Simply Hired

Updated August 19, 2014

2.3

Simply Hired President and CEO James Beriker
James Beriker

Love the environment and a great place to be in Inside Sales

Current Employee - Account Executive In Inside Sales  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive In Inside Sales in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Pros about company:
    - Transparency - Our bi-monthly All Hands meetings allows us to stay up-to-date on what's happening and the direction we're going
    - Open communication - We can anonymously ask James and the E-Staff team questions weekly
    - Fun events - Our new Senior HR Director and team put on fun events that gives people the opportunity to get to know others outside their team. Some events we've done Margarita Thursdays, company wide Hack Day, Pi Day...
    - Free daily lunch, snacks, & drinks
    - Everyone gets a MacBook Air and two monitors to use (which is pretty cool)

Pros about Inside Sales:
    - New director who has a great leadership style and is driven, and it's been a good change
    - The team is growing which is exciting
    - It's a supportive environment whereas a lot of inside sales teams at other companies sound like they are very cutthroat and dog-eat-dog
    - Competitive base pay plus uncapped commission

Cons

Cons about company:
    - It seems like it's been a bit slow in finding the right direction (especially with the inside and outside sales teams) but I think they are on the right track now

Cons about Inside Sales:
    - How we're measured to earn part of our commission has changed a lot in the past few months and definitions were ambiguous - thankfully our new director has nailed it down
    - The job itself can be repetitive, so it's important to constantly learn and continue to grow (it takes more effort but it keeps the job interesting)

- Continue to focus on improving the product and creating a unique job seeker experience
    - Really put effort and resources in building the brand not just with the employer but with the job seeker. We need to continue to push our name out there with the job seeker and right now the marketing strategy isn't doing it.

A good company experiencing some growing pains

Former Employee - Direct Sales
    Former Employee - Direct Sales

Pros

Compensation, company culture, transparency, people

I enjoyed the people and the overall vibe. It was exciting to be a part of something that was growing and transitioning so quickly. I also appreciated the passion and transparency of CEO James Beriker. I believe this company is headed in the right direction and could do very well if they stay on top of their technology.

Cons

Okay, I've read some of the scathing reviews here, so want to put this in perspective. First off, YES this company is absolutely in transition, but it's not a bad thing. In fact I see it as essential to take this company to the next level. The unfortunate part is that several people were laid off (including myself) in the process, so of course the feedback is not going to be all rosy. That said, I happen to agree with the direction of the company and the necessity for a direct sales force to ensure long-term success. I guess the con here would be the company overestimated sales forecasts and hired a direct sales force based on those numbers... a huge investment. When results did not meet expectations for Q2, myself and several others were "impacted". I will say that the numbers we did pull in were solid and quite respectable given the newness of the sales force, the increasingly competitive environment and the SEO hiccups that impacted SH performance. IMHO to reduce the direct sales force after such a short time was a mistake.

Stay the course. The decision was made to go direct (which I agree with for stability/success in the long term) but give it a chance! They have/had really great people at SH, so invest in and empower them!

Also make sure technology is priority #1.
    The product has to be BETTER than the competition, especially since the brand awareness is not yet there. In my time there, we experienced some SEO issues that really impacted our performance (may have since been resolved). Without performance results, it's an impossible sell even for the most seasoned sales rep. SH must be able to deliver more unique traffic, utilize ALL spend and provide more qualified applicants to compete especially with all the competition now entering the aggregator space.

Smart people, positive environment, great benefits

Pros

decent pay
    free lunch everyday
    fully stocked kitchen
    start up environment
    smart people

Cons

not much that i can think of... seems like there are cliques

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Simply Hired is a great place to work in a great industry.

Pros

Many of the other reviews point to growing pains and a transitional period in the company as a negative. We aren't going through changes for change's sake. There are clearly defined goals that we are working towards. The historical path the company was heading down was not going to take Simply Hired to the next level. Because we have pivoted away from the legacy strategy, Simply Hired presents some really unique experiences that you won't get at your average start up.

Some specific Pros:

- Investing in the technology: We have a great engineering staff that is continually working to maintain and upgrade our systems.

- Transparency: Most companies tend to only share what makes the company great with their employees. Simply Hired is very transparent on all of our hurdles which helps us address them as quickly as possible. Sometimes we may have a misstep in solving an issue and the company is transparent on those missteps as well. It helps us know exactly where we are, where we want to be and what still stands in the way of moving forward.

- Accountability: Everyone knows our high level company goals and everyone knows how their individual roles and associated goals roll up to help hit the company goals. One of the earlier reviews had taken issue with our CFO, which I cannot understand. Our CFO is passionate and believes in our business. She has added a stronger level of accountability to us as individuals and as a company, which helps us accelerate towards hitting our goals. Doesn't sounds like a bad thing to me..

- Collaborative Environment: Everyone is ready to lend a helping hand here. Opportunities rarely fit neatly into one group's bucket and when that happens our coworkers all step up to address the opportunity. I've been at larger corporations where people turn away things because its not in their job description. At Simply Hired, we all take on a "you touch it, you own it" approach.

Cons

The only real con here is that we have a bunch of legacy ideas, systems and hurdles that slow down our growth. The site has been running since 2005. Many parts of the business were dormant or not updated for many years. We've tackled a bunch of our legacy issues and still have some to overcome, but we are getting past them and continually bettering our position in the marketplace.

We are headed in the right direction. Keep challenging the team and keep everyone accountable for great results.

I'm guessing the CEO just wrote the last review

Pros

To be fair I'm treated nicely and the environment is nice in that it's a casual relaxed place.

Cons

I've read the many reviews here and have to say that despite the harsh words they really are true. Clearly the CEO or someone asked by him wrote the last glowing review.
    Just ask around, key people have been leaving this place in droves, there's a line to get out the door as fast as possible. I'm hard pressed to believe that long term this company will exist as it does today. Clients are canceling at a high rate, budgets can't be fulfilled and we just aren't a relevant player in the recruitment space.
    No advertising to speak of, Zip Recruiter is all over the radio and killing us, and we aren't even an afterthought in the eyes of LinkedIn, Indeed or Careerbuilder and Monster.
    The feel good all hands are funny, to the point of pathetic, I wish I could post them on YouTube. New employees hate them and hate being embarrassed and nothing ever changes, ever. I'm looking for a new gig as is most of my department or anyone with a brain, clearly I'd love to have what Senior leadership is smoking cause no way is this place sustainable.
    Also we need a company policy against long winded self serving emails that people send out when they quit. You'd think they were headed off to war and never coming back, for god sakes get over yourself. You weren't that valuable and no one cares you left so please spare us the drama of how we all made a mark on your life and we'll be besties forever until the end of time.

Please just look at the facts and be real, business is awful, nothing is selling and nothing ever changes. Figure out why and stop the stupid pathetic all hands calls they're a waste of everyone's time.

Company is in panic mode-- some of these reviews are fake

Pros

Fun people. Free food. That's it.

Cons

I noticed yet another sanitized review of the company posted on 8/17/14 and felt it important to disclose the truth. There are glowing reviews about the technology, transparency, accountability and collaborative environment at this company. Please consider these counterpoints to the pros that have been communicated.

Investing in the technology: It is true that members of the engineering team are great. It's just that it's a quickly dwindling group. It's like a revolving door of contractors. Why are all the engineers leaving? Why won't they stay? Why are so many of them leaving "to take time off"?

Transparency: The company is very transparent about the decisions it is making and the results of those efforts. This is true. Transparency, however, is not the same as openness. Transparency is asking employees to sit in the passengers seat while leadership shares its plans to drive this car off the cliff. Openness is listening when employees hint at the possibility that they may drive this car off the cliff and changing the plans before that happens. Openness does not exist at the company. In fact, some of the people who have had the strongest opinions about different ways to run the business and have been vocal about their opinions have been fired. Period. What remains is a culture of sycophancy where you have to support the ideas of senior leadership or you're out. And then when leadership pushes ahead with those plans and they go badly, more innocent people are let go.

Some of the highest performing employees have been let go without an explanation about being abruptly asked to leave. If you have new leadership coming in and that forces some people out, you should say that. You should say that because that is the fair and transparent thing to do, especially to the employees who work so hard. Telling some of your best employees that they have to leave by the end of the week without any further explanation is NOT being transparent. It is actually very OPAQUE. Can you imagine what these ex-employees go through when they have to go to job interviews and say, "I don't know why I was let go from my last position?" It's not fair to cut people loose without the courtesy of an explanation.

After layoffs, the company held an all employee meeting the week after. They launched right into "we are going to rise from this" without once taking questions or feedback about the layoffs. The employees (the "survivors") are in shock. They have witnessed multiple colleagues being thrown in the garbage and not once has leadership had an honest conversation and let people admit that they are scared. They are anxious. Nobody feels comfortable. This is not being transparent. This is being in denial.

The company could also insert transparency into employee expectations. The fact that an HR leader was seen by many walking around the office with a camera taking pictures of people who are not working is not really being transparent. Tell people to do good work and give them honest feedback when they don't. Then give them the chance to make you proud. Don't go on creepy reconnaissance missions to "catch people in the act." That's not being transparent. That is being shady.

Accountability: The 8/17/14 review was an ode to the CFO who is creating structure and enforcing accountability for the company. This may be true. However, I ran into an ex-coworker once and without prompting it or asking any specific questions, he said to me that the CFO "will be the downfall of that company and needs to learn how to treat people like human beings and not like garbage." Accountability at the expense of kindness seems like an unfair tradeoff. At least 5 members of the CFO's team has left in the past 6 months. Why such high turnover?

Collaborative environment: This one is pretty true. The people at Simply Hired are great.

Nobody is going to fault the company for being in transition. I agree with previous reviews that the company made the right choices about changes that needed to be made. But they are not treating employees fairly. They are mistreating them pretty badly. People are not leaving the company and posting bad reviews because they feel mad about updating legacy technology. That is a ridiculous, ignorant opinion. They are mad because they are being ABUSED.

There is a joke that the happiest day for a boat owner is the day they buy the boat. The 2nd happiest day for the boat owner? They day they sell it. The same is true for this company (which is funny since so many reviews are calling this company a sinking ship). You are so happy when you join. The company presents with such great opportunity and everybody is nice. The 2nd happiest day in your career at Simply Hired? The day you leave.

You really need to look at yourselves and learn to treat your workforce better. The attrition, the bad reviews, the pin-drop silent work environment that another reviewer mentioned-- these are all evidence that something is going very badly. Be honest. Listen to your employees. Treat people better. Address all the negative feedback instead of writing fake reviews on Glassdoor. You can still change and make things better. It just doesn't seem like you want to.

Quite SIMPLY one of the worst companies I've ever worked for

Pros

Free drinks and snacks, free lunch, easy to take time off

Cons

I don't even know where to start...

Upper management is completely blind to the dissatisfaction of their employees. Instead of addressing the issues head on, they dismiss the red flags and warning signs and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. Top talent is leaving by the droves and they don't see anything wrong with it.

Complete lack of innovation within the company. In the past 7 months, the company has been running a glorified "academic brainstorming session" and the only thing that came out of it was hours of wasted time. While we're sitting on our laurels, our competitors are leaving us in the dust. We need to start doing things, and not just pump out a forest's worth of sticky notes.

Culture? What culture? The CEO keeps pushing for the culture piece just so he can claim that he's got a world class "startup." Yet there's no employee appreciation, no company events, and it's pin drop silent when you walk into the office. It's like people are scared to talk above a whisper.

Upper management keeps on making the same mistakes month after month. Resources, time, and company effort keep getting poured into the wrong initiatives which turn into a rapid fire hiring of employees, which always ends up bloating one department up disproportionately. And of course, months later, when it turns into an "Oops" people get canned. Awesome.

This is advice to the board: get new upper management

No focus/No Innovation/No Way

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Incentive program, Healthcare Benefits, and not much else

Cons

Incentive program after it was revised, misguided and misinformed management and so many countless others.

The company hired a new CEO when I was hired to move the needle, which makes sense. The only problem is that the needle moved downward the time that I was there (and continues to do so) The product doesn't work. Traffic is decreasing. Clients are dropping their spend. Their biggest competitors, which include Indeed, Glassdoor and now Linkedin are star players in the aggregator space, leaving SH in the dust. It's a shame because the founders of Simply Hired were great and had the idea first. I'm sure they are not happy with the direction the company is heading. Probably time to cut losses and move on to something else.

Find new C-level folks, and get rid of mid-level management in Sales.

This is advice to the investors really.

Where are the lifeboats on this disaster of a company?

Pros

1. Apple laptop
    2. Nice base pay
    3. Expenses paid timely
    4. Decent benefits

Cons

1. The product is awful, it SIMPLY doesn't work
    2. Senior leadership including Sales, Marketing, Accounting are all doing nothing to try and make Simply Hired a decent company to sell for
    3. Accounts / Deals are given to reps by management on a favoritism basis. Most reps get nothing when other reps leave and one in particular got about everything, including a large deal that put him in the MILLION sales club
    4. The micro-managing is just beginning because panic has set in. Senior leaders have ZERO idea why the product isn't selling, all they do is recycle the same old stuff week in and week out.

I'd fire all top leaders because they're doing nothing to fix the problem which is Simply Hired is not known to anyone in the HR Recruiting community. How the board puts up with these people is amazing, maybe senior leaders should be made to role play to the board and justify their jobs instead of the 4th grade nonsense of having the reps summoned to HQ and made to role play with the CEO. That's a joke and juvenile tactics, why not take the time to really dig and figure out what's wrong, maybe the product and complete lack of marketing has something to do with it? You have one product to sell and you can't even do that right, Simply Hired will be gone by early 2015 or at a minimum be a shell of what it is today.
    Come on board, I hope you read this and start to do some basic homework on who you've empowered to run your company. The place is depressing, key people have been leaving in droves and HQ is like zombie land, everyone is beat up and on the verge of giving up.

What a waste of a great opportunity

Pros

- Positive employees (NOT management)
    - Free lunches and snacks

Cons

- Great ideas are shut down because upper management is so focused on the bottom line (Sales).
    - Marketing is basically sales part 2. No creativity here. YAWN.
    - Ignores the core product and continues to just sell it. No one in the company is even proud of it. (really!)
    - Upper management is terrible. I've never seen a company with such turn-over and a complete disregard for their employees. It's ironic considering that it's a JOB SITE!! We can't even hold down the jobs of our own employees!
    - CFO is terrible. I felt energy levels dwindle, as soon as she arrived. She's definitely turned this place into her own. Makes me sad to see the CEO do nothing about this or even address this
    - No employee feedback? Management didn't even acknowledge the fact that there wouldn't be compensation benefits or reviews. Employees were just left with no explanation as to how they were performing or what was to happen next.

Get rid of most of the management team ASAP. CEO has a real passion and desire to help people but puts complete trust in terrible leaders of the team. He isn't completely innocent either though, since I still don't really know what he's contributing to the company.

What's troubling is that Simply Hired has been above the competition for years..and it's just a sinking ship that's...also on fire.

It's not too late for this company to turn around but getting rid of upper execs is a MUST for this to happen. They speak about 'urgency' but the last time I checked, most of the upper management is out the door by 5:30-6pm themselves. It's one thing to urge your employees to care more but it must be demonstrated.

Worked for Simply Hired? Contribute to the Community!