Simon Property Group

Updated September 23, 2014
2.7

Simon Property Group Chairman and CEO David Simon
David Simon

Pros
  • Competitive salary and benefits, with an opportunity for bonuses with hard work (and a little luck) (in 3 reviews)

• They do offer great benefits for full time employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in (in 7 reviews)

• Your experience at Simon seems to depend on the support of upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good healthy company to work for.

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent policies, job security

Cons

Every company has its pros and cons.

I worked for Simon Property Group at Ontario Mills as a Guest Service Representative.

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative  in  Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Ontario, CA

I worked at Simon Property Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As a Guest Service Representative, I learned a whole lot about how malls function and how retail stores market themselves to customers. Its a great way to get your feet wet in the fashion industry too.

Cons

Some challenges were putting up with rude customers. But that's what customer service is all about.

Smh: what was I thinking when I took this job?

Former Employee - Leasing
    Former Employee - Leasing

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Considered an Industry Leader but time will tell if dumping the work-horse malls into Washington Prime and focusing on the top 50 high-end malls will be enough to keep stock prices so high.

Cons

ageism and sexism: if you are female and over 40, watch out!

The company culture prefers and seeks young white males as GM's and pays very little to onsite staff. Field workers give all for very little and are constantly robbed of deals by home office leasing personnel who are spread too thin and focus on top Luxury malls. The Specialty Leasing Division was gutted after SVPof division died of cancer. Being publicly-traded, mgmt cut expenses of "net programs' by handing leasing to GM's = some who can't lease their way out of a paper bag.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conservative company that does not like input for change

Former Employee - Accounting Analyst  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Accounting Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office Culture, Employees that have been with the company for a long time

Cons

Conservative Company that does not like input for change

Leadership needs to be more available to lower level employees input for change

While the company is an industry leader, management cares only about the bottom line and not the people that make it all

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SPG owns and operates many of the nations top retail destinations. They are truly an innovative industry leader. David Simon has an excellent understanding of Wall Street. The company is financially solid.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours and put the job ahead of family or personal pursuits. There is no work life balance. Upper management leads by intimidation tactics. Your job is always in jeopardy.

Take a moment to thank the people that make it all possible. They are all on your team, but you have lost immeasurable talent because people will only put up with it for so long before they leave.

I felt like this was a job, but not a career choice.

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative  in  Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Simon Property Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Customer Interaction and marketing experience were very necessary, and being able to advertise and up-sell was very important.

Cons

there was little to no room for advancement, and when the opportunity arose, they went outside the company without evening interviewing current people from within the company.

I worked at Simon Property Group

Pros

Good company to put on resume.

Cons

Little room for any sort of change.

Guest Service Rep

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Simon Property Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

I like being alone sometimes

Cons

Where do I begin?
    There are no benefits. None at all. they consider 30 hours a week full time. I used to work at least that much and I did not receive any full time benefits. I come in on my days off to work because my manager harasses me and calls multiple times until I am forced to answer. I never get to enjoy my days off. I always come in when they need me to but when my car broke down and I was unable to make my shift, I still got in trouble for not coming in to work. I informed her the night that it happened. So, on top of my only mode of transportation breaking down, I had my boss calling me four different times making the situation more stressful. They harass all of us. I do not like the management at all. There is a tremendous lack of communication and only the reps take the fall for it because we deal with customers first hand. We are never informed of any changes that go on until we are being reprimanded for doing what we thought was going on. There is hardly ever a manager there, they are off every weekend. This is completely ridiculous because we are a brand new shopping center and we have new people that did not get proper training. I did not have a proper training and I have been here for three months now. They expect us to know information that they do not tell us until it is too late. My manager messed up in a big way because she didn't provide us with paperwork we needed which can lead to the termination of my coworker. I had him there as a witness to show that the paperwork was not there, she came in before him the next morning, printed out the paperwork, put it in the binder and told him it was there the whole time and that I just didn't see it, which was not true. We cannot trust the management. My manager does not even know the terms of out mall gift cards. She doesn't really talk to us, she leaves sticky notes everywhere and expects her job to be done that way. There is no face-to-face communication. I feel that leaving notes everywhere insults our intelligence, if you are a manager, you need to communicate information to your staff professionally, not like children.

There is even a lack of communication between management. Our general manager doesn't ever know what is happening with the booth. I think that they have given the guest service manager too much power.

Work on your communication. Having every weekend off is a bad idea. Those are the busiest times. And you all should close more.

Poor upper management and employee development.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company did pay for medical insurance at that time, I do not know if they still do. The u8niform choices were not as bad as some companies that I've worked for.

Cons

The mall was so poorly managed and physically upkept that tenants were pulling out of their leases left and right. It was impossible to make corporate set goals to sell mall gift certificates in a dying mall! Upper management worked banker's hours and had no idea what really went on nights and weekends at the mall.

Most long-term employees are cutthroat and not team players although they preach teamwork

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time

Pros

Great relationships with tenants, work life balance is good depending on the mgmt team, opportunity to learn a lot more than just your job, and there is generally flexibility with scheduling.

Cons

The lack of a proper training program with the amount of informational knowledge required to conform to the "Simon" way. Actual company values are not the greatest.

Put together a better (formal) training program for new hires.

Worked for Simon Property Group? Contribute to the Community!