Single Grain Reviews

Sujan Patel

1. Great opportunities for digital marketers with an awesome team of people

Former Employee - Director of Paid Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Paid Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Single Grain was a lot of fun. The work was intellectually stimulating, the clients were all established brands, and if you prove yourself you're given absolute autonomy. Single Grain also has a highly effective remote culture, most employees are young & motivated, and it's a fun place to work with cool people.

Cons

If you need lots of hand holding this is probably not the agency you. On the flip side, if you're driven and motivated to learn new things and become better at what you do Single Grain is a great fit.

2. Company tried hard to maintain good culture but it's not working

I worked at Single Grain full-time

Pros

As an agency, you get to be exposed to working for clients from varying industries and get more hands on experience on all aspects of a project.

Cons

Company/management focus a lot on employee's individual goals and reviews but employee don't seem to get the support from management to execute these goals. For example, our bonus was tied in heavily to the goals we have to achieve, however, our goals can't be related to our day to day work and we don't have additional hours to work on these goals making it hard to achieve these goals. Also, management will ask employees to submit weekly self-eval, but management don't execute any suggestions provided by employees. We don't see any improvements despite providing our feedback.

Advice to Management

Make goals more related to improving our main responsibilities, and make self-eval a quarterly thing rather than weekly.

3. Digital Marketing at its Best

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Single Grain is a pioneer when it comes to being on the forefront of internet marketing. If you've ever wanted to work for a digital marketing agency, or have strong experience in the online marketing space, Single Grain is definitely for you.

I worked at Single Grain for over a year in a sales position having hardly any prior knowledge in the digital marketing sphere. What I found as I called around and generated interest jn Single Grain services, is that many other digital marketing agencies let their clients down when it comes to knowledge of the the most recent trends in digital marketing and/or they weren't tracking the ROI of their marketing campaigns diligently enough. Single Grain delivers all of the most advanced Internet Marketing treads with the back-end and data to support these campaigns. The company also hosts weekly learning sessions and you're required to get several online marketing certifications regardless of your title, all the more beneficial to your individual career development (not to mention, it looks good on the resume).

Speaking of trends (as I did above), the team at Single Grain is represented by some of the best in the Internet Marketing business. Rubbing elbows with high domain authority figures in the digital marketing sector is something that makes working at Single Grain very special, and I would think that anybody with a passion for the space would want to be part of this culture. Also, personal development is a BIG part of any employees time at Single Grain. Each quarter team member's are challenged to come up with 5 personal goals that are quantifiable in which to work towards accomplishing. At the end of each quarter these goals are reviewed and you're challenged to come up with 5 new ones. This was a blessing to my own professional career and will be towards yours.

In conclusion, I came into Single Grain not knowing what to expect, and left feeling personally satisfied from a career development POV. Definitely would recommend Single Grain to a friend!

Cons

The one con: working remotely. If you're not used to it, or feel like you'd be very unproductive working from home, than maybe this isn't the place for you. Otherwise, it's very hard to see any other downsides to working there.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. Great place to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Single Grain has helped me develop an in depth knowledge of all the different tactics and strategies within the digital marketing world. They are an agency that is big on “asking for forgiveness” rather than “asking for permission” so employees are empowered to take risks and innovate. My manager is great at providing critical feedback and is always available to talk or answer any questions that come up. The whole company gets a long very well and we’ve learned to work efficiently and effectively together as a distributed team. It’s a great company to work for if you want to take on responsibility right away and grow professionally.

Cons

Working remotely is not for everyone. You need to be self motivated and highly organized to stay on top of multiple projects and deadlines. The pay could be better for the amount of work you are expected to do.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of team member’s time. There are some tasks that do not pertain directly to Single Grain or our clients that involve a lot of time and effort. It’s frustrating to work on a project that isn’t providing direct value to our company.

6. Exciting, frustrating, and everything in between.

I have been working at Single Grain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Single Grain has a good reputation and client base for marketers who haven't really hit their stride or picked up a lot of momentum in their careers. There's always an opportunity to learn more and an expectation for every employee to continuously improve. We're always testing new strategies and tactics and we're always adapting so you'll never get bored.

Cons

Single Grain likes to maintain a level of flexibility so employees learn to adapt quickly. This isn't an environment for someone who likes to do "their job" from 9-5 and call it good and it can be a stressful environment for anyone who has a hard time with change.

Advice to Management

Slow down and put more effort into employee development and retention.

7. Should have been paid

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Single Grain as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Single Grain has a laid back, friendly professional environment. My boss was great to work with. Many work from home, so hours are very flexible.

Cons

The work I did was actual work, and yet the internship was unpaid. SG may not be a massive firm with millions in profits, but it isn't a nonprofit, and if they can't afford to pay interns for doing a serious amount of their work, then they shouldn't offer internships.

Advice to Management

Either pay your interns or eliminate them. The "learning opportunities" are not nearly valuable enough to warrant contributing three months of work to your company for free.

RSS Feed </> Embed