Sitel

Updated November 25, 2014
2.5

Sitel President & CEO Bert Quintana
Bert Quintana

Pros
  • I've done the online for the work-at-home assessment - so far, so good (in 21 reviews)

• Learned a lot about customer service and the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Administration is very disorganized and actual call center work is more stressful than it needs to be (in 16 reviews)

• You cannot even defend your employees with upper management as they feel everyone is replaceable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

In my experience with Sitel has been great.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Sitel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of pros of working here are great training they provide everything you need to be successful and the managers for the most part are real people.

Cons

Some cons about working here are you must move up otherwise staying on the phones you are salary capped, and to begin with pay is well for the job. Its also very mundane doing the same things day and day out. There also many changes that come about, which take month's to get those out to agents there is also little to no time to review or research these changes and you still get counted off for misinformation, which affects stack ranking and being able to move up.

Make sure you get us information when you get information!

A corporation that doesn't care!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Sitel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent wages, some overtime, not much else

Cons

Poor management, uneducated management, shady employees

If you truly care about your employees, take away the occurrence system for people that are sick or have medical issues!

Sitel is without question, the absolute worst company I've EVER worked for

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of a single one. I guess getting to leave at the end of your shift is probably the best thing about it. If you ABSOLUTELY NEED a paycheck and can't get one anywhere else, it's alright to work their just long enough to get interviewed somewhere else.

Cons

Ugh...First, probably 80% of the employees looked like they were addicted to some form of drug. Most looked awful and smelled worse. They supposedly have a dress code, but you wouldn't know it from all the people wearing everything from gym shorts and sandals to pajama bottoms and slippers. It's sad when there's a sign in one of the training rooms that actually says "Please keep your shoes on".

Management is an absolute joke. Trainers were very nice, I especially liked mine, but coaches and up were the worst. The Head Coach for the campaign I worked on may actually be one of the worst human beings I've ever encountered. She walks around with this pretend front of wanting to help, but she has no problem being as rude as possible to your face. Rather than up and quitting like most people do, I did them enough respect to let them know that I had been hired by another company with a pay rate double to what they offered. I tried to be nice by saying "I enjoyed working here" to which the same coach had the audacity to say to me "You never worked here". She has no idea how close I came to telling her where she could stick her ridiculous $8.25 an hour.

The pay is atrocious. They start at $1.00 over minimum wage, but are big on telling you how you can supplement your pay with sales. While I was training, it was repeatedly impressed upon me that an individual on my campaign had just gotten a $3,000 commission check. They want you to believe that a check like that is fairly close to standard...as long as you apply yourself. What they won't tell you, something that every phone REP will, is that only happened one time. Looking at the average commission check sheet that they keep on the first wall you see upon walking into the campaign area, the average commission is between $100.00 to $200.00 per rep, per month.

I'm not a fan of someone using their cell phone at their desk. I firmly believe that if you're on the clock, you're being paid to do a job, not sit and text to your family and friends, however, I do understand that it's very nice to have on you in case someone absolutely needs to get in touch with you. Sitel has a policy of absolutely no electronic equipment of any kind at your desk, to which they enforce under the guise of privacy protection. I see no problem with this policy at all, however, when it doesn't apply to everyone, it's not right, nor is it fair. If a coach happens to like you on a personal level, or even worse, if they are trying to get into a rep's pants (this happens more than you can imagine) coaches and mentors will overlook the fact that you have your phone on you and may even be texting in your cubicle. When coaches aren't playing favorites, they have no problem walking around texting, showing you pictures that they have taken, or even showing you stuff on their personal Facebook, all from their phone, because mentors and coaches are not subject to the no electronics policy. They have a red piece of construction paper to signify this (I wish that were a joke).

The bathrooms are a constant mess and they are treated by most as a porta-potty, or outhouse and they smell even worse, but they pale in comparison to the cafeteria and rest area. It looks like something you might see in a housing project. They go out of their way to overcharge for anything they sell on site, and then they charge tax on top of it. They've got some guy that comes in every day who apparently makes "homemade" food. He's not an employee, nor is he what you would consider a vendor. This is some guy who comes in, brings the $0.25 snack bags of chips, a hot plate, and hamburger patties and cooks meals that cost what you would expect to pay at Chick-Fil-A. Now, I can't say a lot about that, because you're not required to make anything, but he cooks in the actual common area. Because of this, there are full garbage cans of rotting food, mixed with the smell of whatever he is cooking. Let the idea of that smell combination sink in for a moment. The first time I saw it, I wasn't sure it was really happening. There are gnats, flies, and while I never saw one, I was repeatedly told by other reps to check my belongings at the end of each shift for roaches.

I could go on and on, but I guess the easiest way to sum up the entire Sitel experience is with the following statement...When a company hires you the day you first walk in the door to fill out an application and then holds a new training class as soon as the last session lets out, that should tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the caliber of job you're going into.

-Rethink keeping some of the Comcast coaches as employees
    -Stop lying to employees
    -Don't steal sales from your reps every chance you get
    -Enforce your own damn policies
    -Stop expecting people to bend over backward to work hard for you when you're only willing to pay them at a poverty level standard
    -Tell people when they interview if the campaign they are interviewing for requires mandatory overtime. Don't let them find out about it in their last week of training, after they've already made accommodations with their schedules.
    -Don't walk up to someone an hour before their shift is over and tell them you need them for another two hours.
    -Stop degrading your employees with things like, and I quote "Once you hit a certain percentage, you get an extra piece of candy"...seriously, wtf!?

Only use this as an entryway job, try to get out as soon as possible.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed speaking to members over the phone, and I was surrounded by co-workers who were wonderful people. Immediate management (called "coaches") were always pleasant to work with. They often do games or promos, encouraging us to try to pick up our stats in exchange for gift-cards, certificates, pizza parties, or other goodies.

Cons

The problem came with higher management: both HR and upper management seemed to be disconnected with the lower corporate culture, neither participating nor sympathizing with issues that swept across the floor (across all agents). They only look at your stats (which is why they would okay promotions), but in the end, if you didn't get your stats up, they would demean you. Coaches that have low stats would be told "You can sign this agreement to say you'll bring your stats up, or you can fill out this McDonald's application." That was the kind of approach upper management had to pretty much anything.
    They also have low pay ($9/hr for a customer service position; the same job with another company could earn you $15/hr) and a poor excuse for a health insurance program. Thus, a lot of people get sick, but they're not forgiving on illness either. Sometimes a doctor's note isn't enough, and they won't let you back into work until your doctor finds enough time to fill out paperwork.
    Finally, front-end support is extremely lacking for some departments (called "campaigns"). Some of them have only 1-2 weeks of training without any introduction to the information systems they'll be using, while others have a complete 1.5 month training course with presentations, speakers, visitors and more. If you're going to get a job there, do your research (talk to the smokers outside on break), and get into the right campaign if you can help it.

Coaches: You guys deal with so much trying to keep us employed and trying to get the numbers up to acceptable levels for upper management, while trying to keep the atmosphere fun, or at least not oppressive.
    Upper Management: See past the numbers and try to see the people that are on the floor. Yeah, the numbers are important, but an employee's health is worth much more.

If you've heard the saying: the less said the better--well, sometimes saying nothing is best of all.

Current Employee - Msr in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Msr in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Sitel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are generally great, and a lot of them deserve a whole lot better than they are getting.

Cons

Money is the biggest. And then there is the come-here-go-away management approach. As one employee (former) once put it, "I've never known a place that tried so hard to run off its employees."

I would, but I consider this an exercise in futility.

awful

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

lax dress code, can eat at desk, voluntary time off, can talk to friends on down time

Cons

horrible management, no one ever knows what is going on, changes never communicated to agents, unfair treatment

just leave

Management treats employees like family

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management and coworkers made each other feel wanted, and each "class" ends up being very close, especially in the campaign I worked in

Cons

Odd and irregular hours when you start out, but it evens out later on. The work I was doing was very tedious/boring, but I can't say every campaign is like that.

Keep your employees happy with the job and atmosphere. Since the job can be tedious and sometimes boring, it's good to have a positive atmosphere and places to destress after a stressful call.

Horrible!!!

Current Employee - Call Center in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Call Center in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Sitel full-time

Pros

None. They have been discontinued.

Cons

They offer school schedules, but do not adhere to them. Everyone is forced to work overtime or receive an occurrence. The kitchen is nasty and crawling with bugs and roaches. Management is a joke. Hr is never available. They only become half-way competent when important people come to visit. This is the only time I have ever seen something cleaned or repaired.

Leave while you can!!!

Sitel offers a treacherous, restrictive, and semi-functional work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After you pass a battery of skills tests and sign several dozen forms swearing you're a US citizen and not a criminal, you will be on your way to making money somewhere above the Federal minimum wage. In theory, the position offers some insurance and vacation benefits after you endure some milestone waiting periods to earn them. Management is beleaguered and overworked, but there are some good eggs in the mix.

Cons

Give up your life. It is outsourced and done as much on the cheap as much as possible. Working at Sitel comes with a very restrictive set of conditions. If you use your cell phone in the lockers area, out of sight of anything sensitive you might make a snapshot of, you are subject to having it confiscated. The work environment is like wearing two straitjackets. Lunch break is 30 minutes and there is a line at the microwaves. Don't develop a need to to to the bathroom anytime you're not scheduled for your break. That might be four hours before the end of your shift and fifteen minutes after your meal break. If so, too bad, toughen up. You'll probably find yourself wondering if you can last long enough on the job to become insured, which is three months beyond your training probation period. By the time you work half a year beyond your training probation, you're entitled to a week of vacation, but don't be shocked if they don't permit you to take five scheduled days off in a row. Computer equipment is from the 1990s. Connections to remote networks fail from time to time. Improvise and pretend;after all, when the caller calls back irate because nothing was done, what are the odds they'll get you on the phone again? You won't have a chance to set aside time to catch up afterward, as you can only be off the phone for 30 seconds at a time, and only to enter your notes. On the other hand, you're sent home unpaid for the rest of your shift if call traffic tapers off too much. On the third hand, you're expected to be available around the clock for any amount of overtime work if the company deems it necessary, and you can be fired if you balk. Overall, avoid this place unless it's a life and death matter, and maybe even then.

Please finish failing.

Lots of opportunity to learn the business but don't stay.

Former Employee - Property/Casualty Agent for USAA Subcontracted in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of training to get you licensed in P&C. Plenty of chance to meet like-minded people interested in learning valuable skills.

Cons

Continual limitations on what can be done with the training. Originally was trained for certain portions and then later was told that wasn't allowed to do those things.

Decide on what was allowed to be done and what wasn't. Don't change in mid-process.

Sitel Photos