Simon Property Group

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Simon Property Group Chairman and CEO David Simon
David Simon

Pros
  • Great benefits some of the lower level managers understand the importance of family (in 5 reviews)

• They treat their full-time employees well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in (in 9 reviews)

• At that point, upper management can then get their jollies kicking you around (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

It's the best of both auditing worlds, internal with Simon's Audit Services and external with E&Y (Simon's external aud)

Former Employee - Audit Services Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Audit Services Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The corporate culture is very welcoming.

Cons

Interns pay for their own parking; and, it can be pricey depending on the location.

An exit interview could help improve the internship program.

The Most Cut-Throat Environment Ever

Former Employee - Guest Services Manager
    Former Employee - Guest Services Manager

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Insurance Benefits, Bonus, nothing else

Cons

Cut-Throat Environment, Bad-Management, Poor Work-Life Balance, Must work on Holidays and Weekends, Low Pay, No Room for Growth, Management only cares about their bonuses. My Manager had no regard for my personal life as she would call me on my days off and expect me to be readily available at all times. Even on days when I would call out sick, she would text and call. I would have to work up to 60 hours per week and only get paid for 40 hours. The company expects you to work a minimum of 50+ hours and only pay you for 40 hours. The majority of Managers micro-manage as this is part of the company culture. The company "Simonizes" its staff into robots who are constantly available who must show up to work even during inclement weather, like blizzards and hurricanes. They expect you to multi-task at the speed of light or you are not efficient enough. Must work long, hard hours on weekends and especially Holidays. I became physically and mentally burned out along with some of my colleagues. There were times when I had no coverage to even use the restroom. I observed racist and elitist comments and attitudes toward minorities and disabled employees. Corporate Office would send email updates and implement new programs every day and require you to get accustomed to the ever-changing environment. Employees walk around the office looking like slobs with no makeup on or business attire due to the high stress the company puts them through. Most employees who remain become brainwashed into company culture and like vultures wait for their turn to move to the next position. One cannot even eat lunch in peace because there was always something that needed to be done at that precise moment. Most Guest Services Mangers do not last a year and when they do, it is because these people have families and must keep their jobs and cannot afford to lose their benefits. This position is not highly respected. If you are a GSM you are basically everyone's doormat and they expect you to accept this as normal. The Corporate Office is also very disorganized in terms of program implementation and realistic expectations. Minimal resources are allocated and yet one must make miracles. Simon Property Group is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for and would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Upper Management is extremely disconnected with the majority of the employees.

Good job for part time

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Simon Property Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay
    Management tries hard to create flexible schedules

Cons

No upward mobility
    Customers are terrible to everyone

Hire from within more

Not a pleasant experience

Former Employee - Office Administrator
    Former Employee - Office Administrator

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good health insurance and benefits

Cons

Their focus is their bottom line. They don't care for their employees at all, very little training. No work/life balance

No appreciation for hard work

I have been working at Simon Property Group

Pros

Cons

No growth for woman, all field decisions are made by people that don't work in the field

boring but good salary

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time

Pros

good salary, nice people, steady job

Cons

boring, little upward mobility in tho company

Marketing Assistant - Field

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small mall management team - a lot of responsibilities (resume worthy)

Cons

If I wanted to advance in the company, I would have had to relocate to a different mall. The compensation was very much on the low end, if I didn't need the relevant work experience I would have passed.

Company is respected in the industry, but a TERRIBLE place to work - Do yourself a favor and DON'T accept an offer!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Not really any pros worth noting, but I will try
    - nice office space in Indy
    -They make other companies look good when recruiters and friends start calling for you to come work for them

Cons

-Management by Fear. This starts with the CEO who is very degrading and has bad manners with employees. Yells, curses, yells more, curses more, tells you are stupid.....
    -Communication from management at all levels is non-existent
    -Very secretive culture
    -IT is terrible. They only upgraded to Windows 7 when XP was not serviced any longer. Was still using Office 2003 in 2014.
    -Many employees feel overworked and under compensated
    -Employees are definitely undervalued and you work in a toxic environment
    -Very little room for development & growth for most
    -Company values are just for show
    -HR is unresponsive and inefficient, so don't bother asking for help
    -No work/life balance
    -There is no development or training for middle management...so inevitably you end up with inept, untrained management and 30% of middle management should never have been promoted from their staff positions
    -You can build a much more fulfilling career elsewhere. Do your self a favor and don't accept an offer. Find a company that has good stated values and actually cares to uphold them.....RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN

-Care for your employees
    -Foster an open culture where departments want to collaborate
    -Develop a talent management system rather than just hiring high priced MBAs off the street - you have no idea what talent works for your company because your culture and HR sucks.
    -Morale is terrible because you do not invest in employees or the resources they need (i.e. your IT resources are terrible)
    -Any one with skills and talent is looking to find somewhere else to work - wake up and smell the coffee!

Old School Company

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time

Pros

Downtown, nice building, business casual dress code, on site gym

Cons

Terrible pay, vacation time (seriously 10 days for 5 years???), benefits, 401(k), and environment. It's a very old school environment and they don't seem to care about their employees. They say they have great training programs for college graduates but their "program" is one to two events a year. You'll get far better and more valuable experience almost anywhere else.

Not worth it!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Simon Property Group part-time

Pros

I couldn't find one the 3 months I worked there, I'm surprised I lasted that long.

Cons

Work-life Balance, like NONE. Working 6 days a week because they're short staffed as if that's my problem.
    No communication through management.
    LAZY management.
    Completely unsupervised work.
    No benefits, they make sure to work you just under the benefits limit.
    My list could continue.