Sitel

Updated December 19, 2014
2.5

Sitel President & CEO Bert Quintana
Bert Quintana

Pros
  • I've done the online for the work-at-home assessment - so far, so good (in 21 reviews)

• Learned a lot about customer service and the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Administration is very disorganized and actual call center work is more stressful than it needs to be (in 16 reviews)

• You cannot even defend your employees with upper management as they feel everyone is replaceable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible company

Former Employee - Work At Home Telephone Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sitel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

working from home is the only pro with this company.

Cons

The level of communication is awful here. When I requested a shift change to have Sundays off, they changed my schedule for one week and after that, it went back to the same schedule as before. I was constantly pressured to work overtime hours from coaches even though I clearly made it known that I could not work additional hours because I was in school. They go back on their word and say one thing, but do something else. THE PAY METHOD IS HORRIBLE!!!!! I set up direct deposit from day one and had nothing but issues in receiving my pay. During my training, several of us had to receive pay cards because our pay was so behind and I am still waiting on my two paychecks to this day!!!!

VALUE your employees!!! We are the ones that are doing the work and want to feel appreciated. Also, communication needs to be standard across the board and not mixed messages. The pay issue needs to be rectified right away!!!!!

Disorganized, constantly changing rules, schedules, and management.

Former Employee - Tech Support Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Agent in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sitel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Comfy at home position. Great start for at-home work. They provide most of the equipment you need for free.

Cons

Low starting pay for experienced workers, fluctuating schedule, ever changing rules, equipment/program failure.

Raises are only .25 cents IF you qualify, starting pay is a joke, especially if you're coming in with experience, favoritism is shown to employees (who are "cool" with Supes or Coaches) who are doing even less than you are in the form of kudos and perks, training and company protocol is not uniform-one minute you're given one set of rules to do things, the next you're being written up for doing EXACTLY what they told you to do. Apparently, management can't agree on anything and this confusion trickles down to their employees. You're supposed to have a set schedule that changes every 3 months, but don't get used to that-you will soon realize that they change the schedule whenever they please-sometimes every week to 2 weeks, when they realize they scheduled incorrectly based on metrics.

MAJOR advice to Management: Being that we're hired BECAUSE we're great at customer service, training should be more campaign-oriented instead of customer service oriented. That would get rid of some of the monotony of training, and more importantly, not throw your agents like a deer in headlights with little to no real training on the campaign at hand and leave us sounding like dunces on the phone.

Not as good as it looks

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working from home is great, save on gas, and being in the comfort of my home

Cons

Not very good communication between employees/mentors/supervisors/trainers, feels like the idea is "quantity over quality", misleading information was provided during training (ex: holiday hours/pay, sick days, pay increases, paid time off, etc..), often treated as nothing more than a number, "promotions" given that pile on the responsibilities and do not include more pay. It also bothers me that part time employees are kept at a 39.5 hour week basis, strategically placing them outside the benefit qualifying zone. If employees were truly valued they would be decent human beings about it.

Small things, such as providing employees with access to basic needs, such as health insurance, and proper sick leave, can really boost moral and dedication. Turnover rates would probably not be so high if employees felt valued and cared for properly. It almost feels as if these conditions are provided in hopes that temporary, fleeting employment is had.

So far, so good!

Current Employee - Home Based Call Center Representative
    Current Employee - Home Based Call Center Representative

I have been working at Sitel part-time

Pros

I haven't started work yet, but I wanted to say the hiring process was quick and smooth. Everything is done through e-mail, and so far i have not had to pay any fees. Also, the shifts are all in one block of time, no split shifts.

Cons

So far I have not found any negatives to speak of.

battered Customer Service rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sitel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy work, nice people , very understanding

Cons

young crowd , YOU ARE TREATED LIKE A KID

work on exclueding colored hair and excessive body piercings

Where do I stand ?

I have been working at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at home if ever given the opportunity.

Cons

I've had two interviews with this company so far, I was offered the job on the first interview. After second interview I was told I should be receiving an email with instructions on drug testing and so on. STILL WAITING ON THAT EMAIL!!!.Its been two days already and I've given notice to my other job which paid more money, but had a horrible commute.

If hiring customer service reps why not offer customer service to potential employees. Seems like a simple thing to do.

Never Again

Former Employee - Technical Support in East Stroudsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in East Stroudsburg, PA

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was paid on time every week.

Cons

dont' work here
    manager where never there

YOU GUYS TRULY SUCK I'M GLAD I NO LONGER WORK FOR YOUR COMPANY I WAS PRISONER IN MY OWN HOME.

Sitel is without question, the absolute worst company I've EVER worked for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of a single one. I guess getting to leave at the end of your shift is probably the best thing about it. If you ABSOLUTELY NEED a paycheck and can't get one anywhere else, it's alright to work their just long enough to get interviewed somewhere else.

Cons

Ugh...First, probably 80% of the employees looked like they were addicted to some form of drug. Most looked awful and smelled worse. They supposedly have a dress code, but you wouldn't know it from all the people wearing everything from gym shorts and sandals to pajama bottoms and slippers. It's sad when there's a sign in one of the training rooms that actually says "Please keep your shoes on".

Management is an absolute joke. Trainers were very nice, I especially liked mine, but coaches and up were the worst. The Head Coach for the campaign I worked on may actually be one of the worst human beings I've ever encountered. She walks around with this pretend front of wanting to help, but she has no problem being as rude as possible to your face. Rather than up and quitting like most people do, I did them enough respect to let them know that I had been hired by another company with a pay rate double to what they offered. I tried to be nice by saying "I enjoyed working here" to which the same coach had the audacity to say to me "You never worked here". She has no idea how close I came to telling her where she could stick her ridiculous $8.25 an hour.

The pay is atrocious. They start at $1.00 over minimum wage, but are big on telling you how you can supplement your pay with sales. While I was training, it was repeatedly impressed upon me that an individual on my campaign had just gotten a $3,000 commission check. They want you to believe that a check like that is fairly close to standard...as long as you apply yourself. What they won't tell you, something that every phone REP will, is that only happened one time. Looking at the average commission check sheet that they keep on the first wall you see upon walking into the campaign area, the average commission is between $100.00 to $200.00 per rep, per month.

I'm not a fan of someone using their cell phone at their desk. I firmly believe that if you're on the clock, you're being paid to do a job, not sit and text to your family and friends, however, I do understand that it's very nice to have on you in case someone absolutely needs to get in touch with you. Sitel has a policy of absolutely no electronic equipment of any kind at your desk, to which they enforce under the guise of privacy protection. I see no problem with this policy at all, however, when it doesn't apply to everyone, it's not right, nor is it fair. If a coach happens to like you on a personal level, or even worse, if they are trying to get into a rep's pants (this happens more than you can imagine) coaches and mentors will overlook the fact that you have your phone on you and may even be texting in your cubicle. When coaches aren't playing favorites, they have no problem walking around texting, showing you pictures that they have taken, or even showing you stuff on their personal Facebook, all from their phone, because mentors and coaches are not subject to the no electronics policy. They have a red piece of construction paper to signify this (I wish that were a joke).

The bathrooms are a constant mess and they are treated by most as a porta-potty, or outhouse and they smell even worse, but they pale in comparison to the cafeteria and rest area. It looks like something you might see in a housing project. They go out of their way to overcharge for anything they sell on site, and then they charge tax on top of it. They've got some guy that comes in every day who apparently makes "homemade" food. He's not an employee, nor is he what you would consider a vendor. This is some guy who comes in, brings the $0.25 snack bags of chips, a hot plate, and hamburger patties and cooks meals that cost what you would expect to pay at Chick-Fil-A. Now, I can't say a lot about that, because you're not required to make anything, but he cooks in the actual common area. Because of this, there are full garbage cans of rotting food, mixed with the smell of whatever he is cooking. Let the idea of that smell combination sink in for a moment. The first time I saw it, I wasn't sure it was really happening. There are gnats, flies, and while I never saw one, I was repeatedly told by other reps to check my belongings at the end of each shift for roaches.

I could go on and on, but I guess the easiest way to sum up the entire Sitel experience is with the following statement...When a company hires you the day you first walk in the door to fill out an application and then holds a new training class as soon as the last session lets out, that should tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the caliber of job you're going into.

-Rethink keeping some of the Comcast coaches as employees
    -Stop lying to employees
    -Don't steal sales from your reps every chance you get
    -Enforce your own damn policies
    -Stop expecting people to bend over backward to work hard for you when you're only willing to pay them at a poverty level standard
    -Tell people when they interview if the campaign they are interviewing for requires mandatory overtime. Don't let them find out about it in their last week of training, after they've already made accommodations with their schedules.
    -Don't walk up to someone an hour before their shift is over and tell them you need them for another two hours.
    -Stop degrading your employees with things like, and I quote "Once you hit a certain percentage, you get an extra piece of candy"...seriously, wtf!?

I have enjoyed working here all these years

Current Employee - Technical Support in Starkville, MS
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Starkville, MS

I have been working at Sitel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They always try to promote from within. Get a lot of benefits with lots of companies. Normally they promote someone in at least 6 months or less.

Cons

Favoritism, no matter how they try to stop it, someone always ends up showing less qualified people more opportunities or give them more chances.

You are already doing a great job, the only way to limit the con would be to have someone constantly visit or to have an inside person keeping an eye on things

My experience at Sitel was amazing.

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at Sitel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employers are very easy to work for. Everyone is very easy going, understanding, and the open door policy is actively used. The coaching and training are excellent. They do everything possible to ensure that you know how to do your job and how to do it to the best of your ability.

Cons

The only challenges that I came across was the pay. They definitely need to increase the past rates, and the incentives.

Increase pay for the employees, and make sure incentives are applied.

Sitel Photos