SiriusDecisions

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard Eldh

As with anything in life, you should love what you do.

Research Analyst (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSome of the nicest people I have worked with in years. I am going to miss this group. A funny, witty group that is serious about their work and making sure that clients are given the best advice possible. I really appreciated that Sirius is vendor agnostic. That made it easy to sleep at night knowing that we were not pitching one vendor over another.

Growing pains are the norm within a company of this size. As someone who has worked for mostly large companies, this was a bit of a challenge for me. It is just something to be aware of when considering working at Sirius. The owners are making significant investments into the infrastructure of the company to get it to the next plateau, so my leaving is bittersweet as I wish I could be a part of this continued growth.

The annual Summit is one of the best-run events. Kudos to everyone for making it such a success! I had the pleasure of being part of that, which was an amazing experience.

ConsNegatives are difficult because what works for one person may not work for another. I am not much of a writer, at least that is what I learned while here, and as an analyst you do a lot of writing. If you love to write, then this is an awesome job. However, this makes the role a bit solitary. There are long periods of writing alone and solitary thought, which I am sure journalist and bloggers are use to, but if you haven’t done this level of writing before, consider it before applying. There is very little slideware being created within the company, which is a good thing for clients, but not if that is how you are use to communicating with others. I fell more in the latter category, so once again it was a challenge for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI might suggest individually checking in more with the analyst as opposed to waiting for the analyst to approach you. This does seem to happen more at headquarters, but as the company grows, that personal touch to other offices will be just as important.

Otherwise, keep making the investments into the infrastructure. This will continue to help with the growth of the company and its ability to scale.

Impressive small firm having a hard time scaling

Sales (Former Employee) Wilton, CT

ProsYou can learn a lot about what sales and marketing needs to do in B2B to be successful.

ConsManagement is chaotic, sometimes retributional, some "research" is based on very flimsy data.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers! Talk about problems with the company openly. Bring in other successful managers to help with growth.

One of the best organizations I've ever worked for

Research Director (Current Employee)

ProsI don't typically write reviews, but I felt compelled to after reading the last review...

Amazing Leadership that is smart, passionate (& compassionate), generous, trustworthy, committed and creating a terrific culture.

Research Analysts bring wealth of specialized experiences; trying to push the envelope on thought-leadership/IP while also focusing on pragmatic execution. Approachable, non-threatening and "partners" to their clients - not talking to them, but rather with them (and learning from them as well).

Dedicated Sales teams works tirelessly for their customers. They're learning from one of the best in Rich.

Growing company supports lots of opportunities for creativity and flexibility (e.g. constructing new on-boarding/training programs, building new deliverables, creating new service areas, establishing new offerings, etc.).

Strong respected brand with world-class customers.

ConsWe work hard (is that a con?). But no harder than any other company with aggressive growth. No one sugarcoated it and said it was a 9-5 job during my interview process. In fact, it's inspiring.

As we are growing quickly, at times we don't do things perfectly but from what I've seen, we have implemented many of our own tools/methodologies, processes, etc. I'm confident that as we continue to learn and grow we will focus on the areas that are most critical, given our resources at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to maintain the spirit and culture that is the DNA of SiriusDecisions as we enter this next phase of our growth. Keep demonstrating the commitment and loyalty to your employees, customers and partners - and we'll keep working our asses off alongside of you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsAccountable, experienced and fair leadership. The owners of the company, while of course busy, will make the time for you. They realize the growth of this organization depends on their employees and they treat us accordingly. Camaraderie with colleagues is also excellent, I've held several corporate jobs and do not dread Mondays as in the past. You have the opportunity to truly help your clients transform their organizations - which not only feels good but gives credibility to the organization as whole.

ConsThis is a work hard/play hard environment. I only say this for some the work/life balance reviews below. This is not a job when you check in at 9 and out at 5 with a set lunch break and are only here to collect a paycheck - your effort contributes to the growth of the organization and to those around you. Do I check email on nights/weekends? Yes. I was also brought up to understand that success requires hard work and anything done well takes time. This is not a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

While the analysts are some of the best, the management is slow to change, behind the curve, and a hubristic boys club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat analysts. Good possibilities for innovation and forward-thinking movement in the industry.

ConsThere seems to be this over-arching competitiveness that is self-serving, not productive for the company. Feels like a frat house. Over the years I worked there, I saw some truly bad behavior: under-cutting and bad-mouthing colleagues, jockeying for position, lack of team focus and, on one occasion, blatant mis-information. It lead me to leave the company as it ultimately felt toxic.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an atmosphere of innovation, not a stagnant, fear-based culture. Be honorable and become know for a positive company culture that allows your employees to bring their best work. Reward great work and change the culture.

A great company for learning about sales and marketing, terrible if you want to have a life outside of work.

Pros- Access to great research
    - Most of the team is very intelligent and willing to help
    - Clients are happy/find value in Sirius
    - Access to leadership is available (by appointment)

Cons- They don't practice what they preach in sales and marketing.
    - Mid-level leadership has not had formal training (clearly their first time managing other employees) and it's either too hands on or too hands off (a huge disparity).
    - The work life balance is terrible, and this is clearly an organization based on face time (yes, it's true - the vacation policy is AWFUL).
    - On-boarding/training leaves you ill-equipped for success, and expectations for content knowledge are unrealistic (given time frames allotted especially).
    - Very, VERY nepotistic
    - While many individuals are intelligent and considerate, an equal majority are not. Roll the dice with the analysts!
    - Compensation is OK - they sell you on the access to knowledge as reason enough to accept what they pay you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers. Set realistic expectations for ramp up time.

People are kind and smart, but beware the work/life balance.

ProsIncredibly bright, funny, kind people. Highly ethical and accessible leadership. Huge growth potential. Interesting, challenging, unique work.

ConsLack of work/life balance. Compensation does not justify workload and time commitment. Painful lack of vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the cons and life is bliss! I love working for these people, but the cons keep me from being blindly loyal and I may need to accept a job elsewhere at some point because of them despite my love of the work. Some of top research talent feels undervalued and/or taken for granted.

It is an absolute honor and privilege to work at SiriusDecisions

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Best leadership I have ever been around
    -Very strong company culture - family-like atmosphere
    -Amazing growth YOY
    -Tremendous client base with an outstanding list of references
    -Unfettered access to some of the brightest minds in the industry, the analyst team is filled with former senior sales and marketing execs w/ 20+ years of experience and they are all open to sharing their experiences for the betterment of the team and are always open to teaching and collaborating

ConsTough to name any cons...just need to continue to hire top notch sales people and analysts as we continue to grow so rapidly

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to have an "open door" policy - this encourages suggestions for product and process enhancement.

My experience at SiriusDecisions has been outstanding for the last 4 years!

ProsPeople, product, management. Management is great. Everyone wants to grow the company and increase our footprint. People are eager to help you learn and make sure we are providing the best possible guidance for our clients.

ConsNo cons at this time! Great place to work.

Worked for SiriusDecisions? Contribute to the Community!