SiriusXM Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
3.5

SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer
James E. Meyer

Pros
  • it was a nice work environment with a steady pace (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours, laid back, able to work home (depending on department) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Worked hard, managers loved me and really thought I was going to get the full time conversion (in 7 reviews)

• The work/life balance is non-existant for many departments (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Clueless Middle Management

Former Employee - Producer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy... so long as you don't want to actually do anything. Good place if it is your first job because you will be doing everything. The people there who are trying to do something creative and productive; the old pros who know what they are doing.

Cons

Heavy on the middle management whose aim is to not do anything; appalling inter-departmental communication; zero direction from manager(s); entirely possible the only people who know you work there are the security guys and receptionist.

Cut out your middle management or at least hire people to do more than fill out roster sheets.

They have a long way to go...

Former Employee - Infrastructure  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Infrastructure in Irving, TX

I worked at SiriusXM as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers/management are decent to your face.

Cons

Training, documentation, direction, management, teamwork, support.

Not all groups are like the one in this review. Outside of the scope of this review, Sirius XM can be a rewarding place to work, just not for this group:

Management was too concerned perusing romantic interests with female personnel not under their direction to provide an adequate overview or specifics as to the needs of Sirius XM and the configuration of their network gear. Scopes unclear speaks to the number of changes in the projects (mid-projects) that should have been discussed in the beginning, then brought to attention 2 days before deployment. They don't take suggestions or direction well, and refuse to work in any "best practices" type of environment. When questions are asked, they are not fully understood or not cared to be listened to, receiving responses otherwise unrelated to the initial question. Lastly, members outside the infrastructure team know more about your performance than you do. Even when asked, they will be less than honest up front and talk about you when they think you're not there. Maybe too much estrogen in the water. The 2 guys part of infrastructure work so well together they forget you even exist. Members bring ammo to work and discuss between each other, while loading their handgun clips, as an intimidation tactic, very unprofessional. What happened to no guns in the work place? I didn't feel very safe working there.

Worked there for more than 7 weekes and interacted with 3 people total

Current Employee - Sports Programming Board Operator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sports Programming Board Operator in Washington, DC

I have been working at SiriusXM part-time for less than a year

Pros

Convenient office location
    Excellent facilities
    Quiet atmosphere

Cons

Subversive, adversarial work culture - many are still bitter from layoffs after SIrius and XM merger
    No sense of camaraderie
    Virtually no room for advancement

Your part-time employees make a large share of the workforce in the DC headquarters. Engage them and develop to become valuable talent within the organization. The place is full with middle managers who couldn't care less who is working for them week to week, so long as the place is staffed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Conflicted Past with Lots of Promise, and a Future Ripe for Reinvention

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time

Pros

People who *loved* and really knew music ran the channels and interviewed the musicians. The promise from the beginning was that Sirius would be the best of both commercial *and* public radio — musically diverse, intelligently programmed, no insipid advertising disturbing the crafted flow — yet it would go well beyond, to redefine radio as we knew it. Some of that ethic presumably remains if others can vouch for it.

Cons

Upper management and likely some administrators focused seemingly singularly on scrambling to secure investors and in the process relinquished the mission they started out with — and the very reason for its existence. They talked a good game of expectations and cheerleading. Hosts, programmers and producers wisely saw through it and campaigned and fought to do better than was being asked of them.

Still, bit by bit, the most talented, capable and creative were relegated to being mere employees: diminished in their capacities or eventually moved out. In short order, Sirius became just another mediocre corporate entity and listeners largely got the same-old-same-old.

While the past decade-plus has seen changes and arguable progress, the losses of those early years in morale and squandered customer loyalty seeped into the very fabric of the company's operations; whether those stains and managerial rhetoric from those early days have been expunged is uncertain.

Revisit the mission at square one. And with the advantage of hindsight since launching those satellites — through the technological revolution that has brought us the iPhone and iPad, Twitter and Facebook, SoundCloud and Spotify — reinvent radio in the context of this rapidly evolving age of mobile, apps, video, on-demand and social media. Think like a Silicon Valley/Alley startup — and hire some of those same people. You may not even be relevant anymore yet if you realign with the real world you may surprise yourselves and all of us who still hope for so much more; for that original promise.

Frustrating. Management turnover. limited support and weak strategy

Former Employee - Ad Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, interesting programming, live concerts

Cons

Lack of solid research and foolish expectations

Develop a relationship with an outside research firm to validate audience delivery.

phony phone call artist

Current Employee - Segment Producer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Segment Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I get to work with my best friend

Cons

slave like environment, my boss belittles me every chance he gets. everything is veiled in secrecy. My boss takes all the marbles so there isn't any budget for the show. We don't get paid for extra work

Dump the high cost talent, Howard Stern, Oprah, Martha Stewart, etc, concentrate on true radio talent instead

Mediocrity in the Middle of Nowhere

I have been working at SiriusXM for more than a year

Pros

It's a very strong brand, and it's very low-stress work. They allow a lot of employees to work remote, and even part-time.

Cons

The pace is very slow, and unless you can take a slow pace, it's hard. The office is in NoMa, and as of writing there is not a lot near the office. If you need to do something in downtown DC, plan a two hour lunch.

New Product...Archaic Culture

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at SiriusXM

Pros

1 free radio while you are an employee.
    Good base pay
    Free parking on site
    On site gym
    On site cafeteria

Cons

You would think with such a hip and new product as satellite radio the company would also be equally new age, not the case. Its hard to believe that a company that is so new already used the "thats the way it is" mentality. They made the grave error of believeing that just because someone knows the product that entitles them to a position of management. From what I saw front line managers are more concerned with dollars and cents than the rapport with its staff and buidling a team environment. Training doesn't exist so be ready to be thrown to the wolves and hope you get it. Walking through the buidling is like walking through a company that has gone/going through layoffs. With the exception of the DJ's no one really talk to one another and just sit at their desk waiting completing their duties and waiting for the day to end.

I read these reviews before I took the job so I was warned, but I did not think it would be as bad as it was...not a healthy place to work. The salary is great...but thats how the hook you. However every day is a worry of saving every little penny. Don't get fooled like me, because there is nowhere to go once you get in.

I would take less money elsewhere than to return to return to work there.

Make an efffort to onboard your staff instead of just telling them what they have to do. Help build a envirorment of rapport and of team instead of everyone for themself. Avoid the us and them, even after the merger two very distinct products (XM and Sirius) exist and doesn't make one believe that a merger even occured.

terrible work environment

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM

Pros

If you have absolutely no work experience and are desperate for an internship, it's not too difficult to find one here - after all, you're unpaid, you won't have too much competition

Cons

This isn't a learning environment - people come to work here to get their stuff done and go home. Forget helping each other out. I've spoken to full-time employees who constantly have to wait hours and hours for their managers to show up in order to get their work done - meaning they end up staying at the office much later than the average employee. Employees are just concerned for themselves, and have very little interest in the company.

If you're not going to pay your interns, treat them better. Free soda does not make up for the lack of learning, training, or respect that interns deal with.

Working there is like hitting the glass ceiling early in your career and being expected to not want to breakthrough.

Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Board Op  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Producer/Board Op in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM

Pros

- Enthused co-workers who enjoy what they do
    - Relaxed dress code & free beverages/snacks
    - Free market for creativity for the sake of improving the quality of a broadcast
    - Meet/Seeing celebs, artists, & athletes
    - Will honestly learn the basics of radio and more if willing to take initiative

Cons

- Will never be paid what your actually worth
    - Will be overworked and bombarded w/ the work of others in your dept if you're an efficient employee
    - Disconnect between Senior Management, Mid-Management, and general staff
    - There's a strong political/clique-ish quality about the company which hinders cross platform development
    - Most people will advance ahead of others b/c of personal preference
    - Is not the most diverse workplace for minorities and women
    - Raises/bonuses generally aren't worth the effort put into achieving them

The company's board of directors need to completely clean house in Senior Management and find people who value the importance of the true machine behind SiriusXM, which are the employees on both the business and production side. Not the overpaid jocks who blatantly disrespect the company and it's brand when things don't their way for their own monetary gain.

Worked for SiriusXM? Contribute to the Community!