Simply Measured Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.6
Adam Schoenfeld

Challenging in the best way

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Simply Measured full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simply Measured is a great, growing company filled with the smartest, most passionate people I've ever met. It's in a constantly changing and growing industry that makes the work challenging and exciting. Everyone at Simply Measured has the opportunity to do their best work every day, try new things, challenge themselves, and challenge each other. The entire company - from the CEO throughout the organization - is committed to living by our values, which is crucial for a company of any stage, but especially one that's growing as fast as Simply Measured is.

Cons

Growth stage companies constantly face new challenges. Simply Measured is no exception. While there are opportunities to work on exciting problems, and own new aspects of the business, there's also a lot of vagueness around roles and responsibilities as the company transitions from a small start up to a more established company.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on values as the core of the way Simply Measured operates. The people are what make the company special, and the values are what has attracted such a smart, passionate, exciting group.

Amazing company, amazing people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Simply Measured full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place is full of talented people who are passionate about their work. There are opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects all of which drive continuous learning.

Cons

Management is ready to adopt new strategies, which means that reorgs happen with a fair frequency (not layoffs, just new job titles or divisions). You have to stay on your toes and deal well with ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Young company, amazing tech, but still in an echo chamber...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Simply Measured full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture was my favorite thing about joining Simply Measured. It's slow decline was also the reason why I eventually left. Still, when I left, it was better than anywhere previously... but I longed for it's former glory. I didn't work with the sales team much, so not much opinion on that team... The rest, however, were good people. Everyone believes in the company and is focused on #winning. The people were still about loving work, but the #corporate had taken over top-down #fun-and-play by the time I left. The Product is still strong, even if it hasn't changed much in the past year. I expect that the new leadership in P&E will get things back on track and push out the work that has been in progress. Excited to see what comes next!

Cons

Lots of transition. Lots of change. The 'strategy' seems to change monthly. Good people with good intentions doesn't mean that they're good communicators or managers. The problem with having so many passionate people is that some of them will feel jaded when their ideas are challenged, or not followed through on. These jaded people create politics, which makes getting work done much more difficult.

Advice to Management

Hire seasoned management, go back to being the amazing play-makers that you were. Find people-managers who are more passionate about their employees than the company itself. Value your employees more... they're the ones who have kept the #values alive, pushing them up from the bottom, when they fail to come from the top. Adam: we had an exit interview... you know my thoughts, we'll see if they are followed through on.

Great company, getting even better

I have been working at Simply Measured full-time

Pros

- Smart, passionate coworkers - Great, caring founders - Strong culture and values, lots of transparency into the business - Lots of interesting problems to work on in a hot space - Great office and incredible view - Ping pong, putt-putt, kegerator, nerf guns, macallen - Snacks. So. Many. Snacks.

Cons

- Growing is hard, new people, new roles, lots of change, it's hard to keep up - More people means decisions take longer and need more process - Direct culture can be too direct sometimes - Few bad seeds (now gone) held the company back

Advice to Management

- Never stop being transparent - Take more risks - Get rid of bad seeds sooner - More ways to get to know new people

Best place I'll ever work

I have been working at Simply Measured full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- First and foremost, amazing people who care about you beyond the confines of the office - An incredible office - Snacks, snacks, snacks - Learning and growth budget - Flexible time off - Work hard play hard attitude - Just really fun place to work.

Cons

- Typical aches and pains of startups

Advice to Management

Keep the culture.

This place is special

Current Employee - WA - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - WA - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Simply Measured full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the minute you step in through the glass doors of this beautiful, waterfront office you can tell that this company is special. The energy, the people, the passion and the excitement around you is electrifying. This is the type of company that you get to read about in a book or watch a movie about. Every day here feels like history in the making. And it's not just the easy, fun stuff (and there's a lot of it), it's also the challenges, the struggles, the hard times. No growth company, one that is trying to be big (and I'm talking about really big), has an error-free, smooth growth. Because if it was easy, everyone would do it. But what makes Simply Measured unique, is that we accept the challenge, we acknowledge it and we face it head on. What makes Simply Measured unique? 1. People and culture. Very few companies are able to build a culture like the one at Simply Measured. It's also hard to maintain it as the company grows and adds new people. But we are able to maintain a culture around passion, fun, dedication and the sense of family. 2. Values. Almost every company has "company values" but most of them print them on a piece of paper and never look at them again. At Simply Measured values are core to what we do. How we hire people, how we talk to each other, how we set goals and create plans, and how we treat success and failures. 3. Opportunities. If you are looking for a company that will invest in making you grow and advance your career, regardless of what you do or wether or not you decide to stay, Simply Measured is the place for you. The focus on growth, for the company and for the people in it, creates opportunities for everyone to grow, learn and develop. 4. The product, market and customers. We're at the cutting edge of technology and innovation in a market that has changed the way people interact and communicate. We get to work with the world's biggest and best social teams, and help companies make their social media better. Customers love our product, and we love our customers. It sounds simple, but it's powerful and meaningful, and it makes our day-to-day even more awesome. 5. The workplace. Beautiful office, open space, kitchen full of snacks (see also under cons). drinks and unlimited supply of caffeine, fully equipped work stations, rest areas, game room, putting green, Tuesday lunches, Friday toasts, and the occasional company events. We spend here most of our week, and it feels like home.

Cons

Snacks. We need to stop with the snacks.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on culture and values, and hire more awesome people.

Watch out...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Simply Measured full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Adam the CEO is a great guy. Not sure if he knows what is going on with his company on the lower levels. The product is good.

Cons

Managers like to take responsibility for your success and let you take responsibility for your fails. Not supportive at all and really make it hard for you to do more and grow. The office might be a cool office, but they have a look but don't touch mentality. If you get caught playing then you can get in trouble. For instance, I was ahead of my goal for the month and was playing ping pong during my lunch break. I was pulled aside and told that this is not acceptable and need to be working since its the end of the month. Was told that I was not a team player and they would remember that. Everyone had instances like this, which is really really sad. (We don't get paid lunches.) They have "unlimited vacation" but if you take more than a week or two, expect to be talked to about it. The environment is based around favoritism. They hire their friends, promote their friends. If you are not their friend then you won't go anywhere. New managers come on, hire their friends and start to fire the employees that were there before. Then they hire more of their friends. That was seen on multiple levels and is really scary to those who have been there awhile. Another annoying thing. I would be ahead on my goal for the month and then with a few days left in the month I would be pulled into the room and told that my monthly goal has been raised. I would end up not hitting my goal and would get talked to about that. This happened multiple times. I would talk about it to other management and then I would get in trouble for not being a team player and following company values. If you like catty, negative environments, then this place is for you. If not, watch out.

Advice to Management

Get new management on every team. A lot of them don't know what they are doing. Stop being so shady and actually support your employees. They all want to do good and help the company, but it feels like management doesn't want them to succeed.

Great Vibe, Smart People, Earnest Desire to Win

I have been working at Simply Measured full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Simply Measured feels like one big family. People accept each other, take care of each other, and look for opportunities to play and have fun. Having fun is a central focus. I also think everyone has a clear sense of what they're doing and why their work is important for the company's success. People are busy and engaged. Compared to other startups, the work-life balance is exceptional and we hear a LOT about how the company is doing. The leadership is, compared to what I've seen other places, willing to share detailed information that helps us understand the challenge we're tackling, honestly.

Cons

I can't think of any glaring cons. Like any company, we have moments where we wished we'd done something better or departments act in silos or we feel under pressure to scale our impact in the market 10X. But, that's normal. At least we're talking about it because the worst thing you can do at Simply Measured is keep your thoughts to yourself and stew. Someone will call you out.

Advice to Management

The moment something has proven that it isn't working, drop it and try something else. It's hard to end things sometimes but we have a lot of ways we can grow and we just need to try them all out as quickly as possible to figure out which works best for us.

Carpe Opportunity!

I have been working at Simply Measured

Pros

There are tons of pros. Broadly stated, social and data are two of the hottest industries on their own, so it's energizing to come to work at a place that brings the two together. Add the fact that the product is truly differentiated in a crowded market and it's hard not to be excited about the things that are ahead. The office, work environment and employees are all phenomenal. Employees have autonomy and the successful ones can chart their own growth path within the organization. The management team shows strength by making hard decisions before they need to. This kind of foresight is often lacking at a startup/growth company and it's something that shouldn't be taken for granted!

Cons

Like any company there are some pains associated with growth, including executive turnover and lots of changes.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking big! Progress has been made to make compensation packages more competitive but still room for improvement.

11. A growing company in a unique space

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Simply Measured full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location and a growing company. My colleagues were smart and hard working. Fast growing and challenging (in a good way) work environment I loved the product we were selling.

Cons

Quotas changed more than I would have liked. Benefits were adequate but could have been better.

Advice to Management

I would offer more training on the sales side. Other than that I was pretty happy at work.

RSS Feed </> Embed