Sinclair Broadcast Group

Updated December 11, 2014
2.5

Sinclair Broadcast Group Chairman, President, and CEO David D. Smith
David D. Smith

Pros
  • Good benefits and it's a very stable company (in 4 reviews)

• I have been fortunate enough to work with great people here (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for growth, low pay, terrible hours (in 5 reviews)

• Lot's of hard work, but very littie appreciation for employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

So Glad I Left!!

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It looks great on a resume, but that's about it. The benefits are nice, but I wasn't there long enough to take advantage of them. I jumped ship as soon as I could!

Cons

Very little pay, but that was expected. The micro-management was ridiculous here - I had three managers who all hated each other and had different opinions, so I was in the wrong no matter what I did. The hours are ridiculous - I was working overtime every single week, and they would switch my shifts on a daily basis. It was impossible to make plans because they'd tell me they were switching me to the overnight shift the DAY BEFORE! I missed my husband's surprise birthday party that I planned because they kept switching my shifts. Management has no respect for their employees. It's almost impossible to get a promotion here, even when they acknowledge that you've earned it. They'd rather bring in someone new than promote within. They do this so they can keep you EXACTLY where they have you!

Working here was honestly the most miserable experience of my life, and the day I quit, I felt like a giant weight had been lifted off of my shoulders.

Treat your employees like PEOPLE! Do not expect them to dedicate their entire lives to the news station. That's probably the reason why all three of my managers were in their 50's and single/divorced.

Promote from within! It boosts employee morale and gives employees a reason to work harder. Want to know why you're last in the local rankings? It's because your employees don't care! They know that no matter how hard they work, they won't be recognized.

Outstanding company to work for.

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company provides opportunity for advancement, technical training and lots of places to work across the US. They have stations from the East coast to the West coast in great places to live and work. They have a 401K that is matched annually with company stock and is employee directed. The benefits are decent. The work can be challenging, fun and rewarding. They try to give back to the community as often as they can.

Cons

It is a 24 hour/365 day broadcasting company. Some jobs do not have favorable hours.

People make the difference.

Want to live in poverty?

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Co workers and they have not charged us for office supplies or installed pay toilets yet.

Cons

Our station was purchased by Sinclair. Here's what our new employer offered us: Slashed sales commissions, eliminated gas allowance, removed draw, insane sales budgets, botched commission checks, charge employees a percent of their sale when a customer pays for ads with credit cards! Who ever heard of doing that? They know next to nothing about new stations or markets they conquer, but a lot about how to reduce employee standard of living.

Like they'd listen! They are too big to care, and don't care how employees on any level are affected by their cut throat ways. Their stock increases every time employee benefits are cut.

This company opened the door for my career.

Former Employee - Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They gave me an opportunity to use my talent and skills to enhance the company.

Cons

I have no cons to share at this moment.

The news content is biased

Current Employee - News Producer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - News Producer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent compared to other news outlets with my experience

Cons

Every newscast is required to run certain content from sinclair that is obscenely biased.

None

Under paid, over worked and no work/life balance

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers who all hate it as well to vent about frustrations. I managed to learn a lot there, but only because I wanted to strengthen old skills and create new ones so I could move on.

Cons

By far the worst company I've ever worked for. Even though it was a tv station, many of the equipment was dated. Example, used a dot matrix printer and a typewriter.
    Always told you are replaceable by the next batch of new grads for less money.
    HR is completely uneducated on best practices as well as employment law.

Train your HR people or hire people who are well versed in employment law and best practices.
    Train your managers or hire managers who are better educated on employment law and how to treat their employees.

Great people but management are horrible and selfish

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Good on a resume or for short term employment/stepping stone

Cons

Work in Engineering/IT. Worst department in the US. Stay clear if possible. Very high turnover

Learning experience

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group part-time

Pros

Great people. Fun environment. Entertaining.

Cons

Not nearly enough pay. Horrible hours.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work with great people! Lisa Barhorst has really made a change to station. It is a fun, great place to work. We now have great management who is extremely helpful and caring. I love coming into work! In the two years that I have been with Sinclair I've seen major positive changes. Sinclair spent millions to move us to a new building in a great area with all new equipment. Our current area was very pleasant and in a bad part if town. They have hired people who are committed and love what they due but yet know how to make it fun. It truly is a great place to work! With great people!

Cons

Sometimes it's overwhelming with all the packages we have to offer.

Keep having fun!

Great Company Declining Value in Market

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Sin Claire Broadcasting offers a fantastic training program for future employees: Account Executive, Sales Reps, and Research Analysis personnel. This company is also on the breaking edge with digital marketing initiatives as well: Internet pre-role ads, retargeting, and app ads.

Cons

Sin Claire Broadcasting, is a Broadcasting company. With that, broadcasting companies are loosing value in general, being that cable providers are taking hold of markets. To enter this realm of advertising, one must have a large established network, knowing various business owners etc. Someone entering in this market needs to firmly believe in their broadcasting station thy were hired under and needs to believe in TV.