SiriusXM

Updated December 3, 2014
3.3

SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer
James E. Meyer

Pros
  • it was a nice work environment with a steady pace (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours, laid back, able to work home (depending on department) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Worked hard, managers loved me and really thought I was going to get the full time conversion (in 7 reviews)

• The work/life balance is non-existant for many departments (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Growth focused, going strong!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sales and revenue driven organization. You can make a difference in your programs and overall performance of the company. Good befits, rewards for doing your job well.

Cons

Internal systems are inadequate and need much improvement.

Focus on developing the internal systems necessary to continue to grow the company. Listen to mid-level employees better.

learned a lot, i was only a music programming intern but i felt like i was part of the team

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

it was quite the experience to be working in the city and in live radio, i was learning as often as i was enjoying myself

Cons

the commute could be rough, and interning doesnt necessarily mean that you'll land a job there

Great place to work

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology with very smart people

Cons

disorganization between groups sharing information

Excellent Entertainment Company - Fun, Intelligent Environment

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, exciting culture with great benefits, Everyone loves the product. Very smart people working across the company. The best of its kind in content.

Cons

Very hard to move up with your career especially in mid-level. Little ability to move across depts. Hard to move up in compensation.

Management did a good job over all but think of employee retention.

IT is Chaos

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security is great. Its extremely hard to get fired here and people are very understanding of mistakes. Good vacation and work from home policy. Fair to good pay. If you are at the peak or twilight of your career and/or want a good stable income to provide for your family, this is the place.

Cons

Ask about the human resources retention manager if you go in for an interview. There has been high turnover for this position. This is very symbolic of the lack of attention and resources devoted to improving their staff. Chaotic work environment driven by impatience, bureaucracy and fear. If you're a young ambitious, maybe creative type. This is not the place for you and getting promoted requires patience and doing lots of grunt work.

Take a deep breath and relax, everything will be ok. There is no need for 75% of the 'fire drills' that are done. Also, take pride in your work. Sometimes what the upper management wants is not what is best and its your job to convince them of that. You can play it safe and be a 'Yes Man'; but look around you. All of the chaos, confusion and half-baked projects that begets other half-baked projects that you are doing work on Saturday mornings are because of this. Also, you're not in the position you are in because you're smart or the best at your trade. You may actually be managing an IT department without ever doing IT in your life. Listen to your employees and fight for them because ultimately they're the ones that have to live and deal with the decisions. This not to insult you but to humble you when making decisions.

Clueless Middle Management

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy... so long as you don't want to actually do anything. Good place if it is your first job because you will be doing everything. The people there who are trying to do something creative and productive; the old pros who know what they are doing.

Cons

Heavy on the middle management whose aim is to not do anything; appalling inter-departmental communication; zero direction from manager(s); entirely possible the only people who know you work there are the security guys and receptionist.

Cut out your middle management or at least hire people to do more than fill out roster sheets.

Interns get treated poorly

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I wore whatever I wanted to work and basically didn't get bothered while doing my work, I wore whatever I wanted to work and basically didn't get bothered while doing my work

Cons

My work consisted of nothing more than just editing audio and never getting any thanks or anything for it, eh, I guess you live and you learn

MIcromanaging by Email and Meeting hell !

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All depends on your department and manager! If you work in the main building, then its all fun and games, and excitement, other buildings.... Bland, boring, no excitement, no employee interaction, jut sit down, work and go home.
    Flexible hours, laid back, able to work home (depending on department).

Cons

Don't see any direction and/or possibilities on how to move anywhere in the company. Everyone is always looking to kiss butt, TOO MANY USELESS MEETINGS and too much MICRO MANAGEMENT by using emails. Too much followup and less work. Forget about work culture, some employees will talk to you while others stay away.
    I've even seen members in same team argue about duties and responsibilities and cry over if someone tries to help.

This is useless as they won't read nor take action, but they need to loosen up, buy a DAMN building so all employees are together! I remember when I was hired I had 20 minute orientation and throw in position. Previous jobs I had 1 week company introduction and training, paid lunches , etc.

Great experience, no full time conversion

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great opportunities, and had a chance to get hands on experience in a lot of aspects of the company.

Cons

Worked hard, managers loved me and really thought I was going to get the full time conversion. But did not.

There seems to be a disconnect between the recruiting team and the rest of the company.

Positive Experience at leading Entertainment Company

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience in the entertainment/radio industry while getting the chance to rub elbows with actors, musicians, athletes, etc. Laid back, creative environment.

Cons

Use unpaid interns rather than hire entry-level employees. Not much opportunity for advancement.

Invest in your interns.