Sims Recycling Solutions

Sims Recycling Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Steve Skurnac

Poor Corporate Management Structure

Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee)
Morrisville, PA

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

Proslarge company, benefits, decent pay

Conspoor corporate response and management, commute from each office

Advice to Senior Managementbe more understanding and involved

Export document assistant

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions

ProsHave little liking for company.

ConsWorking environment is unacceptable. Unable to work 40 hrs work week even though the
position states FT. Only 37.5 hrs are accorded by management.
Still use time clock to keep track of employees hrs. Employees will be penalized for being
late if clocks in 1 minute after work time starts.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more flexible with employees.

The management at my local facility is a joke.

Laborer (Former Employee)
Sparks, NV

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsI was allowed to do several different types of tasks. I also enjoyed interacting with the public.

ConsNo room for advancement, insecurity from fellow co-workers and supervisor, and singled out on a daily basis for attacks on my character.

Advice to Senior ManagementSims, as a whole, is an awesome company. However, they need to do a total overhaul of their entire Sparks, Nevada facility !!!! I'm not the only former employee, or customer, that shares this opinion.

Horrible experiance

Yard Supervisor (Former Employee)
Bronx, NY

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsOutside of the ladies who bring food, not much

Consmany, mostly in management. I was given a fairly high position, and terminated in 3 months, because of a boss who was threatened.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the guy stealing in the Bronx

Very bad business environment to work in, its all about who you know there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
North Haven, CT

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsNot much to say for pros everything that seemed like a pro ended of becoming a lie or disapointment.

ConsManagers and bosses are all related or past friends. Rules twisted for those who know each other. People in control with out degrees or earned experience over those who have it. Alot of promises and offers that never came true. Very bad organization can a better business with the proper people working.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up and start over.

Excessive reliance on mediocrity

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAlways busy, never bored. There are many interesting operational problems to be dealt with. Safety is a Top Priority! Fun colleagues to work with.

ConsExcessive reliance on temporary workers. Training of any type, unless specifically safety-related, is nonexistent. Low compensation, slow advancement. Poor communication from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your ground-floor top performers! Institute structured training programs and well defined career paths.

Interesting work; patient trying upper management

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking in a small office. Muli-faceted work environment. My manager was very knowledgeable and willing to teach me beyond my position. Always busy, never boring.

ConsDishonest upper management who do not keep their promises.
Short sighted General Managers with no real business experience.
Some sites received better benefits than others. Some facilities were made to feel lesser.

Advice to Senior ManagementSims may need to stick with what they know, metals. General Managers and upper managers are not trustworthy. Need to unite the separate facilities and make the company one instead of each location acting as a separate company

A must read for this company...

Operations (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA paycheck every 2 weeks

Consmanagement is clueless and have no ambition to advance the company to the next step. Most people who work here just dont care or want to care at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees about what works and doesnt work in todays marketplace. Worry about the future and not just the next day only.

All The Right Intentions......

West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKnowledgeable, friendly people. Follows-through on ensuring responsible management of electronic scrap. Young, growing company with the typical pains that go along.

ConsNo evidence of Vision at the highest level of management. Lack of communication and accountability at most levels of management. Limited to no career advancement opportunities. Pay below industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds senior management from outside the scrap metal industry. Required reading of Jim Collin's "Good To Great" and Covey's "Seven Habits" for all levels of management.

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time

ProsThere is integrity in the business where we truly recycle and properly dispose of all electronics responsibly.

ConsIt is unorganized with no accountability among senior managers. The executive board is full of managers, not leaders that are not forward thinking. They are simply collecting a pay check and trying to get by. There is no future of a real career if you are ambitious and intelligent. The company needs to change how it is doing business otherwise it will continue to do poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to change the leadership and most of the managers. There is a need in investing in talent to turn around the company.

Worked for Sims Recycling Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sims Recycling Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sims Recycling Solutions CEO Steve Skurnac. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Sims Recycling Solutions employees.