Silverado Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Pros
  • You get to make a difference in other's lives (in 6 reviews)

• You can bring your kids and pets to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The only word that perfectly describes the Home Office atmosphere is (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management with no knowledge of marketing becomes involved in the sale process (in 3 reviews)

1. RN

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Hours Great Pay and great people

Cons

On Call, company protocol, sometimes wish washy

mixed bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can bring your pets or kids to work. 99% of coworkers are pleasant, positive, and sweet to the residents. Family members are usually fabulous. They're under a great burden, yet they stop and thank you, and sometimes get to know you. When their loved one is there at length, you become part of their experience--and it's personally meaningful to make that connection.

Cons

Upper Management Does not take employee's feedback seriously. More concerned with image than reality. promises more to families than they can deliver. What they claim to do, and what they really do are often worlds apart. For example, Silverado's web site claims that at one particular community, the residents do A, B, and C. I worked in that building for two years and it didn't happen. One community might be really good in an area--say, resident engagement. Another community might be completely different in budget and priorities. Pets--residents keeping pets, and the community animals are a lovely idea and a great marketing tool. However, Silverado doesn't prioritize animal safety and quality of care. it varied according to the employees' level of concern, ability and willingness to advocate for the animals who are in most cases more defenseless than residents. Even if Silverado as an entity doesn't actually 'care' that the animals are living creatures, they should invest in one of the most popular features to prospective and current families. In my experience, an animal has to be strangled or suffocated several times before anyone listens to concerns. There was a turtle who outgrew her tank and had almost no room to move. it took over a year before anyone took action, in spite of family and employee concerns. I realize all employees are busy, and may not have the time or the training to be concerned with animal well-being when resident well-being can be so overwhelming. However, I actually had more than one organized solution to the issue, that would not have cost corporate anything extra, overall. No one with any power was really interested in listening to solutions--because maintaining status quo wasn't really affecting them. Resident care is the same. I saw some very unsafe transferring practices in at least two separate communities. Unsafe, yet not against policy. I mentioned to supervisor of the particular department-- and she became angry and sarcastic. She has no training in PT/OT and I do, if she doesn't care about the residents or employees getting injured, she or upper management should at least care about the potential lawsuits. In summary, in my opinion, the Silverado I experienced was very short-sighted. I feel the way things were handled at my primary community is analogous to landlords I've had in the past: a house could be structurally unsound, crumbling at its foundations. Yet they slap a few costs of paint on, maybe replace a board here or there--so they can rent it out to someone else--buying up more properties so they can repeat the process exponentially. Silverado has a great mission statements, and I believe, most likely began as a solid structure. But it's crumbling in ways that require more than short-term solutions.

Advice to Management

the town meetings sound like a good idea--I never was able to attend due to the nature of my position. However, the employee consensus is that they're a farce. I worked at a hospital years ago that had a great way for feedback to truly be anonymous. Everyone randomly was assigned a number--then over a month or so they would have days specified for say, odd numbers 1-50-and then when it was the day your number came up--you did everything electronically and anonymously. Changes were made based upon feedback received, some small, some big. Management would do well to invest in employees concerns and grievances. The same company had another policy that Silverado would do well to implement. I'm sure I'd still be employed if this was the case. their policy was that, if someone got fired, they could request a jury of their peers and basically have a "hearing". If the jury felt the termination was unjust, the person would be re-instated. I'm sure it didn't apply in cases of illegal activity, etc. I've heard of too many people getting terminated for unknown reasons or personal reasons at Silverado. Something like this would be a great feature to tell employees their contribution is valuable, and you don't want to lose good employees over misunderstandings or possibly a dysfunctional link in the managerial chain. I would still be employed, I'm sure. I loved Silverado's stated mission, the residents, team members, pets, and families. I stopped pursuing a more lucrative career because I felt I had a purpose in being there. Yet, when I was suddenly terminated, the reasons they gave didn't ring completely true. I still don't know why I'm not there. I'm not disgruntled--I would go back (in another capacity, if asked.) But if corporate management wants a strong company--one that is there for a purpose in addition to profit, they would do well to pay attention to articulate team members and former team members. It's easy enough to see who is being sincere, and who is just blowing off steam. thanks for reading. Oh, one last thing. Have you guys ever considered that most of your employees, especially caregivers and service personnel. wouldn't be able to afford care at Silverado, even if their entire career was spent there? I know there is long term coverage, et al...but I sincerely doubt its adequate to cover Silverado care. I think your company would do well to start a pre-paid coverage plan of some type that silverado employees could pay into ahead of time, and if the time comes they could use that plus a discount of some type. I haven't worked out all the details in my head-but I just think it's only fair. Alternately, whatever long term coverage you do offer, I hope you make sure it would actually cover care at Silverado

Wonderful Company on Paper

I worked at Silverado full-time

Pros

Associates, residents, and families make the work very rewarding! The engagement actives offered to all residents is really enriching for the residents.

Cons

HR is supposed to help protect associates, but instead they bully people into shutting up or quitting. It's very sad when people fully believe in the culture created by Loren and Steve, and want to be a part of giving LIFE to the residents, but feel like they aren't wanted because they express concerns. Also, insufficient training and staffing. There is no wonder the company has such a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

HR needs a course in ethics, as does upper management. Something is lost from Loren's and Steve's vision on how the company should be run and how the upper management teams actually run the communities. Town Halls are a nice idea, but what about the regional directors? It seems as though how the communities feel about them isn't important.

5. LVN

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Sliverado has one of the most pleasant atmospheres to work in. It's one of the best asisted living communities I've ever worked for. They are very professional & management is great!! Every resident is treated with respect & so much care.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

6. Silverado

Pros

Home office associates are fun to work with, career development opportunities, culture is great, fun events, residents, salary, work-life balance, Executive Team is friendly and knows all by name, pets and kids at work, free fruit and coffee, safety rewards!

Cons

401k match, limited holidays, 90 day wait period for benefits, low salaries for community staff.

Advice to Management

It's nice to be recognized for a job well done. You do a great job letting people know they are loved and truly want them to be a part of Silverado for the duration.

Terrible Company to work for, really!!

I have been working at Silverado (More than a year)

Pros

Families, residents, and coworkers are all great! People who actually care make work and life in any job a wonderful place to work in.

Cons

Many associates from management (especially regional) are unprofessional, unethical, and down right corrupt. I have had the negative experienced a extremely lewd video shown to myself and other coworkers while other regional personnel were present. Mind you this was management team members showing a very inappropriate video that disrespected women by calling them a word I cannot and should not type (it rhymes with Witch). I do not want to reveal who I am or where I work for fear of retaliation in losing my job :(

Advice to Management

None...it any advice falls on deaf ears (that and No One Cares!!)

Receptionist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Silverado full-time

Pros

None other than you can bring your kids to work

Cons

Pretty facility but all smoke and mirrors behind that décor. Management is always in meetings and unavailable. All about the money. Revolving door for employees. People do not leave if they are happy and treated with respect.

Advice to Management

Get new management

9. Excellent Work Environment

I worked at Silverado full-time

Pros

By far the best senior living community I have ever worked for. They really care about their residents as well as their employees. They go above and beyond on their level of care for seniors. They encourage employee's to bring their well-behaved children to work. You can even bring your pets if you show shot records. All in all, a really wonderful family feel to this company.

Cons

As with most jobs, upper management can be a bit clueless about the realities of what is going on on the floor with the residents. They tend to keep employees who should not be working there longer than necessary. The pay isn't great for all the work you do. They are frequently understaffed, but that is the nature with most senior living communities.

Advice to Management

Offer raises and such for acceptation employees. Make the level of care a competitive thing so people are constantly striving to be better. Pay more attention to the caregivers you hire.

Great company

Current Employee - Leadership in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Leadership in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feel like i'm doing great work when i get home and feel proud of what i do.

Cons

It's not a perfect company but that's true for all companies. The pros overpower the cons of working at Silverado.

Advice to Management

Continued integration of service lines.

Worst Experience In My Career

I worked at Silverado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of outstanding clients, family members, and medical/healthcare professionals. Training is excellent. First and second level of management really embraces you and wants you to learn and succeed. Is always there for you via phone, text, or email. Good benefits. Base salary is good. Support from the corporate office in Payroll and IT are excellent. Company phone and iPad are appreciated.

Cons

The interview process is very long and I took this to mean they were very selective. Knew the negative reviews on Glassdoor had to be posted by under performing or disgruntled employees. Was told there would be life balance, growth potential, no weekends, and management really cared. Nothing could be further from the truth. Had been in my role for 2 1/2 months when management hired 2 VP's out of the major players in healthcare to come in and grow the company. Immediately the company went down the toilet. I have run multi - million dollar companies in my career and have not see anything the likes of how they rolled in and took over. It was no longer about the relationships you were building out in the field but the numbers. On July 2nd at 5:15 pm, Administrator and account reps where notified by email that we are to start working weekends with no comp time offered. This means you were to work 6 days a week. To hell with it if you have family, parents to take care of or plans. One weekend I had to hire my own caregiver to take care of my mother so I could put in my sales calls. I used to speak with my manager every day and was told I was doing an excellent job. Not to worry about a thing. One day my manager suddenly stopped speaking to me. I called, emailed and text asking her if everything was okay. Even asked if my job was on the line. Never heard from her unless it was a business question. Two weeks later I was released from my position because they could no longer afford my position. I had 8 appointments scheduled with major players in the upcoming two weeks. I asked them to please contact these people to let thing know that I was no longer there. It did not happen and now my professional reputation has been compromised. At networking events people have come up to me to ask why I stood them up or did not call to cancel or change the meeting. This is now a completely different company who knows nothing about leadership, the value of top talent, ethics, and professionalism.

Advice to Management

Take leadership courses. When you bring in a new level of management, communication about changes needs to be announced professionally and not at the last minute. Communicate upcoming changes, the new direction you are looking to go in, and then roll things out. Empower your employees. As they say in Integrity Selling, everything must be in congruence. It's very nice that your HR department always comments on this site that they would like to know more about our negative experiences. Do exit interviews if you really want to know what is happening with your company. I asked for one and have yet to receive a call. Be aware that the clients DO read these reviews. I had two clients ask me about the negative reviews and I had to put on a dog and pony show to tell them they were not true and just negative people who could not perform. Since sharing this with my manager, I see that there are suddenly glowing ratings. Last but not least, remember what you are doing and why you got into this industry of helping the elderly, providing memory care, and the dying. Use compassion. Treat people with dignity and respect. If they ask a question, make sure your management answers it. Give a minimum of 2 weeks severance pay when separating with an employee. Don't terminate someone on the last day of the month which means their benefits end on that day and have no cushion for the next month since you did not give any severance pay. It's the right thing to do. Take a hard look at what you really want Silverado to become. Do you want to be like all those other firms and just make money. Or do you want to be the Silverado that I had known about about when I was VP of a memory care company and would refer clients to your community over the last 2 years prior to joining what I thought was going to be the last job I would have.

RSS Feed </> Embed