Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Updated November 10, 2014
3.2

Sinai Hospital of Baltimore President and COO Neil M. Meltzer
Neil M. Meltzer

Sinai is more cons than pros

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Pros

You can use your ID badge to purchase food in cafeteria, coffee shop - no need to carry cash.
    Staff (RN, techs, etc.) are pleasant to work with

Cons

Upper management's open door policy is a farce
    Necessary changes require meeting after meeting after meeting - very slow process
    Management turnover is high. Disappointed with the "recommended resignations" of talented people who are excellent clinicians.
    Disconnect between private physician groups and physicians that are employees.
    Message delivered from upper management is clear: Production outranks patient care

Remember that you're management and not at the bedside. Listen to the clinicians. Practice what you preach! Communication from upper management to employees lacks honesty. There is very little follow-up communication regarding employee concerns. Deal with the REAL issues and have less meetings. Morale is down and that doesn't improve by sending upper management on retreats. Instead, send upper management on share days with the staff who take care of patients. In doing so you can experience the headaches you cause as you make decisions from behind a desk - far removed from where the issues take place.

Beware of Sinai Hospital of Baltimore. Talk to other employees before signing on with Sinai.

Former Employee - Average Human Being, Just Trying to Do A Good Job. in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Pros

Sinai has a history of being a leader in Medicine in the community.

Cons

I have worked in four different hospitals. Sinai ranks as the worst (by far) in terms of how they treat their employees. Regardless if one is a tech, a nurse, a physician, support staff, secretary--you name in, the vice presidents categorically seem to actively pursue the philosophy of "the beatings will continue until morale improves." This is NOT a good place to work.

Dear Senior Management: You are working with fellow human beings. Treat them with respect and kindness. Otherwise, you will continue to see a mass exodus of employees who flee from your draconian practices. It's not too late for you to regain some respect within the medical community. Right now, though, the word on the street is to avoid Sinai. It is you, the management, who have set the tone so that this opinion exists. It is the truth.

Resigned After All That Time

Former Employee - RNI in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - RNI in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly great coworkers and good work environment. Most of us care about our patients.

Cons

Experienced verbal abuse. Employees were afraid to file a complaint. The stress caused me to have a slight stroke.

Really good employees are resigning. Abuse of authority creates a chaotic Work environment.

Is there a list for 100 worst places to work..it's getting worse!

I have been working at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Pros

I have great co-workers who make coming to work more enjoyable. The cafeteria is nice and the people who work here are genuinely friendly.

Cons

Management makes our jobs so much harder, constant criticism, talking down like we are less than- This has not been a great experience. I've stuck it out for a whole year to see if things would change, pretty much now I'm just waiting for a job offer.

The mirror that you shine on your employees to nitpick and criticize, if you turn it around to you Sinai would be a better place to work. I love what I do, I am just moving on to do what I love at a place where I'm appreciated.

Review of Rehabilitation Hospital

I worked at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore full-time

Pros

Some co-workers that really care about patients and attempt to provide quality care

Cons

Entrenched middle management team that manages through gossip and back biting and more concerned about maintaining position then providing excellent care, preferential treatment demonstrated for certain types of employees and patients based on religion, anonymous complaints and surveys are not truly anonymous and management team is more concerned with getting people with complaints out then resolving issues, unprofessional behavior on the part of management (breast feeding baby while having another individual type up their own review in the same room, lifting up skirts to show staff holes in their clothing, gossiping about staff)

Re-examine your middle management; those surveys are not accurate measures of how they are performing when employees know that managers can be vengeful and petty.

Okay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Pros

Free staff parking and wonderful president who cares a lot about his staff.

Cons

Management of the Rehab Hospital needs some MAJOR improvements. Sweet to your face and than talk behind your back.I see it all day long and it hurts the moral of the teams. We are wonderful staff but don't always get treated that way.

Be nice to people because karma can come back to bite you!

Hospital is GREAT for Treatment, But treatment of employees is terrible.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Pros

Awesome health benefits. Doctors are on site. Appointments can be made during the work day. Kosher Deli and regular non-kosher cafeteria. The general peer relationship is good - and overall the administrative and medical staff are friendly and always ready to help the patient or patient's family. There is a Family feel to the hospital.

Cons

Constantly changing mid to higher level management. The Sr leadership tends towards favoritism. There is little communication about changes in structure to the employees until after the changes take place and employees feel as if the rug has been taken out from under them. Mid-high level managers often support backbiting and backstabbing - complaints were heard that other employees were afraid of this manager or that manager due to tenure and ability to get someone fired by whining to the correct VP or Pres. If you go to HR, there is a general understanding that nothing you say is confidential, so no one goes to HR until they can handle it no longer. Over all, the place breeds insecurity, backstabbing, secretive back room talks, and a disconnect with employees who help power the hospital.

Pay attention to what employees tell HR. Keep who said what confidential. Reiterate that with HR Staff. It is difficult enough to go to an HR department and discuss your VP or Pres disrespecting and/or mistreating an individual without worrying that there will be a backlash.

Job Review

I have been working at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary, health benefits, and experience

Cons

New Executive management's bottom line is fiscal

Remember the front line staff

Sinai

I have been working at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Pros

Promotes career growth within the company

Cons

Low annual salary raises

Core values don't line up with behaviors.

I have been working at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore

Pros

Career potential exists if you're willing to do the next job without title or compensation until an position is approved.

Cons

Mediocrity is commonplace. Management expectations are unrealistic given ongoing staff shortages.

Align staffing with workload demands and performance expectations. Approve positions needed to provide quality service.