SirsiDynix

Updated December 4, 2014
4.4

SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • They do a great job of creating a challenging work environment that is still fun and enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Average work/life balance - at best (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions (in 3 reviews)

• I have been tempted to leave for more money but the amount of money really couldn't compensate for all the extras that you get (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits are just the start. SirsiDynix is all about taking care of the employee and the customer. I work directly with the executive team and their primary concern is keeping customers and making sure employees have the best possible experience. So many activities and opportunities to grow within the company nobody should ever get bored. Great managers who really care about their co-workers.

Cons

It is tough to find anything bad about this company. There are complaints that the salary is below market but the perks make up for it in so many ways and the experience is so good I feel extremely marketable after having worked here for 3 years. I have been tempted to leave for more money but the amount of money really couldn't compensate for all the extras that you get.

Keep up the great work. Keep expanding and maintaining good customer retention policies. I see your efforts and know that this company will continue to grow and have amazing success under your leadership.

Ups and downs but generally upward (and accelerating)

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Considerate of employees and their families. Engaging work. Continually striving to improve. Working to improve relationships with customers.

Cons

Insurance benefits are just OK.

Focus, focus, focus.

Great company!

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- opportunity to move up
    - open door policy with Executive's
    - family environment
    - Executive's really care about you and your career growth

Cons

I have no complaints at this time. We went through a tough time during the merger, but all departments have improved by leaps and bounds since then. I love my customers and my coworkers!

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to take care of your best employees as you have with me!

Great company at which to build your career

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

SirsiDynix has a very thorough hiring process and so all of your co-workers are both fun and smart and you can learn a lot from them. Company has made strives to improve company culture with fun extracurricular activities. Breakroom has free fountain drinks, pool/foosball/ping tables, Xboxes, and a high def movie screen for watching movies and live sporting events. Company is small and intimate enough that management can recognize and reward strong performers. For what it's worth, the company is also the leader in their industry.

Cons

SirsiDynix is currently owned by a venture capitalist group and venture capitalists and very good at saving money by trimming expenses. One of the ways they do this is by paying employees at the lower end of the salary range for your job title. Some positions are worse in this regard than others. Also, as others have mentioned, you and your spouse must both participate in a wellness program in order for the company to match HSA contributions.

I've never had an experience as rewarding, fulfilling and fun as working for SirsiDynix

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is very open to new ideas. The company is interested in promoting and shifting people around until they are doing exactly what they like and what they are good at. There is a lot to be done and everyone is busy. HR does a great job hosting activities and providing experiences that are enjoyable and team-building.

Cons

Sometimes I wish we had more people in order to accomplish all the objectives we'd like to.

Keep up the good work.

This is a great place to work, a great professional environment

Current Employee - Legal Department in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Legal Department in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love working with smart people in a fun environment. I love the break room and the zen room (with massage chairs) and most of all I love the realistic work-life balance expectations.

Cons

I wish they still had their office in Provo because my commute got a bit longer. Also, the HSA is a little bit of hassle for my spouse.

Fantastic place to work!

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management works really hard to make sure that it is a fun environment. We have all kinds of recreational items in the breakroom with regularly scheduled tournaments to encourage their use. They also schedule special events and parties for the employees. They do a good job of recognizing the good work done by their employees.

Cons

The HSA program has been a bit of a sticking point for some of the employees, but I think management has done a decent job of trying to make it as easy as possible.

The reward system for doing good work (particularly the YIMEE store) seems better designed for the men in the company than the women.

Professionalism and Career Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix has created an agile software development environment that promotes professionalism and ingenuity through utilizing Scrum and Kanban. The open communication policy and team structure encourages innovation at all levels. The company has formalized a 2-day innovation period after each Sprint for self-organized teams to explore new technologies, code enhancements, or new product lines.
    The direct contact between employees and management eliminates barriers, fosters communication, and establishes a common goal direction. The executive team encourages career growth and advancement.
    The rewards and benefits of working for SirsiDynix have provided on opportunity to develop my skills, gain management experience, and obtain a competitive salary with an aggressive bonus structure. The long-term employment of so many current employees, in excess of 15 years, shows the longevity of opportunity available.

Cons

The company believes in the concept of personal responsibility and accomplishment. For those, who have become reliant on tenure and friendship to sustain employment, the goal/accomplishment driven environment is a harsh reality.

The company needs to continue to innovate, be open to change, and promote accomplishment through compensation.

Good employer, ok pay, and good culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix

Pros

Moving to a new building soon.
    Management is extremely open to hearing ideas from even the associates.
    Management provide time to learn new technologies and do side projects.
    Job offers you a good work-life balance.

Cons

Layoffs were sporadic and often during the last two years. (Although they appear to be better now).
    Vista (VC owners) had their hands too tight in the past. This also appears to be somewhat better now. Raises and performance reviews can be postponed for long periods of time.

This is both a con and a pro: lots of the extensive knowledge of one of the main projects is gone. This makes it difficult at times and also gives you an opportunity to become that knowledge and advance.

Communicate better to your employees when your performance reviews/raises will happen. Spend time considering ILS upgrades for the next 10-20 years.

Great Company

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SirsiDynix has a lot of monthly activities; management is friendly and personable. Time-off is flexible, and the environment is mostly relaxed.

Cons

Recently, employees have felt a little spread thin due to additional workload. Sometimes communication is a little weak between departments and job functions

SirsiDynix Response

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. If you have any suggestions on how we can communicate more effectively between departments, please don't hesitate to contact any of us in HR. Feel free to also utilize ... More