Silverado

Updated November 15, 2014
3.6

Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Pros
  • you get the opportunity to make a difference every time you go to work (in 6 reviews)

• The atmosphere with the kids and pets is incredible (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The only word that perfectly describes the Home Office atmosphere is (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management with no knowledge of marketing becomes involved in the sale process (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty Good Company...

Current Employee - Caregiver in Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Silverado part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's been six months working here, and I am pretty satisfied. I am a nursing student so I feel it's very important to get this type of experience out in the nursing field.

-My boss is great! I feel comfortable going to April for questions and concerns and she is always on top of it! I am very grateful to have a boss that's approachable and tries to help me out as best as she could!

-The atmosphere is pretty welcoming hence it's in a "house like" facility.

-I love my residents...ahh, my job...I am not going to lie, it's hard work, but it's a great feeling to help others.

-The Huntington sure loves to eat, and I do tooooo :) ..What can I say, food makes people happy = one big happy community.

-Staff is all very friendly, I am the youngest one so I believe I adjusted to everybody quiet well...

Cons

-I am a part timer, so ...I kinda don't have weekends to myself. (my life goes on though...)

-I have about 3-4 years of caregiving/CNA experience and I started off at the lowest/"starting" pay. It just makes me curious how much experience do you really need to have to start off a bit higher (I am at 10.50). . . (I am not complaining though, I am very grateful)

I've been told to by a resident's family that silverado "markets" out to resident's family that their loved one will always have a ratio of 7:1. False. it's either 4:1, 3:1, or 2:1. I work PMs, and I don't think we need that many caregivers on the floor, however, 1 or 2 floaters would be nice. I only say that because yes, we work as a team, however we each have our own groups of residents to take care of, so floaters standing by (it least for the last half of our shift) would be very helpful to keep the whole team on track of schedule.

-We need floaters on the floor to keep our schedules on track.
    -The pay could be slightly higher for people with a couple years experience. In general, we do get hit, slapped, come in contact with sicknesses, open wounds and bodily fluids putting ourselves at risk everyday...
    -I'd like to see some type of policy for us caregiver's protection against violent residents. I feel pressured when it comes to dealing with violent residents. I've been told before, "being afraid isn't an excuse, I don't wanna hear that..."

...that kind of offended me, what about my safety?

They don't practice what they preach.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at Silverado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The residents are amazing. Most of them are kind and appreciative. Families are in tough situations and as a Silverado associate we had the opportunity to make it better.

Cons

As a member of Leadership I was frustrated and fired after only three months. There is a lot of lip service to the 'Silverado Standards', 52 written guidelines to the culture that the founders want to maintain, but it is just that - lip service. Associates get upset with Leadership, but Leadership has their hands tied. They say you can be honest and genuine but honesty got me fired.

Support the Communities by hiring more competent Administrators. Don't retaliate when you hear something you need to, but don't want to, hear. Train the associates before expecting them to know the 'culture'.

I drank the "Love is Greater than Fear Kool-Aid but then realized it was being served by Jim Jones

Former Employee - Family Ambassador in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Family Ambassador in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LOVED the residents and working with families at Beverly Place - good training for sales

Cons

Bullying by a clique of high school minded administrator and he best friends - numerous reports made to HR without any disciplinary actions - water games, gossip, throwing employees into the pool - etc. nonsense.

Replace the Beverly Place management team - it has wonderful residents and families, perfect caregivers and great kitchen staff

Definitely one of the better companies

Current Employee - Caregiver
    Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Silverado full-time

Pros

-you get the opportunity to make a difference every time you go to work
    -if you're an animal lover it's great to have resident pets around
    -management seems to actually care about its employees
    -seems like they promote from within
    -can bring your pets or kids to work if they aren't a distraction
    -pay is slightly higher than other companies
    -if you're patient and kind this can be a very rewarding job
    -they often take steps to accommodate employees like adjusting schedules, shifts, etc
    -love the motto and how residents are expected to be treated with dignity and love
    -challenging

Cons

-hours can be inconsistent
    -the culture, at least the location I work at, can be very political and catty. There are many cliques and it's exhausting to have to try to navigate all of it and adjust to some coworker's attitudes.

This is a challenging job that requires team work and although work politics can not always be controlled, SEVERAL coworkers have said that the gossip and unpleasant personalities have made them consider leaving. If this continues unchecked, the people who only work at Silverado because it's the highest paying job they could find are going to pressure away many of the people who actually align with the company's values.

Oct 27, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for promoting and supporting Silverado. We are glad that you recognize that we make a difference every day and that as a company, we really do value our associates.

Our culture is what
    ... More

Feel valued and that I'm making a difference

I have been working at Silverado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My team is amazing and the support we have for one another, encouraged by Silverado's culture, is truly something I've never experienced before. Being a support system and resource for partners in the field helps to impact more lives and further Silverado's drive to change the way the world views individuals with memory loss. There are career opportunities and support from leadership to grow and reach further advancement. The work environment at the Home Office is wonderful, with a game room and walks for needed breaks, plus pets and children welcome at any time truly livens up the place.

Cons

Some of the systems and procedures are outdated and confusing, specifically around finance, but I'm hopeful as the company continues to grow, these will evolve too. The cost of benefits are also quite high, and while there are some incentives that help to offset that, lower cost plans would be appreciated.

Oct 27, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for being one our biggest cheerleaders! At Silverado, we truly value our associates and we are all here to make a difference and enrich the lives of those we serve. We know we can always ... More

An enjoyment to work with seniors and people who have a heart for them.

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Azusa, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being able to work with people who have a heart for seniors. It was also enjoyable to work and also have the time to interact with the seniors as well. I also love the fact that their motto is LOVE > FEAR.

Cons

One of the challenges is there wasn't much room to grow where you wanted to go. There are a few opportunities to grow but overall not much.

A better opportunity for Caregivers/CNA/LVNs to actually get their breaks.

Oct 27, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

We want to extend our sincerest gratitude for your 5+ years of service to our community in Azusa. We would love to talk to you and learn more about what opportunities you would like to explore and ... More

I am a former employee of this company

Former Employee - Anonymous in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Silverado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The philosophy love is greater than fear is great. They allow time for vacations with no questions, Great floor nurses, Great Caregivers.

Cons

The staff resident ratio that they advertise is false. The caregivers/floor nurses are over worked and unappreciated. There are no advancement opportunities for the floor nurses. Call offs run rampant there by the caregivers with no regard to the staff that actually show up to work. The open door and confidentiality policy is laughable. If you make a complaint the retaliation is denied but well noted (have seen great employees lose their jobs shortly following a complaint against administrative staff members). The training/orientation is not good due to so many call-offs the management team has to put a new employee with NO experience on the floor just to prevent them from getting their hands dirty. The staff is taught that the" customer" (family members of residents) is always right. The non administrative staff is often treated poorly by the" customers" but in order to keep a bed occupied, they prefer that even though treatment is less than that of a feral animal, that you smile and allow your self worth be stomped into the ground.

Appreciate the staff that shows up to work everyday. Help out more you can get your hands dirty as well. Stop the favoritism. Stand with your employees!! trust them, believe in them, show them that they matter more than a green piece of paper.

Cna

I have been working at Silverado

Pros

Coworkers are nice I love them

Cons

Mangers need to work are things

Be nice

Oct 27, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for doing what you do to support those we serve. Please reach out to our Associate Concern Hotline or a member of our Home Office Human Resources team. We want to hear when our associates ... More

Most rewarding and fulfeeling job

I have been working at Silverado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company of Integrity
    Really imbrace LOVE > fear:
    Silverado aligns with my core values are
    Allows you to be who you are
    Company that listens
    Believe in growing you in your carrer

LOVE: Allows you to love all you incounters: Able to have true conversations
    INNOVATION: Listens to ideas to Make Silverado the best of the best: Truly World Class!
    FAMILY: Very important to have family involved and support family, from our resident's family to all associate family
    ENGAGEMENT: Allow you to engage with our residents to give them a more quality of life and associate are engaged with what they do & how they do it. True sense of pride and ownership.

Get/Give: Silverado wants you to get more than you have to give.

Truly allows you to make a difference

Cons

Not a thing! Keep it up!

Keep doing what you're doing!

I have a sense of pride working for a company who believe in what we do and believe in me.

Oct 27, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

We are all proud of what each and every one of our associates is dedicated to every day – enriching the lives of our residents, clients and patients. Thank you for sharing your story with others ... More

I feel like I make a difference

I have been working at Silverado

Pros

The people are great! Everyone is friendly and supportive and I really feel like I'm making a difference. Leadership encourages personal growth and well-being. Love how Home Office associates are encouraged to visit communities and other locations.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Be open to new ideas

Oct 27, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for being a part of Silverado and doing what you do, every day, to make the difference and improve the quality of life for those we serve. Our home office associates love to visit with ... More