Silverado

Updated January 20, 2015
3.6

Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Pros
  • you get the opportunity to make a difference every time you go to work (in 6 reviews)

• The atmosphere with the kids and pets is incredible (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The only word that perfectly describes the Home Office atmosphere is (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management with no knowledge of marketing becomes involved in the sale process (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Caregiver in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Silverado

Pros

co-workers were friendly
    salary
    benefits
    nice management
    very helpful

Cons

some of the co-workers were unprofessional

Started off a great place but soon changed

I worked at Silverado

Pros

decent benefits and pay. lots of food and activiites

Cons

caters too much to demanding unreasonable family members. You never do good a job to them and when a small mistake is made its held against you to the point where you no longer enjoy working for them

Happy to be a Nurse at Silverado

Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at Silverado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the environment- very comfortable, personable, and you truly feel like a family.

The residents are what wake me up every morning and keep me coming back.

This company truly values their team members from laundry to activities to nursing staff. Everyone is important.

Non biased upper management--Which is huge. Favoritism is not played here.

Opinions and concerns voiced are respected and considered for future implementation.

Cons

Very high paced and heavy work load but definitely manageable.

Internal messages such as day residents, employee events, facility events, etc. not properly channneled in which all employees are informed.

Ensure all team members (regardless of rank or position) are informed and encouraged to attend events that pertain to them

Jan 13, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

We are happy that you are a nurse at Silverado. We are proud to be the first assisted living to provide 24-hour licensed nursing care at all of our communities.

... More

Pay is low and work demanding

I have been working at Silverado

Pros

Animals and some good people

Cons

Demands exceed pay. No work/life balance.

Pay more and turnover wouldn't be so high

Jan 13, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Serving those with dementia and other memory-impairing conditions takes a special person. We are constantly reviewing the pay for each of our markets and find that we are paying above the industry ... More

No Love, all fear

I worked at Silverado

Pros

Residents and families are awesome!

Cons

Ceo all the way to community administrators are not trust worthy. They say it is about world class care for 6 grand plus a month for residents to stay there, but it is far from world class. Leadership sets free in staff to not talk to family members or else your job is on the line. They tell everyone to not talk at all to the families with out a leadership team member present.

Ceo and corporate needs to make lots of surprise visits into the communities without telling anyone especially regional vp!

Jan 13, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

As a former associate, we would like the opportunity to learn more about your experience and the region in which you worked. The Home Office teams often visit our communities and locations and find ... More

Does anyone ever ask why the turn over rate at Silverado is over 50%?

Former Employee - Director Level in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director Level in Irvine, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management training is really good. The training team is wonderful. However, the entire HR team below the CAO level is weak and, unfortunately, impotent to curtail the behavior at the top.

Cons

70% of the executive staff are mean spirited women that terminate people on the spot for nothing more than a personality conflict, or worse, "just because". The CEO does not mentor these women, instead, he simply lets them run the organization in the manipulative and cruel way they have for several years. The recruiting team submits falsified reviews in an attempt to offset or improve the rating of the company. The OC Register should do a little in-depth investigation in order to uncover the truth about this pathetic management team and stop selecting them as a Top 10 Employer. The contest is based on falsified information and erroneous data. Someday, I hope that the men on the executive staff will stand up to the women and put this organization back on track. Begin by terminating the 70% of the executive staff that deserve to be terminated...you know EXACTLY who they are...

Please, stop running the company through terroristic methods. Appreciate your staff; they are wonderful. It would be nice if the employees felt that they had a home in a safe environment instead of fearfully watching the revolving front door toss incredible people to the curb while wondering when it will be their turn. A truly toxic environment.

Jan 13, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for your response. The question you pose has not been asked before because our turnover rate is well below the industry average of 50%.

Thank you for recognizing our management

Pretty Good Company...

Current Employee - Caregiver in Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Silverado part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's been six months working here, and I am pretty satisfied. I am a nursing student so I feel it's very important to get this type of experience out in the nursing field.

-My boss is great! I feel comfortable going to April for questions and concerns and she is always on top of it! I am very grateful to have a boss that's approachable and tries to help me out as best as she could!

-The atmosphere is pretty welcoming hence it's in a "house like" facility.

-I love my residents...ahh, my job...I am not going to lie, it's hard work, but it's a great feeling to help others.

-The Huntington sure loves to eat, and I do tooooo :) ..What can I say, food makes people happy = one big happy community.

-Staff is all very friendly, I am the youngest one so I believe I adjusted to everybody quiet well...

Cons

-I am a part timer, so ...I kinda don't have weekends to myself. (my life goes on though...)

-I have about 3-4 years of caregiving/CNA experience and I started off at the lowest/"starting" pay. It just makes me curious how much experience do you really need to have to start off a bit higher (I am at 10.50). . . (I am not complaining though, I am very grateful)

I've been told to by a resident's family that silverado "markets" out to resident's family that their loved one will always have a ratio of 7:1. False. it's either 4:1, 3:1, or 2:1. I work PMs, and I don't think we need that many caregivers on the floor, however, 1 or 2 floaters would be nice. I only say that because yes, we work as a team, however we each have our own groups of residents to take care of, so floaters standing by (it least for the last half of our shift) would be very helpful to keep the whole team on track of schedule.

-We need floaters on the floor to keep our schedules on track.
    -The pay could be slightly higher for people with a couple years experience. In general, we do get hit, slapped, come in contact with sicknesses, open wounds and bodily fluids putting ourselves at risk everyday...
    -I'd like to see some type of policy for us caregiver's protection against violent residents. I feel pressured when it comes to dealing with violent residents. I've been told before, "being afraid isn't an excuse, I don't wanna hear that..."

...that kind of offended me, what about my safety?

Jan 13, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your story. We are happy to hear that you have such a wonderful and supportive team at the Huntington. And thank you for recognizing our amazing staffing ratios. We do this ... More

This Company is BS STAY AWAY

I have been working at Silverado (more than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely none, can't think of one good thing about this company. Which is pretty sad

Cons

Corporate and upper mgmt are horrible it's like working for the mafia if your not "Up to their PAR" slaughtered and thrown to the wolves. Even if you are the best you can be doesn't matter if someone doesn't like you in this company they will sabotage you and make sure you never move up and that your life is a living hell. No one trains you the San Diego office is run by a witch and we voiced that opinion and nothing was done VP took her side and we lost good people. Hostile office and company may you realize your mistakes before it's too late.

Wouldn't even waste my time with advice because your response to this review is freaking joke. CLEAN HOUSE IN CORPORATE. UNTIL THEN GO APPLY SOMEWHERE YOU WILL BE APPRECIATED!

Jan 13, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for posting. I am sorry to hear that after three years of continued service, you feel this way.

As you know there have been some recent changes in your service line and office
    ... More

They don't practice what they preach.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at Silverado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The residents are amazing. Most of them are kind and appreciative. Families are in tough situations and as a Silverado associate we had the opportunity to make it better.

Cons

As a member of Leadership I was frustrated and fired after only three months. There is a lot of lip service to the 'Silverado Standards', 52 written guidelines to the culture that the founders want to maintain, but it is just that - lip service. Associates get upset with Leadership, but Leadership has their hands tied. They say you can be honest and genuine but honesty got me fired.

Support the Communities by hiring more competent Administrators. Don't retaliate when you hear something you need to, but don't want to, hear. Train the associates before expecting them to know the 'culture'.

Jan 13, 2015Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate that you recognize how truly amazing our residents and their families are.

While I cannot speak to your specific experience or
    ... More

Definitely one of the better companies

Current Employee - Caregiver
    Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Silverado full-time

Pros

-you get the opportunity to make a difference every time you go to work
    -if you're an animal lover it's great to have resident pets around
    -management seems to actually care about its employees
    -seems like they promote from within
    -can bring your pets or kids to work if they aren't a distraction
    -pay is slightly higher than other companies
    -if you're patient and kind this can be a very rewarding job
    -they often take steps to accommodate employees like adjusting schedules, shifts, etc
    -love the motto and how residents are expected to be treated with dignity and love
    -challenging

Cons

-hours can be inconsistent
    -the culture, at least the location I work at, can be very political and catty. There are many cliques and it's exhausting to have to try to navigate all of it and adjust to some coworker's attitudes.

This is a challenging job that requires team work and although work politics can not always be controlled, SEVERAL coworkers have said that the gossip and unpleasant personalities have made them consider leaving. If this continues unchecked, the people who only work at Silverado because it's the highest paying job they could find are going to pressure away many of the people who actually align with the company's values.

Oct 27, 2014Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for promoting and supporting Silverado. We are glad that you recognize that we make a difference every day and that as a company, we really do value our associates.

Our culture is what