Sirius Computer Solutions Reviews

Updated March 10, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
3.1
Joe Mertens

Pros
  • My boss is very good with work life balance and if you are a hard worker it is recognized (in 3 reviews)

• Good amount of training for newcomers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Focuses on keeping sales people happy (in 4 reviews)

• Working for a sales company in the back office has it's challenges (in 3 reviews)

1. Sirius Computer Solutions has introduced to me to an invaluable amount of experience

Current Employee - Marketing Lead Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Lead Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I work as a part-time employee because I was (and am) still attending university. They are extremely flexible and understanding when it comes to conflicts (at least my boss is)
    -Hard work is recognized.
    -Excellent training.

Cons

-At least within the Marketing department, it is very reminiscent of high school in that there are cliques plenty of cliques. It seems that you only hang with those who also work in your position. I just thought that was kind of strange since Sirius is constantly throwing out the"we are a family" vibe.
    -Not many! I really do enjoy working with the company

2. Sales

Former Employee - Client Executive
    Former Employee - Client Executive

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

100% commission if that is your thing. No base salary for sales.

Cons

Sirius's sales compensation plan is 100% commission. Though Sirius is trying to evolve away from being IBM centric many of their sales professionals are ex IBM often with a pension which allows them to be on a 100% plan (24% of GM). Some sales people make BIG money though they are often the ones with big IBM mainframes or very good control of their accounts. Be warry of support as in my case there was no Sales Engineer support.

3. Good company

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, good team.

Cons

De-centralized, IBM focus, Not Public

AP specialist

Former Employee - AP Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - AP Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job, overtime available for those who want it, with no one on checking on you or your work. Very flexible hours come at whatever time you like, for those who can not be on time.

Cons

No communication. Very high turnover. AP management needs a major overhaul. Very poor management, management has no experience in AP, on going issues, the actions/way of handling issues, decision they make, is the proof of their non- management experience. Does not follow/ enforce any of the "Core value", management does the complete opposite. yet find a way to justify every action. Management refuses to listen/follow through employees when issues are brought to their attentions, instead turns the other way and act as they do not know what is going on, when problems arise act as they were not aware. Management never around does come around, not visible which is the reason a lot happens. Lots of favoritism, the ones management like get away lots, NOT all rules apply to all, AP management will find away to justify. The harder workers , the ones who push the work, which are very few are the ones frustrated, while the ones who slack, and goof off, are the one AP management tend to listen to. AP management need to lead as an example. Not, I can because I'm management

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to Look at AP department very high turn over. Management overhaul, get AP experienced management. Listen to employees, follow up / check with employees, have round table meetings or continue losing hard workers/ dedicated employees. It's a shame that the owner is involved in the community/ donates, while money is not being spent wisely by AP by management. Keep an eye on the AP department.

6. Company that knows the value in taking care of its employees

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is constantly growing in a terrific industry. Through mergers and acquisitions, they've been able to capitalize on their market share of clients. They have awards every quarter, and a big award ceremony at the beginning of the year recognizing employees with bonuses and also paid vacations to hot destinations. This company cares about its people and its very obvious.

Cons

Some of the challenges is the processes they have in place. A majority of the time, information coming from all channels is always different and you have to decipher what you need to do to solve your problem given a bunch of different processes.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be clear communication!

Infrastructure Consulting Career with Sirius

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A consultant has incredible opportunity for growth at Sirius, almost to a fault. Many of the hardware & software vendors help Sirius provide consultants with training. As long as consultants meet certain goals (they have varied over the years between utilization & revenue), he or she is afforded great leeway in handling customer assignments. There are waves of almost constant travel, followed by periods home office work - typically pre-sales work and training. I have had two directors in my years at Sirius, and both have been great bosses.

Cons

Over the years, Sirius has grown, and with that growth has come greater bureaucracy. In my first few years, I was provided top notch equipment (high powered laptop, personal hotspot, etc.) and as long as it was relevant to my work, extensive software tools & training access. Now, we get partial compensation for our cell phone, and training is a bit more restricted. My company laptop is old. I consider these minor annoyances, and the positives still outweigh the negatives.

Advice to Management

Basic office equipment and limited training is probably fine in a corporate office environment, but IT consultants have specialized needs. Having freelanced in the past, I understand about scrutinizing and controlling expenses, but most consultants in my group now have to purchase their own laptops and software to get what they need on the job. Now, that is a security policy violation. We are building our own POC/training labs in our home offices, because of lack of TEK center resources.

Field engineers and consultants are your product; a business plan that involves skimping on the value of this product is not a good idea.

Very challenging and interesting place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management is decent, but needs some professional training. Income potential is terrific in sales. Good technical training is provided. Sales jobs don't require a lot of travel to be successful because territories are reasonably spread around.

Cons

It's very hard to move around in the company. Whatever job you take, wherever it is, that's about all you'll be able to do. The expectation is that you will work 50+ hours per week to be successful.

9. Good people, flexible, challenging

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good although travel can easily get out of hand if you let it. People here are generally nice to work with and mostly considerate. Compensation is reasonably fair. Benefits are OK. Plenty of time off each year. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Data tools do not work well and there is an expectation of too much data entry such as time logging and other things. Very little value is placed on technical sales. Little upward mobility and direction in some divisions is vague.

10. Operations Associate

Current Employee - Operations Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great cross-training in various departments. The job is salaried, but includes overtime pay. Co-workers are friendly and love to laugh.

Cons

Typically spend 90% of your time in your cubicle (unless you are training)

Worked in direct and collaborative sales.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High energy to work with a group of very talented people. Best boss ever.

Cons

The company really segments their employees and encourages "paper pushers". They don't wholly appreciate free thinkers. Negotiate your best compensation package when you are first hired. Be sure to ask for detailed commission statements. Commission structure is already complex and hard to understand but when you don't have a detailed statement to compare earnings against sales, it turns into a "Trust Me" situation.

Sirius Computer Solutions Photos

San Antonio Corporate Office
March employee birthday celebration in San Antonio. Go Irish!
Our February employee birthdays celebration was western-themed.

+ Add Photo