Simplex Investments

Add Photos

Mathew Gray

Cutting Edge Tech, Great Environment, Supportive Community

Trader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFull IT staff in office, wonderful help desk. Top notch equipment available, and we hold weekly meetings about what other tools we could use throughout the trading day. Profit sharing, monthly performance bonuses. Daily Lunch included.

ConsJust like any other company in the business: Fast paced and stressful. I come in to do as I'm expected: Make money. If you can't make money, you're not going to have a good time.

Just Plain Awful

Trader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe management is cool and the developers are extremely talented and friendly. The prop software they have developed is nothing but the best.

ONLY go here if you back your own account.

ConsSadly, that's where the pros stop. I spent some time here a while back and the traders who work here are a despicable bunch. I couldn't believe the amount of trash talk and obvious backstabbing that was actually allowed. They want trading ideas, but when you provide them, someone else takes your idea and claims it as their own, and gives you no credit whatsoever. They also love to leave their email chat up just so you can see them talk about you behind their back. A fine way to develop trust between coworkers.

There's NO upward mobility and the turnover rate is astounding. Look at prior reviews. Every graduating class they bring in new traders just to let them go (conveniently right before bonus time) as the next wave of college grads come in. You think that many reviews could be wrong? They aren't. The pay is also insulting; you could easily find another trading firm that will ON AVERAGE pay you double. Be wise and look elsewhere.

Oh, and forget about their business outlook. Once they can't get any more speed, this place is toast.

No matter how pretty you wrap your lump of coal under your Xmas tree, it's still a lump of coal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe training program is worse than awful, it's nonexistent. I was put with some incompetent fool who had no social skills. If this firm wants to be successful, hire some senior traders who aren't narcissistic and who actually have trading experience, or better yet, TRAIN your new employees.

A trader's perspective

Senior Trader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFast paced, exciting work environment. Talented and dedicated employees (in all areas: trading, development, support). The company is committed to attaining excellence in everything it does. Employees share in the firms success and are motivated to contribute to the growth of the firm. Very strong company culture and great benefits.

ConsLike any job in the trading industry it can be stressful and management expects high levels of contribution and dedication from employees. However, employees maintain work/life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Trader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou get to learn trading. They have a basic training program that walks you through the fundamentals of derivatives trading. Some (emphasis on some) staff are helpful.

ConsTerrible salary. No upward mobility. Management has temper tantrums all the time. Extremely stressful work environment. Low employee morale. They also lied to me about the compensation structure during my interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect, pay traders what they are worth.

I learned quickly what there was to learn and realized it was the end of the road after 2 months

Options Trader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou learn the basics of options trading and get hands on experience. Young and less bureaucratic work environment. Teaches you that trading retail options is usually a bad idea.

ConsLow starting salary without benefits and no contract. They give a bonus to one person and it was a gift certificate for 100 dollars. There is no future in working here as the options are moving to penny spread.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the margins are so low and it is not economical to pay options traders sufficiently maybe it's better to for go the opportunity and not pillage naive recent graduates.

Though it was short, it was a great learning experience

Software Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFast Paced, excellent culture, free lunch and drinks, got to learn a lot.

ConsSmall company that has just started to grow.

If you've got talent...this is NOT the place for you!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCatered lunch and decent health benefits.

ConsThis company has a reputation for hire and fire. People are hired with very high expectations, placed under an extreme degree of pressure, and are then fired within months. If you are lucky enough to make it to bonus season, well, don't expect to be wowed. If you are unlucky enough to be in the crossfire when things are going wrong you WILL be screamed at (and we're talking borderline abusive). There are MANY MANY trading firms in the Chicago area. If you've got talent you should really do your homework and talk to firms other than Simplex. Not only will you be compensated better, but, you will be happier in an environment that is more respectful of it's employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's really common sense that people do not like to work under the kind of pressure that is common practice at Simplex. Treat people with respect. Pay people what their experience is worth. Stop the whole hire and fire practice!

Horrible

Software Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay, Good location, Good benefits

Cons1)They apply for your H1-B only after u have worked for 3 months. Basically u have a chance of getting fired between the 3 mnths
    2) Training is hard
    3) THE Biggest
    I joined the company right after i graduated from college, campus hire and i was laid off with the rest of all the new hires in exactly 4 weeks. 4 WEEKS. No prior notice, no benefits given , NOTHING. Called us to the conference table (18 of us) and just told us in 5 min , u guys r laid off. Please leave .
     Even if u dont have another job, DO NOT JOIN

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not hire so many ppl when u plan to lay them off in a month.

Most stressful experience ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSalary was ok, as well as the benefits.

ConsUnstable working environment
    No room for progress
    High turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more support to new employees
    Better management of workload, projects and employees

Look somewhere else - much better trading firm opportunities in Chicago

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCatered Lunch
    Snacks and drinks
    Hard working co-workers

ConsHaving worked at other trading companies in the area, I would rank Simplex in the bottom quartile of trading companies in the area. Most good companies in the Chicago area cater lunch.

Unprofessional management (you can be screamed at almost anytime for any reason), bad compensation structure, practically no career advancement opportunities.

If you are serious about learning (technology/trading) and being compensated for your contributions - look else where. You will be better off almost anywhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more professional work environment or, get used to employees resigning in the first 2 months.

Worked for Simplex Investments? Contribute to the Community!