Simply Hired Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Simply Hired President and CEO James Beriker
James Beriker

Go-Getters & Self-Advocates Please Apply!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Simply Hired is unique. With 10 years of expertise in the recruitment industry, we're not a true start-up. However with a small and agile team, we're definitely not a large corporation with bureaucratic hierarchy and team silos.

Our team is focused on working underneath the umbrella of our company's core values: Passion, Accountability, One Team, Respect, Rigor, and Innovation. These values shape the way that we do business and work together cross-functionally every single day. The company values those who not only think creatively with the company's best interests at heart, but also advocate for those thoughts. This is not an environment for those who are comfortable sitting back and letting "the boss" make the decisions.

The people who succeed and grow at Simply Hired are those that want to work hard, smart, and have a little bit of fun doing it.

A lot of these reviews have spent time detailing the ‘perks’ of working at Simply Hired, namely free lunch, fun company-wide events, and lots of yummy snacks. However, our true differentiator is in the people that work here. This company is made up of some of the smartest and most passionate people you will ever meet. I’ve never worked somewhere where people care so very much. From engineers to customer service, our team’s rock stars show up every day determined to have their voices heard, and their ideas implemented.

Apart from the people, another reason to love working at Simply Hired is the size of the organization. With only about 150 employees, our teams are small. People who use the phrase, “that’s not in my job description” beware, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you like to collaborate, enjoy working cross-functionally, want to jump into exciting projects, and want an opportunity to learn, then you should apply today!

Finally, I recommend Simply Hired for people early on in their career. This is an excellent place to learn and develop your career. With an executive team built of equal men and women, management is always open to ideas, discussion, and most importantly mentorship. If you see a project that you’re interested in, ask to be a part of it, or ask to sit in. If you know that an exec has a background you’re interested in (i.e. you want to be a VP in a large company, or you want to explore finance), then ask to set up a meeting. They are always happy to help guide and support your career growth, or even to set you up with someone that they think can help. I know quite a few people in the organization who have begun personal mentorship relationships with various executives.

Cons

Frankly, it’s taken us a long time to get to this point. We’ve taken a few missteps and employee confidence was shaken. However, we’re moving in the right direction and internal confidence in the team and product continue to grow. For a while, the team was bogged down in negativity. However, as long as we all continue to come to work passionate and positive, Simply Hired will grow and thrive. To those of you reading these reviews, know that our team is determined to not let the past dictate who we are becoming. This growing organization is dedicated to ensuring that the culture, products, and team that we build are going to be a winning combination.

Advice to Management

My advice to our leadership team is to continue to interact with the larger team every day. By building personal relationships we destroy destructive fear and discomfort that inhibit creativity and teamwork. I also think you should try to look harder for the quieter members of the team who may not be excellent self-advocates as of yet, so that we can help support and mentor them. However, I think most of what needs to be done at Simply Hired is not the responsibility of leadership, but rather the responsibility of all of us.

To the team: let’s continue to live our new company values every day and to encourage that in others around us. When we observe behavior that does not lie within these values, let’s point it out! Most importantly, let’s approach all that we do with kindness, empathy, and passion!

Great company - great people!

I worked at Simply Hired full-time

Pros

The team is very cohesive and collaborative. I enjoyed my stint there, and am still good friends with the majority of the people there.

Cons

The company isn't perfect, but which company truly is? Would I ever go back, without hesitation.

Advice to Management

Just keep on keeping on! Be transparent to the employees, support them, let them make mistakes and learn by their mistakes.

3. Growing bigger and better!

I have been working at Simply Hired

Pros

Great vision and great opportunity to transform the marketplace. Starting to really figure out what is important to both the job seekers and the employers. See this company growing tremendously over the next couple of years.

Cons

Have had some bumps in the road and delays launching new products (but then again who hasn't). Seems to be a decent level of turnover but the important players and solid managers have hung around since I've been here.

Amazing Culture, Amazing People, Amazing Vision

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time

Pros

Everyone has different experiences within this company. For me, I've had nothing but good things to say and things only seem to be getting better.

-Numerous growth opportunities
    -Clear company vision and culture strengthened by tangible reinforcements
    -Monthly all-hand meetings to keep in touch with what major projects are being worked on by other teams
    -Great mentorship, weekly 1:1 meetings
    -Management is open to and invites new suggestions and ideas
    -Invites outside speakers to inspire employees
    -Great employee interaction - there's no cubicles to section departments off from one another so communication flows smoothly and easily. The company also isn't too big so many employees know each other by name and can work with each other easily
    -Even ratio of men and women (from top company positions down to the average employee)
    -"The works" of company perks: free catered lunches (food trucks on Fridays in the summer), flexible work environment, monthly happy hours, fully-stocked kitchen, ping-pong tables, company laser-tagging

Cons

May be a little hard to believe, but there's not much I can speak into apart from the need to further build upon the core set of company values that were recently established.

Advice to Management

Keep strengthening the core values that were recently set in place. There's great potential to be had in bringing those values to life.

Sales Development Representative

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive management. Start up feeling with great team spirit and opportunity to have fun.
    Free lunch with many choices Monday-Thursday, buffet style from various ethnic cuisines on Friday.

Competitive salary with good chance for advancement.

Cons

The working environment can get quite noisy.

Worst place I've ever been

I worked at Simply Hired (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at the company are the best things about this company. Many are genuine and hardworking and there is a definite sense of community here. I keep in touch with a lot of people I met while working here and I am always happy when more are able to escape.

Cons

Hands down the worst working environment I have been in. There’s a reason that almost every employee that has left this company has terrible things to say about it.

Amongst some of the worst things about this company:

Blatant favoritism causing tension with employees. Some people are set up to succeed while others never stand a chance. The favoritism extends to every aspect of being at this company, from hiring and salary to promotions and projects. Entry level salaries for regular employees is so low I had to check whether they were even above poverty levels. For people who have connections to the company (especially to the CEO), salary levels are bloated compared to experience. In the two years since the CEO joined and brought in the CFO, the company has never started an employee or peer feedback program. I have never worked in a place that offers performance based promotions without some kind of a feedback system. CEO has an “anonymous” surveymonkey that lets people send in feedback but nothing changes. The company is up in arms that their glassdoor rating is so low but a quick readthrough of the feedback shows that exiting employees are dissatisfied. Instead of changing anything the company is just posting phony 5-star reviews.

Not a female friendly environment at all. Though there are more females on the executive staff than at most companies, there is a very strong anti-female attitude in at least two of the departments. The leaders (one of whom is a female herself) have added to a very high churn of the female members of their teams. Talk to any female who has left the company in the past year or two and you will hear horror stories of how some of the leaders behave.

Employee misbehavior left unchecked. As an extension of the favoritism, there is also some really bs behavior that is allowed to exist. HR department is completely useless in regulating basic expectations. A member of the recruiting team has been sharing salary information with other team members which is a complete violation of privacy. This has been reported to the CEO and yet this employee still remains on staff. Some of the behaviors of the executive team are also so bad that I’m not sure why an executive coach hasn’t been brought in to teach them basics rules about respect and leadership. When your manager is reaming out one employee and then praising another one where both of them didn’t deserve what they got, that is a problem. Does the leadership team really not see how unfairly they are acting?

I can honestly say that I regret working for this company and that every new exemployee that posts a review on glassdoor only shows how much this company is failing to fix all of its problems. It’s a shame and it’s a disgrace.

Advice to Management

Instead of getting upset with exemployees who are posting truthful reviews on glassdoor (and here’s a tip to your crazy employee WHO THINKS USING ALL CAPS HELPS TO MAKE A POINT), you need to start reading what people are saying. You may think that putting on parties and having anonymous surveymonkeys builds trust but your HR team and your executive team are almost always off the mark. Build a fair environment and people will genuinely be happy. Continue with all the biased treatment and you’re only going to allow dissatisfaction to build. It’s a virtuous cycle that you have not manage to tackle effectively for many years. It’s time to start.

It can be a fun place, but it's not right for everyone and few stay for the long term

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful team and good people
    - Great open office, and good location near downtown Mountain View and downtown Sunnyvale
    - Flexible environment, WFH
    - Free lunches and on Fridays, catered lunches
    - Monthly happy hours and various office events
    - Work life balance - few people work past 5:30 or 6pm
    - Fairly even ratio of men to women, even in the leadership team

There's a lot I love about Simply Hired but in particular it's because there are some great people there. The company isn't hesitant to hire people without perfect fit background and I have to say most of the people who work there have a great work ethic and a lot of passion. It's easy to make friends as well.

It's a company that seeks to be an innovator, and there's always some interesting projects floating around. The benefit of working for a smaller company is that you get to work closely with people of all levels and basically everyone knows everyone (or at least by name). There is a lot of interesting and important work to be done. It's honestly just an interesting industry with engaging work.

Cons

1- Career advancement
    At Simply Hired you can get comfortable quickly, and most employees are generally content - I find this to be a con because there's not much room for career advancement here. There isn't a clear career path for people looking to forge their careers early on, and promotions are rare here. Simply Hired doesn't have a formal review process and what's worse is that there's a lot of bureaucracy around raises and promotions.

2- Employee packages
    The company doesn't value its employees enough. If you are below director or senior manager level, the salaries aren't even at market rate - even for engineers! In my department in particular all of the junior staff had measly salaries. If you value your employees, you would pay them what they are worth.

3- Politicking
    The worst part of Simply Hired is the apparent favoritism from executives. If you can become buddies with the executive staff, and play the politics game then by all means disregard this review. Not many executives realize who are truly the people who pull their own weight and more. This is across the board - across various teams and levels. Over time, I became disappointed with some of the people on the leadership team, and questioned the quality and integrity of those people.

4- Lack of respect
    For an established business that's over 10 years old, there are a lot of unprofessional things that go on. A number of the executives have poor interpersonal skills. There have been reports yelling and other uncalled for behaviors. I (and several other team members) have been snapped at by our own executive which made me doubt that person's ability to lead a team. This is only one of the facets where Simply Hired fails to respect its employees.

Advice to Management

E-staff stop picking favorites - employees are aware of the favoritism. It hurts morale and makes employees lose trust in the company as a whole.

Sales Executive

I worked at Simply Hired

Pros

opportunity with smaller company that is growing, to be on the ground floor of something exciting was a plus. Compensation plan was very lucrative, quarterly bonus structure was good. Working from home for all of sales was a nice perk.

Cons

Communication from leadership/managers was not consistent and there were a lot of internal chaos that was very difficult to focus on generating revenue. Quota's and goals were not given for weeks/months into role, challenging to know how you were being measured. Culture of company and internal departments was strange and counterproductive. Employees were not valued and even treated badly.

Advice to Management

Recognizing the issues internally that come from the top should be addressed and worked out in order to make it a good place to be. I think that your people are the most important aspect of your company and should be treated as such. Leadership should know how to talk to other managers and employees, not talk down or berate them, especially in group meetings.

Not so great for engineers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couple of smart people in engineering fun to work with.

Good if you are new to SV.

Cons

Engineering management is way behind today's reality. Off-site engineering team and other associate engineers are not able to keep up and you probably will be the one to be blamed for that. The company evidently is not able to attract as many good engineers as it needs.

The overall experience is okay but don't expect to get a raise or get promoted. It was a great time to work here but definitely there was not much room for growth.

The company's benefits are below the market average. I wouldn't recommend this company for a long term employment.

Advice to Management

Treat your senior engineers well.

Really sharp people, great opportunity, misguided leadership

I worked at Simply Hired full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, Great pay, They hire great people, they are committed to innovation, they have a great opportunity in the jobs space, great work-life balance, they understand family first

Cons

leadership does not understand the jobs space, communication is a challenge cross-department, unclear focus and constantly changing their focus on how to sell and service their product.

Advice to Management

Hire an industry leader to run sales, focus on products customers want to buy and focus on how they want to buy it.

RSS Feed </> Embed