear from a variety of people, that there aren't nearly enough, so people get discouraged.

Going no where...feels like the company is dying

Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paychecks don't bounce....yet! I have coveredparking.

Cons

In the last half of the year, there is this hushed sort of vibe that some thing is wrong. A lot of older employees have left and the newer employees don't seem to know what they are doing.

SilverSky has some terrific opportunities to provide great solutions but often misses the boat.

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility in work hours. Great opportunities for networking and capitalizing on building substantial partnerships with customers Terrific Channel Partners and reseller partners that have forged lasting relationships. Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Lack of direction from the executive team. Company Goals and Objectives are not consistently or clearly communicated. Getting everyone on the same page and striving to meet the same goals within the organization is not encouraged or well articulated. No matching 401k. Corporate Traditions and celebrating the employees need to be revamped or revitalized. Various departments are isolated and often siloed from each other. Cross communication and collaboration is not fostered or nurtured as much as it could be. Professional growth and development opportunities are not substantially supported - other than: you can get your own training.

Provide a matching 401k for employees. Clearly communicate goals and missions for the company, management team, and employees. Provide leadership styles and management styles and clearly communicate those to employees and direct reports. Encourage employees to think of their own management and leadership styles. Provide an org chart so employees know each other and what departments we work in and support. Focus more on what has made SilverSky successful in the past and revisit those successes. Maybe we need to evaluate what we've done well and what's brought the most success to the company and think about reincorporating those opportunities. Celebrate employee successes more effectively. A phone call or personal email from the CEO or CTO from time-to-time would probably go a long way for morale. "I heard you were instrumental in closing this deal....well done! Congratulations." Or, "I heard this customer was impressed by your above-and-beyond attitude. Thank you so much!"

Holding on by a thread - Kindve a messaging company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fair amount of lenience when it comes to time off or working from home, if your the type of person who likes doing the same repetitive thing all the time, are not interested in moving up the ladder or just find comfort by a lack of change this is the place for you.

Cons

Compensation is a joke compared to compared to what the same positions at other companies earn in a 10 mile radius, but here your expected to grin and bear, work yourself into psychosis so that you burn yourself out so badly you can't bear to look at a computer screen after a few days of work. On-call? you better expect it. Overtime? If you signed up as an hourly employee and got lucky with your manager, you might be able to milk it. Every year the employees are told "we have had the most profitable year and have made so and so more millions of dollars and sales" yet we are consistently losing our good employees to companies who don't churn and burn through their staff, our security and messaging support and devs are severely lacking and raises are few and far between not to mention their is always favoritism behind it.

As a former dev from the boston office I would'nt recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Decide whether you want to be a messaging company or a security company. Your attempts at trying to do both are not working and it will end badly once customers start smartening up and the competition pulls them in. Treat your people better, hire more qualified developers and provide just a little transparency to all employees and departments.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at SilverSky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good product and really smart people with a lot of internal resources.

Cons

Lots of changes and boiler room mentality

Cold calling does not work when selling an expensive cloud solution.

Use them as your " Steping Stone"

Current Employee - Messaging Support in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Messaging Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dress code is casual, hours are flexible, If your looking to expand your networking, Exchange, Sec eng career this is a place where you can do it. Once you obtain the experience and certs needed, it's best you move on.

Cons

Thier expectations far exceeds their offering pay rate. Training= (DIY) the worst I've ever experienced. Although you are legally entitled to a lunch, & 2 breaks, dont expect to be able to take them and be able to leave on time that day.

VP and above, QUALITY over Quantity.

Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at SilverSky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people at SilverSky are great. They're also fairly generous with the vacation & sick days & will allow most staff to work from home when it's impossible to get to the office.

Cons

Where do I start? First of all, I received little to no training while I was employed at SilverSky. I had to train myself. Also, don't expect to get the recognition you deserve for a job well done. I worked hard, showed up early, stayed late, did EVERYTHING that was asked of me & then some, implemented cost-saving programs, etc. All my efforts went unnoticed. The managers play favorites horribly. The same people who do an average at best job get all the recognition while the people who are doing the real work get none. Raises were few & far between (there was always an excuse about company not making enough money) which was difficult since the pay is extremely low in the first place. They will also make excuses in order to not pay bonuses that are due the employees. If you travel, you are expected to pay all your own expenses & reimbursement takes months. There is SO much more, but I don't have that kind of time.

Please implement some sort of training for your employees. Also, STOP the preferential treatment. There are far too many good employees at SilverSky who continually get ignored while mediocre employees get constant praise (including awards).

Amazing turnaround story

I have been working at SilverSky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company on a great growth trajectory with a fantastic new management team. Clearly defined product strategy and the company finally ditched the dated old brands and baggage with a cool, modern brand. Ops team is top notch - really great group of people to go to work with every day.

Cons

Getting fewer and farther between, but there are still some manual backend processes that can create a little extra overhead here and there.

Keep it up! The changes over the past 3-4 years have been dramatic and for the better.

Really enjoyed my time at SK!

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at SilverSky full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great field with a ton of upside potential.

Cons

Many talented people with great work ethics.

Try to hold on to great talent when you have them.

Horrible place to work and terrible customer service after the sale

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at SilverSky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really cant think of any pros other than you do get paid on time I just see all the fake reviews being posted to get the glassdoor score up

Cons

Management simply has no idea what they are doing since they cleaned out the executive team and hired guys who know nothing about security deciding to make a messaging company.

Honestly advice would be pointless to the management team.. More to the investors wake up and clean house hire a team with some common sense

SilverSky Photos

Security from the cloud
Milford office glass decal
SilverSky on the road @ an industry conference
Lobby