Simon Property Group

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Simon Property Group Chairman and CEO David Simon
David Simon

Pros
  • Great benefits some of the lower level managers understand the importance of family (in 5 reviews)

• They treat their full-time employees well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in (in 9 reviews)

• At that point, upper management can then get their jollies kicking you around (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Guest Service Rep

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Simon Property Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like being alone sometimes

Cons

Where do I begin?
    There are no benefits. None at all. they consider 30 hours a week full time. I used to work at least that much and I did not receive any full time benefits. I come in on my days off to work because my manager harasses me and calls multiple times until I am forced to answer. I never get to enjoy my days off. I always come in when they need me to but when my car broke down and I was unable to make my shift, I still got in trouble for not coming in to work. I informed her the night that it happened. So, on top of my only mode of transportation breaking down, I had my boss calling me four different times making the situation more stressful. They harass all of us. I do not like the management at all. There is a tremendous lack of communication and only the reps take the fall for it because we deal with customers first hand. We are never informed of any changes that go on until we are being reprimanded for doing what we thought was going on. There is hardly ever a manager there, they are off every weekend. This is completely ridiculous because we are a brand new shopping center and we have new people that did not get proper training. I did not have a proper training and I have been here for three months now. They expect us to know information that they do not tell us until it is too late. My manager messed up in a big way because she didn't provide us with paperwork we needed which can lead to the termination of my coworker. I had him there as a witness to show that the paperwork was not there, she came in before him the next morning, printed out the paperwork, put it in the binder and told him it was there the whole time and that I just didn't see it, which was not true. We cannot trust the management. My manager does not even know the terms of out mall gift cards. She doesn't really talk to us, she leaves sticky notes everywhere and expects her job to be done that way. There is no face-to-face communication. I feel that leaving notes everywhere insults our intelligence, if you are a manager, you need to communicate information to your staff professionally, not like children.

There is even a lack of communication between management. Our general manager doesn't ever know what is happening with the booth. I think that they have given the guest service manager too much power.

Work on your communication. Having every weekend off is a bad idea. Those are the busiest times. And you all should close more.

I worked at Simon Property Group

Pros

Good company to put on resume.

Cons

Little room for any sort of change.

While the company is an industry leader, management cares only about the bottom line and not the people that make it all

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SPG owns and operates many of the nations top retail destinations. They are truly an innovative industry leader. David Simon has an excellent understanding of Wall Street. The company is financially solid.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours and put the job ahead of family or personal pursuits. There is no work life balance. Upper management leads by intimidation tactics. Your job is always in jeopardy.

Take a moment to thank the people that make it all possible. They are all on your team, but you have lost immeasurable talent because people will only put up with it for so long before they leave.

Poor upper management and employee development.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company did pay for medical insurance at that time, I do not know if they still do. The u8niform choices were not as bad as some companies that I've worked for.

Cons

The mall was so poorly managed and physically upkept that tenants were pulling out of their leases left and right. It was impossible to make corporate set goals to sell mall gift certificates in a dying mall! Upper management worked banker's hours and had no idea what really went on nights and weekends at the mall.

Most long-term employees are cutthroat and not team players although they preach teamwork

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time

Pros

Great relationships with tenants, work life balance is good depending on the mgmt team, opportunity to learn a lot more than just your job, and there is generally flexibility with scheduling.

Cons

The lack of a proper training program with the amount of informational knowledge required to conform to the "Simon" way. Actual company values are not the greatest.

Put together a better (formal) training program for new hires.

Great place with a lot of great people but no balance.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people form a community and a lot of long-term employees with 20+ years experience are within the ranks. Can be a lifetime career depending upon your career goals.

Cons

Very little upward mobility due to the stable (read sedentary) nature of the middle management staff. No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in.

Growth at Simon

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time

Pros

field level management cares about employees

Cons

coporate management not in the field enough

Horrible employer

Former Employee - Guest Services Lead in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Lead in Torrance, CA

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling because of mall hours

Cons

Ever-changing practices/rules, extreme expectations for minimum compensation, no benefits, no promotion from within, distrustful management, unfair termination of employees (not me, but others), management plays favorites, racist management

Promote from within, get organized, stop changing programs in small ways and look at them in a bigger sense to see how to effectively implement changes that will make an impact on a larger scale, value all of your employees (even the "little" guys), compensate appropriately for the amount of work you are requiring.

Overall good experience.

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time

Pros

If you are willing to relocate you can move up quickly in the company. Compensation is ok.

Cons

The holiday season can really wear on you. Direction from corporate departments can be conflicting.

Listen to the field.

Big company, big responsibilities, but little control over destiny

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid and secure company, benefits are great, annual bonuses fair, top brands

Cons

Micromanagement of properties, inability to affect change, limited and shrinking operational budgets, low base pay in comparison for similar responsibilities, top down management, layers of reporting - often overlapping

Listen to the field teams, open lines of communication, streamline processes, work on the company culture in the field

Simon Property Group Photos