Sinclair Broadcast Group

Updated January 16, 2015
2.2

Sinclair Broadcast Group Chairman, President, and CEO David D. Smith
David D. Smith

Pros
  • Good benefits and it's a very stable company (in 4 reviews)

• I have been fortunate enough to work with great people here (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for growth, low pay, terrible hours (in 5 reviews)

• Lot's of hard work, but very littie appreciation for employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn but move on once you've gotten that

Former Employee - Accounting-Finance in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Accounting-Finance in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, decent benefits, a good place to start out and get some experience

Cons

Training is okay, time off policies are normal. You will do better there if your a man. Inappropriate management behaviors are sometimes tolerated and covered up at the expense of others. Work load can be heavy depending on who you are. There are people there who produce or deliver very little and others who are overwhelmed and working on the weekends. You can get taken advantage of.

Stop protecting people who should no longer be there or are one of the "boys".

No room for advancement andd too much work put on too few people.

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group

Pros

Can wear casual clothing if not in Sales.

Cons

Too many lazy people that aren't liable for doing their jobs.

The Walmart of the industry

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it seems that they have no problem expensing technology.

Cons

My observation is there is no respect for the tallents of the employees. Pay seems to on the low ind of the pay scale average of the industry.

Provide management with management training and people skills and not accept a manager in that position just because they have been there for a period of time. Perhaps that will keep turnover to a minium.

Poor compensation, no room for advancement, poor news judgement

Former Employee - News Producer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - News Producer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at the this local station can be great to work with despite the challenges of bad management, poor news judgement and overall lack of quality.

Cons

The organization tends to push it's conservative agenda despite it's position as a local news station, that should be non biased, and they did so a lot in the 2012 election. There was no room for growth for within at this station, you were capped on how high you could go and on salary. Huge turnover for many positions.

Try promoting from within to have a better culture and lower turnover.

Sexual Harassment and Public Humiliation is no joke.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

The pros are that there were medical benefits.

Cons

There were so many sexual harassment cases I never reported it's unbelievable. I actually regret not reporting them but I believe at this point it's too late. At the time I needed the money at the time and was too scared to take the step and for that I will gravely regret.

Having two sales managers lock the door and tell me to call them "daddy" was probably one of the worst most humiliating experiences of my life. When I was barely making quota one month (It was a hard month to make sales despite my greatest effort), they locked the door and began yelling and humiliating me. I told them "I apologize I just want to ask a......" mid sentence I hear "YOU SHUT UP!" I never said anything offensive, was always nice and smiling and just simply asked a question. One of my fellow A/E's tells me "there's lots of harassment here they like to whip the horse".

There were lots of sexual comments and lewd jokes that I'm not even going to mention as you get the bottom line.
    But all they care about is the bottom line anyway. You can tell them your family just died in a car wreck and they would ask you right after being informed of this "what are your numbers looking like?"

Sexual harassment aside, you do the work of 4 people not 1. You have 3 hours out of the day to cold call the rest of the time is spent on servicing accounts. It's also not guaranteed that the accounts they give you will be yours forever. You can go from making 50k to 20K because of 1 mistake.

They also publicly humiliate you if you don't make your numbers. The managers will send all the managers and every coworker an email saying "John didn't sell out Simpsons" for example with John's name highlighted in red with a comment that says "What's your problem John??!" Harassment.

You'll be in a very forced weekly (Or daily if numbers are bad) meeting as if our country's terror alert turned cryptic red. One of the managers will lead the meeting saying something to the extent of "Whoever didn't make budget please stand up". John stands up. They humiliate John.

Sometimes the big wigs come in from out of town and like to get everyone in a room yell "You lazy lazy lazy reps!" Then after that act like a nice guy to sweep the abuse under the rug.

I have so many stories I'm not sure if there's limit here on Glass door but I think you have all you need.
    Sexual harassment, hard and thankless work, no direction you are thrown to the wolves, humiliation, the list goes on and on...

Without meaning to sound hokey, you are as a person what your experiences have made you. You can choose the path of positivity or negativity. It's your life and time is precious so I hope you make the right decision. Take that for what it is.

Have cameras running at all times...

Would never recommend.

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group

Pros

Worked with some nice people.

Cons

Terrible HR department at both local and corporate level. Does not care about their employees.

Can we give them negative stars??

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Delta Dental. That's the only pro about the company. They offer the highest rated dental insurance in the country.

Cons

Poor management, stoic managers, horrible vacation and sick day (5 sick days??) policy, low pay, little respect for employees, rarely spend money to improve conditions.

Learn to treat your workers with respect. Its counter-intuitive to squeeze them like sponges expecting them to make you more money when they are just going to quit out of spite.

Used

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got a paycheck and had a job.

Cons

The Human Resource department is very unprofessional and not helpful at all.

Take better care of your employees.

Production Assistant

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group

Pros

Good hands on experience, excellent direct supervisor

Cons

Little room for growth, low pay, terrible hours

Advancing is not much of a option.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck every 2 weeks.

Cons

Due to understaffing and pressure from management to go above and beyond what any one person can do, there is a ton of stress put on all employees below management. When Management is told about the conditions and given suggestions to make it better they seem to ignore and not care at all, this causes issues of resent and distrust.Trying to advance is next to impossible if you have any other position than management. You can't be promoted from one job title to another without experience, which they will not give you. So advancing is not a priority to them.

The hiring process takes to long and doesn't seem to find the right person for the right positions. Someone who has absolutely no experience what so ever should get more than 2 days of training, before being thrown into the fire. Management needs to open their eyes and see putting stress on everyone else except certain few can break a system down and cause resentment. Hire more people so that certain positions do not have to do 30 hrs of overtime.