Simply Business Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

4.4

Jason Stockwood

I've never learned so much at a company

Former Employee - Developer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Simply Business full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was with Simply Business a long time and feel lucky to have spent that time with them. Of all companies I have worked at, they are by far the most open to trying and learning new things. This fearlessness of change and improvement has put the company streets ahead of other companies who claim to be Agile. Simply Business have nailed actually being Agile, and additionally there's a great culture of doing things through Lean processes.

What they have really nailed well, is being composed of multiple small teams all focussed around a particular objective, and each those teams being composed of a member of each part of the business. This means that all parts of the business are engaged and accountable to their team, help each other out and are much more easily able to empathise with the constraints of each others role and accordingly work together with those constraints.

This is a whole different world from other companies which are simply split by department - with a 'business' side and a 'tech' side in which nobody truly understands each others constraints and just ends up in inefficiency and conflict.

Simply Business put a great deal of effort into ensuring that anybody can voice their opinion and help steer the direction of the company. Whether you have positive or negative feedback, you feel comfortable to speak it - regardless of whether you're in a small team meeting or one of the big regular all-company meetings.

It was easy to take inspiration from senior management, and their genuine drive to shake things up for the better in what has traditionally been a complacent industry with a lack of customer focus.

Cons

I agree with one of the other reviews that space is an issue, as the company has grown so quickly it can be very difficult to get usage of a meeting room, and there's not much lunchtime / recreational space without being a distraction to people not currently taking lunch / downtime.

Perhaps a stronger 1-1 mentorship programme, where it's much easier for any employee to get access to a personal mentor either from someone senior in the company, or even someone external.

Whilst the company is by far one of the most customer-focussed in the industry - I still think there's room to be even more customer focussed and to be building things in a completely customer driven way.

This includes customers of the business as a whole, but also customers of the product and tech teams - who may be internal users of the product. Be more ready to try things directly with customers and throw a minumum of 30% of them away in an effort to find the things that really make an impact, rather than attempting to directly attribute everything to a revenue outcome.

Best company I have worked for

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Simply Business full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Most friendly bunch of colleagues you'll come across
    - No overly rigid structures and processes, every process can be questioned... by anyone
    - Relatively flat hierarchy
    - They genuinely love technology - participate in regular hackathons, discussion groups, conferences
    - There is no business-developers separation. It means that the business have a greater understanding of what the developers do, and vice versa
    - Remote working is possible
    - Surrounded by smart people, always an opportunity to learn

Cons

- Office space was the main challenge (which may have changed since I left). Cons were not the reason for my leaving the company, was very happy there.

Always a challenge, but consider the tech 20% time policy, finding a way for it to work. Also may need some more office space.

Pleasant Place To Work

Current Employee - Developer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Simply Business full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Very friendly staff. People take their time out to help you with issues
    -They realise when thing aren't working and try and change them.
    -They allow remote working
    -No blame culture
    -Deadlines aren't stressful even when they have to be done to please regulators
    -Encourage all workers to learn new skills and technologies that could benefit the business
    -A proper Agile workplace

Cons

- A few of the staff are prima donnas
    - Issues with office space and furniture

As the company grows you will need to evolve some of the processes and drop other practises.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly people, huge monolithic messy code base, global deployment lock, massive inertia to change

I worked at Simply Business

Pros

The people here are very friendly and willing to listen to ideas, they pay well and are pretty relaxed about time keeping. The work isn't technically difficult and there are very few stressful deadlines. Open to remote working fairly regularly.

Cons

People listening to ideas does not translate into change easily - or at all. Fairly rigid adherence to ceremony. Not very well shared understanding of process. Lack of technical challenge can make things boring. Teams and desks constantly re-arranged. Very little structure to the organisation. Everyone inputs on everything, and you need to address every single piece of feedback.

Hire experienced technical leads, create several smaller teams, and give them the authority to do what is necessary to deliver projects. Put people in line management positions that have both the desire and the skill necessary to execute these roles.

Simply Fantastic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Simply Business

Pros

Ive worked here for over 2 years now and cannot be happier. We made the move to Agile and it was a little rough but we've come out of it a better and stronger company.
    The people I work with are competent, friendly and Great fun to be with.
    Management does not micro-manage.

Cons

Product isn't 'sexy'. It is insurance after all!

Keep supporting the decisions that are made to improve our processes.

Worked for Simply Business? Contribute to the Community!