Silverado Reviews

77 reviews filtered by
3.1
Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Pros
  • you get the opportunity to make a difference every time you go to work (in 6 reviews)

• The atmosphere with the kids and pets is incredible (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The only word that perfectly describes the Home Office atmosphere is (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management with no knowledge of marketing becomes involved in the sale process (in 3 reviews)

1. Silverado Hospice

Former Intern - Intern - Monthly in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Intern - Monthly in San Diego, CA

I worked at Silverado as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, helpful staff, great management

Cons

Difficult working with high turnover rate

Advice to Management

None

The worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Caregiver
    Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Silverado

Pros

The residents are so sweet

Cons

Communication is terrible. Management is disorganized. Turnover rate here is astounding due to the low pay and heavy work load

Advice to Management

Get it together! This place is a complete joke. I would never recommend anyone sending their loved ones here!

Very disorganized, chaotic and a waste of time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved most of the people I worked with

Cons

Low pay for job duties and they sugar coat job expectations until you actually take the job then you find out what is expected of you. They expect you to always be available 24/7 and be married to your phone night and day including weekends. The scheduling system is the most disorganized system I have ever seen and the employees are working more in crisis mode most of the time. The caregivers are unhappy (wouldn't you be if your schedule changed all the time or were called to work last min because "it's an emergency") The system seriously needs to be fixed ASAP or this company is going to continue to lose money, clients and continue to have a bad caregiver morale. Run away from this company as fast as you can!! I was shocked at how badly the office was run for such a well known company.

Advice to Management

Hire some consultants who know what they're doing and before you work on building a system make sure you have the support needed to hold the extra business. Who cares about the company culture if you can't have an effective business plan integrated to match it.

Instead of taking water out of the sinking boat, fix the leak!!

The Wost place in the world to work!!!

I worked at Silverado

Pros

The Residents and their families!!

Cons

Everything!!! Salary, management, food, taking the passed residents out the Back door, like they are garbage!! All they care about is Money, Certainly not their employees, who are not management. It gave me an ulcer, but was not allowed to take a medical leave when doctor ordered it!! No breaks, bark=ely time for lunch!!

Advice to Management

They are rude, obnoxious, uncaring, mean!!! If you don't make silverado your whole life, they will make your life hell!!!

Former Manager - Silverado Lake Zurich

Former Employee - Former Manager in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Silverado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although my employment was very brief, I have to state that it was the most enjoyable working environment that I have encountered in 35 years of Healthcare Management, the last 20 in Senior and Long Term Care communities. The Regional V.P. of Operations is one of the best I have had the opportunity to work for and they have a great Leadership team of dept. heads. Without a doubt the front line staff is great....caregivers do a fantastic job and the R.N.s are superb! A very warm, inviting family feel and an open door to family, friends, children and pets! They offer far and away better care for their residents compared to Assisted Living communities which as a "side line" also offer Memory Care.

Cons

I had the opportunity to work for Loren Shook 25 years ago as Director of Finance for CPC Streamwood Hospital. At the time I felt the training was the best and the leadership team equally so. The same values guide him and the executive officers with the overseeing of Silverado. I would only offer one suggestion....as my Mother (who was inflicted with Alzheimer's for 9 years) use to tell me growing up...."there are 3 sides to every story...she said, he said and the truth!" Unfortunately, in my case (and maybe others) the "he said" story was never heard and "the truth" was not arrived at. The only place I have ever worked where a complete investigation of all parties was not done.

Advice to Management

Do not jump to quick decisions based upon one side of the story. A man's impeccable record for 35 years has been tarnished in his eyes by this action. I have been involved in many similar situations during my career. I always gave all sides the opportunity to have their say before making a decision....and in many cases (including zero tolerance) it did not lead to termination. Also, I would look closely at the policy of not discharging a resident if he/she engaged in some similar activity. Other major Senior Living corporations do not draw a distinction between occurrences whether an employee or a resident. You will be opening yourself up to wrongful termination and the possibility of media attention and the fact the associate can always file a police report as some have done in other A.L./M.C. communities.

Feb 12, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

We are so glad to hear that your tenure at Silverado was such a positive experience. Thank you for recognizing the Regional VP of Operations, along with the amazing team at our community in Lake ... More

Love is greater than fear only relates to the residents, not employees!

Former Employee - Admiistrator
    Former Employee - Admiistrator

I worked at Silverado

Pros

They really do care about the residents

Cons

Executive management totally out of touch with what is actually going on at the community level.
    No chain of command honored in the company.
    Corporate interference at all levels.
    Extreme turnover in all levels of the company.
    Very poor communication company-wide
    No work-life balance for anyone in the company. It is expected that Silverado is your life.
    They force you to donate money to their PAC.

Advice to Management

Improve communication.
    Make sure you have all the tools ready before you try to implement a program. You set people up for failure when you launch a program without having the tools and information to successfully implement it.

The reason you have so much turnover is because the Executive Management team does not look at how it communications down the chain. Also, no chain of command is honored which creates Administrators who have no power or authority.

I learned a lot. However, I was highly underpaid and overworked

Current Employee - CNA in Encinitas, CA
    Current Employee - CNA in Encinitas, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is overall a fun place to work. I strongly bonded with my coworkers and residents. Most family members are appreciative of your work and most nurses are just dolls. Overall everyone that work directly with residents are very dedicated to their job and try their best. Working with Alzheimer's is a huge experience. You can bring your kids or pets to work.

Cons

Management is the biggest problem with the place. They were very closed to suggestion and approach about problems. The pay is the lowest in the market and the job is the hardest. You will not get paid enough to do your job. Period. The ratio resident per caregiver is not very realistic compared to the difficulty of the job due to the nature of the disease they are "specialized" in and what they expect from the caregiver. You do not have room to grow in the company at all

Advice to Management

Management seriously need to get evaluated. The amount of people coming and going is absurd. They do not listen to our suggestion and dismiss everything as "bad attitude" or "not made for the job". They have been losing great caregiver because they simply can't relate and appreciate their employees

9. They were Wonderful

I worked at Silverado

Pros

Great training, fun, friendly, nice people

Cons

It was Pretty far drive

Feb 12, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thanks for being a part of the Silverado family and helping to serve our residents, patients and clients. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time with us.

If you ever wish to rejoin the
    ... More

Corporate office employees are wonderful

I worked at Silverado

Pros

Corporate employees are the to help but they are located in California . They do not know what truly goes on in each office

Cons

VP is in California and he does not listen to the problems concerning bad management .

Advice to Management

Come to Houston more often and talk to employees and clients to hear what is really going on not just what the staffing coordinators & administrators report

Feb 12, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thanks for recognizing the Home Office associates! We all work hard to provide support to our associates in the field.

The Human Resources team would love the opportunity to learn more about
    ... More

FEAR IS GREATER THAN LOVE HERE

Former Employee - Administravie in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Administravie in Irvine, CA

I worked at Silverado

Pros

Many hard working people in this company. Most are experienced and skilled at what they do.

Cons

Do not trust any Upper Management

Advice to Management

Get a clue.