Sinclair Broadcast Group

Updated October 20, 2014
2.6

Sinclair Broadcast Group Chairman, President, and CEO David D. Smith
David D. Smith

Pros
  • Good benefits and it's a very stable company (in 4 reviews)

• I have been fortunate enough to work with great people here (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • bad management terrible work place low pay terrible place to work terrible company avoid at all costs really not worth it (in 4 reviews)

• Lot's of hard work, but very littie appreciation for employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn but move on once you've gotten that

Former Employee - Accounting-Finance in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Accounting-Finance in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, decent benefits, a good place to start out and get some experience

Cons

Training is okay, time off policies are normal. You will do better there if your a man. Inappropriate management behaviors are sometimes tolerated and covered up at the expense of others. Work load can be heavy depending on who you are. There are people there who produce or deliver very little and others who are overwhelmed and working on the weekends. You can get taken advantage of.

Stop protecting people who should no longer be there or are one of the "boys".

Advancing is not much of a option.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck every 2 weeks.

Cons

Due to understaffing and pressure from management to go above and beyond what any one person can do, there is a ton of stress put on all employees below management. When Management is told about the conditions and given suggestions to make it better they seem to ignore and not care at all, this causes issues of resent and distrust.Trying to advance is next to impossible if you have any other position than management. You can't be promoted from one job title to another without experience, which they will not give you. So advancing is not a priority to them.

The hiring process takes to long and doesn't seem to find the right person for the right positions. Someone who has absolutely no experience what so ever should get more than 2 days of training, before being thrown into the fire. Management needs to open their eyes and see putting stress on everyone else except certain few can break a system down and cause resentment. Hire more people so that certain positions do not have to do 30 hrs of overtime.

Pushing political views not good journalism

Former Employee - News Producer
    Former Employee - News Producer

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Located everywhere
    Expanding
    Strong corporate cash position
    will survive consolidation

Cons

Low salaries
    job dissatisfaction
    unhappy coworkers
    unethical business and journalistic practices mandated by top company executives
    weak benefits
    weak growth opportunities
    The "walmart" of local news

Focus on journalism and independence, not pushing the CEO message of conservatism and free-for-all free-market capitalism

Little room for growth, low pay, good resume builder

Current Employee - Scheduling Specialist
    Current Employee - Scheduling Specialist

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Good experience for an entry level jobs. Co-workers are very friendly and easy to get along with, which makes your work day much more enjoyable. Big company so it can look good on your resume. Good benefits and it's a very stable company.

Cons

Low pay. Micro-managed. No room for growth. The only way to grow within the company is if someone above you quits. Promotions can be based on personal relationships rather than professional relationships. No raises. Management can be extremely unprofessional at times.

Promote from within the company instead of hiring someone from the outside. It will keep keep the employees motivated and give them something to work for. Needs to be a possibility of getting a raise other than the standard yearly cost of living raise (which employees are expected to be excited about).

If I could give them 0 stars I would...

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will hire you with little to no experience.
    Good bonus structure.

Cons

BEWARE of Sinclair U. You learn some things but thats it. If you leave it costs you $5000 (last paycheck or pay them) to get out of the contract. If they accidentally pay you they'll claim you still owe them. Management are "YES" men and women to corporate. Never trust a Sinclair manager. They're out to save their own skin.

Start treating your people like people. Give them real benefits and don't nickel and dime them on vacation days and sick days. 5 sick days? Thats sad. And whoever heard of buying vacation days? Quit buying up so many stations. Competition is healthy.

Was not a pleasant experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is well known. The company has connections around the country so you can network.

Cons

Office culture was terrible. Extremely inflexible, very unfair in our requests, yet they asked for ridiculous overtime without overtime pay. Only off for the major holidays. Almost everyone was looking to quit.

Treat your employees a little more like equals, not like subordinates.

Decent pay and benefits; terrible corporate culture and unpleasant atmosphere

Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- pay is good compared to other MCO jobs I've had
    - good benefits
    - top-notch equipment and technology
    - good amount of vacation time

Cons

- horrible corporate atmosphere
    - condescending, oppressive, rigid, and disrespectful management
    - miserable, angry co-workers
    - lack of upward mobility
    - poor training
    - many co-workers had swing shift schedules

- Show more respect for your employees
    - Try positive reinforcement instead of constant discouragement
    - Establish a more effective training program

Outstanding company to work for.

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company provides opportunity for advancement, technical training and lots of places to work across the US. They have stations from the East coast to the West coast in great places to live and work. They have a 401K that is matched annually with company stock and is employee directed. The benefits are decent. The work can be challenging, fun and rewarding. They try to give back to the community as often as they can.

Cons

It is a 24 hour/365 day broadcasting company. Some jobs do not have favorable hours.

People make the difference.

Want to live in poverty?

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Co workers and they have not charged us for office supplies or installed pay toilets yet.

Cons

Our station was purchased by Sinclair. Here's what our new employer offered us: Slashed sales commissions, eliminated gas allowance, removed draw, insane sales budgets, botched commission checks, charge employees a percent of their sale when a customer pays for ads with credit cards! Who ever heard of doing that? They know next to nothing about new stations or markets they conquer, but a lot about how to reduce employee standard of living.

Like they'd listen! They are too big to care, and don't care how employees on any level are affected by their cut throat ways. Their stock increases every time employee benefits are cut.

So Glad I Left!!

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It looks great on a resume, but that's about it. The benefits are nice, but I wasn't there long enough to take advantage of them. I jumped ship as soon as I could!

Cons

Very little pay, but that was expected. The micro-management was ridiculous here - I had three managers who all hated each other and had different opinions, so I was in the wrong no matter what I did. The hours are ridiculous - I was working overtime every single week, and they would switch my shifts on a daily basis. It was impossible to make plans because they'd tell me they were switching me to the overnight shift the DAY BEFORE! I missed my husband's surprise birthday party that I planned because they kept switching my shifts. Management has no respect for their employees. It's almost impossible to get a promotion here, even when they acknowledge that you've earned it. They'd rather bring in someone new than promote within. They do this so they can keep you EXACTLY where they have you!

Working here was honestly the most miserable experience of my life, and the day I quit, I felt like a giant weight had been lifted off of my shoulders.

Treat your employees like PEOPLE! Do not expect them to dedicate their entire lives to the news station. That's probably the reason why all three of my managers were in their 50's and single/divorced.

Promote from within! It boosts employee morale and gives employees a reason to work harder. Want to know why you're last in the local rankings? It's because your employees don't care! They know that no matter how hard they work, they won't be recognized.