Sinclair Community College Reviews

1. Professor

Former Employee - Student
    Former Employee - Student

I worked at Sinclair Community College full-time

Pros

Very pro family and easy to work for

Cons

Not many positions available on an on-going basis

Embracing diversity only means what they want it to mean, which rather negates the whole definition of diversity.

I worked at Sinclair Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay. Great time off. There was always something interesting going on. The campus is very nice. I applaud the idea of the accessibility of a college education to everyone.

Cons

I was grossly misled in the interview process as to how much time would be spent between my various duties. My major job function was very critical, but I was constantly being pulled into other facets and aspects of my department and I was unable to give my major job function anything near the time it required to be completed in an efficient and timely manner. The stress of that just grew and grew. My direct manager was unapproachable and provided no training. I had come from a background where, yes, I knew the systems and the processes, but as every school has different ways of doing things, and different tweaks to the software, I was unprepared for the challenges I would face. A decent bit of training in Sinclair specific operations, and the support of a manager who would take the time to listen and actually hear what the issues were would have made all the difference. I suspect my manager was sort of in the same boat under her manager: and that attitude basically crept UP the corporate ladder and there was no recourse. Rather, it was easier for them to ignore suggestions; blame the employees, and shame the very individuals who were trying to do things better, to do things right, and to still believe in the basic premise that we are there for the students.

Advice to Management

When you conduct diversity training, try to remember that diversity is defined as : the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas, etc. : the state of having people who are different races or who have different cultures in a group or organization This means all forms, types, races, ideas, and cultures. Also, give more support to the departments which are directly involved with the success of the students, and recognize that processing information is customer service as much as holding their hand when they need it. Recognize the individuals who try to do both in a balanced manner. Give them the time to do that.

Sinclair Adjuncts not compensated fairly for their qualifications

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse student body, some career training (but not compensated)

Cons

Low pay, no health insurance, required job training not compensated

Advice to Management

Please show integrity and don't follow the national trends of lower and lower compensation to adjuncts--highly educated, highly qualified professionals whom you trust to educate your students. If you want Sinclair to continue to have a reputation for providing a decent education and for valuing education, don't pay your instructors near-minimum wages. How can instructors be expected to encourage students to get a college education if a master's degree is rewarded by Sinclair with lower wages than one could earn as a manager at a convenience store or fast food franchise? Also, for courses that involve grading a lot of writing (that is, non-automatic, machine grading), provide a base salary and then a per-student compensation for every student in the class above a minimum size . That would help compensate for the enormous amount of additional grading/work hours required.

Program Aide

Former Employee - Program Aide in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Program Aide in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sinclair Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization culture is amazing. Sinclair Community College works really to help the students complete their degrees and reach their academic goals.

Cons

Federal Policy are chaining , and funding sources are decreasing drastically.

6. It's ok for now.

Current Employee - Faculty in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Faculty in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Time off is good.

Cons

Unprepared and unmotivated students. Slow turn around time on expense reimbursements. Overload pay schedule always comes after major holidays.

Advice to Management

Fix the pay schedules. Look into academic freedom.

7. Great place to work

I have been working at Sinclair Community College

Pros

Friendly people, nice area, students

Cons

lack of advancement, no benefits

Advice to Management

More full time staff needed

8. Great place to work, student centered.

I have been working at Sinclair Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well planned, well organized, well run organization. Facilities are well kept, staff and faculty benefits are wonderful. Voted best places to work in the Dayton Business Journal

Cons

Federal Policy, funding sources are decreasing, numerous operating changes due to policy changes. Upper level Administration shifts due to significant retirements.

Criticial Mission, but no loyalty whatsoever to those who strive to serve that mission.

I worked at Sinclair Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission driven organization, good benefits. Dynamic work environment. Some training opportunites.

Cons

Layers of bureaucracy and tunnel-vision impedes the abilty to be nimble and responsive. Executive level politcs drive all decisions. Loyalty to employees is at the bottom of the list of strategic priorities.

Advice to Management

Have a laser focus on the students and their educational success. Stop trying to be everything to everybody.

Fair pay and benefits but bad experiences with management and administration.

I worked at Sinclair Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were good for the current economic climate. I learned a lot and grew as an employee while there and I got to work with a number of nice people there. The campus is well cared for and there was always something interesting going on there. There were also a number of nice training opportunities.

Cons

Working with the management and administration in the area where I worked to obtain the things that I mentioned in the Pros section of my review was stressful and dysfunctional. I was at Sinclair for about 15 years and there were four reorganizations in the area where I worked so I worked for four different managers or administrators. I can't speak for the whole college but in the area that I worked the management and administration often seemed to be examples of types that they warn you about in business or psychology classes. One manager was very passive/aggressive and really didn't give me very many projects to work on. Another one that worked for seemed very ego driven and once even seemed to try to sabotage a project that I worked on when they heard good things were being said about it from the president's office. It seemed like they didn't like anyone looking better than they did. The last manager that I worked for was the worst. They were very controlling and erratic. They were either very in your face or they would ignore you for weeks at a time. They would want to be very involved with my projects at the beginning and then just leave it when they lost interest, leaving me with uncompleted or incorrect parts to finish. They once showed up at a presentation I was giving without telling me and saying that they just wanted to sit in on it and then they came up and sat right next to me at the front of the room and started presenting information and giving me directions in front of the staff. The information they were presenting was also incorrect. These experiences with management left me feeling dumbed-down and disheartened and contributed to my decision to leave Sinclair.

Advice to Management

Based on the information I posted in the Cons section, I honestly don't think the management in the area where I worked at Sinclair would be responsive to advice.

11. Good support from department chair as a part-time instructor.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sinclair Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Parking stipend, opportunities to advance in pay scale, online training for teaching online, access to computer lab and copiers, schedule was consistent, helpful department admin assistant.

Cons

weekend teaching schedule meant very little interaction with other instructors, stacked classes can be challenging to teach if all sections are enrolled, part-time pay rate makes it a good part-time job but compensation is much less than full-time for the same time, effort, education, and teaching skills.

RSS Feed </> Embed