SiriusXM Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
3.5

SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer
James E. Meyer

Pros
  • it was a nice work environment with a steady pace (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours, laid back, able to work home (depending on department) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Worked hard, managers loved me and really thought I was going to get the full time conversion (in 7 reviews)

• The work/life balance is non-existant for many departments (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Entertainment Company - Fun, Intelligent Environment

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, exciting culture with great benefits, Everyone loves the product. Very smart people working across the company. The best of its kind in content.

Cons

Very hard to move up with your career especially in mid-level. Little ability to move across depts. Hard to move up in compensation.

Management did a good job over all but think of employee retention.

A lot to learn at a competitive pace. Exciting environment

I have been working at SiriusXM as an intern

Pros

Had an internship there during the Spring. Mentor was great so I learned a lot. Free drinks and coffee is a plus. Awesome people.

Cons

Facilities/studios are good but a few hiccups here and there.

IT is Chaos

Former Employee - Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job security is great. Its extremely hard to get fired here and people are very understanding of mistakes. Good vacation and work from home policy. Fair to good pay. If you are at the peak or twilight of your career and/or want a good stable income to provide for your family, this is the place.

Cons

Ask about the human resources retention manager if you go in for an interview. There has been high turnover for this position. This is very symbolic of the lack of attention and resources devoted to improving their staff. Chaotic work environment driven by impatience, bureaucracy and fear. If you're a young ambitious, maybe creative type. This is not the place for you and getting promoted requires patience and doing lots of grunt work.

Take a deep breath and relax, everything will be ok. There is no need for 75% of the 'fire drills' that are done. Also, take pride in your work. Sometimes what the upper management wants is not what is best and its your job to convince them of that. You can play it safe and be a 'Yes Man'; but look around you. All of the chaos, confusion and half-baked projects that begets other half-baked projects that you are doing work on Saturday mornings are because of this. Also, you're not in the position you are in because you're smart or the best at your trade. You may actually be managing an IT department without ever doing IT in your life. Listen to your employees and fight for them because ultimately they're the ones that have to live and deal with the decisions. This not to insult you but to humble you when making decisions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interns get treated poorly

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I wore whatever I wanted to work and basically didn't get bothered while doing my work, I wore whatever I wanted to work and basically didn't get bothered while doing my work

Cons

My work consisted of nothing more than just editing audio and never getting any thanks or anything for it, eh, I guess you live and you learn

MIcromanaging by Email and Meeting hell !

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All depends on your department and manager! If you work in the main building, then its all fun and games, and excitement, other buildings.... Bland, boring, no excitement, no employee interaction, jut sit down, work and go home.
    Flexible hours, laid back, able to work home (depending on department).

Cons

Don't see any direction and/or possibilities on how to move anywhere in the company. Everyone is always looking to kiss butt, TOO MANY USELESS MEETINGS and too much MICRO MANAGEMENT by using emails. Too much followup and less work. Forget about work culture, some employees will talk to you while others stay away.
    I've even seen members in same team argue about duties and responsibilities and cry over if someone tries to help.

This is useless as they won't read nor take action, but they need to loosen up, buy a DAMN building so all employees are together! I remember when I was hired I had 20 minute orientation and throw in position. Previous jobs I had 1 week company introduction and training, paid lunches , etc.

Great experience, no full time conversion

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, great opportunities, and had a chance to get hands on experience in a lot of aspects of the company.

Cons

Worked hard, managers loved me and really thought I was going to get the full time conversion. But did not.

There seems to be a disconnect between the recruiting team and the rest of the company.

The Times They Are a Changin'

I worked at SiriusXM

Pros

Being part of an industry leader.

Cons

Office environment has changed since the merger. No longer about a creative culture. Employees are ruled by fear of losing their jobs.

Understand that your employees are just as important as your subscription numbers.

This company had their act together.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SiriusXM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best decision making processes I've seen in my career were at Sirius XM. Respectable salaries and fun product to be a part of.

Cons

At the time, no formal in-house training program for new hires or junior employees at the sites I worked.

Clueless Middle Management

Former Employee - Producer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy... so long as you don't want to actually do anything. Good place if it is your first job because you will be doing everything. The people there who are trying to do something creative and productive; the old pros who know what they are doing.

Cons

Heavy on the middle management whose aim is to not do anything; appalling inter-departmental communication; zero direction from manager(s); entirely possible the only people who know you work there are the security guys and receptionist.

Cut out your middle management or at least hire people to do more than fill out roster sheets.

Positive Experience at leading Entertainment Company

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great experience in the entertainment/radio industry while getting the chance to rub elbows with actors, musicians, athletes, etc. Laid back, creative environment.

Cons

Use unpaid interns rather than hire entry-level employees. Not much opportunity for advancement.

Invest in your interns.

Worked for SiriusXM? Contribute to the Community!