Simulia

Simulia CEO Scott A. Berkey

Scott A. Berkey

Great Place to Work

User Assistance Intern (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsFriendly people, very flexible work time and great work culture. This company will definitely keep your sports interests alive. Many activities and knowledgeable seminars always going on.

ConsNow since I haven't found any cons inside the company so I would say the location is not a great one. Also there is no cafeteria inside the company. But they are moving to a new campus in sometime September 2014 and the new campus has all the facilities.

Good company for software engineers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGreat products; opportunities to work on challenging technical assignments; smart, dedicated people

ConsSlow to react to market dynamics; Innovation managed from top down

OK company to work for

Pros-Job Stability due to consistent revenue growth
    -Smart, talented people particularly in area of Finite Element Analysis
    -Well respected Product
    -Good time-off policies and work-life balance.

Cons-Salaries and raises are on the lower side.
    -Too many technology and management changes. Hopefully this will stabilize and become more reasonable in coming future.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep building on the good work done so far.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad company, but salaries are very low

R&D Customer Support Manager (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting challenges, job stability, relaxed work atmosphere

ConsSalaries not competitive, no recognition

Good company to work for over all

ProsVery nice work culture, management promotes excellent work life balance. Most of the employees are highly trained, technically adept and very helpful. The quality of work is quite challenging and motivating.

ConsSince a lot of changes happening both in the personel as well as the product lines, the senior management doesn't always do a good job of passing the information down. Opportunities within the company is also limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the vision more clearly.

Great people to work with

ProsThe employees at Simulia are extremely knowledgeable and bright people. Their integrity is also very high. Since DS acquired Abaqus the work environment has changed. The 'big company' feel is certainly evident, but overall it's still a good company to work for.

ConsThe DS umbrella adds a lot of red tape which really hinders your ability to complete tasks in an efficient manner.

For bright people this is a place to work for up to four years and then move on...

Development Engineer (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsYou get the feeling of grad school, flexibility and you work with smart stimulating people.

ConsThe compensation and salary are mediocre, if you include inflation your salary increases by 1.5% after years of work. Promotions are not merit base, they are pressure base. As a young talented engineer I will leave as soon as my GC is cleared.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the salary, we have told you many times that salary and compensation is an issue in your multiple "best places to work review meeting" and that item is the one that you always skip because "you can't do much to improve it"

Overall, a good place to work, but limited growth opportunity in some areas.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsThe DS corporate vision is exciting and energizing. The work environment is friendly and spacious. The culture is one of respect and an appreciation for intellectual property.

ConsThere is limited growth in some departments and the work/life balance is an issue for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more recognition for valued employees and encourage functional managers to provide more positive feedback on a regular basis. Years of service awards are nice, but not as meaningful if direct manager or functional manager does not acknowledge and show equal appreciation.

this company was founded in a good position in 70s, but now competitors are catching up.

Product Manager (Current Employee) Providence, RI

Prostheir product is reliable and incorporated new technology quickly. the product is used by all major industries in mechanical engineering including automobiles, aerospace, energy etc. and achieves good success. People in their development there work really hard. The company is changing rapidly to get aligned with the holding company product suite.

Consmany good developers leave the company in recent years. The career path is not good. The salary is below average. A lot of meetings and talking. Only a small number of people finally get the core product moving forward.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep changing the company.

A place to work

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Providence, RI

Pros- Working with some of the brightest people in the field of FEM and computational mechanics;
    - Most people are highly educated (PhD, MS), friendly and easy to interact with;
    - Satisfaction of contributing to an iconic and well-respected product (Abaqus) used by many companies and engineers around the world;
    - Cultural diversity;
    - Some work schedule flexibility (but depends on the manager);
    - Most of the technical managers are understanding people;
    - (Still) a decent vacation (3 to 5 weeks depending on for how long you have worked here);
    - Current location (although not in a nice neighborhood) is relatively close to downtown Providence;
    - Some (limited) travel opportunities (depending on the group, manager etc.);
    - Stability and growth of the company;

Cons- Average benefits: benefits have been reduced year by year for the last several years, from good to average: 401k contribution was reduced; employee’s contribution to health insurance was introduced and has been increased year by year while the quality of the health plans decreased and so forth…
    - Low salaries, insignificant salary raises and mediocre bonuses for the last several years despite good company growth. Almost none of the big profit cascades down to those creating the products generating the income. Also, the company takes back some of raise by increasing the employee health care contribution etc.;
    - Many good technical people (support and development) left during the last year;
    - Career growth can be very slow and without much professional satisfaction. Depending on the group, you might have to deal with a huge amount of old code which can take up to several years to learn. Because of the average benefits newer developers do not stay that long anymore and talented people are hard to find. Work can be very dull at times: unless you joined the company 10-20 years ago, don’t expect you’re going to get the most interesting work, no matter your background, skills or interests. No opportunities to learn new programming skills (unless you do it on your own time). No opportunity to publish or do academic level research (except for a few people);
    - Recognition goes mainly to people who contribute to products with high visual impact. If your work cannot be visualized do not expect much recognition;
    - Uncertainty of HQ location in the near future;

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make this a great place to work for great people … not a great place to work for average employees.

Worked for Simulia? Contribute to the Community!