SiriusXM

Be The First To
Add Photos

SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer

James E. Meyer

Pros
  • Summer Hours, laid back atmosphere(in 6 reviews)

• it was a nice work environment with a steady pace(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is non-existant for many departments(in 4 reviews)

• Didnt get a full time conversion(in 6 reviews)

Worked there for more than 7 weekes and interacted with 3 people total

Sports Programming Board Operator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsConvenient office location
    Excellent facilities
    Quiet atmosphere

ConsSubversive, adversarial work culture - many are still bitter from layoffs after SIrius and XM merger
    No sense of camaraderie
    Virtually no room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementYour part-time employees make a large share of the workforce in the DC headquarters. Engage them and develop to become valuable talent within the organization. The place is full with middle managers who couldn't care less who is working for them week to week, so long as the place is staffed.

A Conflicted Past with Lots of Promise, and a Future Ripe for Reinvention

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople who *loved* and really knew music ran the channels and interviewed the musicians. The promise from the beginning was that Sirius would be the best of both commercial *and* public radio — musically diverse, intelligently programmed, no insipid advertising disturbing the crafted flow — yet it would go well beyond, to redefine radio as we knew it. Some of that ethic presumably remains if others can vouch for it.

ConsUpper management and likely some administrators focused seemingly singularly on scrambling to secure investors and in the process relinquished the mission they started out with — and the very reason for its existence. They talked a good game of expectations and cheerleading. Hosts, programmers and producers wisely saw through it and campaigned and fought to do better than was being asked of them.

Still, bit by bit, the most talented, capable and creative were relegated to being mere employees: diminished in their capacities or eventually moved out. In short order, Sirius became just another mediocre corporate entity and listeners largely got the same-old-same-old.

While the past decade-plus has seen changes and arguable progress, the losses of those early years in morale and squandered customer loyalty seeped into the very fabric of the company's operations; whether those stains and managerial rhetoric from those early days have been expunged is uncertain.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit the mission at square one. And with the advantage of hindsight since launching those satellites — through the technological revolution that has brought us the iPhone and iPad, Twitter and Facebook, SoundCloud and Spotify — reinvent radio in the context of this rapidly evolving age of mobile, apps, video, on-demand and social media. Think like a Silicon Valley/Alley startup — and hire some of those same people. You may not even be relevant anymore yet if you realign with the real world you may surprise yourselves and all of us who still hope for so much more; for that original promise.

Frustrating. Management turnover. limited support and weak strategy

Ad Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood people, interesting programming, live concerts

ConsLack of solid research and foolish expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a relationship with an outside research firm to validate audience delivery.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

phony phone call artist

Segment Producer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI get to work with my best friend

Consslave like environment, my boss belittles me every chance he gets. everything is veiled in secrecy. My boss takes all the marbles so there isn't any budget for the show. We don't get paid for extra work

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the high cost talent, Howard Stern, Oprah, Martha Stewart, etc, concentrate on true radio talent instead

Mediocrity in the Middle of Nowhere

ProsIt's a very strong brand, and it's very low-stress work. They allow a lot of employees to work remote, and even part-time.

ConsThe pace is very slow, and unless you can take a slow pace, it's hard. The office is in NoMa, and as of writing there is not a lot near the office. If you need to do something in downtown DC, plan a two hour lunch.

New Product...Archaic Culture

Program Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros1 free radio while you are an employee.
    Good base pay
    Free parking on site
    On site gym
    On site cafeteria

ConsYou would think with such a hip and new product as satellite radio the company would also be equally new age, not the case. Its hard to believe that a company that is so new already used the "thats the way it is" mentality. They made the grave error of believeing that just because someone knows the product that entitles them to a position of management. From what I saw front line managers are more concerned with dollars and cents than the rapport with its staff and buidling a team environment. Training doesn't exist so be ready to be thrown to the wolves and hope you get it. Walking through the buidling is like walking through a company that has gone/going through layoffs. With the exception of the DJ's no one really talk to one another and just sit at their desk waiting completing their duties and waiting for the day to end.

I read these reviews before I took the job so I was warned, but I did not think it would be as bad as it was...not a healthy place to work. The salary is great...but thats how the hook you. However every day is a worry of saving every little penny. Don't get fooled like me, because there is nowhere to go once you get in.

I would take less money elsewhere than to return to return to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an efffort to onboard your staff instead of just telling them what they have to do. Help build a envirorment of rapport and of team instead of everyone for themself. Avoid the us and them, even after the merger two very distinct products (XM and Sirius) exist and doesn't make one believe that a merger even occured.

terrible work environment

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you have absolutely no work experience and are desperate for an internship, it's not too difficult to find one here - after all, you're unpaid, you won't have too much competition

ConsThis isn't a learning environment - people come to work here to get their stuff done and go home. Forget helping each other out. I've spoken to full-time employees who constantly have to wait hours and hours for their managers to show up in order to get their work done - meaning they end up staying at the office much later than the average employee. Employees are just concerned for themselves, and have very little interest in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not going to pay your interns, treat them better. Free soda does not make up for the lack of learning, training, or respect that interns deal with.

Working there is like hitting the glass ceiling early in your career and being expected to not want to breakthrough.

Assistant Producer/Board Op (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Enthused co-workers who enjoy what they do
    - Relaxed dress code & free beverages/snacks
    - Free market for creativity for the sake of improving the quality of a broadcast
    - Meet/Seeing celebs, artists, & athletes
    - Will honestly learn the basics of radio and more if willing to take initiative

Cons- Will never be paid what your actually worth
    - Will be overworked and bombarded w/ the work of others in your dept if you're an efficient employee
    - Disconnect between Senior Management, Mid-Management, and general staff
    - There's a strong political/clique-ish quality about the company which hinders cross platform development
    - Most people will advance ahead of others b/c of personal preference
    - Is not the most diverse workplace for minorities and women
    - Raises/bonuses generally aren't worth the effort put into achieving them

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's board of directors need to completely clean house in Senior Management and find people who value the importance of the true machine behind SiriusXM, which are the employees on both the business and production side. Not the overpaid jocks who blatantly disrespect the company and it's brand when things don't their way for their own monetary gain.

Time to leave or get layed off

Proscasual work environment, media company, fun people

Consmerger integration, cost cutting, job insecurity

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people right

Good Salaries, Poor Morale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalaries are fair to good, as are the benefits. Great opportunity to see, hear and work with very talented artists.

ConsDysfunctional management and internal rivalries turn mid/junior level employees into pawns. No gender or racial diversity in senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make themselves aware of accepted workplace culture, and hire more women and minorities in senior positions.

Worked for SiriusXM? Contribute to the Community!