Silverchair Reviews

Thane Kerner

1. Featured Review

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Silverchair seems to maintain a balance between being a well organized structured workplace while having a casual atmosphere where people can feel comfortable. This is really the "sweet spot" because it is just casual enough that you can enjoy yourself and not be stressed out every day, while being confident that the company is keeping an eye on the bottom line and moving things forward efficiently. There is not an overtime culture, though some people will occasionally voluntarily work overtime. One of the things I like about Silverchair is that the leadership are all straight shooters. They are quick to recognize when something isn't working and address it. As a couple other reviewers have mentioned, the company went through a slightly rough patch followed by a transition period in which big changes were made. The effects of decisions, great leadership hires and processes put in place during that time are now being felt and the company is really feeling like a well oiled machine these days. It is clear that this company values its employees. They plan extracurricular activities, recognize people individually and do random things to show people they are appreciated. The people in management are sincere and approachable. Everyone seems to get along. Perhaps most importantly, the company seems to be on solid footing financially. Health of a company is an important factor in employee morale. Career-wise, it definitely feels like you get useful experience and develop important skills. You get a reasonable amount of PTO, perhaps even slightly above industry average. (They used to not give as much) Also, location on the downtown mall is nice.

Cons

Many (though not all) workspaces are in an open floorplan. This means you're not in an office or cubicle, but are instead in an open area with other people. It can sometimes be noisy and hard to concentrate. Some people like that atmosphere though. Health benefits seem expensive for what you get (though I believe the company does supplement a portion of that cost for you, so it could be worse).

Advice to Management

Be supportive of employees' career development, keep lines of communication open. Keep the company moving forward. Keep the "structured/casual" balance as-is. Re-evaluate the open floorplan and see if it is still the best approach.

Jun 26, 2015 – Chief People Officer

This is great feedback, thank you. We aim to have an open, honest, appreciate, and fun environment where our people can thrive. While we have made mistakes, and will continue to, we strive to fail ... More

2. Great experience at a growing company

Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, extremely intelligent people who are very solid in their roles and easy to work with, wonderful flexibility. Senior Leadership has grown in communication with rest of company on goals and status. Silverchair is a great place to work on the downtown mall and is carving out a significant niche in their industry (STM Publishing) and is sure to be an every growing/better place to work for years to come. I've enjoyed the clear communication of company identity words, such as "speak your mind" and see this operational.

Cons

Sometimes communication across teams can be a challenge in the fast-moving atmosphere but this is being helped by key processes that are currently being put into place

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership needs to continue to grow in being personal with employees and treating them like real human beings, and not just "resources". Verbal and written and even creative ways to recognize teammates (from Senior Leadership) would go a long way as annual "bonuses" are often too little, too late.

Jul 30, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback! We love hearing we are making progress. We really have a great organization thanks for being a part of it! The advice on recognition is helpful. We believe people are ... More

Business Analyst

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are some of the best I've ever worked with. They are engaged, dedicated, smart problem solvers. Coasters do not make it here.

Cons

Better project planning and scheduling to avoid too tight deadlines have been difficult in the past. It's improving.

May 1, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thank you. We do have awesome people! Thanks for all your help, you are part of what makes us great.

5. Dynamic company in an awesome location

Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, cool technology, still a relatively young company with an ability to influence future growth; Really cool office in a historic building right on the downtown mall. Recent senior/exec hires have been good, as they balance out a headstrong CEO.

Cons

had been some turnover as the company changed its strategy, but that largely seem to be over; sometimes the technology is too cool for the company's customers, who are a bit old-fashioned.

Advice to Management

change is inevitable, but sharing is caring; better to be forthright about what you are doing as employees are smarter than you give them credit for. CEO can be "cagey" at times, but he has gotten better.

Apr 10, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback! We do have some really cool technology and great folks like you. We are constantly learning and trying to be better so thanks for the feedback, it's how we grow and develop. ... More

6. Fast-paced and exciting work in an amazing space

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workspace is beautiful, people are friendly and talented/know how to work hard/have fun. Management is down-to-earth and friendly. Competitive pay and benefits Proactively shaping company for greater impact and growth

Cons

Challenging deadlines Sometimes frantic pushes to release software - but management is actively changing this process to minimize these

Advice to Management

Continue to seek ways to be involved and connected with employees - this helps reinforce company culture initiatives.

Jan 26, 2015 – Talent Management / HR

Thank you! Continuous learning is one of our operating principles and we are working hard at getting better at reducing the number of pushes. Thanks for helping us learn and get better.

7. Turning around after several difficult years

Current Employee - Senior Leader (Not Job Title) in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Leader (Not Job Title) in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, a senior leadership team that learns, competitive compensation and an interesting business. The business seems to be moving beyond the sins of the past. Senior leadership are becoming increasingly transparent and willing to change what does not work.

Cons

The technical leadership from 2010-2013 didn't understand that developing platform software is a different beast from custom development. As a result, those years were turbulent, with most activities being highly reactionary and a lot of technical debt amassed. There are lingering after effects of this time, although much of this is being systematically addressed.

Advice to Management

Focus on the fundamentals of maturing the company to the next level. Continue to focus leaders on accountability.

Jan 31, 2015 – Talent Management / HR

Thank you for the feedback. We do have a great team who is constantly learning, growing, and getting better. The future looks very bright for us and we are excited.

8. Great Co-Workers building a product that makes a difference in the world.

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with smart people Creating innovative products Making a difference in the Scientific and Medical Scholarly Publishing industry

Cons

Benefits were good but a little expensive. Challenging deadlines sometimes Typical Growing Pains for a maturing technology company

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Silverchair and it's vision is making a difference and I will miss the opportunity to continue on the journey with you.

Jan 31, 2015 – Talent Management / HR

Thank you for sharing. We are working hard and continuing to learn along the way. Thanks for your contribution.

Executive leadership are disconnected from reality, and only care about themselves

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location on the best bit of property in a pretty cool place to live.

Cons

Structure generates emergencies without cause, and overreacts to them, creating an environment of fear and panic. Executives care only about their own image and finances, and will do anything they think it takes to their customers or employees if they think it helps them.

Advice to Management

Hire professional management and go find something you are good at to do instead.

Jan 31, 2015 – Talent Management / HR

Thanks for taking time to share your experience. Silverchair delivers a complex, high-scale, technically challenging platform to a dynamic market with continually shifting requirements and ... More

Good Intentions, Poor Execution

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are fun and intelligent, corporate culture ambitions are noble, office location, generally treat employees well

Cons

Poor leadership and executive decision making

Advice to Management

Formalize the decision making process. You did not need to launch headlong into SCM6 when you did. I suspect a better decision making process would have had you avoid or at least delay the project, and you would have avoided all the ensuing headaches. You might still even own SLS.

Software Developer

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Mismanaged and disorganized. They treat their software developers like assembly line employees. They recently had a large layoff. From what I understand, they are now hiring again (usually college kids at lower salaries). This should give you an idea regarding the kind of company this is.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees less like "bodies' and more like human beings. This includes improving your working conditions.

RSS Feed </> Embed