Simon Property Group

Updated October 29, 2014
2.8

Simon Property Group Chairman and CEO David Simon
David Simon

Pros
  • Great benefits some of the lower level managers understand the importance of family (in 5 reviews)

• They treat their full-time employees well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance depending upon which department you're in (in 8 reviews)

• At that point, upper management can then get their jollies kicking you around (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company for people with creative minds, and a lot of time on their hands.

I worked at Simon Property Group

Pros

Gives you the opportunity to explore your creativity with mall events

Cons

Promoting within is a joke

Underpaid, under appreciated, over worked.

I have been working at Simon Property Group

Pros

Though simon property group operates In a dying category with no innovation on the horizon, they seem quite able to create stability for at least the next five years until the internet completely devours their business model.

Cons

This company manages to the lowest common denominator. If you want to think outside a box, have any latitude to affect change or even simply think for yourself- go elsewhere.

Employees are not entitlements.

Awful Experience

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well known company
    Respected in the industry
    Nice corporate office
    Okay location
    Secure industry
    Fitness facility for full-time employees

Cons

Terrible interviewing and onboarding experience. Accepted the job because the company is so well respected in the industry, but I should not have. Benefits are terrible, comp is terrible, IT systems belong in the 1980's, management from middle to top is terrible, you'll get 10 days of vacation for 5 years unless you flirt with a recruiter. They don't care about their employees and do not hesitate to let their employees know they are easily replaceable.

I worked at Simon for five years.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Simon is an international genius in the real estate world but not in its home-grown back yard. Nice building, altho shoddily constructed; one might expect more of this giant. Charitable contributions (if that they are) are amazing.

Cons

Way too little (i.e., none) training, support and mentoring; ugly management, always changing; pitiful IT systems.

Invest in your most profitable resource, your employees.

No good

I have been working at Simon Property Group

Pros

nothing is goof about this company. their management team is a job and they take advantage of their employees

Cons

everything about this company is terrible. I have nothing nice to say about them no.

Unprofessional atmosphere

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits that are offered are pretty good overall and are somewhat competitive.

Cons

It seems that you have to be friends with or related to someone high up in the company in order to move up within the company. Many people are very unprofessional and rude.

Decent job, but you'll need to figure it out on your own

Current Employee - Guest Services Manager
    Current Employee - Guest Services Manager

I have been working at Simon Property Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits, with an opportunity for bonuses with hard work (and a little luck). This position has several different areas of focus, and I can choose how much time, and when, to spend on each. In my case, my superiors are knowledgeable and approachable.

Cons

NO FORMAL TRAINING PROGRAM AT ALL. In an organization of this size, that's unacceptable. High turnover is a direct result of this. Outdated, slow computer system that relies on Lotus Notes (!), Microsoft Office 2002, and a million other programs that require a separate login, none of which can give you a complete picture all on their own. I have to look at three or four different reports to see what my guest services representatives sold the day before. Similar to any other job in the mall, there are easy times (summer) and times that are incredibly difficult and stressful (the Christmas season). There's not much middle ground.

I know it's expensive, but we need a computer upgrade. Yes, all the information we need is on the Bulletin Board or on in the Policies and Procedures section, but have you actually ever tired to FIND anything there? We waste so much time trying to pull up a policy or find directions that could be better spent selling, coaching, etc. With no training program at all, we need easier access to vital information. Speaking of which, it's unheard of for any organization to not have ANY training programs. Basic web-based training courses, videos, or heck, even a CHECKLIST of stuff we need to know would make a huge difference. You've got some incredibly talented, dedicated people working for you, but unless they luck out and have someone available to train them right, they're getting lost, frustrated, and they'll eventually quit.

Good company if you're working in the right office.

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

understanding of family necessities, good pay, a job well done is recognized by corporate

Cons

immediate management is not well qualified or knowledgeable in some locations, no training offered, management tries to be sneaky and go behind the backs of employees to get information, etc

make sure the mall managers are well trained before they manage their own mall

Culture of Fear. Archaic Technology. Undervalued People.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intelligent, friendly people for the most part. (The really good ones won't last here though.) Nice building.

Cons

Lotus Notes. MS Office 2003. No training & development. High stress environment. Most people fear "the 14th floor" (aka upper management). Many employees I know feel overworked and under compensated. Employees are definitely undervalued. Toxic environment. Very little room for development & growth for most. Company values are a crock. HR is unresponsive and inefficient, so don't bother going that route for help. No work/life balance. You can build a much more fulfilling career elsewhere. Long story short-- just don't do it to yourself.

Leave. Retire. Disappear.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Guest Services Manager
    Former Employee - Guest Services Manager

I worked at Simon Property Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Corporate reviews your progress in monthly meetings. Managing a team gives you some control of the outcome. Great networking opportunity as you do a lot of cold calling.

Cons

Archaic computer systems and number driven results. My day was spent cold calling. Constant changing of policies. High turn over. Your experience at Simon seems to depend on the support of upper management. Our management office was full of bickering and tears. No chance at promotion as nepotism ran rampant. Our management team would slip out during the day to go shopping then wondered why our numbers dropped! Was sold on job as Monday-Friday 9am-5pm yet worked nearly every day until 8p and every weekend due to budget issues. HR was unsupportive when reported.

Get your act together! House needs to be cleaned with fresh talent brought in and update your computers already! It isn't 2000. Support field offices as teams instead of groups of individuals.

Simon Property Group Photos