Sirius Computer Solutions

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

Joe Mertens

Pros
  • My boss is very good with work life balance and if you are a hard worker it is recognized (in 3 reviews)

• Good amount of training for newcomers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Focuses on keeping sales people happy (in 4 reviews)

• Working for a sales company in the back office has it's challenges (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company that knows the value in taking care of its employees

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is constantly growing in a terrific industry. Through mergers and acquisitions, they've been able to capitalize on their market share of clients. They have awards every quarter, and a big award ceremony at the beginning of the year recognizing employees with bonuses and also paid vacations to hot destinations. This company cares about its people and its very obvious.

Cons

Some of the challenges is the processes they have in place. A majority of the time, information coming from all channels is always different and you have to decipher what you need to do to solve your problem given a bunch of different processes.

Advice to management would be clear communication!

Infrastructure Consulting Career with Sirius

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A consultant has incredible opportunity for growth at Sirius, almost to a fault. Many of the hardware & software vendors help Sirius provide consultants with training. As long as consultants meet certain goals (they have varied over the years between utilization & revenue), he or she is afforded great leeway in handling customer assignments. There are waves of almost constant travel, followed by periods home office work - typically pre-sales work and training. I have had two directors in my years at Sirius, and both have been great bosses.

Cons

Over the years, Sirius has grown, and with that growth has come greater bureaucracy. In my first few years, I was provided top notch equipment (high powered laptop, personal hotspot, etc.) and as long as it was relevant to my work, extensive software tools & training access. Now, we get partial compensation for our cell phone, and training is a bit more restricted. My company laptop is old. I consider these minor annoyances, and the positives still outweigh the negatives.

Basic office equipment and limited training is probably fine in a corporate office environment, but IT consultants have specialized needs. Having freelanced in the past, I understand about scrutinizing and controlling expenses, but most consultants in my group now have to purchase their own laptops and software to get what they need on the job. Now, that is a security policy violation. We are building our own POC/training labs in our home offices, because of lack of TEK center resources.

Field engineers and consultants are your product; a business plan that involves skimping on the value of this product is not a good idea.

Very challenging and interesting place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The management is decent, but needs some professional training. Income potential is terrific in sales. Good technical training is provided. Sales jobs don't require a lot of travel to be successful because territories are reasonably spread around.

Cons

It's very hard to move around in the company. Whatever job you take, wherever it is, that's about all you'll be able to do. The expectation is that you will work 50+ hours per week to be successful.

Good people, flexible, challenging

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good although travel can easily get out of hand if you let it. People here are generally nice to work with and mostly considerate. Compensation is reasonably fair. Benefits are OK. Plenty of time off each year. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Data tools do not work well and there is an expectation of too much data entry such as time logging and other things. Very little value is placed on technical sales. Little upward mobility and direction in some divisions is vague.

Operations Associate

Current Employee - Operations Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great cross-training in various departments. The job is salaried, but includes overtime pay. Co-workers are friendly and love to laugh.

Cons

Typically spend 90% of your time in your cubicle (unless you are training)

Worked in direct and collaborative sales.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

High energy to work with a group of very talented people. Best boss ever.

Cons

The company really segments their employees and encourages "paper pushers". They don't wholly appreciate free thinkers. Negotiate your best compensation package when you are first hired. Be sure to ask for detailed commission statements. Commission structure is already complex and hard to understand but when you don't have a detailed statement to compare earnings against sales, it turns into a "Trust Me" situation.

Okay place to work

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions

Pros

Very laid back work place. Sirius Hires internally first which is great for current employees! Good amount of training for newcomers.

Cons

Lack of appreciation from management. Most other companies pay better for the amount of work done. Focuses on keeping sales people happy.

Show employees that they are appreciated. They will work better.

Medicare Company, lousy Mangemnt

Current Employee - Solution Architect
    Current Employee - Solution Architect

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to hire A players .. Still a few left .. But most come and go
    Generally pay well
    Have made some good acquisitions like MSI

Cons

Very poor Mangement , CFO is driving the company into the ground through cost cutting by machette. general poor execution in the field
    Upper management is very arrogant and don't seem to really understand the business on the ground level where all the revenue is earned.

Pay better aittention to the game on the field. Build a culture . Read a John a Wooden book on Execution

They need a viable strategy for inevitable technology market changes.

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have great people that are very helpful. It made coming to work something I could look forward to on most days.

Cons

They are not very open to input. That is a shame because they hire smart people and they want to participate.

You should consider using the talent you have and consider other solutions

Selling services is very difficult

Current Employee - Client Executive
    Current Employee - Client Executive

I have been working at Sirius Computer Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has done a good job of becoming more than just an IBM reseller. They broadened their portfolio greatly in the last 5 years.

Cons

Selling services is very difficult because we are generally priced much higher than our competition. Some of that is due to flying people in to do the services.

Streamline services processes

Sirius Computer Solutions Photos

San Antonio Corporate Office
March employee birthday celebration in San Antonio. Go Irish!
Our February employee birthdays celebration was western-themed.

+ Add Photo