Silverchair

Not yet rated.

Thane Kerner

Definitely getting better

UI Developer (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsStill a small company with room for motivated individuals who can make a difference, good/kind people, smart coworkers willing to help

Consshaky reputation, pay tends to be a little low

Good Intentions, Poor Execution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsPeople are fun and intelligent, corporate culture ambitions are noble, office location, generally treat employees well

ConsPoor leadership and executive decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize the decision making process. You did not need to launch headlong into SCM6 when you did. I suspect a better decision making process would have had you avoid or at least delay the project, and you would have avoided all the ensuing headaches. You might still even own SLS.

Software Developer

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsMismanaged and disorganized. They treat their software developers like assembly line employees. They recently had a large layoff. From what I understand, they are now hiring again (usually college kids at lower salaries). This should give you an idea regarding the kind of company this is.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees less like "bodies' and more like human beings. This includes improving your working conditions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Improved and poised for amazing things

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsSmart, fun, talented staff. Improved management engagement. Evolving product which is beginning to truly differentiate from competitors. Downtown Mall location.

ConsStill chaotic now and then (we build software), but much better than it had been

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done a better job of listening to staff and acting on their suggestions. Keep the dialog open and continue to make realistic decisions. The experience of working here has improved dramatically - keep up the good work!

I found Silverchair to be a chaotic, stressful and reactive place to work. Management is unsupportive.

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsSilverchair is located on the downtown pedestrian mall, which is a desirable location that offers lots of choices for lunch or shopping. Many of the employees in Silverchair are creative and motivated people.

ConsIn general Silverchair is a very immature organization for creating software. The company has two Directors of Software of Development. I found both to be inexperienced and unqualified to lead a software development group. Both seemed to be overwhelmed and reactive. Neither seemed able or willing to improve conditions. Developers were routinely asked to work long hours and weekends. However their was no discernible efforts by management to improve project management and prevent stressful conditions. Their hiring process was broken. They have no process to evaluate and promote their developers. They have no interest in improving their staff. The developers were placed in the most undesirable location within the building. Their benefits are parsimonious.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the business should be better integrated into the software development group. It should be a two way relationship. The development staff should be included in the development of a product from the beginning and allow to influence the product.

Incredibly talented staff, but poor management and organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn addition to being located in a great area of Charlottesville, one of the best things about working at Silverchair is definitely the people. So many of the employees are incredibly smart and dedicated individuals who will go above and beyond to try to get the job done. I have found lifetime friends and mentors through this company.

ConsSilverchair has expanded too quickly, without a clear understanding of what their eventual goal or vision really is (or if they have a clear goal, it hasn't been properly communicated to their staff). Senior management has committed to too much client work and set unrealistic deadlines without first consulting the staff on their ability to meet those deadlines. Unrealistic expectations have been set for middle management, and this has created a very stressful environment. There is definitely a sense of being out of control of your day to day life, and individuals have been asked to take on new roles and tasks without being asked or properly compensated. Workflow processes change frequently, so no one has a chance to get their footing before they are asked to rush off to solve the next big disaster. All this leads to long work weeks, poor communication and occasional hostility between the staff and senior management. Generally, not an ideal environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down. If you want to make a splash in the market, do it by releasing quality products at a moderate pace. Don't launch mediocre software just to meet a deadline. Cut back on the number of projects you commit to, and place the focus back on stimulating your staff, rather than alienating them.

sweatshop

Web Developer (Current Employee)

Prosopportunity for fresh out of school people to get experience

Consno planning or prioritizing of tasks, 60 hr work weeks, managers clueless and useless

Advice to Senior Managementget a clue

Worked for Silverchair? Contribute to the Community!