SimplexGrinnell
www.simplexgrinnell.com Boca Raton, FL 5000+ Employees

SimplexGrinnell Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
SimplexGrinnell – Sacramento – “Our Fire Truck”

SimplexGrinnell President Robert F. (Bob) Chauvin

Robert F. (Bob) Chauvin

Pros:
  • "Company vehicle, gas card, company cell phone, decent starting pay"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great benefits, fantastic training opportunites, many great people"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management has very little working knowledge of the services provided - mostly bean counters & sales people"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Upper management is constantly breathing down employees necks"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Spreadsheet focused

ProsBenefits are pretty good - not union good - but pretty good. Room for advancement if you can relocate.

ConsMgmt seems to be focused on the spreadsheet instead of the customers and employees. I believe employees are seen mainly as an expense and they are doing everything possible to reduce that expense, even at the expense of customer satisfaction and employee moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees that take care of your customers are not just an expense. They are your money-makers. Acknowledge that and take care of them. Employee moral is WAY down.

Long term competitiveness of company in question.

Six Sigma Black Belt (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe people on the frontlines of the business still care about the customer and take pride in delivering quality service.

ConsUpper management thinking short term oriented with little consideration to future investment in business, this includes cultivating their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementConforming to the global business model format which so many companies are leaning towards today to be profitable is easy, finding the path that allows the company to maintain its unique identity while still being competitive and profitable in todays market is the true indicator of a unique leadership team.

Had excellent experience working with great people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery high quality standards and very professional associates at all levels and in all areas of the business. Great training and great advancement opportunities.

ConsToo much emphasis on short term profits. Not enough attention to long term growth. Too much accounting, not enough marketing and product development.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management need more contact with the market place.. At the district office and customer level.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long Term Employee - see it disintegrating

Phila, PA

ProsThere are some wonderfully experienced, professionals working here

ConsEastern Operation and Regional management handcuff local manager, supervisors and sales reps from accomplishing goals set for them by layoffs and hiring freezes.
    Totally unrealistic expectations; making too many 'check-boxes' and administrative functions for sales staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are MANY qualified, talented and dedicated people working here, LET THEM DO THEIR JOBS. Reports and spreadsheets do not add up to you knowing the business.
    Ask and take advice from the long term employees who actually know the market and the business.
    Very often: you do not know best

SG makes you feel as though you are just a number

ProsThe people I worked with were very welcoming and seemed to care.

ConsManagement was really bad about follow through on issues. It is a big corporate environment and seems like the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees.

Lovely Operation, but should work on Process Improvement

Warehouse (Former Employee)
    Lithia Springs, GA

ProsGreat Benefits, Insurance, and Retirement Plan

ConsThe distribution center is still young and should look at training instead of removing associates from the company

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand what you want to be in the next 5 years

A bumpy ride

Sprinkler Service Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay good benefits if you keep asking you can get good support but sometimes it takes a lot of asking of many different people

ConsOnce you reach a certain point raises stop everyday they add more and more paper work to do

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing

Great place to work

ProsGrowth opportunities - investment in employees - culture of pay-for-performance

Conschanging direction at times - sometimes goals change mid-year - many upward mobility requires relocation.

Would only recommend to my greatest enemies if I wish them suffering.

Inspector (Former Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsTechnical knowledge will be learned. The on the job training is very poor, which can work to your benefit as most often you will be left to figure everything out on your own. You will learn if you are a capable person and if you realize soon enough that you have to rely on yourself.

ConsInspection Department is a joke. Management tends to force employees into deciding when to take their annual vacation at the very beginning of the fiscal year. More numbers driven than a knowledgeable when it comes to knowing their employees.

Growth within the company is very unsatisfactory. Management will often refuse to offer decent raises despite bringing in great numbers and sales leads. Only time I was finally offered a decent raise, namely $3 above my hourly, was when I told my manager I was going to quit the company. Middle management is full of 'yes men' who really serve their purpose well in serving upper management and preventing lower employees from climbing the ladder. Very stingy when it comes to money.

They will always praise you for your hard work and offer very little in return. I can see why many employees before me had left. What is left is a bunch of lackluster employees who are still on the job because they have no where else to go. There are other good employees but I can definitely tell they're waiting for better opportunities to arise before they leave. I got on board when the company lost 4 guys who quit and hired me and 3 other newbies.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to lie to employees. We're not children and we're definitely onto what you guys are doing. We can definitely tell you're a business with profits in mind, but we're still intelligent human beings. Of course we can do excellent work, but all you do is pile extra work on top of it and expect us to bring in the numbers, all the while having very little to show in appreciation. Those barbecues and picnics we have don't mean squat to bring up morale if we're unhappy overall with the company.

High School

Service Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Westminster, MA

ProsClose to home
    Descent pay scale

ConsManagement doesn't seem to care about family concerns
    A core group of employees haze new hires and there are no reprecussions
    A lot of people do not do their jobs
    Poor intercompany communication
    A lot of passing the buck

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people that are dragging you down. They're losing customers and chasing away hard working people that would have liked to grow with the company.

Worked for SimplexGrinnell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SimplexGrinnell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SimplexGrinnell CEO Robert F. (Bob) Chauvin. All 106 reviews posted anonymously by SimplexGrinnell employees.