Silverado

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook

Loren B. Shook

Great working environment.

ProsFlexible work schedules. Coworkers are helpful and hardworking. Relaxed work environment.

ConsManagement is tough on employes.

Community Ambassador

ProsThe culture of Silverado is not something you find in other companies. The idea that we get more than you give is felt everyday at The Huntington, seeing that most of the staff has been here for years. They stay because the reward of helping the residence each and everyday as a group is something you just don't see in today's workforce. They are truly a team in the truest sense of the word.
    I have been humbled by the acts of kindness that I have witness.
    This is a great place to work.

ConsI seriously can not think of one negative comment. It is truly fantastic work place.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour open door policy allows me to feel free to talk and share my thoughts without feeling I am interrupting.

"Happy"

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Azusa, CA

ProsI have been with Silverado for 14 years and have been able to see the growth and dedication each Associate can bring to the community. I have been able to witness the peace of mind families need and the dignity of life our residents deserve. My children have grown up to witness another side of aging and have benefited from the life of each resident. Pets are a plus and I too have brought my little dog to work until his passing in November 2013. The benefits are great, from health insurance, dental, 401K and opportunities to have a portion of education fees reimbursed every anniversary year. I am recognized for my hard work and dedication. My pay is fair but the feeling of being among co workers who are more like family and residents that thrive is worth more than my pay, and that is what matters most.

ConsThere is nothing negative I have seen or felt with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a wonderful job making sure each Associate counts. Thank you for having monthly support groups for us, for montly dementia training opportunities, for the caught you caring forms, for all the yummy treats that are provided regularly, for the opportunity to grow with in, for the yearly town hall meetings, for growing nationally and giving more individuals the ability to support themselves and their famalies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful place to work

ProsGreat culture, staff is family, residents are loved.

ConsNone, everyone is kind, job is hard but rewarding

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate staff more

Taking one for the team of caregivers...

Caregiver (Current Employee) Alhambra, CA

ProsFeels like everyone is family oriented, beautiful atmosphere..

ConsAs my title said, taking one for the team. This review is for the Alhambra location. The staff and I would like to give corporate a few tips that (crossing fingers) could hopefully change up a few things.

Us caregivers an CNAs love our job but we don't feel like we are appreciated enough.
    If you think about it, we are the main faces to the residents, put them to bed, between rounds at night we change them, help them up to the toilet, back to bed, up for breakfast and watch them the entire day till night (you get the idea). Us caregivers would like more credit as we don't think it's fair out rates start at 9.50 per hour. We wish you would take into consideration the fact that we are for our residents and lets face it, it's not as easy as it seems. It's back breaking work. Our jobs consists of lifting residents to the bathroom and changing them in bed. Majority of them can't even move. Each of us got a position as a caregiver because the person who interviewed us saw and realized we care for our residents and we love what we do. But that doesn't mean to give us such low pay. . There is les back breaking work at McDonalds for about .50 cents more. If you go on salary.com average hourly for a caregiver 1 on 1 is around 11-14 dollars (imagine having a group of about 5 residents to keep an eye on and help with bathroom and grooming) ... It's not an easy job. And the 2 percent once a year isn't much.

As we are the MAIN ones taking care of our residents, I feel we get lack of incentives. I love my job, some of us have been here for years and still have troubles paying the bills. Please note this is a concern that we don't get paid enough for what we do. And that this is a message from all of us caregivers and CNAs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the economy and gas prices going up, we as a team of caregivers and CNAs here at Alhambra think we deserve a better rate. 9.50 isn't cutting it for all the back breaking work we do. We also think there should be more incentives and bonuses opportunity. We just want corporate to know it takes a lot to be a caregiver, not anyone can deal with cleaning dirty messy diapers and have the patients with elderly like we do. It's not just flipping burgers. In and out pays there staff a higher rate than us. Why? That's not right. We do a job that not a lot of people can stand. Please pay more attention to us. And take better care of us. We are the main faces of Silverado.

Loved the residents, hated administration.....especially corporate

LVN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

Pros-The residents steal your heart
    -The families for the most part are very involved and verbalize appreciation
    -The caregivers and other nurses REALLY care about the residents and give good care
    -The working hours and availability of extra shifts if you want them
    -You can make a difference in at least 1 residents life everyday
    -Ability to make lifelong friendships with staff and/or family members

Cons-Corporate, corporate, corporate only care about money and not the residents or staff
    -keep staff who blatantly do not show up for work, yet let others go who really want to be there, solely based on "personality"...which means they do not kiss up to upper mgt and corporate
    -If you kiss enough behinds....you can go all the way to the top
    -the mgt form their own opinions about the residents and staff and rarely listen to your concerns

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and make it about the residents and the people who take care of them and not just about the money. Make advancement about the person....not your opinions of them......if they can do the job, then promote them into it......you are losing a lot of really qualified people....and staff who really want to be there in favor of hiring an unqualified person for $2 less, then having to fire them.

Silverado Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting responded to this review

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for providing more than five great years of service to so many of our residents, their families and our fellow associates at our Calabasas community. We really do have an outstanding team ... More

Wasted time and energy

Professional, Master Level (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCan't think of any right now

ConsVery negative, paranoid office atmosphere. They smile and act nice to you, but crucify you behind closed doors. I've never been treated this way in my entire career.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might want to do some exit interviewIingto see what's really going on in the isolated little offices, what is that turnover really about?

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for posting your response. We are proud to say that we have taken your advice and there have been significant changes to our San Diego office in the past few weeks.

Because of input
    ... More

In theory, great "standards and philosophies" in practice- not so much.

ProsYou can bring your kids and pets to work. The residents are amazing and a privilege care for.

ConsThe standards that the company were founded upon are now mere suggestions. When Loren Shook rolls in to town, everyone goes in motion- not out of love, but out of fear. The company has become census driven, person centered care is a thing of the past. Benefits are outrageously expensive, there is no transparency or safety for associates to voice their concerns. HR is a joke. Company spends more time flying people all over the place than providing meaningful opportunities for associates or residents. The company appears to have changed focus since the REIT became involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your roots and reasons for doing what you set out to do and stay there. Your residents and associates deserve this. Treat your associates as if they are important to your operation. Obliterate the culture of fear that has been created surrounding "home office." Hold people accountable to the standards you created.

Jun 11, 2014

We are always looking for feedback from our current associates. We encourage our associates to provide their ideas and suggestion through our annual associate satisfaction survey, town hall meetings ... More

High standards for associates, and that's as it should be!

ProsYou get to make a difference in other's lives. Hard work does pay off here. The culture is very positive and loving. I get to work with some of the greatest people I have ever met in my life. The animals and children that come to work with the associates!

ConsTraining is not very thorough. Every community seems to operate differently. It sometimes feels as though there are "favorites". The "way to do things" sometimes seems a bit vague and unstructured.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake things more "across the board". Give feedback to all associates within the company. Home office needs to be more of a support to the folks on the field, more than just telling us when we do things incorrectly.

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for your 3+ years of service. Your commitment has truly enriched the lives of our residents, clients, patients, and their families. Our culture really defines Silverado as an innovator in ... More

Good company but some managers need more empathy!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers, residents, holiday pay, 401 k match

Consyou are suppose to do anything to reach their goals.

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for your 5+ years of service. I am glad to hear that, overall, it was a positive experience. Silverado has a great team dedicated to not only enriching the lives of those we serve, but ... More

Worked for Silverado? Contribute to the Community!