SirsiDynix

www.sirsidynix.com

Good employer, ok pay, and good culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix

Pros

Moving to a new building soon.
    Management is extremely open to hearing ideas from even the associates.
    Management provide time to learn new technologies and do side projects.
    Job offers you a good work-life balance.

Cons

Layoffs were sporadic and often during the last two years. (Although they appear to be better now).
    Vista (VC owners) had their hands too tight in the past. This also appears to be somewhat better now. Raises and performance reviews can be postponed for long periods of time.

This is both a con and a pro: lots of the extensive knowledge of one of the main projects is gone. This makes it difficult at times and also gives you an opportunity to become that knowledge and advance.

Communicate better to your employees when your performance reviews/raises will happen. Spend time considering ILS upgrades for the next 10-20 years.

Sales Team

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Working at SirsiDynix has been an enjoyable experience. The people are wonderful, they make work fun yet stay focused on obtaining sales results.

Cons

I do find the lack of consistency with accurate development cycles frustrating. I would like to see our dev team do a better job of hitting release targets or at least setting the proper expectations.

Great Company

Current Employee - Finance in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Finance in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SirsiDynix has a lot of monthly activities; management is friendly and personable. Time-off is flexible, and the environment is mostly relaxed.

Cons

Recently, employees have felt a little spread thin due to additional workload. Sometimes communication is a little weak between departments and job functions

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. If you have any suggestions on how we can communicate more effectively between departments, please don't hesitate to contact any of us in HR. Feel free to also utilize ... More

SirsiDynix is a nice place to work overall.

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the business casual tone of the workplace. I know that as long as I finish my work, I can also spend time interacting with my coworkers or utilizing one of the many workplace perks (such as the ping pong table or dart board in the break room.)

Cons

It would be nice if there wasn't so much time taken out for things like company meetings. I would rather peruse a presentation on my own than have a sort of pep rally a couple times a year. I'm sure there are many who do enjoy those meetings, though.

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review!

Overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people here are really great. The management cares about you and wants you to succeed.

Cons

The hiring policy appears to be to only hire people with little to no previous experience. This has some advantages, but the engineering department suffers a little bit from not having more experienced people.

The next time we hire a lot of new engineers I think it would be very advantageous to bolster up the current teams until the new people have been trained and then split them into the smaller teams.

Oct 7, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am happy to hear that your experience has been positive overall.

We do fill a majority of roles across the organization at an entry-level, or
    ... More

Good Company

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Company atmosphere, people, awesome customers, internal promotions

Cons

Development is slow. As soon as the new products are out, it will be better. Some of the owner decisions/policies are rather odd and difficult for our type of company. I hear it was worse in the past, but seems to have gotten better.

The comp plan for sales is pretty confusing and often invites unhealthy competition, rather than constructive competition, between inside and outside sales reps.

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Manager

Great comments. It is my hope that you are encouraged at the investment in our development teams since posting your review. With the significant expansion in R&D, we are seeing products that were ... More

This Company cares about us, the Employees! Great Place to Grow!

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership at SirsiDynix takes the time to know the employees. Not just HR, but the CFO and other company leaders walk around and check in. They take the time to learn about our families and career goals. Then, they work to help make those goals a reality.

Cons

As with all large companies communication between teams could be better.

Review

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great customers, great industry

Cons

benefits declining yearly, poor incentives and raises that don't keep up with inflation.

SirsiDynix provides opportunities for employees to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great People / Great Environment / Great Company
    I love the people within the company as well as the customers we have the opportunity to work with. We have amazing mentors within our company in our peers, and in leadership positions who have great company/product knowledge and experience. SirsiDynix provides the tools, resources and the opportunities to improve my skills and broaden/expand my professional experiences. I have the opportunity and am empowered to make the most of my job position while helping to build our company. This allows me to feel like I'm contributing to the success and growth of SirsiDynix.

Cons

SirsiDynix is working towards the delivery of many new, very innovative products for our customers. Need to make sure they are delivered in a timely manner, and are well tested before their release. We have made significant strides in rebuilding trust in our customer base, and need to continue this growth through the timely delivery of quality products and services.

Let's keep moving forward!!! Morale has improved greatly over the last couple of years. Need to keep the trend upward. Delivering quality in products and services is key to continuing our customer relationships, which, in turn, will help us continue to grow into an even better company.

Great Staff, Products and Services

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix is staffed with top rate people who truly care about the customers they serve searching daily to add products and services to help libraries serve their patrons.

Cons

Like most companies now, the health care/insurance cost continue to rise as the services decline.

Continue to focus of the staff that makes the company the best in the market and look for ways to reduce the health care cost on the employees while improving coverage options.