SimpliVity Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
CEO

Well-run, well-managed technology venture with a leading-edge portfolio

Former Employee - Tech Writer in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Tech Writer in Westborough, MA

I worked at SimpliVity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on leading-edge hyper-convergence solutions.

Well thought-out and clearly-communicated business strategy to which everyone adheres. No confusion about what to do or when to do it. This includes managing the rapid change in this business.

Unique career development/reward and recognition strategy.

One of the very few places that I have worked where they did what was right and good for me (and in the long term, right for the company) even though it made life more difficult for my manager in the short term.

Highly skilled and carefully-selected people and managers, in general. Every place has dead wood, but the process at SimpliVity keeps them to a minimum, brings them into line, or gets rid of them.

The company makes a genuine attempt at work-life balance, even when the pace is frenetic.
    Good team-mates and managers who help, support, and appreciate your efforts, right up to the CEO. A good salary and benefits package is great, but regularly being told that you do a good job is highly motivating and rewarding.

Autonomy and responsibility devolved to the team and the individual. I had the opportunity to propose, design and implement solutions.

The company has an excellent process for extracting learning from things that go wrong, making things right, and then improving the process. This does not involve beatings or fault-finding. Consequently, it encourages you to take risks, make mistakes and be genuinely creative without worrying about the consequences of failure. I took some big risks here, and probably did some of the best work in my 30-year career.

Good HR team - communicative and effective.

"OK", you ask, "if SimpliVity is such a good gig, why did you leave"?

A wise man once said, "some people are no longer suitable for the mission". I constantly evaluate my performance, work-life balance, personal life goals, and my responsibilities to the people I love. There were things that I put off for many years working in high-pressure jobs. I could not attend to these and give full attention to my job. SimpliVity bent over backwards to accommodate me and I was very impressed and gratified that they tried to make it work. We parted with mutual respect, and I remain a shareholder and a strong supporter. I'm confident in their success and therefore have no problem strongly recommending SimpliVity as an employer.

Cons

Not much.

There are few better places to work in my 30-year experience. Although SimpliVity is a rapidly-growing corporation, it is still a VC funded enterprise in start-up mode. It competes in a rapidly-evolving and dynamic business sector. Therefore, the work pace is fast, hours can be long, and there are very high expectations of you.

No-compete agreement. Like most MA startups, they require a very broad no-compete. Because SimpliVity is a convergence solution, their business is, in fact, very broad. It encompasses technologies that include storage, computing, networking, deduplication, compression, WAN optimization.

As a technical writer, this does not affect me as much - I can find work in industry or pharma. However, I am opposed to non-competes because I believe that they have a net negative affect on the economy and on innovation. Most of what they strive to achieve can be accomplished in a less restrictive non-disclosure agreement.

Advice to Management

Stick to the program. it works.

Trust your shareholder employees - lose the no-compete. Why would we do anything to reduce the chance of a payoff?

2. Growing leaps and bounds!

I have been working at SimpliVity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, excellent growth potential, new faces and people to connect with every day, very fair compensation, competitive benefits

Cons

Sometimes very long hours - such is the nature of a start-up

Military ruled company - Stressful.

I have been working at SimpliVity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks includes free lunch.Exciting technology to work for.
    Good pay.

Cons

CEO is from military & the company has military rules.
    I was told first day, show up by 9am & the CEO checks the time cards.
    Mandatory Training starts at 7am on Saturdays too.
    Every one works 9-9 here to impress their bosses.
    The manager gets critical if we work from home for a day in a month.
    No Work-life balance.

Advice to Management

People have other priorities in life too.

This company is focused and going places

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I have been working at SimpliVity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting technology in a space that has true potential to disrupt legacy and status quo systems. The company is focused on building the right product not just selling something. Large number of engineers who are focused on building building world class technology. Everyone seems very passionate about the product and believes in the CEO. Family and work life balance are highly valued.

Cons

Still too early too tell. Its a very fast paced environment in a technology space that continues to change quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to build upon the core team you have deployed. Bolster the technical marketing and engage further in the industry as a whole.

6. The best company I have ever worked for....

Current Employee - Sales in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Sales in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at SimpliVity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A "big company in formation", a great collaborative work place, a revolutionary and ground breaking product, they want and listen to your feedback - good and bad. Our culture is that we are a team, a family and we should extend the charity principle to all of our colleagues - so cut each other some slack if something goes wrong.
    A positive, exciting and kind company to work for. It does not get much better.

Cons

It is a start up, so we could do with more resource, but again they listen to us and adjust/provide.

Advice to Management

You are doing just great carry on as you are and do not change.

RSS Feed </> Embed