Sinclair Broadcast Group Reviews

98 reviews filtered by
2.5
Sinclair Broadcast Group Chairman, President, and CEO David D. Smith
David D. Smith

Pros
  • Good benefits and it's a very stable company (in 4 reviews)

• I have been fortunate enough to work with great people here (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for growth, low pay, terrible hours (in 5 reviews)

• Lot's of hard work, but very littie appreciation for employees (in 3 reviews)

1. Very good experience overall!
    Great benefits, great coworkers, challenging job.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

-Supportive management
    -Flexible schedule - if you need to go to the doctor or run by the bank, you just go. Since salespeople are paid on commission, we have the flexibility to do personal things on occasion/within reason.
    -GREAT production team (the best in the market, in fact.)
    -Close-knit team. You start to feel like a family. I can genuinely say that many of my coworkers are also my friends.
    -Not much competition amongst account executives - we generally don't compete with each other for accounts. We may compete to see who can make the most sales, but it's in a supportive way, not a vindictive way.
    -Growing company that is the largest owner of TV stations in the U.S.
    -Good benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k with match, etc.
    -100% commission compensation - if you're good at this, you can make a good deal of money. And there's no limit to what you can make.
    -Lots of digital products to sell that will help make everyone more money and help our customers reach more of their potential customers. Sinclair invests heavily in digital because of the changing nature of how people watch TV.

Cons

-There is no such thing as a good job for very long. It's always on to the next thing.
    -With Sinclair, you are asked to sell different products that are people's pet projects, whether or not you think they make sense for the businesses you are talking to. They push for everyone to have a part in selling everything - it doesn't matter what your strengths and weaknesses are, they want you to sell it all.
    -Not very many opportunities for promotion - you can become a Local Sales Manager, a General Sales Manager, a Digital Sales Manager, or a General Manager. But that's about it.
    -We aren't the number 1, 2 or 3 station in the market, which makes it more difficult to sell sometimes.
    -No in-house newscast - another selling challenge that needs to be overcome sometimes
    -100% commission compensation - if you aren't good at this, or you're having a rough couple of months, your paycheck will suffer for it.

It would be nice if we could keep a larger perspective in terms of success. Having a culture of beating people up when they're not making their goals (which management then has no choice but to pass that feedback down to their salespeople at a local level) does not make for a pleasant work environment.

2. GREAT Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group

Pros

Company has tripled in size in 3 years so there is a TON of growth, awesome management - the chance is given to be heard and ideas generated and to learn new ways to do your job better. Busy, fun environment.

Cons

Trying to keep up with the growth has been tough, but they are adding new people as fast as they can hire them.

3. Sinclair recently bought the station I work for.

Current Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Raise right away - they are not afraid to spend money

Cons

Large company only a 1% raise.

5. Disorganized

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group

Pros

Good people to work with on the local level, world-class television sales training, and good commission rates.

Cons

No perks for sales- nothing is written off so pray you don't have a big territory. Upper-level management does not understand how advertisers are buying nowadays.

Sell digital options that clients need, not just blanket packages to fulfill a goal. This is how to lose clients.

Just make the donuts.

Former Employee - Promotions Producer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Promotions Producer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with decent job security.

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid and not given the tools to succeed.

Upper Management doesn't have the ability to change things, even the General Manager is at the mercy of somebody hundreds of miles away that has no intentions of helping.

Working in the TV, slash digital, industry.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of resources; Sinclair is a big company, and is pretty forward thinking.

Cons

Feels a bit utilitarian, but expectations on performance are not out of line.

8. Manager

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They know the technical side of the biz better than anyone. This is a sales company that happens to own tv stations...it is all about the dollar.

Cons

If you cannot handle the pressure this is not the place for you. Meet goals or look for another job.

Add some team bonding...

9. This is a good company. I enjoyed my time. I would for them again if I did not have to move

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group

Pros

Management is behind you. Everyone works hard. I really liked living in Columbus. I learned a lot

Cons

I have no complaints. Happy to see better managers in the building in all departments.

10. Good stepping stone - Digital Ad Operations

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group

Pros

They will certainly teach you about the business, and you'll definitely have to excel at the basics of it and need to learn how to adapt to changes, which frankly isn't a bad thing if you're willing to put in the effort and take your career seriously

Cons

You'll more often than not eventually realize that managerial cohesion is still in its infancy, and the 'what have you done for me lately' attitude from them can be off-putting. The digital advertising department is growing and plans are in the works to make it function better, but at this point the directives are very unclear and communication between management and employees isn't very good

Stop creating an environment that more or less encourages people to leave after a few years. This company in general, and the digital advertising department in particular would be much stronger if better incentives were provided to employees. A lot of people don't feel appreciated there

11. Living up to their awful reputation

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Very hard to find anything good to say here... Staff is very nice and benefits are okay. Some managers care about whether or not you succeed. There are several good products to sell, however you're not really ever trained on any of them.

Cons

Very little training... managers tend to just toss you in without helping much. There's very little respect for your time. Too many last minute meetings that tend to be a waste of time. Your job is threatened daily which makes it very hard to focus and stay positive. There's a lot of empty promises from managers. They tend to move accounts around a lot which makes clients very upset because they never know who their rep is and reps never know who they're supposed to be calling on.

A structured training program would help but that would just be a band-aid. The office wouldn't be such a revolving door if managers cared more and kept promises. It's very obvious that managers do not care about any of their reps.