Sitel

Sitel Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Sitel President & CEO Bert Quintana

Bert Quintana

Pros:
  • "i work from home so less stress then going into the office"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There aren't any, besides meeting some good people"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "This call center is the absolute definition of micro-management"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Wondering how you're supposed to produce great customer service and know your stats and whatnot"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work at home convenience but tough on personal life

Call Center Agent (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sitel full-time for more than a year

ProsWork at home available
Good technology to enable work at home
Helpful coaches and subject matter experts (SME's)

ConsUnpredictable hours
Inconsistent application of policy
Low hourly rate does not match stress of working certain accounts
No upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementGive agents a set start and stop time each day.
Do not penalize agents with shortened lunch breaks because you cannot properly predict call volume.

Banking customer service

Customer Service Representative Banking (Former Employee)
Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Sitel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was a very fast paced environment, with plenty of calls coming in to keep you busy

ConsIt was very hard to do your job professionally when everyone is not treated as equal. The management plays favorites while the others bust their butts to do a great job without recognition. Everyone is not trained properly and it goes on deaf ears when trying to pass that info along. The parking is terrible and you need walking shoes just to travel from the parking lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementBigger building, closer parking and listen to the employees who are relaying issues with management. Most of them do not care!

Great company

WFM (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Sitel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun work environment, development role, career role, procedures already established, motivation. Management can develop you very well for getting a position to continue growing. I like the environment, the way people treat you.

Consnot everyone get same opportunity, limited opportunities, no incentives within some departments

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivation and incentives in equal reason. Company values are getting stronger.

Good Company

I have been working at Sitel

ProsSolid track record, great company interaction with sourcers, diversity in the workplace, easy to get hired, convenient locations nationwide, great benefits

ConsHigh turnover rate, not very flexible with employees, very easy to get fired, some offices are great big high school/middle schools (in mentality that is), not family friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementSeveral of your employees are really dedicated to you. Do something nice for them!

Good and bad experience

Starkville, MS

I worked at Sitel for more than 5 years

ProsEnjoyed talking to many different individuals from around the country, benefits

Conscompensation, if you were promoted you are stuck doing all the work with little pay, lack of training, no perks, some feel that having a job is a good enough perk for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentive to promote increased work ethic and output. Show appreciation to not only supervisors but to agents, as well.

It's a job

I have been working at Sitel full-time for more than 10 years

Prosmy work "family", you spend so much time with these people they truly do become some of your closest friends.

Conspay, we haven't had raises in several years. wages were raised across the board last year as the starting wage was increased but several employees who had been there for many years were told they didn't get one because they were capped out for their positions wages. Yet the cost of living in our area has almost doubled.

Advice to Senior Managementremember who is doing your dirty work, don't boast that the parent company has made a profit when we can't pay our rent

The Walmart of call centers.

Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sitel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCoaches and trainers were hands-on and supportive. The DirecTV campaign provides comped DirecTV service, although I don't believe other campaigns offer a similar benefit. Medical insurance was very helpful.

ConsYou start maybe $1 an hour more than Taco Bell and if you work real hard for over two years, you might get TWO dollars more than at Taco Bell. Hourly tops out at $10.90 and as I understand it, salaried supervisors don't gross much better. Management as a whole is disorganized and work is more stressful than it should be as we try to cram more and more call components into the same Average Handle Time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs "cost conscious" as they are they would actually save more money if they didn't do everything on the cheap. Several positions (like workforce/schedule management) are actually unstaffed or run from Mumbai because it would cost money to have the job staffed by someone on site. One former Operations Manager actually told his coaches, "Our IT sucks because you get what you pay for."

The Walmart of call centers.

Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sitel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTraining instructors were very hands-on and helpful, I liked the people I worked with. The DirecTV campaign provides free satellite TV service (I don't think other campaigns provide a similar compensation). Medical insurance was helpful.

ConsStarting pay is maybe $1 more than Taco Bell and tops out at $10.90 for hourly. As I understand it, salaried supervisors don't gross much better. Administration is very disorganized and actual call center work is more stressful than it needs to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey would actually lose less money if they quit trying to do everything on the cheap. Several positions (for real-time workforce management, for instance) are simply not staffed in order to not pay people. One former operations manager had actually admitted to coach staff, "Our IT sucks because you get what you pay for."

It should be so much better.

Call Receiver - CR (Former Employee)

I worked at Sitel full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking from home is great, if you can remain disciplined. My campaign provided work equipment (which failed occasionally, but you can have your PTO put in for their equipment failures - it's about the only time you can use it).

Our campaign was 24/7 so there should have been a variety of shifts available. Benefits are OK and available for full-time agents after 90 days. Bi-weekly pay is decent compared to most work-at-home call receiving jobs, and scheduled raises are great in the beginning.

Paid training.

ConsThere's no one clear answer to most questions despite the "guide" they give you for reference being crystal clear... SMEs (subject matter experts; helpers) will give you different answers to your questions. There is so much confusion all the time whether we should be an advocate for the members/customers or whether we just stick to policy. Get ready to play the blame game -- "This SME told me to do this."

Speaking of SMEs, oh, they're great... Just understand that they are still looking out for themselves first. Don't expect to become one; the ones that are there have been around since the beginning, and the few that are pulled to act as SMEs are told clearly that they are not actually SMEs -- just subbing in. Those "temporary" SMEs are usually horrible, by the way. They give some really bad advice, and several times almost got people fired for those "SMEs" mistakes.

Scheduling is very hit or miss. Shift bids really show you what's important at this company... If you have great AHT and stats, don't assume you're going to be top of the pack. Great quality scores? Doesn't matter. They pick specific things -- average # of calls submitted, absenteeism -- those things totally matter but shouldn't be weighted as high as they are. Missed 2 days one month? Yeah, you're probably 50th or worse, out of 200. 100% quality out of 6 calls? Yeah, well, you missed a day, so someone with an average score of 65 out of 3 calls will be higher ranked than you.

Oh, and on scheduling -- mandatory overtime. Get used to it! At least on my campaign, there was SO much mandatory overtime. It doesn't matter if you have a mandated schedule from a doctor, or if you were approved to not have to work past 3 PM because of personal/family issues... You're almost guaranteed to work normal shifts 15-30 mins past your cut-off time, or 1 hour or more with mandatory overtime. I worked shifts where I had to come in 2 hours early or 1 hour before & after. Part-timers are not immune to extra hours being tacked on but don't get the benefit of overtime pay. Usually you get at least 3 days advance warning on overtime, but sometimes not. Check your schedule carefully.

Supervisors... I was switched teams/supervisors more than 10 times in about a year. I lost count. I couldn't even name them all. Wondering how you're supposed to produce great customer service and know your stats and whatnot? Me, too! I went for 5 months without a single coaching 1-on-1 or team meeting... both of which are EXTREMELY rare. 1 on 1s/team meetings are consistently canceled due to "high call volume" even if you have 15 seconds availability between calls. Don't expect to have much feedback except when they're listening to you without your knowledge (if you have a supervisor that bothers). Also, QA department doesn't send feedback directly to you anymore. It's all a guessing game on how you're doing.

Supervisors always seem too busy to talk. Trying to get supervisors to take an escalated call shouldn't be THIS hard. You've got a chatroom full of them, but only one is there, and this is their response, no matter what you tell them you've tried: "Did you call dispatch? Call dispatch again and see if there's anything they can do. You've done that? Where's the driver? Still 45 minutes out? Did you even TRY to de-escalate? Tell them there's nothing your sup can do. They STILL want to talk to a coach? Do they want to file a complaint or what? Fine. Call me... (Call them) Okay, so what's going on? ... Here, try calling the shop. You've done that? Sigh, fine, transfer him over."

Over all, I'd say think very carefully about your life before you take a job here. If you're willing to put in extra work all the time, give up hours with your family despite them being in the next room, and fight with customers, supervisors, AND SMEs... Go ahead. It's income.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone is on the same page. Stop flip-flopping on your rules. If your supervisors are truly that busy, figure out a way to manage your tasks better/teach them how to manage their workloads so they may interact with their teams. Treat your employees like employees. Give them feedback. Encourage their good behaviors, and MAKE SURE they are doing their jobs correctly and not just creating more work for everyone else.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Sitel

ProsThe Career Opportunities are great and very innovative company

ConsThe wage freeze and the drama in the sites from employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Worked for Sitel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sitel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sitel CEO Bert Quintana. All 266 reviews posted anonymously by Sitel employees.