SirsiDynix Reviews

• Any Status
  • Current Employees
Employment Status

Reset

7th best midsized company in the US? Really?

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People you work with are great. Average work/life balance - at best. - Ping pong/pool table/foosball in break room - fairly common for tech company. - Food can be had - for a price - on site. - Hiring a lot of new people, and long standing company (30 years in business)

Cons

- 4 CEOs in the last 4 years. 4 HR managers in the last 4 years. Meddling middle managers. - No career path at all. Overly tedious/ nonsensical "mandatory" trainings. - Insurance package is horrible. Not enough bad thing I can say about the insurance offered here. - Fractured company policies and hierarchy. Vast separation between staff of varying levels. - Ridiculously antiquated code. Refuse to move to newer coding standards. - Never end of life a product.

Advice to Management

- Actually take employee feedback into account - you ask for it. - Create a career path. - Promote "grow from within" mentality. - Stop talking like you are 25 years old, just to say cool.

SirsiDynix Response

Mar 27, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. It’s unfortunate that your experience has been very atypical of most of our employees. As you can see from the plethora of other great reviews, most employees have an ... More

Employee morale is a focal point.

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sirsidynix, since their move to the new office building in Lehi, has taken great strides towards making sure their employees are taken care of with both in-office perks, extraordinary benefits, and through supervisory/subordinate reaching out. For the first time in my career, it really feels like a company really cares about the employee rather than us just being another number on a spreadsheet. Internal staff are friendly, willing to help each other, and the office atmosphere is one of the best around. They have internal competitions like miniature golfing, video game, pool, and table tennis championships. Don't forget the golden golf putter! Sirsidynix is also invested in their products. They are making significant leaps ahead of the competitive technology within the market. They are employing lots of new development staff to work on new and innovating software that will impress the marketplace for years to come.

Cons

Sirsidynix is owned by a private equity firm which could mean higher turnover at times, and due to the nature of private equity, there is also a bit of uncertainty in which the ownership will evolve down the road. Sirsidynix is definitely not in automatic mode right now. There's a lot of new technology so the employees are working hard to keep up with supporting it. There often also can be times where internal communication could be lacking.

Advice to Management

I believe that inter-department communication regarding software and philosophy would greatly help the efficiency of supporting said software.

Best decision I ever made

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with from the executives down through the rank and file. Everyone is committed to the common goal of providing the best library user experience and this focus shows.

Cons

Development is in the process of creating a next generation Integrated Library System. This process takes time but it will greatly benefit our users and the company in the long run.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job. Keep your focus on the library user and we will continue to see great success.

One of the Best Employers I've Ever Worked For...

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fantastic work environment, great breakrooms, relaxation rooms, gym in building, fun events and parties. - Excellent advancement opportunities - Great benefits, 401k w/matching, HSA Matching, Adoption Assistance, etc. - Family friendly - Willing to take chances on good candidates - Wonderful Managers, very professional **see Cons I seriously love working here, the only reason I put any cons is for full disclosure.

Cons

- Health Insurance is High Deductible/HSA - Actual pay is not as high as other companies, however the fringe benefits make this a bit more of a meh than a con - Performance Reviews are arbitrary and inconsistent - Lack of professional development for employees, advanced training and skills improvement **Some managers are clueless and lack leadership skills

Advice to Management

As often as we are asked to review our peers and we are reviewed. It would be nice if there were some bottom up reviews of supervisors, managers and department heads.

My kids would rate SirsiDynix with 5 stars

Current Employee - Sales Trainer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Trainer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There have been many family focused activities throughout the year. From movies to trick or treating, to a wonderful Christmas Party with Santa just for the kids, all have been a hit. SirsiDynix realizes that it is more than just making the work life of the employee enjoyable, but making sure the whole family is happy. My kids think I work in the coolest place and I would agree.

Cons

Not having Diet Mountain Dew onsite. Every company I have worked for has problems, but SirsiDynix strives to constantly improve.

Good company with great managers

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every manager I've worked with has been very interested in helping me succeed. They care about their people. It's a fun place to work with a great corporate culture. I really enjoy the good work/life balance. The people I work with are good at what they do and fun to be around.

Cons

Salaries start kind of low. I wish we got more paid holidays (not all the federal holidays are included in our holiday schedule, but we do get "flex days" we can use whenever we like).

Advice to Management

It would be nice to hire more experienced developers.

Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are very competitive. Main office is a new building and is a very clean, comfortable place to work. Environment is upbeat, but not stressful. Job is motivating, but not overwhelming. Always learning and improving on the job. Very accommodating for family time. Break room, food, sodas, etc are great. I rarely leave for lunch. I love the food that is brought in.

Cons

Inter-departmental fueds are annoying, specifically between development/project management and other departments.

Advice to Management

Help certain departments to work better with other departments. I think if each department understood better what the other departments do, they would have more respect and tolerance for them.

I hope to be here for a long time.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix is very selective in who they hire. Once you make it through the screening process and come on board, you realize that you are part of an elite group that is great to work with. SirsiDynix values their employees and goes to great lengths to create a positive work environment that is pleasant, enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. I've had other job opportunities come up while working at SirsiDynix, but they don't compare to what I have here. When I get the itch to move on, I just move to a different position at SirsiDynix.

Cons

I started with SirsiDynix when they were located in Provo. The recent move to Lehi means more travel each day. I like the building we are in. I just don't like the 20 minute drive twice a day.

Exciting, uplifting, professional place to work

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upbeat, positive, work atmosphere. For being a midsize company, I feel like we are a fairly tight-knit group. In that regard, it feels like many of the small companies I have worked for. Lots of good friends. Advancement opportunities. Safe learning environment. SirsiDynix invests time and training into its employees. It's satisfying to belong to a company that is a leader in its industry. It’s fun to tell people about where I work and the innovative, cutting edge, features coming out in SirsiDynix's products lately. Real value is being created for the industry and SirsiDynix's customers. Extremely comfortable amenities (break room diversions, "zen room" with massage chairs, etc), new building. Regular activities, tournaments, contests and socials put on by HR and supported by dept heads. Always great food.

Cons

The pay could be more competetive. Professionals that already know what they are doing (especially compared to smaller companies) could wish for higher pay, but in the case of someone that is looking for excellent training from an established mid-sized company, and a chance to build a real career, it's perfect. SirsiDyinx is the place to be. Several years ago there was sufficient enough "clean up" being implimented by ownership that job security was a common concern. After leaning things out, now that ownership is building back up, things feel stable and secure.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We like this place. Upper management has set a good tone that trickles down through the ranks. Thanks for not leading by fear. There are is enough awesome about this company to stay enthusiastic about what we are doing.

Love SirsiDynix!

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly employees, great office environment, good location--convenient, new, modern office space, well-managed, good benefits package, fun fringe benefits.

Cons

Low growth industry, some customers are wary of SIrsiDynix's past behaviors. They are working to improve that but still have work to do.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to get to industry standards.

RSS Feed </> Embed