Sinclair Broadcast Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sinclair Broadcast Group Chairman, President, and CEO David D. Smith

David D. Smith

Pros
  • I have been fortunate enough to work with great people here(in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits: healthcare, sick time and vacation time, 401k(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lot's of hard work, but very littie appreciation for employees(in 3 reviews)

• bad management terrible work place low pay terrible place to work terrible company avoid at all costs really not worth it(in 3 reviews)

Great place to learn but move on once you've gotten that

Accounting-Finance (Former Employee) Hunt Valley, MD

ProsInteresting work, decent benefits, a good place to start out and get some experience

ConsTraining is okay, time off policies are normal. You will do better there if your a man. Inappropriate management behaviors are sometimes tolerated and covered up at the expense of others. Work load can be heavy depending on who you are. There are people there who produce or deliver very little and others who are overwhelmed and working on the weekends. You can get taken advantage of.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop protecting people who should no longer be there or are one of the "boys".

Was not a pleasant experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hunt Valley, MD

ProsCompany is well known. The company has connections around the country so you can network.

ConsOffice culture was terrible. Extremely inflexible, very unfair in our requests, yet they asked for ridiculous overtime without overtime pay. Only off for the major holidays. Almost everyone was looking to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees a little more like equals, not like subordinates.

Decent pay and benefits; terrible corporate culture and unpleasant atmosphere

Master Control Operator (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

Pros- pay is good compared to other MCO jobs I've had
    - good benefits
    - top-notch equipment and technology
    - good amount of vacation time

Cons- horrible corporate atmosphere
    - condescending, oppressive, rigid, and disrespectful management
    - miserable, angry co-workers
    - lack of upward mobility
    - poor training
    - many co-workers had swing shift schedules

Advice to Senior Management- Show more respect for your employees
    - Try positive reinforcement instead of constant discouragement
    - Establish a more effective training program

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding company to work for.

Broadcast Engineer (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThis company provides opportunity for advancement, technical training and lots of places to work across the US. They have stations from the East coast to the West coast in great places to live and work. They have a 401K that is matched annually with company stock and is employee directed. The benefits are decent. The work can be challenging, fun and rewarding. They try to give back to the community as often as they can.

ConsIt is a 24 hour/365 day broadcasting company. Some jobs do not have favorable hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople make the difference.

Want to live in poverty?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo workers and they have not charged us for office supplies or installed pay toilets yet.

ConsOur station was purchased by Sinclair. Here's what our new employer offered us: Slashed sales commissions, eliminated gas allowance, removed draw, insane sales budgets, botched commission checks, charge employees a percent of their sale when a customer pays for ads with credit cards! Who ever heard of doing that? They know next to nothing about new stations or markets they conquer, but a lot about how to reduce employee standard of living.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike they'd listen! They are too big to care, and don't care how employees on any level are affected by their cut throat ways. Their stock increases every time employee benefits are cut.

So Glad I Left!!

Associate Producer (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsIt looks great on a resume, but that's about it. The benefits are nice, but I wasn't there long enough to take advantage of them. I jumped ship as soon as I could!

ConsVery little pay, but that was expected. The micro-management was ridiculous here - I had three managers who all hated each other and had different opinions, so I was in the wrong no matter what I did. The hours are ridiculous - I was working overtime every single week, and they would switch my shifts on a daily basis. It was impossible to make plans because they'd tell me they were switching me to the overnight shift the DAY BEFORE! I missed my husband's surprise birthday party that I planned because they kept switching my shifts. Management has no respect for their employees. It's almost impossible to get a promotion here, even when they acknowledge that you've earned it. They'd rather bring in someone new than promote within. They do this so they can keep you EXACTLY where they have you!

Working here was honestly the most miserable experience of my life, and the day I quit, I felt like a giant weight had been lifted off of my shoulders.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like PEOPLE! Do not expect them to dedicate their entire lives to the news station. That's probably the reason why all three of my managers were in their 50's and single/divorced.

Promote from within! It boosts employee morale and gives employees a reason to work harder. Want to know why you're last in the local rankings? It's because your employees don't care! They know that no matter how hard they work, they won't be recognized.

The news content is biased

News Producer (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsThe pay is decent compared to other news outlets with my experience

ConsEvery newscast is required to run certain content from sinclair that is obscenely biased.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

This company opened the door for my career.

Production Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsThey gave me an opportunity to use my talent and skills to enhance the company.

ConsI have no cons to share at this moment.

Under paid, over worked and no work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers who all hate it as well to vent about frustrations. I managed to learn a lot there, but only because I wanted to strengthen old skills and create new ones so I could move on.

ConsBy far the worst company I've ever worked for. Even though it was a tv station, many of the equipment was dated. Example, used a dot matrix printer and a typewriter.
    Always told you are replaceable by the next batch of new grads for less money.
    HR is completely uneducated on best practices as well as employment law.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your HR people or hire people who are well versed in employment law and best practices.
    Train your managers or hire managers who are better educated on employment law and how to treat their employees.

Great people but management are horrible and selfish

ProsGood on a resume or for short term employment/stepping stone

ConsWork in Engineering/IT. Worst department in the US. Stay clear if possible. Very high turnover

Worked for Sinclair Broadcast Group? Contribute to the Community!