SirsiDynix

Updated October 24, 2014
4.2

SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • They do a great job of creating a challenging work environment that is still fun and enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Average work/life balance - at best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions (in 3 reviews)

• As soon as the new products are out, it will be better (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy "Customer"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SirsiDynix is a big company that manages a pretty laid-back feel. They really do hire the best people, which makes it that much easier to come to work every day. Recruiting does a great job recognizing talent and helping employees apply for internal job openings. Many positions have flexible schedules and some offer work-from-home options. The employee reward system is a nice perk and we can exchange our vouchers for company merchandise or gift cards online. SirsiDynix and its management have high ethical standards--if you've ever been at a company without them, you can appreciate this! I hope to be working here for a long time.

Cons

The Lehi office has been crowded lately but this is just due to the growth in development lately. They say it will be better once we expand into more office space by the end of this year.

Although the executives are very busy, they are always surprisingly approachable and easy to talk to.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! You are correct that it has been crowded, but we are now (as of Oct 24th) only a few weeks away from taking over our new, additional office space ... More

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my 15+ year work experience, I've been at several companies, and this is the place where I feel most at home. It is created by a management team who care about the employees and customers. The VPs and Execs are personable and friendly in interactions with each other and with us "grunts" (but they don't make us feel like we're just grunts). They promote activities and company events at least once a quarter to make sure our families can be involved and to remind us how important we each are. The culture of the company has changed drastically since I first started working here over 5 years ago from a down and scared feeling to an upbeat and fun atmosphere. We're not expected to work long hours, our department's (engineering) philosophy is work hard and play hard. We've had game nights and a lunch celebration for meeting goals and an annual party away from the office for celebrating all our accomplishments. I love working in a place where I feel like my voice is heard and valued. The renewed focus on agile development process and with bringing in full-time Scrum Masters for each of the development teams has also been an incredible boon.

Cons

I don't find that I have many negatives to say about SirsiDynix now. A few years ago there were issues, but those have been mostly addressed and we are much better as a company for having had to go through those problems. It can get a bit noisy in some areas of the office so that working is difficult without some really good headphones or an office door to shut. But the camaraderie is also a benefit, so I'm not sure how they could improve on that. It would be nice if there were some lead developer positions to take some of the pressure off the Directors and to spread around leadership opportunities, but on the other hand, I'd rather they spent money on engineers to build awesome products instead of on middle managers.

Continue promoting from within and continue with the recognition program.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

WOW! That's great feedback and I am happy to see that you've had such a positive experience. The noise should lessen a bit once we take over our new space in November/December and move a few non-R&D ... More

It has been a great experience

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The challenge has been a great opportunity to grow as an employee. Great people to work with, Great customers and it is very nice working for a company that cares. The Management team listens and makes changes when needed. SirsiDynix is a great place to work.

Cons

can't go fast enough...past decisions from Sr. Management (5-7 years ago) had put the company in a bad situation

Keep going...the direction is working--Keep focused on the customers and employees.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

You have highlighted three of the most important aspects of working for SirsiDynix: our great people and leaders, awesome customers, and opportunities for professional growth. And, having been with ... More

Overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are really great. The management cares about you and wants you to succeed.

Cons

The hiring policy appears to be to only hire people with little to no previous experience. This has some advantages, but the engineering department suffers a little bit from not having more experienced people.

The next time we hire a lot of new engineers I think it would be very advantageous to bolster up the current teams until the new people have been trained and then split them into the smaller teams.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am happy to hear that your experience has been positive overall.

We do fill a majority of roles across the organization at an entry-level, or
    ... More

Terrible Development Department!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix (more than 10 years)

Pros

I think SirsiDynix has made EOS International a better place to work. I like Yimees, company fun days, and the ice bucket challenge. These things boost moral and made me feel like more of a team member. I like SirsiDynix's new hires. I have met the CEO of the company. He is the nicest man!

Cons

Unfortunately the cons over shadow the pros. Development has been impossible to work with. They try to segregate themselves from all other departments and sometimes are straight up just rude. I believe everyone in the company is part of a team, not just my department. But it has been a very negative and uncomfortable atmosphere. Helping each other is out of the realm of possibility.

I think development can rethink what it means to be a team. It is all about the people at work. They make the company. I have heard name calling and experienced the blame game. The scrum masters can be better trained. The position requires people skills so next time hire some people that actually have these skills. I will encourage coworkers to post reviews and update mine if things improve in the future. Thanks for reading my review!

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As a company, it is absolutely necessary for all of us to work together and be one team, even though some of us are in different offices on opposite ... More

A dinosaur

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people in the Utah facility are extremely pleasant and friendly. The office building is nice. The amenities for employees while at work are above average.

Cons

Horrible benefits. Low salary. Lied about compensation coming in. The products are poorly designed and implemented. Ownership is private equity so their just trying to make the company's bottom line look good for investors.

I don't know if there's anything that management can do. The equity firm that owns this company holds the purse strings and determines the company's future. Not a great situation for an employee to walk into.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review. Your compensation comment caught my attention immediately, as it is the goal of my team to never set unrealistic expectations during the recruitment process. Please contact ... More

Very accommodating to my needs as I do what I can to be a hard worker for the company.

Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company gives you the opportunity to be trained and coached on skills that you might not have acquired in your career. The atmosphere here is not stressful, but we all work together to be successful.

Cons

Making an industry change cost me as far as pay is concerned. I will be able to learn what I can and then increase the dynamics that will be competitive for my future career.

Improving training opportunities.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. If ever you are seeking more opportunities for training and career development, please don't hesitate to contact any member of the HR and Recruiting ... More

Surround yourself with some of the smartest people on the planet...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All of the people I interact with want to innovate and continue to grow in their profession. Management provides significant opportunities for you to grow your skill set by giving you opportunities that will push you. SirsiDynix provides an environment that supports the growth and improvement of their people.

Cons

If you like to just show up to work and collect a paycheck, I would move on and apply somewhere else. If you take professional development seriously and see yourself in roles with continued increases in responsibility over the years, then SirsiDynix is the place for you.

Bill Davison and his team do an exceptional job at making employees feel valued. Members of the executive management team, including David King, Sheridan Richey, Scott Wheelhouse, Berit Nelson, and Eric Keith, are all approachable and listen to suggestions for improvement.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking time to write this review!

Variance.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great developers at the company. The teammates make it a great place to work. Nice office, good location. Good game room. Increasingly positive outlook. Great opportunities to learn technology and grow skills. A broad range of technologies and skill sets to learn.

Cons

Poor management. Sometimes poor mentoring, training, and career development. Too many management changes. Micro-management problems. Hiring people below average pay (retention/turnover). Recovering from layoffs and losing many senior developers. Old and dirty code bases on some projects.

Train managers better or hire better; and give them smaller teams so they can be focused and in-tune with team. Hire managers with better technical background and better mentoring/guiding skills. Actively train lead developers on mentoring skills and leadership.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We recognize that there are always improvements to be made and we value this type of feedback. It’s not clear how recently you departed SirsiDynix, but for what it’s ... More

Everyone should work somewhere as awesome as SirsiDynix!

I have been working at SirsiDynix (more than an year)

Pros

It is easy to come to work because of the wonderful people on my team.

Many opportunities for growth.

Admirable leadership and great atmosphere.

Cons

I wish there wasn't so much training, but I understand the importance.

Keep giving your employees feedback on their performance.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the feedback. We are glad you are having a great experience with us!