Simon Property Group

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015

Simon Property Group Chairman and CEO David Simon
David Simon

Pros
  • Great benefits some of the lower level managers understand the importance of family (in 5 reviews)

• They treat their full-time employees well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in (in 9 reviews)

• At that point, upper management can then get their jollies kicking you around (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible company! No one ever stays. That should show you something.

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Simon Property Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Only perk would be seeing smiling customers.

Cons

Horrible communication with management including HR, low pay, no advancement, bullying done by management, unable to contact managers after hours in emergency, safety and basic policies not followed, forgery, no security with money, low organization, no professionalism.

You all should be more in tune with the employees needs instead of thinking only of the company. This company is not morally or financially correct. If you would like this company to get back on its feet, get a new management crew at the Wolfchase Galleria location in Memphis, Tennessee. The employees as well as the tenants are unhappy with this new management that's why your turn over and move out rates are so high. No one ever works here long. This company has rotated about 6 mall managers in the last 4 years. I worked under 2 supervisors and 3 mall managers all under a year! Get this mall under control before it self destructs! Also the HR department should be more professional and in depth with dealing with employee issues. That's probably why this mall isn't prospering. The numbers here have been down for the past four years!

Growth and opportunity

I have been working at Simon Property Group

Pros

Growth with the right people

Cons

no support from Home Office

Great Job into the commercial real estate market

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyuone is extremely productive and goal oriented

Cons

I am the yongest one in the company.

It's the best of both auditing worlds, internal with Simon's Audit Services and external with E&Y (Simon's external aud)

Former Employee - Audit Services Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Audit Services Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The corporate culture is very welcoming.

Cons

Interns pay for their own parking; and, it can be pricey depending on the location.

An exit interview could help improve the internship program.

Good job for part time

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Simon Property Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay
    Management tries hard to create flexible schedules

Cons

No upward mobility
    Customers are terrible to everyone

Hire from within more

The Most Cut-Throat Environment Ever

Former Employee - Guest Services Manager
    Former Employee - Guest Services Manager

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Insurance Benefits, Bonus, nothing else

Cons

Cut-Throat Environment, Bad-Management, Poor Work-Life Balance, Must work on Holidays and Weekends, Low Pay, No Room for Growth, Management only cares about their bonuses. My Manager had no regard for my personal life as she would call me on my days off and expect me to be readily available at all times. Even on days when I would call out sick, she would text and call. I would have to work up to 60 hours per week and only get paid for 40 hours. The company expects you to work a minimum of 50+ hours and only pay you for 40 hours. The majority of Managers micro-manage as this is part of the company culture. The company "Simonizes" its staff into robots who are constantly available who must show up to work even during inclement weather, like blizzards and hurricanes. They expect you to multi-task at the speed of light or you are not efficient enough. Must work long, hard hours on weekends and especially Holidays. I became physically and mentally burned out along with some of my colleagues. There were times when I had no coverage to even use the restroom. I observed racist and elitist comments and attitudes toward minorities and disabled employees. Corporate Office would send email updates and implement new programs every day and require you to get accustomed to the ever-changing environment. Employees walk around the office looking like slobs with no makeup on or business attire due to the high stress the company puts them through. Most employees who remain become brainwashed into company culture and like vultures wait for their turn to move to the next position. One cannot even eat lunch in peace because there was always something that needed to be done at that precise moment. Most Guest Services Mangers do not last a year and when they do, it is because these people have families and must keep their jobs and cannot afford to lose their benefits. This position is not highly respected. If you are a GSM you are basically everyone's doormat and they expect you to accept this as normal. The Corporate Office is also very disorganized in terms of program implementation and realistic expectations. Minimal resources are allocated and yet one must make miracles. Simon Property Group is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for and would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Upper Management is extremely disconnected with the majority of the employees.

boring but good salary

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time

Pros

good salary, nice people, steady job

Cons

boring, little upward mobility in tho company

Not a pleasant experience

Former Employee - Office Administrator
    Former Employee - Office Administrator

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good health insurance and benefits

Cons

Their focus is their bottom line. They don't care for their employees at all, very little training. No work/life balance

No appreciation for hard work

I have been working at Simon Property Group

Pros

Cons

No growth for woman, all field decisions are made by people that don't work in the field

Marketing Assistant - Field

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small mall management team - a lot of responsibilities (resume worthy)

Cons

If I wanted to advance in the company, I would have had to relocate to a different mall. The compensation was very much on the low end, if I didn't need the relevant work experience I would have passed.

Simon Property Group Photos