SirsiDynix

Updated February 5, 2015
4.3

SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • They do a great job of creating a challenging work environment that is still fun and enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Average work/life balance - at best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions (in 3 reviews)

• I have been tempted to leave for more money but the amount of money really couldn't compensate for all the extras that you get (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company makes my decision to move to the vendor side of the world better every day

Current Employee - Field Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Field Sales Consultant

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues and working in/with libraries is a personal joy. SirsiDynix's focus on providing the best library user experience is heartfelt and true. Development team has grown into one of our largest divisions.

Cons

Our vision and narrative push our development team beyond their means at times. Customer expectations are demanding that development keep up.

Keep up the great work.

Good company

I have been working at SirsiDynix

Pros

Good company to work for, fast possibility to advance

Cons

poor training, few paid holidays compare to other companies I have worked for before.

I'm glad I switched careers, SirsiDynix has been great.

Current Employee - Scrummaster in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Scrummaster in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Very positive environment
    - Flexible with their employees
    - For book lovers (like me) it's a very rewarding career/industry
    - Management listens to their reports
    - Genuine opportunities for upward mobility
    - Work-life balance is always a focus, holidays off, bagel Fridays, free fountain drinks

Cons

There have been some big process changes implemented, which not everyone has embraced. Changes come some bumps and bruises, however, the changes are already showing their true value.

Continue seeing the bigger picture while simultaneously listening to those people in the trenches.

Dec 4, 2014Recruiting Manager

We're glad you switched careers, too! Thank you for your contributions to our development team!

An awesome place to work

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership has great vision and a good understanding of the library industry. A lot of respect for employees and values input and ideas from everyone. I would highly recommend SirsiDynix as a great place to work.

Cons

Library industry is somewhat dynamic lately. Product development just recently hired additional developers so is just now making progress on delivering new products.

Dec 4, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We are looking forward to the great advances our Product Development team will make on both our new and well-established product offerings.

Bright Futures

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is very forward thinking. The open door policies and interdepartmental communication allows everyone to have a voice. Salary is competitive and the benefits are good. If you do a good job, you are rewarded. This is a fantastic place to begin, continue or finish out a career in software.

Cons

Growth can cause some slow down with product development as more and more new employees are brought up to speed; however, this will make the company much stronger in the long run.

Increase the frequency of company updates so every department knows about all current objectives and their statuses.

Dec 4, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review! That is a great suggestion about increasing the frequency of company updates. Our HR team started an internal newsletter in November, and we will continue to seek ways to ... More

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my 15+ year work experience, I've been at several companies, and this is the place where I feel most at home. It is created by a management team who care about the employees and customers. The VPs and Execs are personable and friendly in interactions with each other and with us "grunts" (but they don't make us feel like we're just grunts). They promote activities and company events at least once a quarter to make sure our families can be involved and to remind us how important we each are. The culture of the company has changed drastically since I first started working here over 5 years ago from a down and scared feeling to an upbeat and fun atmosphere. We're not expected to work long hours, our department's (engineering) philosophy is work hard and play hard. We've had game nights and a lunch celebration for meeting goals and an annual party away from the office for celebrating all our accomplishments. I love working in a place where I feel like my voice is heard and valued. The renewed focus on agile development process and with bringing in full-time Scrum Masters for each of the development teams has also been an incredible boon.

Cons

I don't find that I have many negatives to say about SirsiDynix now. A few years ago there were issues, but those have been mostly addressed and we are much better as a company for having had to go through those problems. It can get a bit noisy in some areas of the office so that working is difficult without some really good headphones or an office door to shut. But the camaraderie is also a benefit, so I'm not sure how they could improve on that. It would be nice if there were some lead developer positions to take some of the pressure off the Directors and to spread around leadership opportunities, but on the other hand, I'd rather they spent money on engineers to build awesome products instead of on middle managers.

Continue promoting from within and continue with the recognition program.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

WOW! That's great feedback and I am happy to see that you've had such a positive experience. The noise should lessen a bit once we take over our new space in November/December and move a few non-R&D ... More

Happy "Customer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SirsiDynix is a big company that manages a pretty laid-back feel. They really do hire the best people, which makes it that much easier to come to work every day. Recruiting does a great job recognizing talent and helping employees apply for internal job openings. Many positions have flexible schedules and some offer work-from-home options. The employee reward system is a nice perk and we can exchange our vouchers for company merchandise or gift cards online. SirsiDynix and its management have high ethical standards--if you've ever been at a company without them, you can appreciate this! I hope to be working here for a long time.

Cons

The Lehi office has been crowded lately but this is just due to the growth in development lately. They say it will be better once we expand into more office space by the end of this year.

Although the executives are very busy, they are always surprisingly approachable and easy to talk to.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! You are correct that it has been crowded, but we are now (as of Oct 24th) only a few weeks away from taking over our new, additional office space ... More

It has been a great experience

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The challenge has been a great opportunity to grow as an employee. Great people to work with, Great customers and it is very nice working for a company that cares. The Management team listens and makes changes when needed. SirsiDynix is a great place to work.

Cons

can't go fast enough...past decisions from Sr. Management (5-7 years ago) had put the company in a bad situation

Keep going...the direction is working--Keep focused on the customers and employees.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

You have highlighted three of the most important aspects of working for SirsiDynix: our great people and leaders, awesome customers, and opportunities for professional growth. And, having been with ... More

Very accommodating to my needs as I do what I can to be a hard worker for the company.

Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company gives you the opportunity to be trained and coached on skills that you might not have acquired in your career. The atmosphere here is not stressful, but we all work together to be successful.

Cons

Making an industry change cost me as far as pay is concerned. I will be able to learn what I can and then increase the dynamics that will be competitive for my future career.

Improving training opportunities.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. If ever you are seeking more opportunities for training and career development, please don't hesitate to contact any member of the HR and Recruiting ... More

Surround yourself with some of the smartest people on the planet...

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

All of the people I interact with want to innovate and continue to grow in their profession. Management provides significant opportunities for you to grow your skill set by giving you opportunities that will push you. SirsiDynix provides an environment that supports the growth and improvement of their people.

Cons

If you like to just show up to work and collect a paycheck, I would move on and apply somewhere else. If you take professional development seriously and see yourself in roles with continued increases in responsibility over the years, then SirsiDynix is the place for you.

Bill Davison and his team do an exceptional job at making employees feel valued. Members of the executive management team, including David King, Sheridan Richey, Scott Wheelhouse, Berit Nelson, and Eric Keith, are all approachable and listen to suggestions for improvement.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking time to write this review!