Simon Property Group

www.simon.com

Simon Property Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Simon Property Group – US – “Southern View of Indianapolis (Lucas Oil) from…”

Simon Property Group – US – “Southern View of Indianapolis (Lucas Oil) from…”

Simon Property Group Chairman and CEO David Simon

David Simon

Pros
  • Competitive salary and benefits, with an opportunity for bonuses with hard work (and a little luck) (in 3 reviews)

• They do offer great benefits for full time employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in (in 7 reviews)

• Your experience at Simon seems to depend on the support of upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad management, good experience

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Braintree, MA

ProsWorking in social media and planning events as a marketing intern was really cool.

ConsSeeing the was upper management treated employees was a little disheartening and did not make me want to apply there after graduation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not threaten employees with termination if they do not perform.

Not worth it!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsI couldn't find one the 3 months I worked there, I'm surprised I lasted that long.

ConsWork-life Balance, like NONE. Working 6 days a week because they're short staffed as if that's my problem.
    No communication through management.
    LAZY management.
    Completely unsupervised work.
    No benefits, they make sure to work you just under the benefits limit.
    My list could continue.

Unfriendly, unappreciative supervisors that do not care what you think

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are nice as are the building and gym. There are a lot of good people that work for the company that show genuine appreciation when you do a good job.

ConsA female supervisor that preferred female employees. As a male, I was at a disadvantage through no fault of my own. No matter how hard I worked, she never gave me positive encouragement unless I pried it out of her. When I put in my notice and complained, I was shown the door the next day- no exit interview, no chance to say goodbye to coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff- don't protect managers and VPs just because they've been there awhile. Turnover only hurts the company. I didn't want to leave but felt I had to.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, but have to watch out for certain higher ups

Full Time Intern (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGained so much experience and was involved in many aspects of the company! Got to interact with many senior employees. Given lots of autonomy to handle big projects on my own. Big company but feels small once you get to know everyone.

ConsLack of communication from management (based on my specific department). Assigned certain tasks that would get thrown out after I'd already spent significant time working on them. Priorities were not well defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed training for employees who have others reporting to them- some need to learn much better communication.

anonymous

Operations Director (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosthere is nothing positive about this company

Conspoor middle and upper management. More concerned about keeping their jobs and looking good than anything else

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to manage

Torture

ProsNice to have access to downtown in the summer months

ConsThe level of abuse from the EVP level is absolutely horrific. Childish, mean, bullying egotistical sorts are the only ones that can make it. The culture revolves around of cycles of verbal abuse. Intense attacks followed by a sort of honeymoon period are the only treatment you will experience. Also, if you are a woman or minority, don't waste your time. This is an old boys club of rich, white entitled men with a few token examples of women and minorities they keep around. If you get a chance to interview here, DON'T. DO. IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with Wallstreet in a dying industry!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A good company for people with creative minds, and a lot of time on their hands.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGives you the opportunity to explore your creativity with mall events

ConsPromoting within is a joke

Underpaid, under appreciated, over worked.

ProsThough simon property group operates In a dying category with no innovation on the horizon, they seem quite able to create stability for at least the next five years until the internet completely devours their business model.

ConsThis company manages to the lowest common denominator. If you want to think outside a box, have any latitude to affect change or even simply think for yourself- go elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not entitlements.

Awful Experience

ProsWell known company
    Respected in the industry
    Nice corporate office
    Okay location
    Secure industry
    Fitness facility for full-time employees

ConsTerrible interviewing and onboarding experience. Accepted the job because the company is so well respected in the industry, but I should not have. Benefits are terrible, comp is terrible, IT systems belong in the 1980's, management from middle to top is terrible, you'll get 10 days of vacation for 5 years unless you flirt with a recruiter. They don't care about their employees and do not hesitate to let their employees know they are easily replaceable.

I worked at Simon for five years.

Paralegal (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsSimon is an international genius in the real estate world but not in its home-grown back yard. Nice building, altho shoddily constructed; one might expect more of this giant. Charitable contributions (if that they are) are amazing.

ConsWay too little (i.e., none) training, support and mentoring; ugly management, always changing; pitiful IT systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your most profitable resource, your employees.

Worked for Simon Property Group? Contribute to the Community!