Simply Hired Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic internship opportunity!

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The work involved as an intern really made me feel like a team member and, more importantly, taught me a lot about the professional software process. As I was involved in every stage of a product's development (from inception to release), I can say that I walked away with a lot more than new programming skills. The people there were the best part and I always felt comfortable asking for help or advice.

Cons

I occasionally felt that departments and teams were out of sync.

Don't change anything about the internship program, other than perhaps growing it in size.

Love the environment and a great place to be in Inside Sales

Current Employee - Account Executive In Inside Sales in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive In Inside Sales in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros about company:
    - Transparency - Our bi-monthly All Hands meetings allows us to stay up-to-date on what's happening and the direction we're going
    - Open communication - We can anonymously ask James and the E-Staff team questions weekly
    - Fun events - Our new Senior HR Director and team put on fun events that gives people the opportunity to get to know others outside their team. Some events we've done Margarita Thursdays, company wide Hack Day, Pi Day...
    - Free daily lunch, snacks, & drinks
    - Everyone gets a MacBook Air and two monitors to use (which is pretty cool)

Pros about Inside Sales:
    - New director who has a great leadership style and is driven, and it's been a good change
    - The team is growing which is exciting
    - It's a supportive environment whereas a lot of inside sales teams at other companies sound like they are very cutthroat and dog-eat-dog
    - Competitive base pay plus uncapped commission

Cons

Cons about company:
    - It seems like it's been a bit slow in finding the right direction (especially with the inside and outside sales teams) but I think they are on the right track now

Cons about Inside Sales:
    - How we're measured to earn part of our commission has changed a lot in the past few months and definitions were ambiguous - thankfully our new director has nailed it down
    - The job itself can be repetitive, so it's important to constantly learn and continue to grow (it takes more effort but it keeps the job interesting)

- Continue to focus on improving the product and creating a unique job seeker experience
    - Really put effort and resources in building the brand not just with the employer but with the job seeker. We need to continue to push our name out there with the job seeker and right now the marketing strategy isn't doing it.

Very Good Company

Current Employee - Data Science in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Data Science in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice managers. Good pay and you can also have a great surf in data science.

Cons

Nothing much to say about this. There are not good resturants near this location.

Proud to be a part of this team

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-As everyone says.. free lunch every day!
    -Collaborative environment with motivated employees
    -Managers who care about getting to know you as a whole person, not just a worker
    -Decisions are made quickly and the pace of work is FAST
    -Cross-functional work; you don't have to stay within your own purview
    -The energy in the office is contagious!

Cons

-Tends towards reactive work, and need to get better at proactively determining issues and prioritizing
    -Internal communication could be better, sometimes we're all working so hard that we don't work smart (this is improving and a work in progress)

Continue to keep the lines of communication open, so we all work towards the same goal. Keep up the great work!

Visionary CEO, Solid Executives, Talented Employees

Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Simply Hired shortly after James Beriker, the new CEO, took the helm. I can't say much about what the company was like prior to James. However, I can say that now with James and lots of new execs and employees, this is an awesome place to work. Lots of growth, innovation, and all-around good vibes.

Management cares about employee feedback and satisfaction, and there's a palpable energy that pervades the office. The vision for success has been clearly communicated, and everyone is motivated to get there.

I love Simply Hired!

Cons

None. Again, this is an awesome place to work with lots of career and financial opportunities.

Keep up the good work!

A company ready to change and transform.

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Employees are energized and excited to get things done with a single focus in mind: to make Simply Hired the best it can be
    - Encouraging and collaborative environment
    - Superstar management team who is highly in touch with the rest of the company
    - Fantastic talent across all departments; some of these people are the most intelligent and savvy individuals I've come across

Cons

- Lots of work to do, but not enough resources to do it
    - The company is still going through some growing pains and adjusting to the influx of many new employees and a rapidly changing outlook

Make sure to continue to communicate to the company as a whole and be as transparent as possible!

A completely different company, than just a year ago.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Atmosphere-
    No Cubicles, No offices, an open collaborative environment.

New Leadership-
    More than 1/2 the employees have not been with the company more than a few months. The new CEO is less than a year in, and the company is not only reaching for new goals, but attaining them.

Positive Energy and Momentum-
    HR has been re-stacking the talent deck with topic experts. Its a collection of MVP teams.

Free Lunch-
    Economists say there is no "free lunch", but SimplyHired challenges that Maxim, and collaboration from random outdoor picnic table meetings is priceless.

MacBook Air's for all- No lugging that 10lb behemoth of a laptop around. Get hip! (of course you can have a PC if you wish.)

Flexible Work Schedule-
    Yahoo's done away with the WFH policy, Simply Hired values a balanced lifestyle.

Competitive Pay-
    The website has a salary calculator, so it would be a bit hypocritical if they were not offering competitive salaries. Luckily they are offering competitive salaries.

Cons

Excellence is expected-
    With teams of MVP players, there is little room for mediocrity. Which is a PRO if you are an MVP, or a con if you are not.

Free lunch- comes with impromptu lunch meetings, if you want. Great for impromptu collaboration but you will be tired by the end of the day. It is really helpful to hash projects out, and have input from people who might not be directly related to a project.

The industry is competitive-
    Which requires the bar is set high.

Free Food/Snacks/Drinks-
    This is a huge "benefit" for some, but it can be bad for the "freshman 15lbs" you might gain, if you let yourself run wild in the kitchen.

Along with the new CEO, many new experienced VPs have morphed the team in the past year.

My advice to Management is to keep ALL the Pro's above. They are substantial considerations for your young and tech savvy employees. Being in touch with the future of job/life balance is more important than most companies know. Many talented people would happily take less salary, for flexibility and fringe benefits. If they are talented, they probably have other priorities than just money.

Luckily they have not tried to change these values which were set in the companies "startup" days...8 years ago.

Diamond in the Rough

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- CEO is consummate strategist and a genuinely nice person who is passionate about success
    - Industry renowned product experts on board
    - collaborative work environment
    - hot space - pay per performance is just starting to impact recruiting, and Simply Hired is there to help

Cons

- Marketing team is awesome, but leadership is new. Lots of opportunity, but waiting is sometimes hard
    - Like every company, engineeers!! While the ones we have are awesome, there are just never enough.

Worse company ever

Current Employee - Sales in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired

Pros

People are smart
    Open work environment

Cons

Pay is very less compared to market
    Looks like they are trying to see off the company because they reduced the Sales team workforce

Be clear on what you are doing with the company.