SirsiDynix Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

4.6

SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • They do a great job of creating a challenging work environment that is still fun and enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Average work/life balance - at best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • As soon as the new products are out, it will be better (in 3 reviews)

• Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very accommodating to my needs as I do what I can to be a hard worker for the company.

Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst  in  Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company gives you the opportunity to be trained and coached on skills that you might not have acquired in your career. The atmosphere here is not stressful, but we all work together to be successful.

Cons

Making an industry change cost me as far as pay is concerned. I will be able to learn what I can and then increase the dynamics that will be competitive for my future career.

Improving training opportunities.

Surround yourself with some of the smartest people on the planet...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time for less than a year

Pros

All of the people I interact with want to innovate and continue to grow in their profession. Management provides significant opportunities for you to grow your skill set by giving you opportunities that will push you. SirsiDynix provides an environment that supports the growth and improvement of their people.

Cons

If you like to just show up to work and collect a paycheck, I would move on and apply somewhere else. If you take professional development seriously and see yourself in roles with continued increases in responsibility over the years, then SirsiDynix is the place for you.

Bill Davison and his team do an exceptional job at making employees feel valued. Members of the executive management team, including David King, Sheridan Richey, Scott Wheelhouse, Berit Nelson, and Eric Keith, are all approachable and listen to suggestions for improvement.

Variance.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of great developers at the company. The teammates make it a great place to work. Nice office, good location. Good game room. Increasingly positive outlook. Great opportunities to learn technology and grow skills. A broad range of technologies and skill sets to learn.

Cons

Poor management. Sometimes poor mentoring, training, and career development. Too many management changes. Micro-management problems. Hiring people below average pay (retention/turnover). Recovering from layoffs and losing many senior developers. Old and dirty code bases on some projects.

Train managers better or hire better; and give them smaller teams so they can be focused and in-tune with team. Hire managers with better technical background and better mentoring/guiding skills. Actively train lead developers on mentoring skills and leadership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone should work somewhere as awesome as SirsiDynix!

I have been working at SirsiDynix for more than a year

Pros

It is easy to come to work because of the wonderful people on my team.

Many opportunities for growth.

Admirable leadership and great atmosphere.

Cons

I wish there wasn't so much training, but I understand the importance.

Keep giving your employees feedback on their performance.

Good Company

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Company atmosphere, people, awesome customers, internal promotions

Cons

Development is slow. As soon as the new products are out, it will be better. Some of the owner decisions/policies are rather odd and difficult for our type of company. I hear it was worse in the past, but seems to have gotten better.

The comp plan for sales is pretty confusing and often invites unhealthy competition, rather than constructive competition, between inside and outside sales reps.

Great Company

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and work environment. Challenging work and great relationships with colleagues make this company great. SiriDynix has a great team.

Cons

Health insurance is slightly high.

Keep making your employees happy

7th best midsized company in the US? Really?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People you work with are great. Average work/life balance - at best.

- Ping pong/pool table/foosball in break room - fairly common for tech company.

- Food can be had - for a price - on site.

- Hiring a lot of new people, and long standing company (30 years in business)

Cons

- 4 CEOs in the last 4 years. 4 HR managers in the last 4 years. Meddling middle managers.

- No career path at all. Overly tedious/ nonsensical "mandatory" trainings.

- Insurance package is horrible. Not enough bad thing I can say about the insurance offered here.

- Fractured company policies and hierarchy. Vast separation between staff of varying levels.

- Ridiculously antiquated code. Refuse to move to newer coding standards.

- Never end of life a product.

- Actually take employee feedback into account - you ask for it.

- Create a career path.

- Promote "grow from within" mentality.

- Stop talking like you are 25 years old, just to say cool.

SirsiDynix Response

Mar 27, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. It’s unfortunate that your experience has been very atypical of most of our employees. As you can see from the plethora of other great reviews, most employees have an ... More

Was once a good company, then it sold out.

Former Employee - Tech Writer and Software Test Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Tech Writer and Software Test Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For about 9 years, it was a great company to work for.

Cons

In my ninth year there, the company sold out, and the layoffs commenced. Customers became dissatisfied and the new management micromanaged everybody. In time, the office where I worked laid off all 200+ employees and the office closed entirely.

I understand that now, where the company still exists in some form that layoffs occur like clockwork. Are you simply hiring people for low pay and then laying them off so that you can hire replacements at low pay? That's the impression I've been given by what I've read. I hope you have stopped micro-managing everything withe the excuse that you are utilizing Agile and scrum techniques.

Fun Ride

Current Employee - Senior Field Sales Consultant  in  Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Field Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people with a solid product vision. Bright outlook for new employees. Excellent upper management.

Cons

Too many bridges have been burned by mostly former executives. The company needs a solid finished product delivered soon to hush the naysayers. The competition is unfairly staffed with former employees.

Keep the product vision going to reach the completion of the product. Get the software out to the market, so you won't have to worry about the competitors. Don't step over the rusty coins to pick up the shiny new penny.

Best decision I ever made

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with from the executives down through the rank and file. Everyone is committed to the common goal of providing the best library user experience and this focus shows.

Cons

Development is in the process of creating a next generation Integrated Library System. This process takes time but it will greatly benefit our users and the company in the long run.

You are doing a great job. Keep your focus on the library user and we will continue to see great success.

Worked for SirsiDynix? Contribute to the Community!