Sims Recycling Solutions

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.1

Steve Skurnac

Good benefits, no room to grow.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my team there were a lot of very nice and kind people to work with. Good compensation.

Cons

No room to grow. Not very organized and had a bad project management system.
    There are a lot of people who tried to outshine the others, especially the senior managers.
    The company could do better at making their project management employees feel appreciated and valued. Some of them acted as if only the operations people where a key to the success of the company; that's a huge mistake. Every employee is valuable and makes a significant contribution to the overall success of the company.

Plan better, allow people from within to move up.
    Reorganize your system so everyone is treated as a valued employee, not only operations.

In need of better culture

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, people were good and open to change. There are a few good gems. There are offices with great localized culture.

Cons

Every site and manager had a different method of approach. At times drastically different than the overall culture of the company. There was no continuity of a single management culture or actual management training program that would allow employees to move up from within and help current managers better manage and lead their team.

Create a management training program. Cultivate employees and terminate bitter managers unable to learn or change for the better of the company.

Poor management / communication with an undefined direction.

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are OK. Employee and environmental safety are a top priority.

Cons

There is very poor communication within this company. The future direction is very unclear and recently facilities are closing / downgrading, leaving one with no hope for upward mobility. Staff is typically confused due to poor communication and as a result are incapable of producing quality work, which leads to customer dissatisfaction. Very little effort put forward into listening to the people who have their ears to the ground.

Listen to your employees. Communicate effectively. Compensate fairly.

Really fun

Former Employee - Line Worker in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Rancho Dominguez, CA

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Take safety very serious
    you get to smash expensive things that you would never have the opportunity to anywhere else
    they buy everyone lunch if we reach the quota for the month

Cons

no opportunity for advancement
    really hard work trying to keep up with the quota everyday
    they are clean freaks and want everything spotless but thats not that bad

It is an ok job for now

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions

Pros

I Like my coworkers, friends

Cons

Manager does not communicate well

"Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Had a Job when jobs were hard to come by. That's about it.

Cons

The Cons of working here were low morale and no communication. Conditions are horrible and you are basically in an environment where you can't trust anyone. There is also very little room for advancement in the company. Low wages of $8.00 an hour and when there are raises they are only 1%. This company started the process of Mandatory overtime on Saturdays and would not tell people until one day before Saturday. The Company hires employees who have an attitude in the office or Warehouse and also, have people in positions of authority that don't deserve to be there.

If you want to succeed in today's marketplace, listen to your employees and hear feedback on how to improve your company. Give your employees initatives to want to work for your company. Also, improve communication within the company. That way people won't be upset and be lost in the process.

laborer

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time

Pros

it was educational and financial enlightening

Cons

I was condemned for my pass and not my progress

Work does not pay off

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is interesting to anyone who is hands on and willing to work. The industry won't be going anywhere, but that is not necessarily the case for SRS. Safety is a top priority and the benefits/401k plan are good.

Cons

Experience depends on location, but I traveled to many different sites so I have a good idea of the general company culture. Regardless of the level you are at in the company, you will not be rewarded (in any way, not just $$) for your hard work. Workers on the floor generally are in very uncomfortable working conditions and are not paid well. Raises happen 1 time per year and the company rarely provides them. The first year of work, non-exempt employees were given a 1% raise AKA $.09. Overtime is available depending on the company needs. When it all comes down to it, career development and personal development are extremely difficult in the work environment.

Focus on your people and who manages them. Treat your workers like the companies in any "Top 100 Best Companies to Work For" list would treat their employees. Recognize that your employees are your best asset, regardless of whether they work on the floor dismantling goods or if they work in the office. Start new with your culture. Everything else will come.

A Study In What Not To Do....

Former Employee - Office in West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office in West Chicago, IL

I worked at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great, caring people. OK benefits. Most people are open to listening and are willing to want to improve. Semi-flexible schedules for career folks.

Cons

Company is scaling back creating severe lack of teamwork and trust. Lack of communication by managament on what's really going on opens creates rumor mills and inattention to day-to-day work. Little to no training offered. Corporate culture is in a fog, most people have no idea where the company wants to go and how we can help.

Open communication goes a LONG way to keeping people focused! Invest in your people and they will invest in you, no matter what the current climate.

West Chicago warehouse Supervisor-let go!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sims Recycling Solutions full-time

Pros

I am looking into updating my resume and getting the heck out of Sims - West Chicago.

Cons

Worried employee: I would seek another job because just found out that on August 1st, 2014, that they let go one of their warehouse supervisors (West Chicago) and that was a huge surprise!!! Also, in a surprise announcement that all 3 Canadian and U.K facilities will be closing. They recently closed it US facilities in Texas and New Jersey as part of restructuring and the restructuring is expected to cost Sims between $80-$85 million in charges. It was not widely know that the company was considering further closings. I would not look into working here and those that are,

Look into West Chicago's Plant and Operations Manager job responsiblities, they can do without one of these positions. That's where you are overpaying a salary. What do they really do? nothing and looking into a company paid lunch.
    Human Resources region manager is a very hard person to work for and talk to, it should be about the employee, but she is all about the company and and if you talk, you know you will be let go so no one wants to talk to her. Warhouse employees and others are scared to come to work as the warhouse environment is bad. Not a good environment to work in, if you feel that you might not have a job.

Sims Recycling Solutions Photos