Single Stop

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
4.3

CEO

Changing America! Great Vision!

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Single Stop is made up of a wonderful group of bright and talented staff who are truly committed to moving Americans out of poverty. Employees work hard, genuinely care about the work they are doing, and are a fun bunch to interact with. Single Stop is constantly pushing itself to do more and do it better, and all levels of staff have the opportunity to innovate within the field. Compensation is very competitive with lots of opportunity for growth, both within departments and cross-functionally.

Cons

As a 7 year old organization, Single Stop is transitioning away from it's start up mentality - and with that comes some growing pains. Some departments are more evolved than others, and communication cross functionally could be better. Management has been very self aware of this process and is dedicated to systematizing it's work and building it's infrastructure in order to poise Single Stop for considerable growth.

Making a difference….

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Having spent a good deal of my career in highly successful firms in the financial services sector, joining the Single Stop team was a culture shock in a myriad of ways. As the dust has settled, I have found myself to be part of a highly-committed, intelligent and caring team passionately dedicated to advancing economic mobility for the greatest numbers possible. How are we doing this? Through technology, creativity and a touch of adrenaline. We are not yet large in numbers, but we are reaching tens of thousands of families a year - approaching 900,000 since our inception only a short seven years ago. That's an awesome mission to be part of….and inspires many of us here to stretch. This is not a sleepy nonprofit…it is a fast-paced, at times, intense, and challenging environment….often as challenging as any you'll find in finance or tech.

Cons

Time and resources are often in short supply, as in any entity with an intense growth curve. We have not spent enough time and energy on individual and team development. Of course, we can learn to work smarter as our experiential capacity matures…much of our work is blazing a trail, so we are often experiencing some missteps as we grow. Candidly, for some….work-life balance is more aspirational than real…but from my perspective, a work-in-progress. It's a great place for young people to start a career - it's challenging and engaging….but, much of the learning is 'trail by fire', which is very attractive to some and not-so-much to others.

Management needs to continue to be mindful of the things that are important to employees: challenging/rewarding work, a nurturing team culture and fair/competitive rewards/opportunities. I'm not so certain that the three legs of this fundamental model are optimally in balance - I do know that management aspires that they be so.

Work hard, make a difference and have fun.

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Single stop is filled with a great group of smart and ambitious people who are just trying to make a difference. It's incredibly entrepreneurial, and like other young initiatives on the rise, it has it's challenges and excitements. The camaraderie is one of its cornerstones; people are genuinely championing for each other, which has been key to the organization's success. And, often these strong working relationships evolve into friendships, and stay connected even after single stop. While these aren't circumstances that are completely unique from other work environments, the sheer normality and default of this result undeniably makes this place special.

Cons

Like most non profits, it needs additional capacity across the board to sustain its level of work. Single stop is opportunistic, and it's natural to have a negative and positive reaction to this. On one hand it can seem like the organization has its hands in too many different things (as if we were avoiding strategy), and yet it's difficult to ignore the other hand with its impressive record to be able to quickly apply its services to wherever there is need. At the end of the day, the organization is not some corporation interested in its shareholders; its focus is on helping as many people as possible. And, that's fine by me.

Great work, horrible work environment

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people (excluding senior management), great mission

Cons

Incompetent managers who practice their incompetence for years, wasting valuable resources that could go towards fulfilling the mission of the company, but are able to stay in the company because of personal relationships with other members of management. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find another non-profit that wastes as much money as this company does.
    Absolutely no work/life balance. Don't be surprised to receive a meeting request for 9:00 pm. And at the end of the year, you are lucky if you get a $25 Fandango card for your efforts.
    Clear mission but foggy vision as to how to get there. It is quite possible to ask someone from senior management the same question multiple times and get different answers all the time.
    Erratic funding streams; it is quite possible (in fact it happens all the time) that after pouring your heart out for weeks and even months on an initiative, that that initiative is never released. That is both a function of the industry and a poor strategy. There is a joke for you: Strategy. The company is pretty much led by the next meeting of the CEO with some potential partner. It happens all the time that someone is working on something that is actually mission-critical and is diverted to work on some other thing because the CEO or someone from senior managements has a meeting somewhere, so it becomes and "all-hands-on-deck" kind of thing. Then the company misses the mark on the mission because the resources were poorly allocated.

Trust your people. Counsel from other professionals in relevant industries should always be sought and accepted but not necessarily implemented. The people who have sweat and bled with you long days and even longer nights are your best resource. Don't ignore them for the other guy/gal simply because he/she worked for Google.

Great vision and people, very fast paced

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The potential that Single Stop has is pretty amazing. Could actually change poverty in the US as it seeks to do

Cons

Lots of change with growth. Hard work pace

Focus on building more capacity to limit burnout

A great idea, but a strange way to do it.

I worked at Single Stop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Single Stop helps a lot of people. The org is dedicated to ending poverty and has an innovative approach to doing so.

Cons

The upper management can be very quirky at times. And I always got the impression that they wanted me to work more hours for less pay.

Learn to allow your employees more time for their lives outside of work. Also, listen to your folks who are lower on the payscale. They still have good ideas.

Great people, change the world vision, huge growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've never been with a nicer or smarter group of people. Almost everybody works incredibly hard and is really mission driven. Single stop is constantly innovating and coming up with solutions that can really change things for low income families.

Cons

Growth is very fast and pace can be challenging. Self starters who are driven do very well
    and can learn and advance very quickly. But change is happening so rapidly that job responsibilities change and there are many overlapping reports. I've seen some good people who could have done well in a more traditional environment fail here.

Keep the vision and passion and impact that makes Single Stop so special but start investing more in HR and other systems

Great!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Single Stop

Pros

Great environment! Great people! Very Flexible.

Cons

Not a thing, very friendly.

Terrific Job!