Simon Property Group

Updated September 3, 2014
2.7

Simon Property Group Chairman and CEO David Simon
David Simon

Pros
  • Competitive salary and benefits, with an opportunity for bonuses with hard work (and a little luck) (in 3 reviews)

• They do offer great benefits for full time employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in (in 7 reviews)

• Your experience at Simon seems to depend on the support of upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible employer

Former Employee - Guest Services Lead  in  Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Lead in Torrance, CA

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling because of mall hours

Cons

Ever-changing practices/rules, extreme expectations for minimum compensation, no benefits, no promotion from within, distrustful management, unfair termination of employees (not me, but others), management plays favorites, racist management

Promote from within, get organized, stop changing programs in small ways and look at them in a bigger sense to see how to effectively implement changes that will make an impact on a larger scale, value all of your employees (even the "little" guys), compensate appropriately for the amount of work you are requiring.

Big company, big responsibilities, but little control over destiny

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid and secure company, benefits are great, annual bonuses fair, top brands

Cons

Micromanagement of properties, inability to affect change, limited and shrinking operational budgets, low base pay in comparison for similar responsibilities, top down management, layers of reporting - often overlapping

Listen to the field teams, open lines of communication, streamline processes, work on the company culture in the field

If you don't like how things are run, find another job.

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On a local level, the management teams tend to be great. They work with you. They are friendly. They become almost like family. They do offer great benefits for full time employees. Health insurance, vacation, sick, and personal leave. Flexable schedule.

Cons

On a corporate level, you are constanly reminded that you are replacable. If you do not like how things are run, you are told to go some place else. Now, if you work for the company for a long time, that kind of mentality is disheartening. And if you are guest service rep, you might as well quit. They do not care about you. the benefits are only offered to full time staff. But they no longer hire full time GSRs. They don't want to waste money on employee satisfaction, especially at such a low level. And it's basically impossible to move up. They will hire someone outside of the company rather than promote from within. And, if you are promoted (by sheer luck), you will have to travel to a different location. The position themselves can be difficult because they expect them to work a position that should be done by two or three people. That's why they make financial records every year.

Money wise, the company loves to waste it. They are always coming up with new and exciting ways to brand themselves that never bring in new revenue. You will see multiple new projects being launched in a few years. They do not put any money toward people and positions that actually bring in revenue. My philosphy has always been, if you empower the people that act as the face and voice of the company, you will see increase and repeated business. They do not give employees incentives unless it's holiday. They do not pay employees a decent livable wage. And their budgetting is a joke.

It's also impossible to tell what their goals are. For the five years I have worked at this company, the focus at my level was selling giftcards. Now, they have turned it into almost conceirge like. They are also branching into tourism. Trying their hardest to reach out to international travelers. Well, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. They own malls. Not resorts. They call it their new "rebranding." New uniforms, new responsibilities, new everything. More work, but still only barely making enough money to live off of.

On a local level, just remember that you work as a team. The office environment can be really competetive, untrusting, and toxic at times. But if you focus on a common goal and work together, there can be a lot done.

Coporate level, they need remember that they don't work in the real force of the company. They sit in their offices and come up with goals, new ideas, and impossible reaches without actually thinking of the reality of implementing them in a realistic situation. To them I suggest they pull from actual employees. Have a poll, see what has worked, what hasn't work. Get the employees involved. Make them a part of the company and stop telling them to just deal or move someplace else. That is not how you should treat your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been working for Simon Property Group for 2 years now as a Guest Service Rep.

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Simon Property Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Guest Service Representative boss is very nice, and will work around your schedule the best he can. They also work with college student very well. The coworkers are very nice, as well as the upper managers. You will meet a lot of nice and interesting people.

Cons

They don't give you many hours, the most you can get is 24hrs and that's if you have been there longer than the other employees. The pay is minimum wage, even though you have a lot of responsibility and if you mess up you get written up right away.

When bringing in new managers, try leaving things the way they were before.

Horrible company! No one ever stays. That should show you something.

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Simon Property Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Only perk would be seeing smiling customers.

Cons

Horrible communication with management including HR, low pay, no advancement, bullying done by management, unable to contact managers after hours in emergency, safety and basic policies not followed, forgery, no security with money, low organization, no professionalism.

You all should be more in tune with the employees needs instead of thinking only of the company. This company is not morally or financially correct. If you would like this company to get back on its feet, get a new management crew at the Wolfchase Galleria location in Memphis, Tennessee. The employees as well as the tenants are unhappy with this new management that's why your turn over and move out rates are so high. No one ever works here long. This company has rotated about 6 mall managers in the last 4 years. I worked under 2 supervisors and 3 mall managers all under a year! Get this mall under control before it self destructs! Also the HR department should be more professional and in depth with dealing with employee issues. That's probably why this mall isn't prospering. The numbers here have been down for the past four years!

Growth and opportunity

I have been working at Simon Property Group

Pros

Growth with the right people

Cons

no support from Home Office

Great Job into the commercial real estate market

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyuone is extremely productive and goal oriented

Cons

I am the yongest one in the company.

It's the best of both auditing worlds, internal with Simon's Audit Services and external with E&Y (Simon's external aud)

Former Employee - Audit Services Intern  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Audit Services Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The corporate culture is very welcoming.

Cons

Interns pay for their own parking; and, it can be pricey depending on the location.

An exit interview could help improve the internship program.

Good job for part time

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Simon Property Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay
    Management tries hard to create flexible schedules

Cons

No upward mobility
    Customers are terrible to everyone

Hire from within more

The Most Cut-Throat Environment Ever

Former Employee - Guest Services Manager
    Former Employee - Guest Services Manager

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Insurance Benefits, Bonus, nothing else

Cons

Cut-Throat Environment, Bad-Management, Poor Work-Life Balance, Must work on Holidays and Weekends, Low Pay, No Room for Growth, Management only cares about their bonuses. My Manager had no regard for my personal life as she would call me on my days off and expect me to be readily available at all times. Even on days when I would call out sick, she would text and call. I would have to work up to 60 hours per week and only get paid for 40 hours. The company expects you to work a minimum of 50+ hours and only pay you for 40 hours. The majority of Managers micro-manage as this is part of the company culture. The company "Simonizes" its staff into robots who are constantly available who must show up to work even during inclement weather, like blizzards and hurricanes. They expect you to multi-task at the speed of light or you are not efficient enough. Must work long, hard hours on weekends and especially Holidays. I became physically and mentally burned out along with some of my colleagues. There were times when I had no coverage to even use the restroom. I observed racist and elitist comments and attitudes toward minorities and disabled employees. Corporate Office would send email updates and implement new programs every day and require you to get accustomed to the ever-changing environment. Employees walk around the office looking like slobs with no makeup on or business attire due to the high stress the company puts them through. Most employees who remain become brainwashed into company culture and like vultures wait for their turn to move to the next position. One cannot even eat lunch in peace because there was always something that needed to be done at that precise moment. Most Guest Services Mangers do not last a year and when they do, it is because these people have families and must keep their jobs and cannot afford to lose their benefits. This position is not highly respected. If you are a GSM you are basically everyone's doormat and they expect you to accept this as normal. The Corporate Office is also very disorganized in terms of program implementation and realistic expectations. Minimal resources are allocated and yet one must make miracles. Simon Property Group is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for and would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Upper Management is extremely disconnected with the majority of the employees.

Simon Property Group Photos

Southern View of Indianapolis (Lucas Oil) from the Terrace

+ Add Photo

Worked for Simon Property Group? Contribute to the Community!