Simply Hired

3.7

Simply Hired President and CEO James Beriker
James Beriker

12 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Company with wonderful Individuals to work with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I want to start off by saying the claims by disgruntled ex-employees that feel the need to continue loitering on Simply Hired's Glassdoor page suggesting that all the positive reviews are fake are SIMPLY NOT TRUE. NEWS FLASH-Not everyone is bitter and there are people that love working here such as myself.

I have been working at Simply Hired for about 2 years and have learned a lot from my peers. Simply Hired gave me career growth and the people that I’ve worked with here are wonderful including my manager who has been very supportive and given me a platform to grow in my role. I think what’s great is that a majority of people including executive staff are easy to communicate with and everyone for the most part knows your name. If you work in a big company, you feel somewhat lost in a big crowd but being in a smaller company like Simply Hired, you get a platform of recognition and visibility. When I interviewed onsite, I got the opportunity to meet with the CEO and I was very humbled by the fact that he takes time out of his schedule to meet with all top candidates. In addition, I love the work that I have been doing here along with the people from all levels that I’ve had chances to work with. I’m truly grateful for the opportunity I have been given.

Other Pros I like are the catered lunches Monday through Friday, Food Truck Fridays during the summer, A fully stocked kitchen with some tasty snacks , good benefits, Paid Time off, Ping Pong Table, Great Company Events-we’ve had happy hours, Chilli Cook Off, Pi Day, A Halloween Costume Department Competition, A dessert bake off, Alma-Mater day, along with Hack Days to name a few.

Cons

Communication between departments was a big issue but it has now being addressed and solutions are being implemented. I think the company can also benefit from doing more team building events.

Continue to focus on improving our product in the marketplace. Adding more innovative features and differentiating ourselves in a competitive market is key! Also, keep building the company culture!

Not so great for engineers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Couple of smart people in engineering fun to work with.

Good if you are new to SV.

Cons

Engineering management is way behind today's reality. Off-site engineering team and other associate engineers are not able to keep up and you probably will be the one to be blamed for that. The company evidently is not able to attract as many good engineers as it needs.

The overall experience is okay but don't expect to get a raise or get promoted. It was a great time to work here but definitely there was not much room for growth.

The company's benefits are below the market average. I wouldn't recommend this company for a long term employment.

Treat your senior engineers well.

Fantastic internship opportunity!

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work involved as an intern really made me feel like a team member and, more importantly, taught me a lot about the professional software process. As I was involved in every stage of a product's development (from inception to release), I can say that I walked away with a lot more than new programming skills. The people there were the best part and I always felt comfortable asking for help or advice.

Cons

I occasionally felt that departments and teams were out of sync.

Don't change anything about the internship program, other than perhaps growing it in size.

it was a good company until political battles and lack of innovation killed it

Former Employee - National Sales Executive in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - National Sales Executive in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company was a great job board and search engine, but the lack of leadership, the revolving door on talent, the lack of innovation and the lack of passion, killed it. Its makes me sad to see my friends there with one foot inside and another one looking for jobs.

Salaries are very high specially in sales - only way to retain talent

Cons

lack of innovation, continuous fight between leaders particularly new C level members that just fight among themselves while CEO, who is a very nice guy and great person, but has a total lack of product vision or passion for the industry, is focused on trying to pursue an exit while there is still some value.

Sell it - quick!

Love the environment and a great place to be in Inside Sales

Current Employee - Account Executive In Inside Sales in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive In Inside Sales in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pros about company:
    - Transparency - Our bi-monthly All Hands meetings allows us to stay up-to-date on what's happening and the direction we're going
    - Open communication - We can anonymously ask James and the E-Staff team questions weekly
    - Fun events - Our new Senior HR Director and team put on fun events that gives people the opportunity to get to know others outside their team. Some events we've done Margarita Thursdays, company wide Hack Day, Pi Day...
    - Free daily lunch, snacks, & drinks
    - Everyone gets a MacBook Air and two monitors to use (which is pretty cool)

Pros about Inside Sales:
    - New director who has a great leadership style and is driven, and it's been a good change
    - The team is growing which is exciting
    - It's a supportive environment whereas a lot of inside sales teams at other companies sound like they are very cutthroat and dog-eat-dog
    - Competitive base pay plus uncapped commission

Cons

Cons about company:
    - It seems like it's been a bit slow in finding the right direction (especially with the inside and outside sales teams) but I think they are on the right track now

Cons about Inside Sales:
    - How we're measured to earn part of our commission has changed a lot in the past few months and definitions were ambiguous - thankfully our new director has nailed it down
    - The job itself can be repetitive, so it's important to constantly learn and continue to grow (it takes more effort but it keeps the job interesting)

- Continue to focus on improving the product and creating a unique job seeker experience
    - Really put effort and resources in building the brand not just with the employer but with the job seeker. We need to continue to push our name out there with the job seeker and right now the marketing strategy isn't doing it.

Very Good Company

Current Intern - Data Science in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Intern - Data Science in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice managers. Good pay and you can also have a great surf in data science.

Cons

Nothing much to say about this. There are not good resturants near this location.

Proud to be a part of this team

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-As everyone says.. free lunch every day!
    -Collaborative environment with motivated employees
    -Managers who care about getting to know you as a whole person, not just a worker
    -Decisions are made quickly and the pace of work is FAST
    -Cross-functional work; you don't have to stay within your own purview
    -The energy in the office is contagious!

Cons

-Tends towards reactive work, and need to get better at proactively determining issues and prioritizing
    -Internal communication could be better, sometimes we're all working so hard that we don't work smart (this is improving and a work in progress)

Continue to keep the lines of communication open, so we all work towards the same goal. Keep up the great work!

A company ready to change and transform.

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Employees are energized and excited to get things done with a single focus in mind: to make Simply Hired the best it can be
    - Encouraging and collaborative environment
    - Superstar management team who is highly in touch with the rest of the company
    - Fantastic talent across all departments; some of these people are the most intelligent and savvy individuals I've come across

Cons

- Lots of work to do, but not enough resources to do it
    - The company is still going through some growing pains and adjusting to the influx of many new employees and a rapidly changing outlook

Make sure to continue to communicate to the company as a whole and be as transparent as possible!

Visionary CEO, Solid Executives, Talented Employees

Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined Simply Hired shortly after James Beriker, the new CEO, took the helm. I can't say much about what the company was like prior to James. However, I can say that now with James and lots of new execs and employees, this is an awesome place to work. Lots of growth, innovation, and all-around good vibes.

Management cares about employee feedback and satisfaction, and there's a palpable energy that pervades the office. The vision for success has been clearly communicated, and everyone is motivated to get there.

I love Simply Hired!

Cons

None. Again, this is an awesome place to work with lots of career and financial opportunities.

Keep up the good work!

A completely different company, than just a year ago.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere-
    No Cubicles, No offices, an open collaborative environment.

New Leadership-
    More than 1/2 the employees have not been with the company more than a few months. The new CEO is less than a year in, and the company is not only reaching for new goals, but attaining them.

Positive Energy and Momentum-
    HR has been re-stacking the talent deck with topic experts. Its a collection of MVP teams.

Free Lunch-
    Economists say there is no "free lunch", but SimplyHired challenges that Maxim, and collaboration from random outdoor picnic table meetings is priceless.

MacBook Air's for all- No lugging that 10lb behemoth of a laptop around. Get hip! (of course you can have a PC if you wish.)

Flexible Work Schedule-
    Yahoo's done away with the WFH policy, Simply Hired values a balanced lifestyle.

Competitive Pay-
    The website has a salary calculator, so it would be a bit hypocritical if they were not offering competitive salaries. Luckily they are offering competitive salaries.

Cons

Excellence is expected-
    With teams of MVP players, there is little room for mediocrity. Which is a PRO if you are an MVP, or a con if you are not.

Free lunch- comes with impromptu lunch meetings, if you want. Great for impromptu collaboration but you will be tired by the end of the day. It is really helpful to hash projects out, and have input from people who might not be directly related to a project.

The industry is competitive-
    Which requires the bar is set high.

Free Food/Snacks/Drinks-
    This is a huge "benefit" for some, but it can be bad for the "freshman 15lbs" you might gain, if you let yourself run wild in the kitchen.

Along with the new CEO, many new experienced VPs have morphed the team in the past year.

My advice to Management is to keep ALL the Pro's above. They are substantial considerations for your young and tech savvy employees. Being in touch with the future of job/life balance is more important than most companies know. Many talented people would happily take less salary, for flexibility and fringe benefits. If they are talented, they probably have other priorities than just money.

Luckily they have not tried to change these values which were set in the companies "startup" days...8 years ago.