SiriusDecisions Reviews

Updated April 13, 2015
16 reviews filtered by
3.5
Richard Eldh

1. Innovative, growing company with the best sales team around.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at SiriusDecisions (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at two other public organizations over the last 7 years, and I have learned more in the year time I was at SiriusDecisions then I had in my entire career. The company is incredibly team oriented. The people are at the heart of why the organization is such a success. I no longer dreaded Mondays going into the office. As part of the sales team, you have the opportunity to learn from the talented team of analysts that were previously c-level executives in marketing, sales and communication. You couldn't work with a more brilliant, supportive group of people.

As an Account Executive, you are compensated and rewarded fairly for the efforts you put into this job. There is also great opportunity for a long term career here. The compensation structure is set up so that the sales, marketing, and research analysts teams are incented to work together. Every team is committed to ensuring the clients needs are met. The sales team is laser focused on their goals and they work together on strategy and approach. Given the rapid growth phase they are in, I was continually impressed with how well the team adjusted to the necessary changes. In my opinion, its the best sales organization I've ever worked in and it was a privilege to work with such a great group of individuals.

Separate from the day to day job, during my time at the company I found out I was pregnant. The management team went above and beyond my expectations to ensure that no additional stress was added to my plate so I could take the time I needed to care for my child. They were flexible, understanding and committed to meet my work/life balance needs. In these situations, and from my experience, the management team always does what is right for the employee.

Cons

Sales has a work hard play hard mentality. If your not willing to put in the hours, you won't reap any benefits of a great career here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Visibility into the decisions your making allows employees to be committed to their day to day work. This is important given the rapid growth.

2. Bright, innovative, thoughtful organization that is a true reflection of the people in it.

I have been working at SiriusDecisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do not typically write reviews on Glassdoor as I find them to be a cowardly expression of anonymous feedback. However, given that some of the negative reviews get more visibility (and credibility) than they should - I thought I would take the time to offer my positive feedback which is informed by actual time spent employed by Sirius.

The team and company culture is second-to-none. Working at Sirius, you are surrounded with brilliant people that are motivated with the genuine desire to help others make a true impact within their respective organizations. The content produced by the analyst team at Sirius is thought-provoking and honest, and I was impressed daily with the analyst teams' ability to apply models and frameworks to highly mature, complex business scenarios. The analyst team brings order, alignment, and visibility to scenarios that their clients sometimes feel are insurmountable. They are seasoned practitioners, scholars, teachers, therapists, and friends to the clients they interact with. They care deeply about their clients' success and it's obvious.

Perhaps the best thing about the SiriusDecisions research team is their constant, unwavering commitment to innovation in an environment where the levels of adoption and maturity are widely disparate. They are driven by the bleeding edge, and the changing trends of an evolving digital world.

The personality of the Research team is smart, supportive, and funny! The high standards of the group are obvious in the work produced. Less obvious to those outside of the organization is the high standard of respect and admiration that each team member has for one and other.

Cons

I have no "cons" to report in the traditional sense. My decision to leave Sirius came out of a desire to return to "hands-on" practitioner work - something that I was motivated to continue after my work at SiriusDecisions.

Advice to Management

Based on my experience at SiriusDecisions, I would say the management is doing just fine. It's not easy to manage a growing team, and I was always impressed by the organized way that feedback was heard and process was introduced.

3. Great company with even greater people

Current Employee - Sales in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Sales in Wilton, CT

I have been working at SiriusDecisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with the most talented and smartest team I have ever worked with. The analysts understand their services and can explain them to a customer in a way that allows the customer to see a business benefit. The sales and support team are completely focussed on their goals and over achieving them. Its the definition of high performing sale organization. The HR team does a great job - they found me and I wasn't looking to leave!

Cons

The company is growing so fast that its hard to keep up with all the changes. Lots of hiring going on and lots of trainingl

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Its working and its really exciting.

A lost opportunity -Too much focus on revenue, not enough focus on generating substance and helping clients

I have been working at SiriusDecisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great market niche for this firm to exist and grow - provided it focuses on customers. As marketing automation grows across all segments, they can really make a difference.

Cons

Analysts are too pressured to rush from one client meeting to another to support revenues and do not take the time to learn new technologies and market evolution. Some of the analysts are also very biased, in bed with some of the market players and don't want to change view. In our group, we had new employees joining as analysts with very little analytical background, and jumped from one job to another multiple times. Our practice director was a completely self-obsessed, career focused person; he has been in 12 companies in 15 years and he didn't really care about customers. A lot of nepotism and favoritism also. Highly political environment with big egos.

Advice to Management

Stop obsessive focus on revenue growth, and truly try to figure out how to add value. Cranking out 400 powerpoint slides with fluff will not help clients or have an impact. Analysts should take a lot more time to learn new segments, technologies, players, etc., to build a vision of the future - and not just merely extend the past and fill out pages of reports that really do not add any value.

Hire people that are successful in their jobs, and not just looking around to job hop from one to another. Too many of these people are at Sirius right now. This will eventually kill this company, as it will lose reputation. So, management should focus on fixing this fundamental issue - knowledge is power. Focus more on learning and thinking, less on selling, and even less on billing. Revenue will grow, if you add value; marketing fluff will only take you so far.

This is a company that sucks the life out of you. They could care less about their employees.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Wilton, CT

I have been working at SiriusDecisions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can go to lunch and have an hour of peace. If you kiss your manager's hand, you can go home 10 minutes early.

Cons

Where to start. The recruiters are the face of the company and have lost the faith of countless candidates. Why put good people through a frustrating, no follow up process? If you want to work for a reputable company, this is not the place.

Advice to Management

Your recruiting process is abysmal. They do not have the courtesy of an follow up. Don't you realize that good candidates talk to one another? Clear the recruiters out and change from a horrible experience to a more professional organization that actually follows up.

Growing company w/ bright future but also growing pains

I worked at SiriusDecisions

Pros

The rate of growth is definitely the largest pro for SD. Lot of opportunity as the company takes on new challenges and fills new gaps in the marketing consulting industry.

Cons

Growth results in growing pains and lack of clarity around roles. Work/Life balance is a bit non-existent. They expect 60+ hour weeks out of their sales people. A lot of folks are thrown into the fire after remedial training or understanding of what they're selling/marketing.

As with anything in life, you should love what you do.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at SiriusDecisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the nicest people I have worked with in years. I am going to miss this group. A funny, witty group that is serious about their work and making sure that clients are given the best advice possible. I really appreciated that Sirius is vendor agnostic. That made it easy to sleep at night knowing that we were not pitching one vendor over another.

Growing pains are the norm within a company of this size. As someone who has worked for mostly large companies, this was a bit of a challenge for me. It is just something to be aware of when considering working at Sirius. The owners are making significant investments into the infrastructure of the company to get it to the next plateau, so my leaving is bittersweet as I wish I could be a part of this continued growth.

The annual Summit is one of the best-run events. Kudos to everyone for making it such a success! I had the pleasure of being part of that, which was an amazing experience.

Cons

Negatives are difficult because what works for one person may not work for another. I am not much of a writer, at least that is what I learned while here, and as an analyst you do a lot of writing. If you love to write, then this is an awesome job. However, this makes the role a bit solitary. There are long periods of writing alone and solitary thought, which I am sure journalist and bloggers are use to, but if you haven’t done this level of writing before, consider it before applying. There is very little slideware being created within the company, which is a good thing for clients, but not if that is how you are use to communicating with others. I fell more in the latter category, so once again it was a challenge for me.

Advice to Management

I might suggest individually checking in more with the analyst as opposed to waiting for the analyst to approach you. This does seem to happen more at headquarters, but as the company grows, that personal touch to other offices will be just as important.

Otherwise, keep making the investments into the infrastructure. This will continue to help with the growth of the company and its ability to scale.

Impressive small firm having a hard time scaling

Former Employee - Sales in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Sales in Wilton, CT

I worked at SiriusDecisions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot about what sales and marketing needs to do in B2B to be successful.

Cons

Management is chaotic, sometimes retributional, some "research" is based on very flimsy data.

Advice to Management

Train your managers! Talk about problems with the company openly. Bring in other successful managers to help with growth.

10. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SiriusDecisions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accountable, experienced and fair leadership. The owners of the company, while of course busy, will make the time for you. They realize the growth of this organization depends on their employees and they treat us accordingly. Camaraderie with colleagues is also excellent, I've held several corporate jobs and do not dread Mondays as in the past. You have the opportunity to truly help your clients transform their organizations - which not only feels good but gives credibility to the organization as whole.

Cons

This is a work hard/play hard environment. I only say this for some the work/life balance reviews below. This is not a job when you check in at 9 and out at 5 with a set lunch break and are only here to collect a paycheck - your effort contributes to the growth of the organization and to those around you. Do I check email on nights/weekends? Yes. I was also brought up to understand that success requires hard work and anything done well takes time. This is not a con.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

One of the best organizations I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Research Director
    Current Employee - Research Director

I have been working at SiriusDecisions full-time

Pros

I don't typically write reviews, but I felt compelled to after reading the last review...

Amazing Leadership that is smart, passionate (& compassionate), generous, trustworthy, committed and creating a terrific culture.

Research Analysts bring wealth of specialized experiences; trying to push the envelope on thought-leadership/IP while also focusing on pragmatic execution. Approachable, non-threatening and "partners" to their clients - not talking to them, but rather with them (and learning from them as well).

Dedicated Sales teams works tirelessly for their customers. They're learning from one of the best in Rich.

Growing company supports lots of opportunities for creativity and flexibility (e.g. constructing new on-boarding/training programs, building new deliverables, creating new service areas, establishing new offerings, etc.).

Strong respected brand with world-class customers.

Cons

We work hard (is that a con?). But no harder than any other company with aggressive growth. No one sugarcoated it and said it was a 9-5 job during my interview process. In fact, it's inspiring.

As we are growing quickly, at times we don't do things perfectly but from what I've seen, we have implemented many of our own tools/methodologies, processes, etc. I'm confident that as we continue to learn and grow we will focus on the areas that are most critical, given our resources at the time.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the spirit and culture that is the DNA of SiriusDecisions as we enter this next phase of our growth. Keep demonstrating the commitment and loyalty to your employees, customers and partners - and we'll keep working our asses off alongside of you.