Simply Hired

Updated February 27, 2015
2.7

Simply Hired President and CEO James Beriker
James Beriker

Really sharp people, great opportunity, misguided leadership

I worked at Simply Hired full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, Great pay, They hire great people, they are committed to innovation, they have a great opportunity in the jobs space, great work-life balance, they understand family first

Cons

leadership does not understand the jobs space, communication is a challenge cross-department, unclear focus and constantly changing their focus on how to sell and service their product.

Hire an industry leader to run sales, focus on products customers want to buy and focus on how they want to buy it.

Not so great for engineers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Couple of smart people in engineering fun to work with.

Good if you are new to SV.

Cons

Engineering management is way behind today's reality. Off-site engineering team and other associate engineers are not able to keep up and you probably will be the one to be blamed for that. The company evidently is not able to attract as many good engineers as it needs.

The overall experience is okay but don't expect to get a raise or get promoted. It was a great time to work here but definitely there was not much room for growth.

The company's benefits are below the market average. I wouldn't recommend this company for a long term employment.

Treat your senior engineers well.

Great Company with wonderful Individuals to work with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I want to start off by saying the claims by disgruntled ex-employees that feel the need to continue loitering on Simply Hired's Glassdoor page suggesting that all the positive reviews are fake are SIMPLY NOT TRUE. NEWS FLASH-Not everyone is bitter and there are people that love working here such as myself.

I have been working at Simply Hired for about 2 years and have learned a lot from my peers. Simply Hired gave me career growth and the people that I’ve worked with here are wonderful including my manager who has been very supportive and given me a platform to grow in my role. I think what’s great is that a majority of people including executive staff are easy to communicate with and everyone for the most part knows your name. If you work in a big company, you feel somewhat lost in a big crowd but being in a smaller company like Simply Hired, you get a platform of recognition and visibility. When I interviewed onsite, I got the opportunity to meet with the CEO and I was very humbled by the fact that he takes time out of his schedule to meet with all top candidates. In addition, I love the work that I have been doing here along with the people from all levels that I’ve had chances to work with. I’m truly grateful for the opportunity I have been given.

Other Pros I like are the catered lunches Monday through Friday, Food Truck Fridays during the summer, A fully stocked kitchen with some tasty snacks , good benefits, Paid Time off, Ping Pong Table, Great Company Events-we’ve had happy hours, Chilli Cook Off, Pi Day, A Halloween Costume Department Competition, A dessert bake off, Alma-Mater day, along with Hack Days to name a few.

Cons

Communication between departments was a big issue but it has now being addressed and solutions are being implemented. I think the company can also benefit from doing more team building events.

Continue to focus on improving our product in the marketplace. Adding more innovative features and differentiating ourselves in a competitive market is key! Also, keep building the company culture!

One Fantastic & Talented Team

I have been working at Simply Hired

Pros

Simply Hired possesses some of the best, most talented individuals in the Bay Area. This is a place where you can not only collaborate with different departments with ease, but you will find yourself learning a lot about the different projects each team is working on through Company Updates and CEO-led meeting sessions. Not only is the team talented, you will be surprised by how kind these individuals are. For example, if someone hears that you have a long commute during a passing conversation in the hallway, they will ask you to carpool - even if it is miles and miles out of their way to pick you up. While the employees' kindness may not be the driving force behind your joining the company, it is certainly one thing that you will notice the moment you come in to interview.

The Executive staff is similarly approachable and each possess a wealth of information and are willing to share their insights and knowledge if you just stop by or send a note.

Fun perks one can find at Simply Hired includes hack days, monthly happy hours, daily catered lunches & a fully-stocked kitchen for snackers - like me.

Cons

Communication seems to be a theme in past posts, but Simply Hired has really stepped up efforts on company-wide communication over the last few months.

Fantastic internship opportunity!

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work involved as an intern really made me feel like a team member and, more importantly, taught me a lot about the professional software process. As I was involved in every stage of a product's development (from inception to release), I can say that I walked away with a lot more than new programming skills. The people there were the best part and I always felt comfortable asking for help or advice.

Cons

I occasionally felt that departments and teams were out of sync.

Don't change anything about the internship program, other than perhaps growing it in size.

We are growing, and open collaboration is key to our success.

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thank goodness the people who wrote the negative reviews are gone, because they were apparently keeping us stuck. Much progress has been made in the past three months. Any company must make tough decisions to find the best way forward in a competitive marketplace. Business decisions aren't personal, and though it can be painful, how people choose to respond to change is up to them.

Nothing about this company's recent challenges and developments is particularly surprising if you think about the tremendously ambitious changes being undertaken here. This is a cutting-edge company with an honorable mission that runs like a start-up, only with the infrastructure of a more mature company. This grown-up-start-up dynamic could tend to make people who prefer early-stage start-ups feel suffocated, or make people who need the established processes and political structure of a mature company feel overwhelmed and poorly-directed.

People who work here can gain contribute to something great for job-seekers, plus gain experience in three hugely important areas for future employment: Recruiting/Human Capital, Internet Advertising/PPC Marketplace, and Search Engine technology.

Cons

Because there were so many changes during the past year, internal communication suffered quite a bit, resulting in frustration across teams and misalignment of goals. This is normal and great progress is being made. Loss of team members makes people gun-shy that they are next on the chopping block.

My advice is to make sure that you're adding value to the company AND yourself by working here.

Continue to solicit and be open to acting on the input of the entire team. Continue communicating frequently and repeating a consistent message. Empower your A-players and support them. Continue putting the interests and experience of job-seekers first.

Disclaimer for the conspiracy theorists: I am not a senior leader, but I like to think that I could be someday. The ability to think objectively about business decisions, even when they may be painful to me personally, is step one on that path.

it was a good company until political battles and lack of innovation killed it

Former Employee - National Sales Executive in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - National Sales Executive in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company was a great job board and search engine, but the lack of leadership, the revolving door on talent, the lack of innovation and the lack of passion, killed it. Its makes me sad to see my friends there with one foot inside and another one looking for jobs.

Salaries are very high specially in sales - only way to retain talent

Cons

lack of innovation, continuous fight between leaders particularly new C level members that just fight among themselves while CEO, who is a very nice guy and great person, but has a total lack of product vision or passion for the industry, is focused on trying to pursue an exit while there is still some value.

Sell it - quick!

Great for Sales

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The product delivers, important if you are in sales. Great compensation, if you are producing they leave you alone to produce, no micro management. Strong marketplace brand reputation.

Cons

Turnover seems unusually high and the recent reorganization did not help.

Invest in your employees and take the time to help them to achieve success.

Smart people, positive environment, great benefits

I have been working at Simply Hired

Pros

decent pay
    free lunch everyday
    fully stocked kitchen
    start up environment
    smart people

Cons

not much that i can think of... seems like there are cliques

Simply Hired is a great place to work in a great industry.

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the other reviews point to growing pains and a transitional period in the company as a negative. We aren't going through changes for change's sake. There are clearly defined goals that we are working towards. The historical path the company was heading down was not going to take Simply Hired to the next level. Because we have pivoted away from the legacy strategy, Simply Hired presents some really unique experiences that you won't get at your average start up.

Some specific Pros:

- Investing in the technology: We have a great engineering staff that is continually working to maintain and upgrade our systems.

- Transparency: Most companies tend to only share what makes the company great with their employees. Simply Hired is very transparent on all of our hurdles which helps us address them as quickly as possible. Sometimes we may have a misstep in solving an issue and the company is transparent on those missteps as well. It helps us know exactly where we are, where we want to be and what still stands in the way of moving forward.

- Accountability: Everyone knows our high level company goals and everyone knows how their individual roles and associated goals roll up to help hit the company goals. One of the earlier reviews had taken issue with our CFO, which I cannot understand. Our CFO is passionate and believes in our business. She has added a stronger level of accountability to us as individuals and as a company, which helps us accelerate towards hitting our goals. Doesn't sounds like a bad thing to me..

- Collaborative Environment: Everyone is ready to lend a helping hand here. Opportunities rarely fit neatly into one group's bucket and when that happens our coworkers all step up to address the opportunity. I've been at larger corporations where people turn away things because its not in their job description. At Simply Hired, we all take on a "you touch it, you own it" approach.

Cons

The only real con here is that we have a bunch of legacy ideas, systems and hurdles that slow down our growth. The site has been running since 2005. Many parts of the business were dormant or not updated for many years. We've tackled a bunch of our legacy issues and still have some to overcome, but we are getting past them and continually bettering our position in the marketplace.

We are headed in the right direction. Keep challenging the team and keep everyone accountable for great results.