Sims Recycling Solutions

Poor Corporate Management Structure

Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager  in  Morrisville, PA
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Morrisville, PA

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

large company, benefits, decent pay

Cons

poor corporate response and management, commute from each office

be more understanding and involved

A Study In What Not To Do....

Former Employee - Office  in  West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office in West Chicago, IL

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great, caring people. OK benefits. Most people are open to listening and are willing to want to improve. Semi-flexible schedules for career folks.

Cons

Company is scaling back creating severe lack of teamwork and trust. Lack of communication by managament on what's really going on opens creates rumor mills and inattention to day-to-day work. Little to no training offered. Corporate culture is in a fog, most people have no idea where the company wants to go and how we can help.

Open communication goes a LONG way to keeping people focused! Invest in your people and they will invest in you, no matter what the current climate.

West Chicago warehouse Supervisor-let go!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time

Pros

I am looking into updating my resume and getting the heck out of Sims - West Chicago.

Cons

Worried employee: I would seek another job because just found out that on August 1st, 2014, that they let go one of their warehouse supervisors (West Chicago) and that was a huge surprise!!! Also, in a surprise announcement that all 3 Canadian and U.K facilities will be closing. They recently closed it US facilities in Texas and New Jersey as part of restructuring and the restructuring is expected to cost Sims between $80-$85 million in charges. It was not widely know that the company was considering further closings. I would not look into working here and those that are,

Look into West Chicago's Plant and Operations Manager job responsiblities, they can do without one of these positions. That's where you are overpaying a salary. What do they really do? nothing and looking into a company paid lunch.
    Human Resources region manager is a very hard person to work for and talk to, it should be about the employee, but she is all about the company and and if you talk, you know you will be let go so no one wants to talk to her. Warhouse employees and others are scared to come to work as the warhouse environment is bad. Not a good environment to work in, if you feel that you might not have a job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Office

Former Employee - Office  in  West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office in West Chicago, IL

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You meet great employees who become real good friends!

Cons

Mgmt at WC are known to fire good employees, And the ones they do keep really do not know how to do the job at all, its who they like the most. Very low morale! Glad I am not working there and sorry for the ones that are.

Warehouse employees and office personnel does not know what the Plant or Operations manager does. Only that they fire alot of good hard working people.

Export document assistant

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions

Pros

Have little liking for company.

Cons

Working environment is unacceptable. Unable to work 40 hrs work week even though the
    position states FT. Only 37.5 hrs are accorded by management.
    Still use time clock to keep track of employees hrs. Employees will be penalized for being
    late if clocks in 1 minute after work time starts.

Please be more flexible with employees.

The management at my local facility is a joke.

Former Employee - Laborer  in  Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Laborer in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was allowed to do several different types of tasks. I also enjoyed interacting with the public.

Cons

No room for advancement, insecurity from fellow co-workers and supervisor, and singled out on a daily basis for attacks on my character.

Sims, as a whole, is an awesome company. However, they need to do a total overhaul of their entire Sparks, Nevada facility !!!! I'm not the only former employee, or customer, that shares this opinion.

Horrible experiance

Former Employee - Yard Supervisor  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Yard Supervisor in Bronx, NY

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Outside of the ladies who bring food, not much

Cons

many, mostly in management. I was given a fairly high position, and terminated in 3 months, because of a boss who was threatened.

Get rid of the guy stealing in the Bronx

Very bad business environment to work in, its all about who you know there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much to say for pros everything that seemed like a pro ended of becoming a lie or disapointment.

Cons

Managers and bosses are all related or past friends. Rules twisted for those who know each other. People in control with out degrees or earned experience over those who have it. Alot of promises and offers that never came true. Very bad organization can a better business with the proper people working.

Clean up and start over.

Excessive reliance on mediocrity

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always busy, never bored. There are many interesting operational problems to be dealt with. Safety is a Top Priority! Fun colleagues to work with.

Cons

Excessive reliance on temporary workers. Training of any type, unless specifically safety-related, is nonexistent. Low compensation, slow advancement. Poor communication from upper management.

Invest in your ground-floor top performers! Institute structured training programs and well defined career paths.

Interesting work; patient trying upper management

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in a small office. Muli-faceted work environment. My manager was very knowledgeable and willing to teach me beyond my position. Always busy, never boring.

Cons

Dishonest upper management who do not keep their promises.
    Short sighted General Managers with no real business experience.
    Some sites received better benefits than others. Some facilities were made to feel lesser.

Sims may need to stick with what they know, metals. General Managers and upper managers are not trustworthy. Need to unite the separate facilities and make the company one instead of each location acting as a separate company

Worked for Sims Recycling Solutions? Contribute to the Community!