Singapore Armed Forces
www.mindef.gov.sg Singapore, Singapore 5000+ Employees

Singapore Armed Forces Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Lieutenant-General Neo Kian Hong

Pros:
  • "free food and free bed for you to sleep"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Work-life balance clearly delineated, even if not always up to expectations"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "super long working hours at times"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Excessive red-tape is the root cause of the organisation's inefficiency"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Naval Divers

I worked at Singapore Armed Forces full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat training and life learning experiences. Made some of my best friends within the Naval Diving Unit and I will take away skills that I have never imagined.

ConsIt is a small unit within its own facilities. Communications with other camps is low. Culture within the camp does not necessarily fit everyone's personality.

Good experience

I worked at Singapore Armed Forces full-time for more than a year

ProsMet lots of great people here, made lots of good friends. Got to learn a lot here, both in terms of hard and soft skills. Learned to interact with people in various settings.

ConsRegimentation took some getting used to, and more institutional flexibility would be desirable. Also, one's experience is highly dependent on the people you're surrounded by. Work was also a little monotonous.

Life changing experience

I worked at Singapore Armed Forces

ProsGreat training and life learning experiences. Developed drive, discipline and motivation in me.

ConsMore bureaucratic as it is the public service.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

job scope

National Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at Singapore Armed Forces full-time

Prosjob given was clear, remuneration was good. there was sufficient training given before tasking you with the job. There a lot of perks given when working in the SAF

Consjob gets very stagnant after a while. Might have to deal with some internal management issues.

Cons outweigh the pros

I worked at Singapore Armed Forces

ProsKeeping fit while on the job won't be a problem (it's mandatory in fact); very attractive compensation and benefits.

ConsRigid hierarchy; long working hours; bureaucracy and egos/boot-licking work hand in hand to form a "rush to wait, wait to rush" system of work; at lower levels, generally expected not to question but to just "do"; strict regimentation ensures that innovation and creativity is stifled.

3SG

ProsEasy Job, little stress, no OT

ConsEverything is about your qualifications. Play Rank

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Easily one of the best choice for potential employee seeking a stable life.

Third Sergeant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Singapore Armed Forces full-time for more than a year

ProsStable job security regardless of the economic conditions. Regulars are available to enticements such as regular bonuses and medical coverages.

ConsRigid management and leadership style, bureaucratic and highly political work culture. With a few sustained intrinsically motivated employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview and revamp the work culture, review the top-down authoritarian robotic culture.

A 2-year stint filled with numerous ups-and-downs..although there were more downs than ups. 2 years of forced labour.

I worked at Singapore Armed Forces

ProsBeing physically-fit while on the job; Mandatory to get at least a minimum Silver for IPPT. Spend most of your weekdays in-camp (which can be a good thing) as food and accommodation is provided.

Cons2-year stint is mandatory only for local-born citizens and 2nd-generation PRs. Foreign Talents need not apply. Salary is so 3rd world that construction foreign workers are paid more than us.
Further in-camp trainings and yearly IPPTs/RTs for the next 10yrs (FTs excluded). There's this saying, "NS for Singkies, Jobs for FTs".

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to government currently in power; Consider making it mandatory for 1st generation PRs to serve NS. "Foreign Talents" on S-passes & E-passes need to pay NS levy each month as a form of exemption from NS. This is to ensure a balanced playing field for those citizens who had to waste their 2 years serving the country while FTs come here in busloads to get all the best-paying jobs.

Paid to watch movies

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Singapore Armed Forces full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat job for bums! Low workload. free food. free air conditioning. also, public transport rates are concessionary! Given complimentary one hour lunch break. Generous salaries by 3rd world standards.

ConsObscure working location, Macdonald's pays 3-4 times more. Bureaucratic red tape aplenty. Inefficient use of talent, underemployment aplenty.

Advice to Senior Managementnil. good organisation

Horrible

Third Sergeant (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Singapore Armed Forces full-time for more than a year

ProsFree food, free stay. High pay if you sign on and intend to while away life. Excellent job if you are fitness minded.

ConsExploitative superiors who does not deserve their pay, plenty of blame pushing and finding scapegoats which bulldozes their poor decision simply by means of rank and not ability. Probably the only organisation which can easily exploit staff by means of law.

Worked for Singapore Armed Forces? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Singapore Armed Forces reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Singapore Armed Forces CEO Lieutenant-General Neo Kian Hong. All 113 reviews posted anonymously by Singapore Armed Forces employees.