Silverado Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
3.5

Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Pros
  • you get the opportunity to make a difference every time you go to work (in 6 reviews)

• The atmosphere with the kids and pets is incredible (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The only word that perfectly describes the Home Office atmosphere is (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management with no knowledge of marketing becomes involved in the sale process (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Feel valued and that I'm making a difference

I have been working at Silverado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My team is amazing and the support we have for one another, encouraged by Silverado's culture, is truly something I've never experienced before. Being a support system and resource for partners in the field helps to impact more lives and further Silverado's drive to change the way the world views individuals with memory loss. There are career opportunities and support from leadership to grow and reach further advancement. The work environment at the Home Office is wonderful, with a game room and walks for needed breaks, plus pets and children welcome at any time truly livens up the place.

Cons

Some of the systems and procedures are outdated and confusing, specifically around finance, but I'm hopeful as the company continues to grow, these will evolve too. The cost of benefits are also quite high, and while there are some incentives that help to offset that, lower cost plans would be appreciated.

Definitely one of the better companies

Current Employee - Caregiver
    Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Silverado full-time

Pros

-you get the opportunity to make a difference every time you go to work
    -if you're an animal lover it's great to have resident pets around
    -management seems to actually care about its employees
    -seems like they promote from within
    -can bring your pets or kids to work if they aren't a distraction
    -pay is slightly higher than other companies
    -if you're patient and kind this can be a very rewarding job
    -they often take steps to accommodate employees like adjusting schedules, shifts, etc
    -love the motto and how residents are expected to be treated with dignity and love
    -challenging

Cons

-hours can be inconsistent
    -the culture, at least the location I work at, can be very political and catty. There are many cliques and it's exhausting to have to try to navigate all of it and adjust to some coworker's attitudes.

This is a challenging job that requires team work and although work politics can not always be controlled, SEVERAL coworkers have said that the gossip and unpleasant personalities have made them consider leaving. If this continues unchecked, the people who only work at Silverado because it's the highest paying job they could find are going to pressure away many of the people who actually align with the company's values.

An enjoyment to work with seniors and people who have a heart for them.

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Azusa, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being able to work with people who have a heart for seniors. It was also enjoyable to work and also have the time to interact with the seniors as well. I also love the fact that their motto is LOVE > FEAR.

Cons

One of the challenges is there wasn't much room to grow where you wanted to go. There are a few opportunities to grow but overall not much.

A better opportunity for Caregivers/CNA/LVNs to actually get their breaks.

Cna

I have been working at Silverado

Pros

Coworkers are nice I love them

Cons

Mangers need to work are things

Be nice

I feel like I make a difference

I have been working at Silverado

Pros

The people are great! Everyone is friendly and supportive and I really feel like I'm making a difference. Leadership encourages personal growth and well-being. Love how Home Office associates are encouraged to visit communities and other locations.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Be open to new ideas

Most rewarding and fulfeeling job

I have been working at Silverado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company of Integrity
    Really imbrace LOVE > fear:
    Silverado aligns with my core values are
    Allows you to be who you are
    Company that listens
    Believe in growing you in your carrer

LOVE: Allows you to love all you incounters: Able to have true conversations
    INNOVATION: Listens to ideas to Make Silverado the best of the best: Truly World Class!
    FAMILY: Very important to have family involved and support family, from our resident's family to all associate family
    ENGAGEMENT: Allow you to engage with our residents to give them a more quality of life and associate are engaged with what they do & how they do it. True sense of pride and ownership.

Get/Give: Silverado wants you to get more than you have to give.

Truly allows you to make a difference

Cons

Not a thing! Keep it up!

Keep doing what you're doing!

I have a sense of pride working for a company who believe in what we do and believe in me.

Best job I have ever had

I have been working at Silverado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The home office, the residents, and the engagement. The communities are beautiful and the residents lives are changed. Lots of growth opportunities and support.

Cons

Getting too close to the residents and patients and seeing their disease progress. Compensation is more than fair given all of the food and engagement but this could always be an area of improvement.

Sep 8, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

I am so glad to hear that this is the best job you have ever had! Thank you for your 5+ years of service to those we serve.

If there are any specific areas of improvement you would like to
    ... More

Love my job and the company - glad to be doing something good in the world!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest perk of this job is helping families and this is by far the best job I have ever had. I look forward to going to work everyday and I appreciate the very high standards that are expected of every associate. The culture is amazing and I see it being practiced all the way to the top. Hard workers are rewarded and if you want to grow in your career, there are programs and support available. I feel that I am valued as a part of the team and I can always talk to my manager if I have issues. It is a friendly and loving environment.

Cons

Some of the operations and systems could be improved or updated, but I think that will happen over time and as the company grows. The benefits are a bit pricey.

401K could be improved and vacation time could be increased or maybe have a couple more national holidays added to time off. Make decisions sooner about associates that are poor performers. Sometimes these people are kept in their job for a long time which puts more work on others and causes frustration and resentment.

Sep 8, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for your service to our residents, client, patients and their families. I believe we all come to Silverado for more than just a job. We come here for the opportunity help families in need ... More

Home Away From Home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family Oriented, Great Benefits! Room for Personal Growth, You go home feeling good, knowing you've made a difference in the lives of others. You definately get more than what you give working at Silverado.

Cons

No Challenges. Every day is a blessing.

Yearly Town Hall Meetings are a great way to stay connected Sr. Executives.

Sep 8, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

It is so great to hear that you are getting so much out of being a Silverado associate. There are very few companies out there that take the time to allow associates to connect to the executive team ... More

Used to be a better company to work for prior to all it's growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Silverado part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The residents, the families and most floor staff.

Cons

Expect you to work long hours and not great with compensation with time off if you work over your 43.86 hours a week that is expected of leadership. They used to really be a company with high morals, that lived by its standards and Love over fear, but that is no longer the case. It all comes from fear and if you do contact HR thru the 800 number and tell them your name or even if you do not they record your voice and report it to your supervisor and then they find some reason to get back at you. It is so sad because there are so many associates that really care for the residents and families but corporate only cares about making money and the census and not the residents or families or its associates. As much as it says it does, and that you can talk freely at town hall or to leadership, you can not with out retaliation. It is best to just do your job, love the residents and family and keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself, because if you voice any concerns you are on their black list and will not last long.

Walk the walk and do not always just trust your leadership team members word for it, but interview the whole team when a situation arises. Follow your company values and live the LOVE>fear motto, because when you come down for announced visits all it is prior to the visit is fear fear fear for days. make pop in visits and at off times and weekends and talk to floor staff and families. Then also talk to leadership one to one and not just floor staff during town halls. Surprise visits would really open your eyes to what your communities really feel like. Your panned HR responses to this is funny we will see if you really take any of my suggestions.

Sep 8, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

We absolutely agree that the best part of working at Silverado is helping those we serve, their families and our associates. I would like to address a few of the comments that you made in your post ... More