SirsiDynix

Updated December 4, 2014
4.4

SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • They do a great job of creating a challenging work environment that is still fun and enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Average work/life balance - at best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions (in 3 reviews)

• I have been tempted to leave for more money but the amount of money really couldn't compensate for all the extras that you get (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible Development Department!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix (more than 10 years)

Pros

I think SirsiDynix has made EOS International a better place to work. I like Yimees, company fun days, and the ice bucket challenge. These things boost moral and made me feel like more of a team member. I like SirsiDynix's new hires. I have met the CEO of the company. He is the nicest man!

Cons

Unfortunately the cons over shadow the pros. Development has been impossible to work with. They try to segregate themselves from all other departments and sometimes are straight up just rude. I believe everyone in the company is part of a team, not just my department. But it has been a very negative and uncomfortable atmosphere. Helping each other is out of the realm of possibility.

I think development can rethink what it means to be a team. It is all about the people at work. They make the company. I have heard name calling and experienced the blame game. The scrum masters can be better trained. The position requires people skills so next time hire some people that actually have these skills. I will encourage coworkers to post reviews and update mine if things improve in the future. Thanks for reading my review!

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As a company, it is absolutely necessary for all of us to work together and be one team, even though some of us are in different offices on opposite ... More

A dinosaur

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people in the Utah facility are extremely pleasant and friendly. The office building is nice. The amenities for employees while at work are above average.

Cons

Horrible benefits. Low salary. Lied about compensation coming in. The products are poorly designed and implemented. Ownership is private equity so their just trying to make the company's bottom line look good for investors.

I don't know if there's anything that management can do. The equity firm that owns this company holds the purse strings and determines the company's future. Not a great situation for an employee to walk into.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review. Your compensation comment caught my attention immediately, as it is the goal of my team to never set unrealistic expectations during the recruitment process. Please contact ... More

Variance.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of great developers at the company. The teammates make it a great place to work. Nice office, good location. Good game room. Increasingly positive outlook. Great opportunities to learn technology and grow skills. A broad range of technologies and skill sets to learn.

Cons

Poor management. Sometimes poor mentoring, training, and career development. Too many management changes. Micro-management problems. Hiring people below average pay (retention/turnover). Recovering from layoffs and losing many senior developers. Old and dirty code bases on some projects.

Train managers better or hire better; and give them smaller teams so they can be focused and in-tune with team. Hire managers with better technical background and better mentoring/guiding skills. Actively train lead developers on mentoring skills and leadership.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We recognize that there are always improvements to be made and we value this type of feedback. It’s not clear how recently you departed SirsiDynix, but for what it’s ... More

Was once a good company, then it sold out.

Former Employee - Tech Writer and Software Test Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Tech Writer and Software Test Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For about 9 years, it was a great company to work for.

Cons

In my ninth year there, the company sold out, and the layoffs commenced. Customers became dissatisfied and the new management micromanaged everybody. In time, the office where I worked laid off all 200+ employees and the office closed entirely.

I understand that now, where the company still exists in some form that layoffs occur like clockwork. Are you simply hiring people for low pay and then laying them off so that you can hire replacements at low pay? That's the impression I've been given by what I've read. I hope you have stopped micro-managing everything withe the excuse that you are utilizing Agile and scrum techniques.

Uhm Yeah

I worked at SirsiDynix

Pros

The co-workers are pretty good at this company.

Cons

The executives care more about spending money on their offices then on their employees. Mass lay offs every week.

treat employees like you want to be treated

Somethings work, somethings don't

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, team oriented, work at your own pace.

Cons

Their software has major flaws. Have a hard time keeping Customer Support staffed ending up in a workload that is often times unbearable.

Hire more people,

Inconsistent.

I worked at SirsiDynix

Pros

The company has a large and fairly steady customer base. Unfortunately there's less and less money for library information systems each year.

Cons

The company has been bought and sold so many times, it's not a true company anymore. Its only goal is to be sold to someone else.

SirsiDynix must innovate. Unfortunately as long as the company is in sell-itself mode, this is not possible in any meaningful way.

Layoff-Palooza

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SirsiDynix

Pros

If you can't find a job elsewhere SirsiDynix is the place for you. A reasonable place to get your foot in the door in development that is if you live in Provo.

Cons

Upper management LOVES layoffs in praise of the almighty $$ and value high profile employees as opposed to those who simply get the job done regardless of how much overtime they put in.

Figure out what you are doing and stick with it. They are pushing for a release that's already in jeopardy of slipping since they are closing the office with the most experience with their main product but decide they need to change processes midstream.

7th best midsized company in the US? Really?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- People you work with are great. Average work/life balance - at best.

- Ping pong/pool table/foosball in break room - fairly common for tech company.

- Food can be had - for a price - on site.

- Hiring a lot of new people, and long standing company (30 years in business)

Cons

- 4 CEOs in the last 4 years. 4 HR managers in the last 4 years. Meddling middle managers.

- No career path at all. Overly tedious/ nonsensical "mandatory" trainings.

- Insurance package is horrible. Not enough bad thing I can say about the insurance offered here.

- Fractured company policies and hierarchy. Vast separation between staff of varying levels.

- Ridiculously antiquated code. Refuse to move to newer coding standards.

- Never end of life a product.

- Actually take employee feedback into account - you ask for it.

- Create a career path.

- Promote "grow from within" mentality.

- Stop talking like you are 25 years old, just to say cool.

Mar 27, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. It’s unfortunate that your experience has been very atypical of most of our employees. As you can see from the plethora of other great reviews, most employees have an ... More

Positive- With Exception

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Company has come a long way after being acquired in 2007. Better management dedicated to cleaning up many messes has made it stronger financially and technologically.

Cons

Company spends too much money on "stuff" rather than investing in the employees for the long term. There has been a huge amount of employee turnover over the last few years for two main reasons- opportunity and compensation. The company is a good start for someone coming out of college or someone looking for a fresh start. While they have added a number of new customers, it is also true that they have lost quite a few as well.

Sep 11, 2013Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your ratings and feedback. I see that you are a former employee and I’m unsure when you were last employed with us, but I do want to offer information in response to the statements ... More