Silverpop Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Bill Nussey

Pros
  • work-life balance -- that's about it really, this is a 9-5 job that discourages employees from trying to work outside of the box (in 6 reviews)

• Robust product, always evolving and therefore keeping your interest high at all times (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management is wishy-washy, you never know what you're going to be working on next, or what the direction is (in 2 reviews)

• The company seems very US focussed in meetings and in the way it conducts its business (in 2 reviews)

Was Very Good Experience

Former Employee - IT Administrative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Administrative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to being bought by IBM the company was a very positive place to work. Startup, casual, friendly, free snacks and .25 sodas, every cube area seemingly had a beer fridge, very family-friendly and latitude given for work life-balance. CEO took many ethical stands that were both surprising and very cool. Except for a few outliers (Finance), most middle management was very good, friendly and promoted a great environment for employees.

Cons

There wasn't much thought given to career development. Now that they've been bought by IBM, I'm afraid the culture will completely die, as they are absorbed into a very bloated and bureaucratic dinosaur of a company.

Advice to Management

It's a shame the board forced Silverpop leadership into the IBM deal. Wherever you go next, I hope you'll recreate the good you did at the 'Pop. It bought/earned a lot of loyalty, imo.

2. There are better options

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The engineers are generally really good people. The pay is competitive. There are people there fighting to maintain a healthy culture. My boss was awesome. He took special interest in his employees. He started book clubs, and takes an active role in the growth of the developers he oversees. He is very patient and understanding as long as you are open with him, he is candid, and I can't speak highly enough about him.

Cons

I'm genuinely very grateful for my time at Silverpop, but I will not be holding back on listing the cons. Much of this I wish I had said during my exit interview but at the time I was too close to the situation, and this was my first real Software Engineering job. The time away and the job I currently have has helped me gain some perspective. You can tell there used to be a really great culture with Silverpop. There are people working there that that have been around since the start, and they are some of the nicest people you will work with. You could blame IBM's "blue washing" process for crushing the culture, but I think it was dying off well before that. Silverpop just grew very quickly, and it seems like they made some big mistakes along the way. The teams are also very diverse, and you have no control over where you land. Some teams are abrasive and dogmatic to the point of being unreasonable, leaving you to feel like there's not much room for individuality. There isn't any valuable cross-team communication, and it is often impossible to track down who made a decision and why it was made. Their UX team is a joke. The decisions they make break conventions. There was a point where their design was adamantly rejected by the majority of engineers, yet they were unyielding and we were forced to comply. They wield too much power with too little supervision. Now for IBM: The Lenovo laptops they provide are garbage. They are huge and generally terrible to use. IBM's internal tech support and HR is utter garbage. Their intranet is huge, buggy, and impossible to navigate. You are forced to use IBM Notes (a.k.a. Lotus Notes, and no it's not dead). Normally you would think "it's just email" but IBM owns Notes, and the software is so terrible that it genuinely makes you lose faith in the company. Aside from that, their policies are global and since IBM is HUGE and international, you often find your self meeting requirements and doing training that is not even remotely relevant to your job. IBM's career paths are outdated. They lump their employees into grades, and the documentation on your grade and career path is complex and confusing. It definitely felt like the only way to move up was to brown nose and play politics. They make you waste a lot of time with seemingly useless paperwork and training that is supposed to help you grow in your career. To be clear, I am a huge supporter of employees that encourage learning, but the mandatory learning that IBM pushes makes very little sense as a Software Engineer. The biggest thing is the stress. Aside from all of the stressors already mentioned, during the acquisition it seems like Silverpop promised IBM some very unrealistic dates for delivering certain features. It definitely felt like the engineers were never consulted. There was a TON of pressure to deliver features and it seemed like every team felt like they were drowning. On top of that there were a ridiculous amount of meetings that were rarely relevant, focused, or productive.

Advice to Management

I would tell my former boss to keep doing what he was doing. The real problems seem to start further up, although the company is so big that I'm honestly not sure who might be considered responsible.

3. MOST TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK FOR ANYONE IN IT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great office. Great co-workers and colleagues. Pay was decent.

Cons

Micromanagers everywhere. Extremely thankless place to work at Bootlickers and drop-outs who know how to lick get promoted. You must be ready for work at any hour 24/7 Very heavy work-load. No sign of any work-life balance.

Advice to Management

STOP hiring criminals in QA and Development

5. Great place for a work-life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Transparency from the top down: The organization goes through great pains to be sure that they strategy and vision for the company are clearly communicated to the staff. Mature agile practitioners. Understanding of family and work-life balance. Host an annual event for the whole family as well as smaller social events.

Cons

Growing pains that most companies experience when moving beyond a couple hundred employees. Silos have been building up that are well defended and produce a detrimental impact on the overall user experience. An engineering organization that is becoming calcified around aging technology.

Just say NO to the finance/acct team

Pros

There are no pros in the finance division of the company except for great coworkers.

Cons

The rest of the company seems great if you're trying for other positions. As far as the finance and accounting team is concerned, just stay away!!! The interview was amazing, I loved it, I thought this was going to be it for me and it was. I got a great offer. Once I came on board, I saw how unhappy the people were on this floor. Micromanagement is to the max. Vulgarity and obscenity is across the floor like it's no ones business. It is the most unprofessional environment I have ever worked in. You are treated like a child, constantly being watched and scolded. You know that WFH you hear about? Sure, the rest of the company definitely has that and encourages it. The finance team - it comes with consequences to WFH. Just stay away from the finance team. That is all I can tell you, you will thank me for it. Go ahead and ask the employees who work there.. they'll tell you.

Advice to Management

Please look into your finance team and make some changes to management. The management on that floor is ruining the image of your company. Proof is in the pudding - just look at the turn over rate in the last year on that team. People are not leaving for any other reason but management. I would have loved to stay in this company and work here if management was different.

Very High Turnover. Let me Repeat Very High Turnover

Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks and travel Great training A lot of good people Nice offices Management stability Avg Product, no real niche'

Cons

Inept Sales Management across the board. Either comprised of lifers that are just collecting a paycheck or failed sales reps or both. It starts right at the top, as SVP is way out of his league. He replaced the former SVP that had a marketing background and no sales. Micromanaged from incompetent management, silly processes just to fill check boxes Management very stabile, never leaves or gets let go. Sales constant churn rate, go figure. Count on one hand people making unrealistic quota numbers Constantly looking for sales reps weekly Culture is great as Lipstick to Pig Nobody is happy There are other bogus reviews on here that are obviously written by sales management or executive team.

Advice to Management

Management arrogance on display 24x7. Won't waste my breath giving them any advice. Advice to any sales applicant, dont waste your time.

Poor Sales Leadership

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first you will experience a family type of atmosphere that is comforting. CEO is forward thinking in software development.

Cons

There are to many to name unfortunately. Worst sales leadership I've experienced in 18 years of sales. If you are a sales person and thinking about working at Silverpop, first ask them what percentage of the sales people made their number, then ask them what percentage of their sales people were below 50% of their number, then ask them why their top sales people and sales leaders continue to leave every year for the last four years.

Advice to Management

Change compensation plan where your sales people can make money. Don't change sales and marketing leaders again. Wait till someone acquires your company and then look for an established sales leader to take over.

Mediocre across the board

I have been working at Silverpop full-time

Pros

work-life balance -- that's about it really, this is a 9-5 job that discourages employees from trying to work outside of the box.

Cons

Co-workers disinterested in innovating or improving performance since no raises are ever in sight Product management doesn't do due diligence to understand user requirements and expects engineers to design the product for them.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at companies like IBM to acquire you and focus on improving your business strategy. This company constantly adds more bureaucracy to an underfunded engineering staff instead of improving engineering.

Overall, Great place to work

Former Employee - Client Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great and seem content with day-to-day activities. The pay is very fair.

Cons

No opportunity to grow across departments even if "over" qualified

Advice to Management

Do not force good people out by not promoting them based on thier skill set.

Great place to work, better place to build a career

Current Employee - Partner/Channel Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Partner/Channel Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Silverpop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product with a visionary road map, outstanding industry position and reputation, solid leadership team with long term continuity, wonderful people and a family feel still exists in a company with close to 600 employees.

Cons

The winds of change are forcing Silverpop to "grow up" in some regards. Some new added processes and bureaucratic elements have been added to almost every job in the organization, the results of which remain to be seen. This is a highly competitive space with a number of players, all of whom seem hellbent on driving the same story. Makes it difficult to differentiate at times.

Advice to Management

They have done a good job all things considered...I wish we would be more aggressive in our efforts to drive top line growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed