Sims Recycling Solutions

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Steve Skurnac

Poor Corporate Management Structure

Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee) Morrisville, PA

Proslarge company, benefits, decent pay

Conspoor corporate response and management, commute from each office

Advice to Senior Managementbe more understanding and involved

Office

Office (Former Employee) West Chicago, IL

ProsYou meet great employees who become real good friends!

ConsMgmt at WC are known to fire good employees, And the ones they do keep really do not know how to do the job at all, its who they like the most. Very low morale! Glad I am not working there and sorry for the ones that are.

Advice to Senior ManagementWarehouse employees and office personnel does not know what the Plant or Operations manager does. Only that they fire alot of good hard working people.

Export document assistant

ProsHave little liking for company.

ConsWorking environment is unacceptable. Unable to work 40 hrs work week even though the
    position states FT. Only 37.5 hrs are accorded by management.
    Still use time clock to keep track of employees hrs. Employees will be penalized for being
    late if clocks in 1 minute after work time starts.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more flexible with employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The management at my local facility is a joke.

Laborer (Former Employee) Sparks, NV

ProsI was allowed to do several different types of tasks. I also enjoyed interacting with the public.

ConsNo room for advancement, insecurity from fellow co-workers and supervisor, and singled out on a daily basis for attacks on my character.

Advice to Senior ManagementSims, as a whole, is an awesome company. However, they need to do a total overhaul of their entire Sparks, Nevada facility !!!! I'm not the only former employee, or customer, that shares this opinion.

Horrible experiance

Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsOutside of the ladies who bring food, not much

Consmany, mostly in management. I was given a fairly high position, and terminated in 3 months, because of a boss who was threatened.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the guy stealing in the Bronx

Very bad business environment to work in, its all about who you know there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) North Haven, CT

ProsNot much to say for pros everything that seemed like a pro ended of becoming a lie or disapointment.

ConsManagers and bosses are all related or past friends. Rules twisted for those who know each other. People in control with out degrees or earned experience over those who have it. Alot of promises and offers that never came true. Very bad organization can a better business with the proper people working.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up and start over.

Excessive reliance on mediocrity

Supervisor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAlways busy, never bored. There are many interesting operational problems to be dealt with. Safety is a Top Priority! Fun colleagues to work with.

ConsExcessive reliance on temporary workers. Training of any type, unless specifically safety-related, is nonexistent. Low compensation, slow advancement. Poor communication from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your ground-floor top performers! Institute structured training programs and well defined career paths.

Interesting work; patient trying upper management

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsWorking in a small office. Muli-faceted work environment. My manager was very knowledgeable and willing to teach me beyond my position. Always busy, never boring.

ConsDishonest upper management who do not keep their promises.
    Short sighted General Managers with no real business experience.
    Some sites received better benefits than others. Some facilities were made to feel lesser.

Advice to Senior ManagementSims may need to stick with what they know, metals. General Managers and upper managers are not trustworthy. Need to unite the separate facilities and make the company one instead of each location acting as a separate company

A must read for this company...

Operations (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsA paycheck every 2 weeks

Consmanagement is clueless and have no ambition to advance the company to the next step. Most people who work here just dont care or want to care at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees about what works and doesnt work in todays marketplace. Worry about the future and not just the next day only.

All The Right Intentions......

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) West Chicago, IL

ProsKnowledgeable, friendly people. Follows-through on ensuring responsible management of electronic scrap. Young, growing company with the typical pains that go along.

ConsNo evidence of Vision at the highest level of management. Lack of communication and accountability at most levels of management. Limited to no career advancement opportunities. Pay below industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds senior management from outside the scrap metal industry. Required reading of Jim Collin's "Good To Great" and Covey's "Seven Habits" for all levels of management.

Worked for Sims Recycling Solutions? Contribute to the Community!