SirsiDynix Reviews

Reset
4.2
SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • The people and work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Average work/life balance - at best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • As soon as the new products are out, it will be better (in 3 reviews)

• Health Insurance is High Deductible/HSA (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I'm glad I switched careers, SirsiDynix has been great.

Current Employee - Scrummaster in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Scrummaster in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very positive environment - Flexible with their employees - For book lovers (like me) it's a very rewarding career/industry - Management listens to their reports - Genuine opportunities for upward mobility - Work-life balance is always a focus, holidays off, bagel Fridays, free fountain drinks

Cons

There have been some big process changes implemented, which not everyone has embraced. Changes come some bumps and bruises, however, the changes are already showing their true value.

Advice to Management

Continue seeing the bigger picture while simultaneously listening to those people in the trenches.

SirsiDynix Response

Dec 4, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

We're glad you switched careers, too! Thank you for your contributions to our development team!

Good employer, ok pay, and good culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

Moving to a new building soon. Management is extremely open to hearing ideas from even the associates. Management provide time to learn new technologies and do side projects. Job offers you a good work-life balance.

Cons

Layoffs were sporadic and often during the last two years. (Although they appear to be better now). Vista (VC owners) had their hands too tight in the past. This also appears to be somewhat better now. Raises and performance reviews can be postponed for long periods of time. This is both a con and a pro: lots of the extensive knowledge of one of the main projects is gone. This makes it difficult at times and also gives you an opportunity to become that knowledge and advance.

Advice to Management

Communicate better to your employees when your performance reviews/raises will happen. Spend time considering ILS upgrades for the next 10-20 years.

Professionalism and Career Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix has created an agile software development environment that promotes professionalism and ingenuity through utilizing Scrum and Kanban. The open communication policy and team structure encourages innovation at all levels. The company has formalized a 2-day innovation period after each Sprint for self-organized teams to explore new technologies, code enhancements, or new product lines. The direct contact between employees and management eliminates barriers, fosters communication, and establishes a common goal direction. The executive team encourages career growth and advancement. The rewards and benefits of working for SirsiDynix have provided on opportunity to develop my skills, gain management experience, and obtain a competitive salary with an aggressive bonus structure. The long-term employment of so many current employees, in excess of 15 years, shows the longevity of opportunity available.

Cons

The company believes in the concept of personal responsibility and accomplishment. For those, who have become reliant on tenure and friendship to sustain employment, the goal/accomplishment driven environment is a harsh reality.

Advice to Management

The company needs to continue to innovate, be open to change, and promote accomplishment through compensation.

Fantastic place to work!

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management works really hard to make sure that it is a fun environment. We have all kinds of recreational items in the breakroom with regularly scheduled tournaments to encourage their use. They also schedule special events and parties for the employees. They do a good job of recognizing the good work done by their employees.

Cons

The HSA program has been a bit of a sticking point for some of the employees, but I think management has done a decent job of trying to make it as easy as possible. The reward system for doing good work (particularly the YIMEE store) seems better designed for the men in the company than the women.

This is a great place to work, a great professional environment

Current Employee - Legal Department in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Legal Department in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with smart people in a fun environment. I love the break room and the zen room (with massage chairs) and most of all I love the realistic work-life balance expectations.

Cons

I wish they still had their office in Provo because my commute got a bit longer. Also, the HSA is a little bit of hassle for my spouse.

I've never had an experience as rewarding, fulfilling and fun as working for SirsiDynix

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is very open to new ideas. The company is interested in promoting and shifting people around until they are doing exactly what they like and what they are good at. There is a lot to be done and everyone is busy. HR does a great job hosting activities and providing experiences that are enjoyable and team-building.

Cons

Sometimes I wish we had more people in order to accomplish all the objectives we'd like to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Great company!

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- opportunity to move up - open door policy with Executive's - family environment - Executive's really care about you and your career growth

Cons

I have no complaints at this time. We went through a tough time during the merger, but all departments have improved by leaps and bounds since then. I love my customers and my coworkers!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to take care of your best employees as you have with me!

Great Company

Current Employee - Finance in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Finance in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits are just the start. SirsiDynix is all about taking care of the employee and the customer. I work directly with the executive team and their primary concern is keeping customers and making sure employees have the best possible experience. So many activities and opportunities to grow within the company nobody should ever get bored. Great managers who really care about their co-workers.

Cons

It is tough to find anything bad about this company. There are complaints that the salary is below market but the perks make up for it in so many ways and the experience is so good I feel extremely marketable after having worked here for 3 years. I have been tempted to leave for more money but the amount of money really couldn't compensate for all the extras that you get.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Keep expanding and maintaining good customer retention policies. I see your efforts and know that this company will continue to grow and have amazing success under your leadership.

A great place to work where your talents are recognized and rewarded.

Current Employee - Engineering in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix is a well established leader in the library automation field and is leading our space with innovative and ground breaking solutions for the library industry. We encourage our development staff to take a couple of days each month to innovate in any area where they have great ideas. That innovation work is then demonstrated to an open and encouraging executive team who often clears the way for implementation into our products. SirsiDynix is big enough to have the resources to really effect change in our industry while not being so big that our staff is alienated or lost. Every member of our teams are an important and valuable part of the SirsiDynix family. The engineering team continues to make positive advances in our daily processes and how we develop and deliver our products. Much of that progress is because we listen to each other and work together to create a great place to work.

Cons

Where will we continue to grow? Our products are popular and as our organization continues to expand, we are quickly outgrowing our new state of the art facility. Great problem to have!

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the great things that have been implemented recently. Continue to openly share company details with the staff. We are a software development company and our recent re-investment in development is wise and will pay dividends in the near and far future. Keep leading as you have and you will continue to have the respect of those you lead.

Great place to work!

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix is a great place to work. Sure over the years they have had their ups and downs; however there has never been a better time to work for them. Benefits are great, the office is fantastic, numerous perks such as free soda, cappuccino, bagel/fruit Friday's, foosball, pool, video games, massage chairs just to name a few. It is a very collaborative environment where everyone shares the same goals and objectives. Senior Management is genuinely concerned with doing what is the right thing for employees and their customers.

Cons

Sometimes there are long work hours however management is good at rewarding staff who are going above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

RSS Feed </> Embed