Sitel

Updated March 3, 2015
2.4

Sitel President & CEO Bert Quintana
Bert Quintana

Pros
  • I've done the online for the work-at-home assessment - so far, so good (in 21 reviews)

• Learned a lot about customer service and the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Administration is very disorganized and actual call center work is more stressful than it needs to be (in 16 reviews)

• You cannot even defend your employees with upper management as they feel everyone is replaceable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working for this company!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, AL

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Co workers, Great coaches

Cons

Management is lacking or acts like they are better than you

I enjoyed the opportunity to learn and grow.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Sitel

Pros

The hiring process was smooth. The trainer was very kind. I enjoyed the opportunity to help my customers with their problems. I found that part of the work to be a rewarding challenge. I also was happy to be able to work from home, because I live in a small town and employment opportunities are few and far between unless you are working in fast food, even with a degree.

Cons

Where do I start with the cons? I have very strong views about work-ethics as well as how an effective leader should act. That being said, I believe it is ridiculous to not allow an employee to make a reasonable request for a specific day off (in this case for a doctors appointment that has been set months in advance), or to punish an individual for calling off work when legitimately sick (had doctors statements and was never asked for them or told how to send them in). Additionally, I also feel very strongly that it is unacceptable for agents to not be logged in when scheduled for a shift unless there is a reason which they have made known to a supervisor. Finally, food-delivery is not an incentive. Pizza parties are for grown-ups not children.

The particular campaign for which I worked was for a major retail establishment yet we were provided with both hardware and software that was not reliable for the type of work we were doing. It is not acceptable to have to reboot one's system while trying to make small-talk with a customer to pass the time. The most grievous complaint that I have towards this particular employer is the misguided focus on pushing surveys off on customers. If you focus, instead on insuring that agents are properly trained and able to provide the services to the customers that are necessary and pertinent to the particular situation then not only would you get plenty of positive feedback from the customers, the client would see it as well. Stressing something like offering the VOC survey, especially when the customer has already said NO once is bordering on harassment. One last bit of advice, leaders inspire those whom they lead to put their all into it because they are engaged. This is not accomplished by micromanagement. This is accomplished by knowing and understanding that a leader is their to be not just a leader but a servant to those whom they serve. Consistent, effective communication, in both positive and negative matters, ensuring that hard work is recognized, and ensuring that there is a clearly defined chain of command for call escalation make things much more efficient. Last but not least, integrity is a two-way street. When an agent is hired for a particular shift, for instance opening shift and then switched to nights without warning, explanation, or at least an apology, the agent is probably going to be upset and feel that they are not valued by their employer. We are not chattel. We are people who have lives outside of work. We have children, families, obligations to community service organizations, etc. Without us, you don't have a company.

Good Start for a Fresher

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Sitel

Pros

Decent Package and the management is cool.....

Cons

Fun at work -forget it

technical support representative

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Sitel (more than 5 years)

Pros

GREAT co-workers
    Overtime is offered regularly

Cons

new HSA insurance is a rip off
    lazy supervisors who pass their responsibilities off on other people as well as pass their representatives responsibilities off on tech support
    salary
    vacation time (not enough for this stressful environment)
    no sick days
    old attendance policy was awful; would still get an occurrence with a doctor's excuse
    unprofessional and rude mgmt

Learn how to talk to people
    Provide our feedback and issues to the client
    Address supervisors who refuse to take sup calls

Not how you work....but who you know.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Sitel full-time

Pros

Better than a food service job

Cons

Everything. From favoritism to insane rules that are not consistent across the board. If they like you...then you can pretty much sleep on the job and they love you still. A lot of needless turn over is due to this.

Work on the morale instead of brow beating people into submission.

SITEL Work at home EMAIL replying

Former Employee - Customer Service in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was implied this was a full time and growth opportunity. Told we would be graded on answering complex email with QUALITY and not quality.

Cons

Lied to by everyone in the entire management chain. It's degrading to be pushed to answer emails that each have their own degree of complexity with precise and perfect answers and meet goals of 75 to 120 per hour. Worked hard, punching out high numbers while their systems continually crashed. Called late on a Saturday night to not report back to work. No feedback.

Just tell everyone your company is a meat mill and that you will be starving if your are depending on this job to pay you enough to meet the demands for a silent room, that the poor mother must have have sitters on slave wages, they tell people they are valuable until the campaign ramps down, and they make the work from home people pay for their monitors, their internet, all to be required to paid out of pocket from a 9 an hour wage. From that pretaxed wage you pay for a 60 a month Internet , 100 a week baby sitter, and then you lay people off without notice. Sitel lies about benefits because they structure employment so most will never make a continuous position transition to the better positions. Shame on companies using Sitel services because you don't have to see what that you are a slum lord employer. You know who you are.

Awful!

I have been working at Sitel

Pros

Has competent trainers and good workplace can learn a lot

Cons

Awful Pay and middle management is very bad

Poorly managed...very high turn over

Former Employee - Bilinguel Technical Support in Saint John, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Bilinguel Technical Support in Saint John, NB (Canada)

I worked at Sitel (more than a year)

Pros

The pro were that since most people that work there don't really care its easy to get advancement.

Cons

Low pay. Micro managed at all times. Ill trained trainers...

Get better a interview process

become a mole person! Shun the light of day!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntington, WV

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get a filthy cubicle with stained walls of your very own! And a chair to sit in, oh boy!

Cons

In the future if humans burrow beneath the earth and create a sunless hellscape of fluorescent lighting, filthy soul crushing monotonous cubicle walls, and chained themselves to demonic devices to gain nourishment. This is that future.

You will never see the sun again, you will never gain enough profit to escape. Shackle yourself to your cage and leave all hope for the survivors on the surface. This job is a slow death.

Flee! Escape! Lead a band of those hopeless, obese, pale slug men out of this den and into the glorious sun again! Redeem yourselves!

Most Stressful Work Environment/Recycles People

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that you work with people that are just as stressed out as you and trying to find a way out of this company.

Cons

Very stressful work environment, this place probably has the highest turn over rate out of any company in America. They recycle people. They can cause you to do things you wouldnt normally do like drink, smoke ect... just to take your mind off the stress.

Dont talk down or be rude to your employees you are not better than them treat them with decency and respect like any normal human being.

Sitel Photos