Sitel

Updated November 22, 2014
2.5

Sitel President & CEO Bert Quintana
Bert Quintana

Pros
  • There are no good reasons to work from home with Sitel (in 20 reviews)

• Learned a lot about customer service and the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Administration is very disorganized and actual call center work is more stressful than it needs to be (in 16 reviews)

• 9/hr for a customer service position; the same job with another company could earn you (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Never Again

Former Employee - Technical Support in East Stroudsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in East Stroudsburg, PA

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was paid on time every week.

Cons

dont' work here
    manager where never there

YOU GUYS TRULY SUCK I'M GLAD I NO LONGER WORK FOR YOUR COMPANY I WAS PRISONER IN MY OWN HOME.

Sitel is without question, the absolute worst company I've EVER worked for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of a single one. I guess getting to leave at the end of your shift is probably the best thing about it. If you ABSOLUTELY NEED a paycheck and can't get one anywhere else, it's alright to work their just long enough to get interviewed somewhere else.

Cons

Ugh...First, probably 80% of the employees looked like they were addicted to some form of drug. Most looked awful and smelled worse. They supposedly have a dress code, but you wouldn't know it from all the people wearing everything from gym shorts and sandals to pajama bottoms and slippers. It's sad when there's a sign in one of the training rooms that actually says "Please keep your shoes on".

Management is an absolute joke. Trainers were very nice, I especially liked mine, but coaches and up were the worst. The Head Coach for the campaign I worked on may actually be one of the worst human beings I've ever encountered. She walks around with this pretend front of wanting to help, but she has no problem being as rude as possible to your face. Rather than up and quitting like most people do, I did them enough respect to let them know that I had been hired by another company with a pay rate double to what they offered. I tried to be nice by saying "I enjoyed working here" to which the same coach had the audacity to say to me "You never worked here". She has no idea how close I came to telling her where she could stick her ridiculous $8.25 an hour.

The pay is atrocious. They start at $1.00 over minimum wage, but are big on telling you how you can supplement your pay with sales. While I was training, it was repeatedly impressed upon me that an individual on my campaign had just gotten a $3,000 commission check. They want you to believe that a check like that is fairly close to standard...as long as you apply yourself. What they won't tell you, something that every phone REP will, is that only happened one time. Looking at the average commission check sheet that they keep on the first wall you see upon walking into the campaign area, the average commission is between $100.00 to $200.00 per rep, per month.

I'm not a fan of someone using their cell phone at their desk. I firmly believe that if you're on the clock, you're being paid to do a job, not sit and text to your family and friends, however, I do understand that it's very nice to have on you in case someone absolutely needs to get in touch with you. Sitel has a policy of absolutely no electronic equipment of any kind at your desk, to which they enforce under the guise of privacy protection. I see no problem with this policy at all, however, when it doesn't apply to everyone, it's not right, nor is it fair. If a coach happens to like you on a personal level, or even worse, if they are trying to get into a rep's pants (this happens more than you can imagine) coaches and mentors will overlook the fact that you have your phone on you and may even be texting in your cubicle. When coaches aren't playing favorites, they have no problem walking around texting, showing you pictures that they have taken, or even showing you stuff on their personal Facebook, all from their phone, because mentors and coaches are not subject to the no electronics policy. They have a red piece of construction paper to signify this (I wish that were a joke).

The bathrooms are a constant mess and they are treated by most as a porta-potty, or outhouse and they smell even worse, but they pale in comparison to the cafeteria and rest area. It looks like something you might see in a housing project. They go out of their way to overcharge for anything they sell on site, and then they charge tax on top of it. They've got some guy that comes in every day who apparently makes "homemade" food. He's not an employee, nor is he what you would consider a vendor. This is some guy who comes in, brings the $0.25 snack bags of chips, a hot plate, and hamburger patties and cooks meals that cost what you would expect to pay at Chick-Fil-A. Now, I can't say a lot about that, because you're not required to make anything, but he cooks in the actual common area. Because of this, there are full garbage cans of rotting food, mixed with the smell of whatever he is cooking. Let the idea of that smell combination sink in for a moment. The first time I saw it, I wasn't sure it was really happening. There are gnats, flies, and while I never saw one, I was repeatedly told by other reps to check my belongings at the end of each shift for roaches.

I could go on and on, but I guess the easiest way to sum up the entire Sitel experience is with the following statement...When a company hires you the day you first walk in the door to fill out an application and then holds a new training class as soon as the last session lets out, that should tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the caliber of job you're going into.

-Rethink keeping some of the Comcast coaches as employees
    -Stop lying to employees
    -Don't steal sales from your reps every chance you get
    -Enforce your own damn policies
    -Stop expecting people to bend over backward to work hard for you when you're only willing to pay them at a poverty level standard
    -Tell people when they interview if the campaign they are interviewing for requires mandatory overtime. Don't let them find out about it in their last week of training, after they've already made accommodations with their schedules.
    -Don't walk up to someone an hour before their shift is over and tell them you need them for another two hours.
    -Stop degrading your employees with things like, and I quote "Once you hit a certain percentage, you get an extra piece of candy"...seriously, wtf!?

I have enjoyed working here all these years

Current Employee - Technical Support in Starkville, MS
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Starkville, MS

I have been working at Sitel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They always try to promote from within. Get a lot of benefits with lots of companies. Normally they promote someone in at least 6 months or less.

Cons

Favoritism, no matter how they try to stop it, someone always ends up showing less qualified people more opportunities or give them more chances.

You are already doing a great job, the only way to limit the con would be to have someone constantly visit or to have an inside person keeping an eye on things

My experience at Sitel was amazing.

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employers are very easy to work for. Everyone is very easy going, understanding, and the open door policy is actively used. The coaching and training are excellent. They do everything possible to ensure that you know how to do your job and how to do it to the best of your ability.

Cons

The only challenges that I came across was the pay. They definitely need to increase the past rates, and the incentives.

Increase pay for the employees, and make sure incentives are applied.

Sitel work at home

I have been working at Sitel full-time

Pros

Being in the comfort of your home, the only thing you have to purchase is a monitor

Cons

getting paid nine dollars an hour. Why ask somebody what they would want as a mim on an application but then say its nine no negotiating. Just because you are at home doesn't mean pay has to be that low. People still have bills.

up pay to at least eleven dollars.

I would have to say Sitel is a friendly, fun place where you are a customer service representative who helps customers.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Painted Post, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Painted Post, NY

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best things about working at sitel is the ability to grow in the company. You are able to have contests between teams and make the day fun.

Cons

Some of the cons for working at sitel are the fact that you can become overwhelmed with all the customers, you can have a co-work come in and put you in a bad mood.

To advance to management you would have to show you are able to do your job on a daily basis and apply for the position. Then you go through the training.

Starter Call Center

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job, flexible hours, easy promotions

Cons

terrible pay, poor management structure, and less than adequate equipment

raise pay.

Sitel is not the best place to work!!

I worked at Sitel full-time

Pros

FRIENDS, PAYCHECK, ITS A JOB

Cons

you have to kiss managements butt in order to get somewhere...you do not get treated fairly!!!

TREAT EVERYONE FAIRLY AND WITH RESPECT!!!!!!!

My experience was just ok!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coaches care about thier team and give incentives to show they care!

Cons

This company shows favortism and they do not promote their employees for different positions based on their job well done.

Treat your employees equally and fairly!

No Reviews

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Sitel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Just another Temporary Job for the Graduating Kids. A Day Care Center is what it became.

Cons

There Are None. This Job was Very Unsanitary

High Manager Turn over. Another Training Center for other Call Centers in Augusta.

Sitel Photos