SirsiDynix

Updated January 21, 2015
4.3

SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • They do a great job of creating a challenging work environment that is still fun and enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Average work/life balance - at best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions (in 3 reviews)

• I have been tempted to leave for more money but the amount of money really couldn't compensate for all the extras that you get (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

I have been working at SirsiDynix

Pros

Good company to work for, fast possibility to advance

Cons

poor training, few paid holidays compare to other companies I have worked for before.

Lies and more lies

Current Employee - Sales in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only pro is OK pay but health insurance is on the rise.

Cons

Everyone is told there is opportunity for upward movement. They keep firing people then hire new ones with the same lies, over and over again.

This product does not sell itself so please treat us with a little respect. Please don't call people asking who wrote a review it is anonymous for a reason!

I'm glad I switched careers, SirsiDynix has been great.

Current Employee - Scrummaster in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Scrummaster in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Very positive environment
    - Flexible with their employees
    - For book lovers (like me) it's a very rewarding career/industry
    - Management listens to their reports
    - Genuine opportunities for upward mobility
    - Work-life balance is always a focus, holidays off, bagel Fridays, free fountain drinks

Cons

There have been some big process changes implemented, which not everyone has embraced. Changes come some bumps and bruises, however, the changes are already showing their true value.

Continue seeing the bigger picture while simultaneously listening to those people in the trenches.

Dec 4, 2014Recruiting Manager

We're glad you switched careers, too! Thank you for your contributions to our development team!

An awesome place to work

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership has great vision and a good understanding of the library industry. A lot of respect for employees and values input and ideas from everyone. I would highly recommend SirsiDynix as a great place to work.

Cons

Library industry is somewhat dynamic lately. Product development just recently hired additional developers so is just now making progress on delivering new products.

Dec 4, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We are looking forward to the great advances our Product Development team will make on both our new and well-established product offerings.

Bright Futures

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is very forward thinking. The open door policies and interdepartmental communication allows everyone to have a voice. Salary is competitive and the benefits are good. If you do a good job, you are rewarded. This is a fantastic place to begin, continue or finish out a career in software.

Cons

Growth can cause some slow down with product development as more and more new employees are brought up to speed; however, this will make the company much stronger in the long run.

Increase the frequency of company updates so every department knows about all current objectives and their statuses.

Dec 4, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review! That is a great suggestion about increasing the frequency of company updates. Our HR team started an internal newsletter in November, and we will continue to seek ways to ... More

Great Company

Current Employee - Finance in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Finance in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SirsiDynix has a lot of monthly activities; management is friendly and personable. Time-off is flexible, and the environment is mostly relaxed.

Cons

Recently, employees have felt a little spread thin due to additional workload. Sometimes communication is a little weak between departments and job functions

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. If you have any suggestions on how we can communicate more effectively between departments, please don't hesitate to contact any of us in HR. Feel free to also utilize ... More

SirsiDynix is a nice place to work overall.

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the business casual tone of the workplace. I know that as long as I finish my work, I can also spend time interacting with my coworkers or utilizing one of the many workplace perks (such as the ping pong table or dart board in the break room.)

Cons

It would be nice if there wasn't so much time taken out for things like company meetings. I would rather peruse a presentation on my own than have a sort of pep rally a couple times a year. I'm sure there are many who do enjoy those meetings, though.

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review!

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my 15+ year work experience, I've been at several companies, and this is the place where I feel most at home. It is created by a management team who care about the employees and customers. The VPs and Execs are personable and friendly in interactions with each other and with us "grunts" (but they don't make us feel like we're just grunts). They promote activities and company events at least once a quarter to make sure our families can be involved and to remind us how important we each are. The culture of the company has changed drastically since I first started working here over 5 years ago from a down and scared feeling to an upbeat and fun atmosphere. We're not expected to work long hours, our department's (engineering) philosophy is work hard and play hard. We've had game nights and a lunch celebration for meeting goals and an annual party away from the office for celebrating all our accomplishments. I love working in a place where I feel like my voice is heard and valued. The renewed focus on agile development process and with bringing in full-time Scrum Masters for each of the development teams has also been an incredible boon.

Cons

I don't find that I have many negatives to say about SirsiDynix now. A few years ago there were issues, but those have been mostly addressed and we are much better as a company for having had to go through those problems. It can get a bit noisy in some areas of the office so that working is difficult without some really good headphones or an office door to shut. But the camaraderie is also a benefit, so I'm not sure how they could improve on that. It would be nice if there were some lead developer positions to take some of the pressure off the Directors and to spread around leadership opportunities, but on the other hand, I'd rather they spent money on engineers to build awesome products instead of on middle managers.

Continue promoting from within and continue with the recognition program.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

WOW! That's great feedback and I am happy to see that you've had such a positive experience. The noise should lessen a bit once we take over our new space in November/December and move a few non-R&D ... More

Happy "Customer"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SirsiDynix is a big company that manages a pretty laid-back feel. They really do hire the best people, which makes it that much easier to come to work every day. Recruiting does a great job recognizing talent and helping employees apply for internal job openings. Many positions have flexible schedules and some offer work-from-home options. The employee reward system is a nice perk and we can exchange our vouchers for company merchandise or gift cards online. SirsiDynix and its management have high ethical standards--if you've ever been at a company without them, you can appreciate this! I hope to be working here for a long time.

Cons

The Lehi office has been crowded lately but this is just due to the growth in development lately. They say it will be better once we expand into more office space by the end of this year.

Although the executives are very busy, they are always surprisingly approachable and easy to talk to.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! You are correct that it has been crowded, but we are now (as of Oct 24th) only a few weeks away from taking over our new, additional office space ... More

It has been a great experience

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The challenge has been a great opportunity to grow as an employee. Great people to work with, Great customers and it is very nice working for a company that cares. The Management team listens and makes changes when needed. SirsiDynix is a great place to work.

Cons

can't go fast enough...past decisions from Sr. Management (5-7 years ago) had put the company in a bad situation

Keep going...the direction is working--Keep focused on the customers and employees.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

You have highlighted three of the most important aspects of working for SirsiDynix: our great people and leaders, awesome customers, and opportunities for professional growth. And, having been with ... More