SimplexGrinnell
www.simplexgrinnell.com Boca Raton, FL 5000+ Employees

SimplexGrinnell Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
SimplexGrinnell – Sacramento – “Our Fire Truck”

SimplexGrinnell President Robert F. (Bob) Chauvin

Robert F. (Bob) Chauvin

Pros:
  • "Mostly great co-workers, some suck ups and tatle tails because they have learned that is what managment wants"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Company vehicle, decent salary, good local people to work with"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The service department has been taken out of the hands of service background people and put into the hands of bean counters"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Too much gossip and interoffice mingling of upper management with the office scum"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Professional

I worked at SimplexGrinnell

ProsSalary is very competitive and fair

Consteam work needs work, favoritism is obvious

Glad I left

Senior Tech Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNothing here; I'm drawing a blank

ConsIf you are thinking of going to work for these tools, take my advice.....about-face and run like you've never ran before. I was a twelve year employee, and I'm telling the truth when I say that leaving was one of the best moves that I have made.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep right on going down the road that you're on. I'm positive that if you keep repeating the same dumb mistakes over and over that one day you will wake up and the outcome will be different. You live by that philosiphy, but I never drank the coolaid and bought into it. But hey, what ever floats your boat.

Poor management

Service Technician (Former Employee)
High Point, NC

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than 3 years

Prosnone...they lie and cheat customers.

Consmanagers have not a clue on how things work

Advice to Senior Managementleave employees alone

SSR

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time

Prosthe merger of two titans in the industry

Constoo big and disconnected from its customers...

Advice to Senior Managementthe company has lost whatever made the two companies (Simplex & Grinnell) amazing companies. get back to being local by not using a call center for service calls, this creates a significant disconnect between the local office and the local customer...

Paid the bills, great benefits, but overworked.

Collections & Sprinkler Service Administrative (Former Employee)
Conyers, GA

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits & decent pay.

ConsI worked there over 10 yrs ago & they were restructuring the company. They are always restructuring something. My co-workers were typical of any office environment. Some were cutthroat, some were helpful. The branch manager was the worst guy I've ever had the displeasure of working for. HR didn't do diddly squat to help. He is no longer there from what I understand.

Just awful...

Fire Alarm Inspector (Former Employee)

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMoney. Insurance... the same Pros that come with just about any job.

ConsManagement. Management in this company needs to be cut in half and the savings distributed among the people that actually do the work. Managers, either lower or upper level, are nothing but middlemen that absorb insane amounts of money. The managers are do nothings that provide no service to the customer or the employee and don't deserve a paycheck.

If I were managing a building, I would never, ever choose SimplexGrinnell to service anything. I wouldn't let SimplexGrinnell walk my dog for fear it would take months to complete the work and then I'd get over charged.

SimplexGrinnell is 100% money motivated. SimplexGrinnell cares nothing about their customers and they have zero integrity. At SimplexGrinnell, it's the employee's job to have integrity. Not management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, look for a different job. Go find a job where you can perform profitable work instead of leeching from others.

Good company before it was purchased by Tyco and steadily going downhill

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits, company vehicle and vertical promotions

ConsMicro-management, culture is bad, to top heavy, 6 Sigma is ridiculous and to many corporate pass downs with unreal expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing every piece of the business.

Company does not have any loyalty to long time employees

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProtecting and preserving lives and property

ConsUpper management has lost site of reality in the business

Going Downhill Fast

Inspector (Current Employee)

I have been working at SimplexGrinnell full-time

ProsSimplexGrinnell is a subsidiary of Tyco International, which is a huge multinational conglomerate with their hands in many different industries. This means that they have a lot of resources at their disposal.

They match 401k contributions, their benefits package is nice (if slowly sagging in cost-effectiveness), and they also have discounts with many other companies.

They provide extensive on-the-job training in the life safety industy (fire alarm, sprinkler, supression, etc.), they encourage their employees to get certifications appropriate to their position and cover the cost for them to do so, and also provide tuition reimbursement up to a yearly maximum of $7500 with no commitment to stay with the company.

They provide transportation for lead inspectors and management (who also get personal use of their vehicle at a nominal cost).

ConsSimplexGrinnell is run by lawyers and bean counters, and management will always rely on what numbers appear to tell them rather than being rational and listening to the voice of common sense and experience. If upper management is going to focus solely on increasing their numbers, they need to disconnect themselves from the process a bit and let lower management do what they need to do to get the desired results, rather than burying them in stipulations. Managers are encouraged to micromanage their employees, and sometimes go to considerable lengths to do so.

To that end, when upper management says that they want to see something happen, you can't rationalize why it won't happen; it either happens to their satisfaction or you find yourself a new job, which they seem to delight in reminding employees. (You can forget about loyalty. I've seen them demote and subsequently terminate an employee who was with the company for 27 years because he wouldn't give them the answers they wanted to get.)

Decaled vehicles are fitted with GPS tracking devices that report your position, speed, time you started your vehicle, any stops you make, and will throw up a red flag if you get home even a minute before upper management thinks you should. Vehicles are only given to leads, sales people and management; if you are none of these (especially inspector trainees), you can expect to have to drive your personal vehicle significant distances, and they don't care how much you drive it, nor will they reimburse you for doing so, either for mileage or gas. If you're lucky enough to live near your lead, though, you may be able to a hitch a ride to and from the job site(s).

Upward mobiltiy is limited. Supposedly preference is given to in-house employees in consideration for new positions, but you will often see employees get passed over for somebody outside of the company.

Compensation is below the industry average. For an industry leader with prices to match, you might think that they would pass the wealth onto their employees to breed loyalty and high morale, but no. If you're offered a better paying position with a competitor, they will make a counter-offer if you're valuable to them, but they still won't match the better offer.

Again, for an industry leader, they are way behind the technology curve; their inspection software is a kludge of an archaic package from the pre-Windows 95 days (Watcom Extender? Really?), band-aided to work in more recent environments. Essentially, if something works, they have no intention of spending the money to update or improve it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no be-all, end-all, one-size-fits-all solution to fix every company; every one is different. Simplex was a profitable and well-respected company before Tyco acquired them, and if upper management backed off and gave lower management more freedom in operating, rather than beating them to death with numbers and demanding performance, you would eventually see happier customers, happier employees, and the numerical growth would come from many sources simultaneously as a result. Bean counters just can't see the bigger picture.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

very poor

ESSR (Former Employee)
Springfield, MO

I worked at SimplexGrinnell full-time for more than 8 years

Prossome great employees to work with,

ConsPoor to no manegment, company is suppose to be based on ehtics, Distict general manages are never aware of a problem with a customer or job. customers after sale are just a pice of meat to rape again and again. Simplexgrinnell wins jobs by lowering or completey sell without margins, then rape the customer after the contract is signed. not enough technicaqns with the capability to take care of customers after sale
Managers like to get into your business, especially personell, and as far as getting a raise, unless you meet TYCO;s expectations you can forget it, no matter how hard wou work

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to do your job instead of pawning it off of someone else, when you hire someone, dont expect to go to Taco Bell to get a Person capable of installing or servicing the equipment.
understand what you are there for, instead of worrying about RVI and wether themargins wil be ok on a job completed. And as far as the customer, you need to quit saying I was not aware and get some balls to admit your mistakes or invovlement instead of blaming others.

Worked for SimplexGrinnell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SimplexGrinnell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SimplexGrinnell CEO Robert F. (Bob) Chauvin. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by SimplexGrinnell employees.