SirsiDynix

SirsiDynix Reviews

Updated May 6, 2014

SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison

Bill Davison

Pros:
  • "They do a great job of creating a challenging work environment that is still fun and enjoyable"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Average work/life balance - at best"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "As soon as the new products are out, it will be better"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Everyone should work somewhere as awesome as SirsiDynix!

ProsIt is easy to come to work because of the wonderful people on my team.

Many opportunities for growth.

Admirable leadership and great atmosphere.

ConsI wish there wasn't so much training, but I understand the importance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving your employees feedback on their performance.

Good Company

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

ProsCompany atmosphere, people, awesome customers, internal promotions

ConsDevelopment is slow. As soon as the new products are out, it will be better. Some of the owner decisions/policies are rather odd and difficult for our type of company. I hear it was worse in the past, but seems to have gotten better.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe comp plan for sales is pretty confusing and often invites unhealthy competition, rather than constructive competition, between inside and outside sales reps.

Great Company

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Lehi, UT

ProsThe people and work environment. Challenging work and great relationships with colleagues make this company great. SiriDynix has a great team.

ConsHealth insurance is slightly high.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making your employees happy

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was once a good company, then it sold out.

Tech Writer and Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsFor about 9 years, it was a great company to work for.

ConsIn my ninth year there, the company sold out, and the layoffs commenced. Customers became dissatisfied and the new management micromanaged everybody. In time, the office where I worked laid off all 200+ employees and the office closed entirely.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that now, where the company still exists in some form that layoffs occur like clockwork. Are you simply hiring people for low pay and then laying them off so that you can hire replacements at low pay? That's the impression I've been given by what I've read. I hope you have stopped micro-managing everything withe the excuse that you are utilizing Agile and scrum techniques.

Fun Ride

Senior Field Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Lehi, UT

ProsGreat people with a solid product vision. Bright outlook for new employees. Excellent upper management.

ConsToo many bridges have been burned by mostly former executives. The company needs a solid finished product delivered soon to hush the naysayers. The competition is unfairly staffed with former employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the product vision going to reach the completion of the product. Get the software out to the market, so you won't have to worry about the competitors. Don't step over the rusty coins to pick up the shiny new penny.

7th best midsized company in the US? Really?

Lehi, UT

Pros- People you work with are great. Average work/life balance - at best.

- Ping pong/pool table/foosball in break room - fairly common for tech company.

- Food can be had - for a price - on site.

- Hiring a lot of new people, and long standing company (30 years in business)

Cons- 4 CEOs in the last 4 years. 4 HR managers in the last 4 years. Meddling middle managers.

- No career path at all. Overly tedious/ nonsensical "mandatory" trainings.

- Insurance package is horrible. Not enough bad thing I can say about the insurance offered here.

- Fractured company policies and hierarchy. Vast separation between staff of varying levels.

- Ridiculously antiquated code. Refuse to move to newer coding standards.

- Never end of life a product.

Advice to Senior Management- Actually take employee feedback into account - you ask for it.

- Create a career path.

- Promote "grow from within" mentality.

- Stop talking like you are 25 years old, just to say cool.

Flag Review
    SirsiDynix Recruiting Manager responded to this review Mar 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your comments. It’s unfortunate that your experience has been very atypical of most of our employees. As you can see from the plethora of other great reviews, most employees have an ... More

Employee morale is a focal point.

ProsSirsidynix, since their move to the new office building in Lehi, has taken great strides towards making sure their employees are taken care of with both in-office perks, extraordinary benefits, and through supervisory/subordinate reaching out. For the first time in my career, it really feels like a company really cares about the employee rather than us just being another number on a spreadsheet.

Internal staff are friendly, willing to help each other, and the office atmosphere is one of the best around. They have internal competitions like miniature golfing, video game, pool, and table tennis championships. Don't forget the golden golf putter!

Sirsidynix is also invested in their products. They are making significant leaps ahead of the competitive technology within the market. They are employing lots of new development staff to work on new and innovating software that will impress the marketplace for years to come.

ConsSirsidynix is owned by a private equity firm which could mean higher turnover at times, and due to the nature of private equity, there is also a bit of uncertainty in which the ownership will evolve down the road.

Sirsidynix is definitely not in automatic mode right now. There's a lot of new technology so the employees are working hard to keep up with supporting it. There often also can be times where internal communication could be lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that inter-department communication regarding software and philosophy would greatly help the efficiency of supporting said software.

One of the Best Employers I've Ever Worked For...

Lehi, UT

Pros- Fantastic work environment, great breakrooms, relaxation rooms, gym in building, fun events and parties.
    - Excellent advancement opportunities
    - Great benefits, 401k w/matching, HSA Matching, Adoption Assistance, etc.
    - Family friendly
    - Willing to take chances on good candidates
    - Wonderful Managers, very professional **see Cons

I seriously love working here, the only reason I put any cons is for full disclosure.

Cons- Health Insurance is High Deductible/HSA
    - Actual pay is not as high as other companies, however the fringe benefits make this a bit more of a meh than a con
    - Performance Reviews are arbitrary and inconsistent
    - Lack of professional development for employees, advanced training and skills improvement

**Some managers are clueless and lack leadership skills

Advice to Senior ManagementAs often as we are asked to review our peers and we are reviewed. It would be nice if there were some bottom up reviews of supervisors, managers and department heads.

Best decision I ever made

ProsGreat people to work with from the executives down through the rank and file. Everyone is committed to the common goal of providing the best library user experience and this focus shows.

ConsDevelopment is in the process of creating a next generation Integrated Library System. This process takes time but it will greatly benefit our users and the company in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job. Keep your focus on the library user and we will continue to see great success.

My kids would rate SirsiDynix with 5 stars

Sales Trainer (Current Employee)
    Lehi, UT

ProsThere have been many family focused activities throughout the year. From movies to trick or treating, to a wonderful Christmas Party with Santa just for the kids, all have been a hit. SirsiDynix realizes that it is more than just making the work life of the employee enjoyable, but making sure the whole family is happy. My kids think I work in the coolest place and I would agree.

ConsNot having Diet Mountain Dew onsite. Every company I have worked for has problems, but SirsiDynix strives to constantly improve.

Worked for SirsiDynix? Contribute to the Community!

SirsiDynix Videos

SirsiDynix – Why Work for Us?

Ingenuity wasn't born overnight. For more than 30 years, libraries have used SirsiDynix technologies to bring the power of their collections to their communities. Our story began when Northwestern University developed a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SirsiDynix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison . All 55 reviews posted anonymously by SirsiDynix employees.